ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Let's kick this off. Season ticket emails went out today.

What's our lineup? When are wrestle-offs?

Best guesses:

Starter: Shawver
- Peterson to RS?

Starter: Alvarez
- Will he make weight? Will we have him only wrestle 1 dual each weekend, so he doesn't have to make weight Fri and Sun?

Starter: SeaBass
- is he going to U23s?

Starter: MVB
- Can JoJo knock off MVB?

Starter: Kanniard

Starter: Andrew Clark?

Starter: Turley
- any truth to speculation of an injury?

Starter: Poz
- Janzer primary backup

Starter: Bulsak

HWT
Starter: McDermott?
- what's the speculation of Esposito possibly starting?

Thanks for starting the thread and great first post. I got nothing really to add as you covered my questions. But I’ll be checking to see what others post in it!
Per other thread SeaBass is going to U23 (which I assume you know). I’m interested to see from the beginning of season if he looks improved this year. By that I mean more dominant than last year. Amazing wrestler, obviously. Last year he wasn’t quite elite at 141. Just a notch below elite and that really was throughout the year in my opinion.

Thanks for starting the thread and great first post. I got nothing really to add as you covered my questions. But I’ll be checking to see what others post in it!
Per other thread SeaBass is going to U23 (which I assume you know). I’m interested to see from the beginning of season if he looks improved this year. By that I mean more dominant than last year. Amazing wrestler, obviously. Last year he wasn’t quite elite at 141. Just a notch below elite and that really was throughout the year in my opinion.
I do consider Seabass elite, just not number one. He made it to the semis of NCAA, that's pretty elite to me. This year will be tougher and hopefully, so will he.

Now that we're more than halfway through October, what has been learned about the kids in the room? There are some new arrivals - are they redshirting or are any showing potential for winning a spot?

I presume Raimo is still not a consideration, unfortunately. Any other injuries? Anyone not making weight targets?

How is Aragona looking? Angelo has moved up to 149; is he a strong contender? MVB does well against familiar competition in the room but one never knows in real competition. I'd like to see Jo Jo starting if he has improved but if he hasn't, ut oh. If Sammy can't make weight or make it consistently, who steps in? Will it be Britton or is Campbell stronger?

Is McDermott in shape this year or sucking wind?

SeaBass is an extremely hard worker and his technique and scrambling are top notch, but I don't expect him to dominate up at 141. He's top 4 and hopefully can pull it out to win it all. Down at 133, he dominated because he was stronger and faster.

Last edited:

Best guesses:

- Peterson to RS? Yes

- Will he make weight? Yes
Will we have him only wrestle 1 dual each weekend, so he doesn't have to make weight Fri and Sun? Needs to make weight every match

- is he going to U23s? Yes

- Can JoJo knock off MVB? Weight class is very deep

Starter: Andrew Clark? Wait n See

- any truth to speculation of an injury? He's Fine

- Janzer primary backup. I think both guys will see action. Midlands will tell us more

HWT
- what's the speculation of Esposito possibly starting? Better

I do consider Seabass elite, just not number one. He made it to the semis of NCAA, that's pretty elite to me. This year will be tougher and hopefully, so will he.
Point well taken. He’s definitely elite. I really meant dominant against anybody not in the top say 8. Hard to be the top dog but is it too much to ask for our elite guy to dominate nearly everybody else that isn’t top 8?

Best guesses:

- Peterson to RS?

- Will he make weight? Will we have him only wrestle 1 dual each weekend, so he doesn't have to make weight Fri and Sun?

- is he going to U23s?

- Can JoJo knock off MVB?

Starter: Andrew Clark?

- any truth to speculation of an injury?

- Janzer primary backup

HWT
- what's the speculation of Esposito possibly starting?
Here are your weight certifications on Track...

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
That's what they certified at, not what they will wrestle at. Certification means that they weighed at least 0.1 pounds over the weight below what you see in the list.
So they can all wrestle 1 or 2 weight classes below what's listed there?

Link no longer works but here:

Rutgers Roster
Pages

NameEligibleWt. Class
Michael Cetta149
David Campbell141
Dean Peterson133
Dylan Weaver165
John ODonnell285
Anthony White165
Joe Olivieri149
Sammy Alvarez149
Gerard Angelo165
Joe Aragona165
Jake Benner174
Devon Britton141
Greg Bulsak285
Andrew Clark184
niccolo Colucci285
Alfred DeSantis165
Kyle Epperly285
Alex Esposito285
Marcus Estevez285
Andrew Gapas157
Billy Janzer197
Robert Kanniard165
Boone McDermott285
Nico Messina141
Connor ONeill184
John Poznanski285
Malcolm Robinson141
Dylan Shawver133
Jackson Turley197
Nicholas RaimoX
Mike VanschenkbrillX
Sebastian RiveraX

The on the banks podcast with Anthony Ashnault was great. Touches on lots of things about the lineup. Sammy, Sebastian, MVB/Angelo (alluded to someone else at that weight but interestingly didn’t mention Jojo 😔). Kanniard…. Turley Poz. Interesting mention on each of these guys. Plus talking about Anthony’s future wrestling plans and his transition to coaching. Good listen!
https://www.onthebanks.com/2021/10/...gers-wrestling-big-ten-ncaa-champion-team-usa

The on the banks podcast with Anthony Ashnault was great. Touches on lots of things about the lineup. Sammy, Sebastian, MVB/Angelo (alluded to someone else at that weight but interestingly didn’t mention Jojo 😔). Kanniard…. Turley Poz. Interesting mention on each of these guys. Plus talking about Anthony’s future wrestling plans and his transition to coaching. Good listen!
https://www.onthebanks.com/2021/10/...gers-wrestling-big-ten-ncaa-champion-team-usa
It's now or never with Jojo. If he doesn't crack the lineup over a Jeckyll and Hyde MVB or a solid but not spectacular Angelo, then he's about to be processed out and end up at Rider for his last few years.

It's now or never with Jojo. If he doesn't crack the lineup over a Jeckyll and Hyde MVB or a solid but not spectacular Angelo, then he's about to be processed out and end up at Rider for his last few years.

I don't believe that at all. MVB is a 6th year senior, who when he is on can hang with almost anyone. He proved that at the B1Gs last year but we also saw what can happen when hes not (NCAAs). You'll live with those highs and lows especially with someone during their last year. We've seen good things from people in these situations in past, so hopefully he can come out laser focused and be more consistent. Ashnault talked specifically about MVB and his situation (dropping distractions, side hustles, etc.) on the podcast referenced above.

JoJo is still only a true sophomore and has a red-shirt available. During his true freshman year it was clear that needed development, especially physically for his game to translate to the college level. He lost too many matches due to the fact he couldn't get out from bottom and had problems finishing attacks even when he was in great position. Last year probably impacted him the hardest since he would have benefited the most from hitting open tournaments, having consistent training in the room against other high level guys, etc. He obviously lost that experience. I know Goody and the coaches are still expecting a ton from him and it might make the most sense for his continued development and for the good of the program to redshirt this year.

I would say next year is the year for JoJo to make his splash and live up to his billing as a top recruit.

I don't believe that at all. MVB is a 6th year senior, who when he is on can hang with almost anyone. He proved that at the B1Gs last year but we also saw what can happen when hes not (NCAAs). You'll live with those highs and lows especially with someone during their last year. We've seen good things from people in these situations in past, so hopefully he can come out laser focused and be more consistent. Ashnault talked specifically about MVB and his situation (dropping distractions, side hustles, etc.) on the podcast referenced above.

JoJo is still only a true sophomore and has a red-shirt available. During his true freshman year it was clear that needed development, especially physically for his game to translate to the college level. He lost too many matches due to the fact he couldn't get out from bottom and had problems finishing attacks even when he was in great position. Last year probably impacted him the hardest since he would have benefited the most from hitting open tournaments, having consistent training in the room against other high level guys, etc. He obviously lost that experience. I know Goody and the coaches are still expecting a ton from him and it might make the most sense for his continued development and for the good of the program to redshirt this year.

I would say next year is the year for JoJo to make his splash and live up to his billing as a top recruit.

Well said 👏🏼

Reactions: rubigtimenow

While I mostly agree and hope he turns it around, if JoJo shows no progress this year or regresses, why wouldn't he be processed out after 3 yrs in the program, as that money could be used elsewhere?

Reactions: KidDagger
While I mostly agree and hope he turns it around, if JoJo shows no progress this year or regresses, why wouldn't he be processed out after 3 yrs in the program, as that money could be used elsewhere?

Geez give him a chance. MVB isn’t a slouch. If jojo doesn’t beat him this year it’s not the end of the world. He could still have a successful last couple years here.

Stupid post. I hope you don't have season tickets. Maybe you should get Rider season tickets

Reactions: njsportsphan

While I am all for hopeful thinking.. how a recruit does his first year or two is usually how he does for his career… think a wrestler that contends for AA early prolly ends up competing for a podium spot all 4 years… it’s usually rare for a wrestler to be mediocre and then just pull it all together for his final years… although, it has happen before kind of rare… can you guys think of many wrestlers that just turned into a contender his final years out of the blue?? I’m in the camp that if jojo doesn’t show significant improvement this year then why should we have expectations still that he can randomly turn it on for his final years?? Ofc I hope Jojo can wrestle his best and that’s all we can ask for.

While I am all for hopeful thinking.. how a recruit does his first year or two is usually how he does for his career… think a wrestler that contends for AA early prolly ends up competing for a podium spot all 4 years… it’s usually rare for a wrestler to be mediocre and then just pull it all together for his final years… although, it has happen before kind of rare… can you guys think of many wrestlers that just turned into a contender his final years out of the blue?? I’m in the camp that if jojo doesn’t show significant improvement this year then why should we have expectations still that he can randomly turn it on for his final years?? Ofc I hope Jojo can wrestle his best and that’s all we can ask for.
Tom Tanis(that was a real shocker), Perrotti, Delvechio, Theobald. All decent around .500 wrestlers but nothing special early in their careers then became AA's later on. We just started getting the ready made AA's like psu gets 2 or 3 a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: njsportsphan
Perrotti was one of my all time favorite wrestlers...
I just started following RU when Scott Goodale became coach.

Didn't Perroti beat a south bound brook wrestler in the blood round?
I remember driving on rt 28 and seeing the signs on SBB HS congratulating the wrestler on his season.

Tom Tanis(that was a real shocker), Perrotti, Delvechio, Theobald. All decent wrestlers but nothing special early in their careers then became AA's later on.

On point - our coaches have proven the ability to develop guys into AAs. We have a very small sample size at this point (w/ regard to Aragona). Plenty of time in front of him either way.

Interestingly, Ashnault referenced Angelo as the (potential) main threat to MVB during the OTB podcast. MVB does a great job of mixing baseline defense with funk (he's got a sprawl from hell - stuffs the head & arches nicely). It'll be interesting to see who prevails.

Tanis' run on the backside was brilliant.

Tanis over Hahn, 2002 NCAA Tourney:

& yes, Perrotti majored Nestor Taffur of BB in the blood round (157).

Reactions: Bobbynieds
I don't think he was mediocre in 2019-2020. Sure he wasn't what everyone was expecting him to be given his recruiting ranking, but he faced a ton of tough opponents as an undersized/undermanned true freshman in the toughest conference and it made his record look worse than it really was. Plus he got banged up as the year went on as well, so that didn't help either. The majority of top guys red-shirt, guys like Ashnault needed that time to develop. Hell a good amount of the of ultra elite PSU guys (Nolf, Nickal, Starocci, Brooks, Kerkvliet, etc.) take red-shirts, gap years, or train at the OTC for a year before officially competing.

There is no debating that he should have red-shirted, but he wanted to compete and that's in the past now. When he was fresh and healthy early in the season, he was very stingy defensively for the most part but like we all saw he got stuck underneath and was overpowered when he tried to attack. High level weight training, weight management, and on the mat experience can remedy that... most people need that extra time to get it all down. It's not easy.

Here were his losses, which includes a ton of guys who placed very highly in their careers
  1. Chad Red (4-1 Dec) - Finishes of 6th, 7th, and 8th thus far
  2. Durbin Lloren (4-2 Dec) - 2x NQ
  3. Kyle Shoop (6-5 Dec) - 4x NQ and finished 7th
  4. Luke Pletcher (12-4 MD) - 4x NQ, R16 + 2x 4th place finisher
  5. Noah Baughman (6-4 Dec) - NQ
  6. Nick Lee (19-4 TF) - 5th, 5th, and 1st
  7. Parker Filius (4-2 SV1) - R16
  8. Dylan Duncan (8-0 MD) - 5th
  9. Mitch McKee (4-0 Dec) - R12, R12, 6th
  10. Tristan Moran (10-0 MD) - 2x NQ & R12
  11. Alec McKenna (2-0 Dec & 5-3 Dec) - his only loses to a non-NQ or high placer

Here were his losses, which includes a ton of guys who placed very highly in their careers
  1. Chad Red (4-1 Dec) - Finishes of 6th, 7th, and 8th thus far
  2. Durbin Lloren (4-2 Dec) - 2x NQ
  3. Kyle Shoop (6-5 Dec) - 4x NQ and finished 7th
  4. Luke Pletcher (12-4 MD) - 4x NQ, R16 + 2x 4th place finisher
  5. Noah Baughman (6-4 Dec) - NQ
  6. Nick Lee (19-4 TF) - 5th, 5th, and 1st
  7. Parker Filius (4-2 SV1) - R16
  8. Dylan Duncan (8-0 MD) - 5th
  9. Mitch McKee (4-0 Dec) - R12, R12, 6th
  10. Tristan Moran (10-0 MD) - 2x NQ & R12
  11. Alec McKenna (2-0 Dec & 5-3 Dec) - his only loses to a non-NQ or high placer
Very valid points. If you read my starter predictions, I picked Aragona for the very reasons you have just pointed out. While I was very disappointed not to hear much about him or his progress last year, I am giving the benefit of the doubt that he has used the two years to build his strength and hone his skills. However, I do agree with others that he needs to live up to his blue-chip ranking coming into the program. This is the year for such a recruit to show up. My less popular view is that MVB has never been more than a .500 wrestler, even last year when he showed moments of brilliance, so a blue-chip in his third year should be able to unseat him. If MVB can win wrestle-offs with familiar guys but remains inconsistent in competition, the coaches need to consider a change.

Anthony Cassar at psu? Finally won a spot as a jr or sr and won the natty. Beat Gable twice that year I believe. I know slightly different but also close to what we’re talking about here. Cassar couldn’t beat out a guy that ultimately didn’t do much at 197 (Shareef?).

I’m of the belief that once you get a commitment from a kid, you don’t mess with his scholarship money. Its just a bad message to send to future recruits.

Rutgers bought into JoJo. They have to take the good with the bad.

Not sure why anyone is trying to compare JoJo to Perrotti, as JoJo was ranked much higher out of HS. JoJo needs to show good progress this season as it's his 3rd year.

I’m of the belief that once you get a commitment from a kid, you don’t mess with his scholarship money. Its just a bad message to send to future recruits.

Rutgers bought into JoJo. They have to take the good with the bad.
What does that mean? If he continues to perform well below expectations and regresses in year 3, then it's time to have the talk and consider processing out. B1G only requires 4 year scholarship guarantees so he'd be gone after next season anyway because that'd be his 4th.

What does that mean? If he continues to perform well below expectations and regresses in year 3, then it's time to have the talk and consider processing out. B1G only requires 4 year scholarship guarantees so he'd be gone after next season anyway because that'd be his 4th.
I just philosophically disagree with that. If he sucks, then that’s a problem they should be forced to deal with. It’s a selling point to recruits, we will honor your scholarship until you’re ready to move on.

Not sure why anyone is trying to compare JoJo to Perrotti, as JoJo was ranked much higher out of HS. JoJo needs to show good progress this season as it's his 3rd year.
It wasn't a comparison, the question posed was, "can you guys think of many wrestlers that just turned into a contender his final years out of the blue?". Perrotti was a part of that answer.

I hope JoJo proves a lot of people wrong. He’s definitely talented enough to be successful here.

I just philosophically disagree with that. If he sucks, then that’s a problem they should be forced to deal with. It’s a selling point to recruits, we will honor your scholarship until you’re ready to move on.
Why as it happens everywhere in every sport? There's too much at stake to tie up dead money for an extra year if you can process out. At most, he'd have lost 1 year because no one is keeping someone for year 5 or even 6 if they underperformed for 4 years.

It wasn't a comparison, the question posed was, "can you guys think of many wrestlers that just turned into a contender his final years out of the blue?". Perrotti was a part of that answer.
Gotcha. He turned it on in year 3 and AA'd after redshirting in year 2, but he also wasn't nearly as highly ranked with expectations of 3x or 4x AA

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT