ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

Didn’t realize that. So what are we waiting for
To be last and behind the 8 ball. It's the only way Rutgers knows how to do things. It seriously could be a dynasty for the duration of the sport if they jump in early. NJ is already a hot bed for women's high school wrestling.

You don't even have to bring a men's sport on board. Title IX only states you have to give the same amount of opportunities to women's sports as you do men's. There is no Men's version of this, so you can give as many opportunities on the women's side as you want without equal for the men's side.

Didn’t realize that. So what are we waiting for
That's not accurate, as it requires equal access and opportunities (proportionality) for both men and women.

Is there really a big appetite for a women's wrestling team from a fan standpoint outside of some diehard wrestling fans on this board? I honestly have no idea. What type of crowd would they realistically get in the RAC for a women's match compared to the thousands that show up for the mens team?

Is there really a big appetite for a women's wrestling team from a fan standpoint outside of some diehard wrestling fans on this board? I honestly have no idea. What type of crowd would they realistically get in the RAC for a women's match compared to the thousands that show up for the mens team?
You can say the same thing about a lot of womens sports. In general there’s minimal interest in comparison. But that said, the rutgers women sports that draw the most are probably the ones that are most successful. Get an early jump on the sport and I’m confident wrestling would be the best womens draw aside from basketball when the team is good.

If women can earn Olympic gold medals in boxing, judo, and taekwondo, then it makes sense to cultivate women's wrestling programs in the US. The women's freestyle competition at the Olympics was pretty good and the US did well. We need to encourage women's programs at the high school and college levels to keep the sport relevant. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that it was almost dropped from the Olympics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT