ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think, barring injury, that Turley has got the biggest upside out of every one. The kid is super Electric, takes huge chances, has a great motor and is very physical. JoJo is a great wrestler but I think he needs to take that Redshirt year.. Also remember we have Janzer too. In a perfect world I'd like to see grello janzer, Turley and another big-time heavyweight as a top finishing punch. I still do not know why we cannot develop a top flight heavyweight and 197lb'r. I'm not giving up on Correnti or Colucci though.Correnti has got to slow it up and stop being so sloppy.Colucci really impressed me in the later half of the season.He has go to hit the weight room. That was his biggest downfall this year. He got totally outmuscled

Last edited:
When I saw Aragona's P4P Flo Big Board ranking (#6) I looked at the P4P rankings the past 2 years to get an indication as to how accurate they are as a predictor for college success. Of course, there are exceptions and wrestlers exceed or do not live up to expectations. That being said, the results for those wrestlers ranked that high are very impressive.

For 2018, a lot of guys were on red-shirt this past season. Gable Steveson was #1 and you have wrestlers like Parris(#3), RBY(#12), Glory (#17), Griffith (#19) who are poised for AA runs next season.

For 2017, it is scary how many wrestlers listed in the Top 20 were either an AA or National Champ this season (their sophomore or red-shirt freshman year):

1 Daton Fix
2 Spencer Lee
3 Yianni Diakomihalis
4 Vitali Arujau
5 Mikey Labriola
6 Brady Berge
7 Jacob Warner
8 Louie Deprez
9 Nick Lee
10 Chase Singletary
11 Austin Gomez
12 Austin O’Connor
13 Cameron Coy
14 Quentin Hovis
15 Kaden Gfeller
16 Kaleb Romero
17 Austin Desanto
18 Jake Woodley
19 Mekhi Lewis
20 Jarod Verkleeren

I know this is not a guarantee that JoJo Aragona will be a multiple-time AA or national title contender, but it does show how these high ranked guys make up many of the AA slots at the tourney.

Last edited:
I actually think, barring injury, that Turley has got the biggest upside out of every one. The kid is super Electric, takes huge chances, has a great motor and is very physical. JoJo is a great wrestler but I think he needs to take that Redshirt year.. Also remember we have Janzer too. In a perfect world I'd like to see grello janzer, Turley and another big-time heavyweight as a top finishing punch. I still do not know why we cannot develop a top flight heavyweight and 197lb'r. I'm not giving up on Correnti or Colucci though.Correnti has got to slow it up and stop being so sloppy.Colucci really impressed me in the later half of the season.He has go to hit the weight room. That was his biggest downfall this year. He got totally outmuscled
I have seen Turley multiple times as St. Chris' is an annual competitor in our tourney and I will second your thoughts on Turley.

Before this season, I was not as high on him, but he has taken a big jump in the last year and a half. A lot of fun to watch, great attitude, physical - a lot to look forward to for RU if he keeps on this trajectory.

I also like Britton in the incoming class as a sleeper, very hard-nosed kid, grinder. But to me durability is a very underrated characteristic by fans in recruits - if you have a hard time staying on the mat in HS, it is extremely unlikely that this is not going to be a big problem if you go D1. I think he has missed parts of a couple of HS seasons, so that is something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
I noticed Nick Raimo registered too, only see 1 or 2 BC kids , but lots of Blair wrestlers (none named Ferrari)

I really, really hope we can land Cassar as a SKWC resident trainee over the summer. I think getting an ace heavyweight especially a NC winner with NJ ties will really have RU cooking with gas with the upperweights.

I really, really hope we can land Cassar as a SKWC resident trainee over the summer. I think getting an ace heavyweight especially a NC winner with NJ ties will really have RU cooking with gas with the upperweights.

I just dont see that happening Bigmatt....first it looks like Cassar will get another year to wrestle at PSU and if he does not or decides to concentrate on Freestyle-the NLWC has unlimited funds that we cannot compete with.

I doubt he is bumping up, more like he is a 170lber right now. Plenty of kids at this tournament are wrestling a weight class higher than they did during the season.

You're right. Bumping up was a poor choice of words, but I wonder what weight he feels most comfortable/competitive at and where we ultimately ends up at RU.

From the Scarlet Spotlight podcast, Ashnault will not be a coach but will be a resident athlete at the SKWC and RTC working with Rutgers and Princeton wrestlers while training himself.
I would assume this is just prepping him for a coaching position at Rutgers or a career in coaching. I know he's spoken many times about training for the 2020 Olympics. This might make a lot of sense in that he will have two years to train, and at the same time transition into coaching.

Looks like Turley went 2-0, Harrison 1-0 plus a bye, O'Neil went 1-2 (Lost 2 high scoring bouts)...I was looking at Tournaflex for the brackets...Oneil gets one more bout...not sure if he will have more.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Not sure what to make of O'Neill going 2-3. I'm too lazy to look, how are those kids he lost to?

Dominic Solis W TF1:22
Carson Licastri W TF2:28
Benjamin Greil W F1:18
Craft Peyton W TF1:06

Solis and Licastri are state champs, so those are nice wins for Turley. Harrison had a nice win over Prep National Champ, Connor Kievman.

Reactions: MS-RU
Not sure what to make of O'Neill going 2-3. I'm too lazy to look, how are those kids he lost to?

I saw his match with Morton that he lost 14-13, not sure what to make of it. To me it looked like he was out of shape(sick) O'Neill was losing 5-4 after the first period, then he took Morton down about 4 times in a row, and they were easy takedowns. Then Morton got a takedown off a shot by O'Neill and gut wrenched him three or 4 times in a row. He looked like he was so tired he could not defend the gut at all. I like O'Neill potential so I am throwing today out.....Lol See how he does in Fargo and with team NJ.

These tournaments are odd sometimes...Kyle Mosher, who is ranked #7 at 160 and beat Kanniard pretty good this spring at a charity tournament took 5th.

Point being, I wouldn't read into them too much.

Just happy O Neil is wrestling. This is his first time up at 170 (I think).
Plus, freestyle is different than folk style.
He proved this year how good he is and look forward to him improving the next season.

With Turley's pace, Freestyle seems like a good fit for him

Reactions: MS-RU
Just happy O Neil is wrestling. This is his first time up at 170 (I think).
Plus, freestyle is different than folk style.
He proved this year how good he is and look forward to him improving the next season.

With Turley's pace, Freestyle seems like a good fit for him

I believe O’Neil is supposed to be an excellent Freestyle Wrestler more so than folk style.

Reactions: R U Crazy
Did Foca wrestle? On another subject, I saw a friend of mine today at an athletic event, who's from Hanover Park. He said there is no way that Raimo is going to decommit from Arizona State. I know it's not a pertinent subject, but I thought I'd just throw that out there considering we were just shooting the shitt today and Raimo got brought up.

I can't find results anywhere. I've been so busy watching The Masters Golf , and going to the RU Spring football game, I kind of lost track of the Journeyman Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT