ADVERTISEMENT

“Think B1G”

This clip must've been posted 5-6 times in various threads here but it hasn't gotten old yet for me lol.

Some history and info about that theme in an Athletic article yesterday.

From the article:

The song was written to introduce the Super Bowl XXI telecast on CBS. It became the theme of college football on CBS in 1987, nine years before CBS started televising SEC games regularly. But thanks to more than two decades of classic matchups at 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS on fall Saturdays, not many people think of composer Lloyd Landesman’s nameless song as a Super Bowl anthem or as the introduction to a Mountain West game on CBS Sports Network. For a generation of college football fans, those raging synths meant one thing: SEC football.

Someone at CBS knew exactly what they were doing Thursday morning when they pressed “Send” on this tweet.

That tweet was part of a multimedia salvo Thursday from the Big Ten, Fox, CBS and NBC celebrating the finalization of a massive package of media rights deals worth a reported $8 billion over seven years that will make the Big Ten — already America’s richest conference — even richer. Even though the song never actually belonged to the SEC, it felt like CBS saying “… and we gave them your theme music, too.”

Reactions: rutgersron
The Big Ten very badly needs a national champion soon, basketball or preferably football, or all the hype will look a little overblown. "Watch us, we're the biggest, bestest conference except we haven't won a National Championship in years!"

The Big Ten very badly needs a national champion soon, basketball or preferably football, or all the hype will look a little overblown. "Watch us, we're the biggest, bestest conference except we haven't won a National Championship in years!"
OSU won in 2014-15. Yes that was 8 years ago but that's still within a decade.

Reactions: ecojew
I agree but I want to see what happens when Saban finally retires. I think he raises the level for the conference. If he's not there I wonder if that might not drop a bit and things in the SEC and in general become more cyclical.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Been saying the same for a while but others say it doesn’t matter. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: brgRC90
Been saying the same for a while but others say it doesn’t matter. 🤷‍♂️
And maybe it won't matter to ratings, but reputationwise it will. The SEC has 3 different National Champions in a row. The Big Ten has one 8 years ago, and then one 12 years before that--the same program. Nobody else has even sniffed a championship (I'm looking at YOU Michigan, with your snooty pretensions and century-old NC trophies). At least in basketball a number of programs have put in losing NC game appearances recently.

And maybe it won't matter to ratings, but reputationwise it will. The SEC has 3 different National Champions in a row. The Big Ten has one 8 years ago, and then one 12 years before that--the same program. Nobody else has even sniffed a championship (I'm looking at YOU Michigan, with your snooty pretensions and century-old NC trophies). At least in basketball a number of programs have put in losing NC game appearances recently.
That was the argument.

Everyone knows I’m the guy who says the W is the most important thing.

Sooner or later, to make it Rutgers specific, we have to as well. And by that I don’t mean playing in Indianapolis, but we have to be much better than before.

Last edited:
That was the argument.

At the very least, you have to figure that ratings would certainly be higher if more Big Ten teams were winning at a higher level. The networks will hype them nationally but a lot of fans will say "except for Ohio State those teams don't matter. Which SEC game is on?"

That was the argument.

I think it goes back to colde weather vs warm weather teams.. the bowl games favor the warm guys.

And the SEC stacked the deck as far as pre-season and in-season rankings leading to those top 2 and now top 4 slots. I think if we go to 8 or 126 with no BYEs in teh CFP.. with no more than 2 per conference for 8 and 3 for 16.. things will change.

There was one NC that was 2 SEC teams.. several 4-team CFPs where 50% of the teams were SEC and an SEC team would always get the more favorable matchup. And then add in warm vs cold... their fans usualy having easier trips to the games.

If a larger Big Ten can win in the rankings wars we may switch all this up.. just like the SEC did in the 2-oughts. NOT saying the SEC top teams are overrated NOW.. but when they started this strategy they were.. then they win some NCs and all the top talent wants that NC ring. Now they have the talent... but the hype began well BEFORE they were a dominant conference.

Anyone remember a time when we Big East fans KNEW the Big Ten teams were over-hyped? They were ABC/ESPN's prime football product back then... just like the SEC is now and has been for awhile... since enough AP writers started over-voting SEC teams from preseason on up... ESPN/ABC saw the trend and thought to cash in.

Last edited:
At the very least, you have to figure that ratings would certainly be higher if more Big Ten teams were winning at a higher level. The networks will hype them nationally but a lot of fans will say "except for Ohio State those teams don't matter. Which SEC game is on?"
Which in turn could possibly affect the ratings.

We have to WIN as a conference and win at Rutgers. Do those two things (especially the latter) and we have the back page of the Daily News and the Post.

Reactions: brgRC90
dumb-and-dumber-no-way.gif

The only negative of this deal is that it appears I will need to subscribe to Paramount+ at some point. Paramount+ is more expensive than most of the others. I pretty much already subscribe to most services so this will mostly likely just be a in season expense.

This clip must've been posted 5-6 times in various threads here but it hasn't gotten old yet for me lol.

Some history and info about that theme in an Athletic article yesterday.

From the article:

The song was written to introduce the Super Bowl XXI telecast on CBS. It became the theme of college football on CBS in 1987, nine years before CBS started televising SEC games regularly. But thanks to more than two decades of classic matchups at 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS on fall Saturdays, not many people think of composer Lloyd Landesman’s nameless song as a Super Bowl anthem or as the introduction to a Mountain West game on CBS Sports Network. For a generation of college football fans, those raging synths meant one thing: SEC football.

Someone at CBS knew exactly what they were doing Thursday morning when they pressed “Send” on this tweet.

That tweet was part of a multimedia salvo Thursday from the Big Ten, Fox, CBS and NBC celebrating the finalization of a massive package of media rights deals worth a reported $8 billion over seven years that will make the Big Ten — already America’s richest conference — even richer. Even though the song never actually belonged to the SEC, it felt like CBS saying “… and we gave them your theme music, too.”
I remember from my time at Colorado:

We matter because we now buy b*tches like "a lot of fans." 🤣
Those fans wish their team could. 😁

beyonce bitch please GIF

Money Shopping GIF by Flo Milli

And the finale:

see ya never basketball wives GIF by VH1

The only negative of this deal is that it appears I will need to subscribe to Paramount+ at some point. Paramount+ is more expensive than most of the others. I pretty much already subscribe to most services so this will mostly likely just be a in season expense.
From what I have read, Peacock is the only place that will have exclusively streamed games, and Paramount+ will be streaming games also shown on other CBS networks (so it won’t be necessary to get it).

From what I have read, Peacock is the only place that will have exclusively streamed games, and Paramount+ will be streaming games also shown on other CBS networks (so it won’t be necessary to get it).
Good. I already have Peacock. Similar to how NBC has been pushing sports to Peacock (ex. golf, skiing, Premier League), I figure CBS will do the same with Paramount at some point.

The SEC has won 3 in a row sure, but in the “College Football Playoff” which is owned and run by ESPN. Just like the BCS was. So it’s more an invitational tournament than anything else, and is always skewed (via the CFP “rankings” by the “committee” each week) to benefit their properties above all else.

Doesn’t this guy realize, if you’re going to do the “thing” it’s Minnesota vs. Rutgers, not Purdon’t.

Also, the guy is like 3ft tall.
He regularly makes fun of the Big and Wisconsin, it’s his shtick.

Who is 3 feet tall?

Doesn’t this personality realize, if you’re going to do the “thing” it’s Minnesota vs. Rutgers, not Purdon’t.

Also, the guy is like 3ft tall.
I like Big Cat but he says stuff like this because Portnoy likes TJ (Rutgers guy) more. TJ goes back at Big Cat more.

Plus he should also say Rutgers wins because of our record against Purdue. Or he’s an idiot for not knowing it.

Last edited:
Sorry, never heard of him or the TJ person.

Looks like the B1G or Wisky version of Mario…

The SEC has won 3 in a row sure, but in the “College Football Playoff” which is owned and run by ESPN. Just like the BCS was. So it’s more an invitational tournament than anything else, and is always skewed (via the CFP “rankings” by the “committee” each week) to benefit their properties above all else.
I would love to see the Big 10 do better, but this is all a bunch of sour grapes. The top SEC team has routinely trashed all comers in the CFP, except for the Clemson in the Trevor Lawrence years.

I still think there's a chance that Amazon or Apple will buy a Friday night package.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT