ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Which two teams should get the final playoff spots?

Which two teams should get the final playoff spots?

• FSU and Texas

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • FSU and Alabama

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • FSU and Georgia

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Texas and Alabama

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • Texas and Georgia

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Alabama and Georgia

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Michigan beats tOSU in the final regular season game and moves up one spot (from #3 to #2), while tOSU drops down to .. what? #6?! even though it's only loss was to the #3 team on the road by one score.

Alabama (#8) beats Georgia (#1) in their conference championship game and leapfrogs into the top 4 (as some predict)? Why? Let me guess .. it was because they beat the best team (even though that spurious ranking was one spot ahead of Michigan's win against OSU?). Yeah - that shouldn't matter. I can see Georgia dropping somewhat and Alabama moving up somewhat .. but not "Let's change everything because they beat a team with a ranking that perhaps they didn't deserve in the first place".

Washington is an undefeated conference champion. Michigan is an undefeated conference champion. FSU (as dreadful as they looked last night) is an undefeated conference champion. Everything else, to me, is a one-loss team, and it should come down to SOS, best wins/worst losses, etc. Make it quantitative.

Lots of hate for Alabama but they won the SEC and beat the last number 1 in the poll and reigning champ…and only had one loss..vs. a top team…early in the season. They belong. The problem is you can’t have them and not Texas..therefore FSU should be out.regardless of being undefeated. FSU SOS is also comparatively very poor.

If FSU doesn’t get in, they might bolt the ACC even sooner than expected.

Last edited:
Lots of hate for Alabama but they won the SEC and beat the last number 1 in the poll and reigning champ…and only had one loss..vs. a top team…early in the season. They belong. The problem is you can’t have them and not Texas..therefore FSU should be out.regardless of being undefeated
At least when FSU loses their semi-final, it won’t be a total blowout. Their D is pretty good. They’ll keep it to a three possession game until very late.

Alabama is the best team right now. They started season slowly.
The 3 best teams are Michigan, Bama, and Georgia. What would the line be if Georgia played FSU or Texas on a neutral field? Georgia +10? Maybe +14.

That said, it would be hysterical is the SEC got completed shut out. LOL!

Bama and Grorgia is no more worthy of being an option than OSU and Michigan. Was that the Paul Finebaum write in vote?

11-1 OSU has an interesting resume.

Win over #10 PSU (better than FSU best win and Georgia best win)

Only loss to #1 Michigan (better than every other teams loss)

Bama and Grorgia is no more worthy of being an option than OSU and Michigan. Was that the Paul Finebaum write in vote?
As per the CFP committee, selection is about the 4 "best" teams, not the most "worthy" or "deserving". That's not their mandate.

Who are the best 4 teams? That's what is being determined.

As per the CFP committee, selection is about the 4 "best" teams, not the most "worthy" or "deserving". That's not their mandate.

Who are the best 4 teams? That's what is being determined.
What does "best" even mean? Best body of work over 12 or 13 games? Or best team right now, taking into account current injuries? I feel strongly that it should be the former, that the evaluation should be backward looking. We shall see.

Woody is already rolling over thinking about a terrible ACC team getting in over the Buckeyes. Hey NCAA, respect the game!

Reactions: SkilletHead2
What does "best" even mean? Best body of work over 12 or 13 games? Or best team right now, taking into account current injuries? I feel strongly that it should be the former, that the evaluation should be backward looking. We shall see.
Obviously, it's all opinion and subjective, but the selection committee is on the record numerous times that their mandate is to pick the 4 "best" teams at the end of the season. So I guess best right now.

Lots of hate for Alabama but they won the SEC and beat the last number 1 in the poll and reigning champ…and only had one loss..vs. a top team…early in the season. They belong. The problem is you can’t have them and not Texas..therefore FSU should be out.regardless of being undefeated. FSU SOS is also comparatively very poor.

If FSU doesn’t get in, they might bolt the ACC even sooner than expected.
Did you watch their games? They were and are not a top 4 team by any stretch.

Bama 4-1 against top 25 and sos #5?
FSu 3-0 and sos #55?

Says it all.
+1
Very different resumes. The committee played it safe and put TX in before Bama. But seriously, what would the spread be if Georgia and TX played on a neutral field? Probably Georgia plus double digits.

Confirmation that going forward, even in a 12 team playoff, it’s pretty much the B1G and SEC that matter before anything else. All four CFP teams are future B1G/SEC teams.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
One thing for certain, big and sec are only conferences that matter

Nobody weeps for "G5" unbeaten gets left out but then it's end of the world when a "P5" unbeaten gets left out.

What's good for the goose.....

FSU will get the screw in spite of an undefeated season....they're looking for the best 4, not necesarily the perfect record. Texas will be #3 vs. Washington and Michigan vs Alabama. FSU and Georgia at 5 and 6.
And that's exactly how it turned out. FSU gets screwed and Georgia lost the one game they couldn't afford to lose.

Did you watch their games? They were and are not a top 4 team by any stretch.
I saw at least 5 of them and I disagree. They don’t blow teams out like some others but they got it exactly right, IMO…and right now, they are better than FSU without Jordan.

I agree with you Nick. If we're looking at things, quantitatively, I believe OSU should be selected. Not necessarily for that win against PSU but for their loss to Michigan.

The criteria that the Selection Committee has used/made known publicly is "difficult" to say the least and even contradictory, in some cases. For example, if you are a team that has played in a conference championship game, then you play an extra game. If you win that game, you win that conference, sure .. but, more so, you may now have as many (or more) wins than another team with whom you share as many losses -- or possibly, even more! But, on the other hand, if you lose that game -- as Georgia did last night -- does that mean you're automatically eliminated from contention because that loss came in your final game (as opposed to Texas' which came several weeks ago)? Or, FSU - which won their conference by playing a SOS much, MUCH weaker than any of those one-loss teams (#37). They are somehow MORE deserving because you won against weak competition? Maybe a conference championship shouldn't matter as much.

This has to be the most difficult year in that - I don't think there have been the number of undefeated/one-loss teams vying for the fewest number of available spots, with so many trying to make their case.

But, I think the real problem is HOW the SEC schedules their games. The best teams in that conference play one-another SOOOOOO rarely (compared to the B1G, where Michigan and OSU play one-another every year). As well, due to their depth, they can afford to play those middling conference games early in the season, then kick back and relax by playing FCS competition late in the season, when their starters are banged up. By doing so, they've already acquired a high ranking, which isn't in jeopardy when they post a win against inferior FCS competition, and stroll into the post-season. Meanwhile, a conference like ours, we're playing our toughest games at the end of the season. Frankly, I think THIS is something the Selection Committee should take into account.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT