ADVERTISEMENT

2021 - 2022 HS Season Thread

Joe Fongaro is in the finals of the Morris County championship and will face Cross Wasilewski (Delbarton - UPenn commit & ranked #22 in country at 144 as per Willie) this afternoon. Will be a good test for him and hopefully he has a great showing and can pull out a victory.

It's that time of year where the road to the individual state championships kicks off.

• NJ districts are tomorrow (2/19), regions are 2/25 & 2/26, and then the state championships in AC start on 3/3
  • PA districts/sectionals are the next two weekends (2/19 & 2/20) and (2/25 & 2/26), regions are 3/4 & 3/5, and then the state championships start on 3/10
  • CA sectionals were last weekend, regional/masters start today (2/18), and the state tournament starts on 2/24

NJ commits:
  • Brian Soldano (190): District 1/Region 1
  • PJ Casale (215): District 6/Region 2
  • Joe Fongaro (144): District 7/Region 2
PA commits:
  • Brandan Chletsos (132): District 11/SE-AA Region
CA commits:
  • Luke Gayer (160): Southern Section – Eastern/Southern Section MASTERS

Last edited:
I think Soldano has a senior Poz run this postseason. Don’t think there is a 190 pounder even closer to being in the same realm as him.

Casale is the best in his weight class but Cosgrove is good. Curious to see if being in a lesser room this year will hurt him during states.

Is Fongaro going 138 or 144?

We need to be all over Portella and Mullen. Also need to try and get into Santaniello’s head about reopening his recruitment. Not sure if staff is allowed to contact Knox yet but he’s the next name they should be after.

Reactions: MS-RU
I think Soldano has a senior Poz run this postseason. Don’t think there is a 190 pounder even closer to being in the same realm as him.

Casale is the best in his weight class but Cosgrove is good. Curious to see if being in a lesser room this year will hurt him during states.

Is Fongaro going 138 or 144?

We need to be all over Portella and Mullen. Also need to try and get into Santaniello’s head about reopening his recruitment. Not sure if staff is allowed to contact Knox yet but he’s the next name they should be after.

100% right on Soldano - There is no one really close to his level in state and should have another dominating performance this post season. The only names to keep an eye on would be Remy Brancato (BC) and freshmen Vincenzo Lavalle (Hanover Park), who took 5th at Beast this year. Lavalle is definitely someone to know since he will be a potential recruit especially given our success at Hanover Park.

Casale and Cosgrove should be an awesome showdown between two top nationally ranked guys. Cosgrove hasn't wrestled a ton over the last year due to his injury but Casale has had an odd course over the last year as well so it will certainly be interesting to see since neither of them have even been remotely tested this year in folkstyle at least... I think Casale is the slightly better wrestler with higher upside, but anything can happen at that level.

Fongaro is the #1 seed at 144 in his district and has only wrestled at 144/150 this season.

100% right on Soldano - There is no one really close to his level in state and should have another dominating performance this post season. The only names to keep an eye on would be Remy Brancato (BC) and freshmen Vincenzo Lavalle (Hanover Park), who took 5th at Beast this year. Lavalle is definitely someone to know since he will be a potential recruit especially given our success at Hanover Park.

Casale and Cosgrove should be an awesome showdown between two top nationally ranked guys. Cosgrove hasn't wrestled a ton over the last year due to his injury but Casale has had an odd course over the last year as well so it will certainly be interesting to see since neither of them have even been remotely tested this year in folkstyle at least... I think Casale is the slightly better wrestler with higher upside, but anything can happen at that level.

Fongaro is the #1 seed at 144 in his district and has only wrestled at 144/150 this season.
Soldano beat Lavalle like 7-0 at the RU match in Pru Center

Gayer won his first two matches today by fall and MD.

The hard part for him is that the #2 ranked guy in the country at 160 (Manny Gaitan) is in his section and region so he will more than likely face off with him again tomorrow in the finals.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Gayer won his first two matches today by fall and MD.

The hard part for him is that the #2 ranked guy in the country at 160 (Manny Gaitan) is in his section and region so he will more than likely face off with him again tomorrow in the finals.
That could be a good thing long term

I was looking at the size of these district tournaments. They're like reminiscent of high school Christmas tournaments. They're not like when I wrestled. Our districts had a minimum of 12 to 15 teams. It looks like only 6 or 7 people in each bracket.

I was looking at the size of these district tournaments. They're like reminiscent of high school Christmas tournaments. They're not like when I wrestled. Our districts had a minimum of 12 to 15 teams. It looks like only 6 or 7 people in each bracket
Yeah most districts have 9 teams but rarely can a team Put out an entire roster unless it’s one of the powerhouses

I was looking at the size of these district tournaments. They're like reminiscent of high school Christmas tournaments. They're not like when I wrestled. Our districts had a minimum of 12 to 15 teams. It looks like only 6 or 7 people in each bracket.
The state has done a really good job of balancing the districts for the most part. Years ago, I forget which district and region it was, but you had state placer caliber wrestlers not even qualifying because of loaded brackets. Unfortunately in order to do this, the overall quality of each district lessens. CBA for example sent something like 12 of their 13 starters into the district finals and all 13 advanced to regions.

Ultimately I think this works out as you get the 32 most deserving kids in each weight class to AC for the most part.

NJ Region Seeds:

Soldano: #1 at 190 (Region 1)
Casale: #1 at 215 (Region 2) - Only interesting name in the bracket is AJ Fricchione (BC)
Fongaro: #2 at 144 (Region 2) - Christopher Bacchioni (BC) is the #1 seed but has multiple losses this season as compared to Fangaro's 1 but it really doesn't matter here.

Chletsos #1 seed at 132 in district 11

Gayer moved up to #10 (from #21) at 160 in Willie's rankings after beating MJ Gaitan in the regional tournament.

Last edited:
California state tournament kicks off today. Can find the brackets and watch on Flo:

Question for the guys who follow this closer than I do. My alma mater Mt. Olive won their first ever state title this year. I'm curious if there are any D1 prospects on that team.

Gayer wins his quarterfinals matchup 7-0 and moves into the semis tomorrow which will start around 2pm est.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT