ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Offense Will be LETHAL

At least it is a fun thread if you eliminate the PSU/POC and our resident doom and gloom and this is how I like life to be crowd.

Grant- I can't see any reason for him not to get a waiver. And if he does and decides not to come back- it would some of the worse advice in history. He should be back.
Watts- yes, he was projected on D but after his mind numbing performances this year, you have to think he gets a real shot as a play maker.
OL- This is a question mark for sure. The good thing is that Seymore, Applefield and Heeman are getting some good burn this year. I do worry about C position. A good running QB can mask some of the errors on OL though.

One thing I think we can be sure of is if there are holes this staff will do everything in their power to plug them. JUCO's, transfers, prep guys. Whatever is out there I have no doubt they are looking into it.

Reactions: RU31trap
It seems that the reports on Seymour have been very positive. Remember he's only been an OL for less than 2 months. Give him an off season and see where he is. He had some issues with speed rushers in his first start. You obviously know enough to realize it's tough to replicate game speed in practice. He'll get better.

I agree C and RG will be tough spots to fill. There will probably be 5 underclassmen looking to fill those spots. Hopefully there will be a couple who prove to be serviceable. Can't expect much more than that at this point.

I do agree somewhat with those who say having more than 1 "dangerous" WR will help open up the offense. I say somewhat because several mentioned have no actual body of work to be certain just yet.

He is the kid on your team I am pulling for most. I'm a big fan of kids who stick to their commitments. I see he has played a bit, how has he done on the eye test?

Don't ask @gef21 . LOL. He is still learning.

Yeah, I ask because reports are always hit and miss. This year we heard Sickels, Castagna, Pancoast, Gesicki. 50/50 hit rate.

I've witnessed first hand how difficult that switch can be regardless of the number of stars someone has.

Yeah, I ask because reports are always hit and miss. This year we heard Sickels, Castagna, Pancoast, Gesicki. 50/50 hit rate.

I've witnessed first hand how difficult that switch can be regardless of the number of stars someone has.
Our OC was extremely positive on Seymour and went out his way to praise his performance against Minnesota in the post-game presser. Did it appear he whiffed a couple of times? Perhaps. Could have been someone else's assignment, or could have been on him. But it is part of the learning process, and overall, the OC was pleased with his performance. Onward and upward.

As long as we get competent replacements for Muller, Nelson and JJ on the OL (which I think we will have) then this offense will be LETHAL next year. QB- Gio, WRs- Ahmir, Janarion, Melton, Harris, Tsims, Watts, Jones, RB- Martin, Hicks, Sneed, TE- Jerome Washington. Athletes and playmakers everywhere. Our O can be scary scary good next year. However our front 7 on D needs some help. If Fogg and Fatukasi can come in and provide some competition at LB and we can land 1 or 2 JUCO interior dlineman or DWP from Pope John we could surprise alot of people next year. Im excited to see dynamic athletes in this offense![/QUote

Last edited:
Your OL already is terrible but you are going to lose three starters and come back lethal next year?

kbtV8zN.gif
SO This is what a NIT whiteout really looks like up close.(click to see)

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I have only what I consider to be a casual knowledge of football. But I'm surprised to hear a football coach say that. I always thought football coaches tend to say that it's all about the O and D lines.

Although, to compete with the Big Ten elite, I would guess it's all about being having quality three deep at every position on the field (except maybe kicker and punter).
Just look at the difference with Gio over lav.

For weeks I was hearing the OL can't block, and the WR's can't get seperation. Insert Gio and all of a sudden the QB has time(even if he is finding it himself with his feet) and the WR's are open.

Sure the lines are important, so are LB's, DB's, skill's on offense, but QB is the most important position on the football field. I think that is common knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Yeah it gets reduculous in this board sometimes because there are people that really don't understand college football let alone RU football and the challenges. It's gonna be step by step over time. No shortcuts. But ash will get it done. Enjoy the improvement over the next couple of years. We are the butt of jokes right now around the country . You dont change that Over night
I think it get's ridiculous how often some posters on this board want to say that others don't understand football.

The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be....... lol
Actually not a bad metaphor.

Our glass is half filled. But it's a B1G azz glass. So we still need a whole lot of water to get this thing up to the top.

Laviono was horrendous. However, besides Browning and Barrett, Gio looked just as good if not better than every quarterback we faced this year.

Laviono was horrendous. However, besides Browning and Barrett, Gio looked just as good if not better than every quarterback we faced this year.
On the surface that sounds crazy, but when you really look at the individual games, it's accurate.

Granted we have not seen many good qb's, AND Gio is still in small sample mode, AND he needs to stay healthy, but he has looked good.

Disagree. I think Applefield can be as good if not better than Muller, RT has been a swinging door and literally can only get better, and Center is the only concern I have. Hoping Vamesky/Jackson can step up

"can be"...."swinging door"...."only concern"....your do realize that it takes a while for OL's to "gel," right? To become cohesive as a unit, right? To make comments like this, after your opening statement, makes no sense. This isn't going to happen overnight. Can the O be better, and likely get better as the season moves along, absolutely, but saying it's going to be "lethal" - when you yourself know there are OL issues - is just a tad, lol, over-the-top, don't you think?

"can be"...."swinging door"...."only concern"....your do realize that it takes a while for OL's to "gel," right? To become cohesive as a unit, right? To make comments like this, after your opening statement, makes no sense. This isn't going to happen overnight. Can the O be better, and likely get better as the season moves along, absolutely, but saying it's going to be "lethal" - when you yourself know there are OL issues - is just a tad, lol, over-the-top, don't you think?
I think we all know this is what he meant. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As long as we get competent replacements for Muller, Nelson and JJ on the OL (which I think we will have) then this offense will be LETHAL next year. QB- Gio, WRs- Ahmir, Janarion, Melton, Harris, Tsims, Watts, Jones, RB- Martin, Hicks, Sneed, TE- Jerome Washington. Athletes and playmakers everywhere. Our O can be scary scary good next year. However our front 7 on D needs some help. If Fogg and Fatukasi can come in and provide some competition at LB and we can land 1 or 2 JUCO interior dlineman or DWP from Pope John we could surprise alot of people next year. Im excited to see dynamic athletes in this offense!
Lethal with true freshman on the OL? I thought it takes years to
develop the talent, the line is the toughest position to learn.
And on top of that they have to learn while playing the Big Ten.

Agree there are only so many Anthony Davis's out there every year. As I said earlier '17 will have 1 proven LG in Miller, one with a year as a starter in LT Cole, and appears Seymour has taken RT as his own. It's a start but you still need to find a C and RG from the 4-5 names we all know. You also need to develop backups. Impossible? No. Very difficult? Probably.

I dunno if Clark is a lock to start. Seymour, Cole, Miller and Applefield look to be good bets. Heeman in the mix somewhere.

Agree there are only so many Anthony Davis's out there every year. As I said earlier '17 will have 1 proven LG in Miller, one with a year as a starter in LT Cole, and appears Seymour has taken RT as his own. It's a start but you still need to find a C and RG from the 4-5 names we all know. You also need to develop backups. Impossible? No. Very difficult? Probably.

When did college football change so other teams don't have players graduating? This explains every team in D1 to varying extent.

When did college football change so other teams don't have players graduating? This explains every team in D1 to varying extent.

Of course but so many say RU is screwed as if it's unique or unusual. The only question to me is if there are players waiting to step up. We'll find out.

SIAP, but whatever happened to Mo Jabbie? Thought he would be a playmaker coming out of HS. Haven't heard anything all year. Just needs more in time in weight room, or something else ?

We have Nakia Griffin-Stewart at TE as well. Looks like he could be a stud. Held off Louisville to land him.

Little wary of the Griffin where abouts, 2nd year with the program, given the lack of play makers, especially at TE, and he was supposed to be more playmaker then blocker, wonder if he is becoming more of an if player then a when player.

SIAP, but whatever happened to Mo Jabbie? Thought he would be a playmaker coming out of HS. Haven't heard anything all year. Just needs more in time in weight room, or something else ?

First year with program, not a huge prospect to begin with. Yeah same goes as above in terms of lack of playmakers leaving positions open, but Im never too worried about a true frosh not getting pt.

The good teams are able to reload because they develop talent. Building an elite program is about more than just recruiting 5 star players. It's about turning potential into production. That takes coaching and a player development culture.

I agree. No way you are going to replace those OL and be lethal.
just because they were big recruits doesn't really mean anything. denman has stone feet and im hoping he is replaced by Seymour for the rest fo the year. and muller has a holding penalty (often more than one) every game. Nelson is the only one that matters who is leaving and his snaps haven't exactly been good recently.

Little wary of the Griffin where abouts, 2nd year with the program, given the lack of play makers, especially at TE, and he was supposed to be more playmaker then blocker, wonder if he is becoming more of an if player then a when player.

I wouldn't be too worried. They're going with two experienced guys right now. He's only a redshirt freshman and this offense only uses 1 or 0 TE formations. Flanagan will be back next year but after that, I expect Nakia to split time with Washington. We also have Behr as well but I expect him to be more of a blocker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT