ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

Not being a jerk or anything, but why are they even related?

A high end guy decommited. That’s the only relation. When I read Winston decommitted, o was just asking how we felt about our guy.

I see how this could be taken as me trying to stir shit up, but really it was a how solid are these commits in general and ours in particular.

I’m referring to Devin Winston who just decommitted from UNC?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
A high end guy decommited. That’s the only relation. When I read Winston decommitted, o was just asking how we felt about our guy.

I see how this could be taken as me trying to stir shit up, but really it was a how solid are these commits in general and ours in particular.

I’m referring to Devin Winston who just decommitted from UNC?
Yes Devin Winston is the guy that decommited.. he won at Flo's WNO and ascended to the top guy in the nation at his weight... his stock has gone up and probably has all the top programs after him now hence the decommitment right after... reminds me of Dziewa smh...

Friday Nov. 9 - 'Frenzy at the Field House on Flowrestling, duals with Iowa, Wisconsin, Cal St Bakersfield and Host Kent St.

Unfortunately , Iowa not wrestling Wisconsin in a dual here. That would have been the best matchup.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6254179-2018-frenzy-at-the-field-house

3 PM CT

Kent State vs. CSU Bakersfield

4:30 PM CT

Kent State vs. Wisconsin

Iowa vs. CSU Bakersfield

6 PM CT

Kent State vs. Iowa

Wisconsin vs. CSU Bakersfield

Last edited:
Today (Thursday) - 'Frenzy at the Field House on Flowrestling, duals with Iowa, Wisconsin, Cal St Bakersfield and Host Kent St.

Unfortunately , Iowa not wrestling Wisconsin in a dual here. That would have been the best matchup.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6254179-2018-frenzy-at-the-field-house

3 PM CT

Kent State vs. CSU Bakersfield

4:30 PM CT

Kent State vs. Wisconsin

Iowa vs. CSU Bakersfield

6 PM CT

Kent State vs. Iowa

Wisconsin vs. CSU Bakersfield

Jumping the gun by a day.......Frenzy is 11/9.......Iowa and Wisc wrestle later in the year

Reactions: Abro1975
Lets get a little positive here.

JoJo Aragona went to a college open today and placed 3rd. He went 4-1 on the day with his one loss to 2x NCAA qualifier Nic Gil from Navy. Signing day can't get here soon enough.

edited to add:

He wrestled 141 at the Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open (Binghamton)

We had a few guys also wrestling today at the Journeyman MyHouse Collegiate Classic. This is a round robin style tournament held the day after the duals. Here is a list of the RU guys that wrestled and the results. Full results can be found on FloArena.

Anthony Olivieri 1-2
Nic Aguilar 0-3
Malcolm Robinson 2-1
Billy Janzer 3-0

On Saturday we had two guys wrestle at the East Stroudsburg University Open. Full results can be found on FloArena.

174 - John Ciaramella 1-2
285 - Kyle Lightner 2-2

Reactions: Abro1975
Lets get a little positive here.

JoJo Aragona went to a college open today and placed 3rd. He went 4-1 on the day with his one loss to 2x NCAA qualifier Nic Gil from Navy. Signing day can't get here soon enough.

edited to add:

He wrestled 141 at the Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open (Binghamton)
Really hoping when JoJo gets in the lineup he can contend for AA status right away... like VT's Dave McFadden

We had a few guys also wrestling today at the Journeyman MyHouse Collegiate Classic. This is a round robin style tournament held the day after the duals. Here is a list of the RU guys that wrestled and the results. Full results can be found on FloArena.

Anthony Olivieri 1-2
Nic Aguilar 0-3
Malcolm Robinson 2-1
Billy Janzer 3-0
Dang didn't expect 0-3 from Aguilar..

On Saturday we had two guys wrestle at the East Stroudsburg University Open. Full results can be found on FloArena.

174 - John Ciaramella 1-2
285 - Kyle Lightner 2-2

Nice to see Lightner wrestling. Haven’t heard too much about him lately.

And Malcolm Robinson is so damn frustrating to watch. He’s an incredible talent but seems to never pull out the close ones. Seems to have an issue with his motor in the 3rd period and that’s been since HS. But you watch him In Period 1 and he can dominate. Need to get him to wrestle and be conditioned for 7 minutes.

Aguilar faced some tough guys today. He wrestled well but is just undersized. The redshirt year will help him tremendously. I watched Malcolm Robinson’s matches and he looked really good. He beat the 133 starter for UVU easily. He needs to develop physically but the talent is there. I haven’t watched Janzer’s matches but he went undefeated. Former RU wrestler Brandon Paetzell took out #6 Montorie Bridges as well. Good for him. Seemed like a good kid.

Really hoping when JoJo gets in the lineup he can contend for AA status right away... like VT's Dave McFadden

It is good to see JoJo tsting himself at college opens.That's the new norm with high schoolers wrestling up in competition.It gets him ready but I will not go as far as AA yet right away.

It is good to see JoJo tsting himself at college opens.That's the new norm with high schoolers wrestling up in competition.It gets him ready but I will not go as far as AA yet right away.
Goodale was right... wrestlers can’t wait around to get good.. they need to be right away.. we need to recruit the next Ash; Suriano; McFadden etc etc.. basically guys that can contend for AA right off the bat for 4 years.. JoJo got this potential..
HS wrestlers advanced so much with all the training/clubs to even 10 years ago that if you are an elite p4p Hs wrestler now... chances are very high you will be competing at a high lvl in college unless u get an injury or something.

Goodale was right... wrestlers can’t wait around to get good.. they need to be right away.. we need to recruit the next Ash; Suriano; McFadden etc etc.. basically guys that can contend for AA right off the bat for 4 years.. JoJo got this potential..
HS wrestlers advanced so much with all the training/clubs to even 10 years ago that if you are an elite p4p Hs wrestler now... chances are very high you will be competing at a high lvl in college unless u get an injury or something.
Honestly if we don’t pick up our recruiting we will drop out of the top 20 next year. That doesn’t mean Goodale is doing a bad job. It is what it is.

Reactions: Leonard23
Honestly if we don’t pick up our recruiting we will drop out of the top 20 next year. That doesn’t mean Goodale is doing a bad job. It is what it is.

Well, as much as most of us like Goodale, recruiting falls squarely on him. We need a lot more Jo Jo Aragona's to get where we all want to be. Simple as that.

Reactions: RickB113
IMO recruiting has been getting better slowly.
It is a lot harder to go from a Very good Wrestling team to an elite team.
We have had 2 AA's in 3 straight years....before that we were lucky to get 1 a year.
Hopefully, JoJo trains with Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashnault and gives us another potential title contender. .

Kanniard is another very solid recruit with AA Potential.
If you add in Jackson Turley (verbal commit) you have an awesome class..

If Nick or Anthony breaks through this year for a title, i would expect recruiting to pick up a tad.

Go RU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT