ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

I heard a story earlier this week. It may not be 100% accurate, but I’m sure there are elements of truth to it. Alvarez told the coaches he can’t make 133 anymore. Coaches told him if he’s not going to make 133 he might as well just quit. Im assuming this was told to him as a motivational thing, not literal. Alvarez didn’t back down from his inability to make 133 and the coaches were pretty annoyed about it as they feel he could make the weight if he stayed mentally focused. Alvarez didn’t want to stay down at this weight though so he left for a little bit.

Judging by the fact he’s still hanging out with the team tells me he’s not quitting though.
That doesn't sound like our staff, so I'm curious to find out more details. From a timing perspective, when was he told this; Jan after getting injured? And why would he ask and commit to go 133 when he struggled with that the year before? Seems very odd not to bulk and get stronger for 149 or RS and go 141 for 2022-23.

I know that landing a few grad transfers would be ideal, but I'm pretty high on out recent recruits for 160. I think Gayer is a diamond in the rough. He beat the #1 160lber recently.

Reactions: mikemessner
I know that landing a few grad transfers would be ideal, but I'm pretty high on out recent recruits for 160. I think Gayer is a diamond in the rough. He beat the #1 160lber recently.
Everyone is landing impact transfers to stay competitive or improve positioning, so we need to continue to do so, along with improving HS recruiting.

SCNJ
That story is totally bs. He could not make it at Wisconsin so the coaches sat and consoled him and never said if you can’t make it you might as well quit. Scott said he would never make any such comment to a kid in his 15 years here like that. Sammy’s problem was that he had a problem not being THE GUY which cause he to leave for awhile.

I’m hoping Gayer will be great as well but it’s not a great strategy to always be needing to count on true freshman to make an impact. It rarely happens even for the super elite recruits in the B1G which Gayer isn’t.

There is a reason why PSU, Iowa, etc like guys taking gap years (like SVN did this year) or redshirt before taking the mat. We need to be getting on those cycles where our elite recruits can RS so they can develop mentally and physically for the grind of the season.

I heard a story earlier this week. It may not be 100% accurate, but I’m sure there are elements of truth to it. Alvarez told the coaches he can’t make 133 anymore. Coaches told him if he’s not going to make 133 he might as well just quit. Im assuming this was told to him as a motivational thing, not literal. Alvarez didn’t back down from his inability to make 133 and the coaches were pretty annoyed about it as they feel he could make the weight if he stayed mentally focused. Alvarez didn’t want to stay down at this weight though so he left for a little bit.

Judging by the fact he’s still hanging out with the team tells me he’s not quitting though.
Im not doubting what you’ve heard but I’m not sure I can believe that story. Anyone that has ever interacted with Goodale and the rest of his staff knows that’s extremely uncharacteristic of them.

Why does it always seem to be the kid’s fault? What responsibility do the coaches have for a kid underperforming. Are they recruiting the wrong kids?

Alvarez, Glasgow, Corenti, Aragona, Paetzell, Mulligan, Grello, Suriano, Robinson, Aguilar, and others were high ranked recruits. Not saying none of these kids were at fault. What part of the poor performance is on the coaches for not developing kids, unable to prevent performing kids from transferring, or recruiting the wrong kids?

Hope Sammy, Turley, and Poz AA next year. They proved that they can do it. We need to demonstrate that we can develop and keep kids. Most teams are after transfers so it may be harder to get transfers who have AA potential.

Why does it always seem to be the kid’s fault? What responsibility do the coaches have for a kid underperforming. Are they recruiting the wrong kids?

Alvarez, Glasgow, Corenti, Aragona, Paetzell, Mulligan, Grello, Suriano, Robinson, Aguilar, and others were high ranked recruits. Not saying none of these kids were at fault. What part of the poor performance is on the coaches for not developing kids, unable to prevent performing kids from transferring, or recruiting the wrong kids?

Hope Sammy, Turley, and Poz AA next year. They proved that they can do it. We need to demonstrate that we can develop and keep kids. Most teams are after transfers so it may be harder to get transfers who have AA potential.
If you're not careful, pretty soon some are going to insist you're me with a different handle, then the name-calling will follow. And don't you know, you'll be a Penn State troll.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
SCNJ
That story is totally bs. He could not make it at Wisconsin so the coaches sat and consoled him and never said if you can’t make it you might as well quit. Scott said he would never make any such comment to a kid in his 15 years here like that. Sammy’s problem was that he had a problem not being THE GUY which cause he to leave for awhile.
Then I apologize for the story I was told. Don’t mean to spread rumors but heard this from someone who is connected to some of the wrestlers. Same guy that told me Rivera was looking to grad transfer long before it became a notable rumor and same guy that told me about DeSantis committing before it was public knowledge.

Glad the staff took the high road.

That doesn't sound like our staff, so I'm curious to find out more details. From a timing perspective, when was he told this; Jan after getting injured? And why would he ask and commit to go 133 when he struggled with that the year before? Seems very odd not to bulk and get stronger for 149 or RS and go 141 for 2022-23.
Heard this story recently but I was told this conversation happened the week leading up to the match where he wasn’t making weight. Don’t remember the exact match that was. Bill said it’s entirely not true so I’ll take his word for it so we can put this to rest. Apologies to anyone, wrestlers and coaches included, who may have been bothered by the story.

Tom Brands contract extension 😲:

Brands' annual salary for this new deal starts $550,000 for the 2022-23 season. It jumps every year thereafter:

• $625,000 for the '23-24 season
  • $700,000 for '24-25
  • $725,000 for '25-26
  • $750,000 for '26-27
  • $775,000 for '27-28
  • $800,000 for '28-29
This is a sizable salary increase for Brands, whose annual salary for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons was $350,000, according to a previous contract amendment.

Damn, That’s a ton of dough for a college wrestling coach living in Iowa.

Reactions: Leonard23

Blame gets spread around, some on the kids, some on the coaches, and some kids that transfer out transfer because they brought in other recruits they cannot beat(at RU in your example Paetzel and Aguilar). RU is not any different than any top teams....They all have kids that they recruited that were very highly ranked that transferred out or never lived up to their HS rankings. A few years ago I listed some examples from Cornell, Penn State etc. It gets noticed a little more at RU because they are usually bringing in 1 or 2 highly ranked kids per year and the other top schools are bringing in more(so a missed is not brought up as much)

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Blame gets spread around, some on the kids, some on the coaches, and some kids that transfer out transfer because they brought in other recruits they cannot beat(at RU in your example Paetzel and Aguilar). RU is not any different than any top teams....They all have kids that they recruited that were very highly ranked that transferred out or never lived up to their HS rankings. A few years ago I listed some examples from Cornell, Penn State etc. It gets noticed a little more at RU because they are usually bringing in 1 or 2 highly ranked kids per year and the other top schools are bringing in more(so a missed is not brought up as much)
Yup. We bring in fewer highly ranked and have to take some more risks.

There is nothing accurate in your gossip story so why even repeat it if you know its not 100% accurate lol...as WNG said ..it’s total bullshit !

I’m hoping Gayer will be great as well but it’s not a great strategy to always be needing to count on true freshman to make an impact. It rarely happens even for the super elite recruits in the B1G which Gayer isn’t.

There is a reason why PSU, Iowa, etc like guys taking gap years (like SVN did this year) or redshirt before taking the mat. We need to be getting on those cycles where our elite recruits can RS so they can develop mentally and physically for the grind of the season.
Whether true fr(Hamiti) or not there’s always freshman AA and national champs every year(this year broke the streak). I think Seabass said it best wrestling, and combat sports, is a young man’s game.. even all the “grandpas” of this season.. some say they r great bc of all the extra years, Seabass, Micic, Eirman, Amine, Kemerer, but they were all already reallly good as freshman. We need to recruit guys that believe they can make an impact right away and not have to wait until their upperclassmen to magically get better.

Whether true fr(Hamiti) or not there’s always freshman AA and national champs every year(this year broke the streak). I think Seabass said it best wrestling, and combat sports, is a young man’s game.. even all the “grandpas” of this season.. some say they r great bc of all the extra years, Seabass, Micic, Eirman, Amine, Kemerer, but they were all already reallly good as freshman. We need to recruit guys that believe they can make an impact right away and not have to wait until their upperclassmen to magically get better.

I am sure the staff would love to recruit guys who can make an immediate impact. You need the results before the top ELITE recruits come to RU. RU have 4? straight years with 2 AA's.....Now they need to expand and start producing 3 or 4 AA's a year. RU success with Bulsak is a great selling point.... How many wins did he have at NCAA in 4 years? RU trained him and got him to an All American Status.

The "Jeff Buxton" effect has not been felt. Perhaps we fell it this off season.

Last edited:
I am sure the staff would love to recruit guys who can make an immediate impact. You need the results before the top ELITE recruits come to RU. RU have 7 straight years with 2 AA's.....Now they need to expand and start producing 3 or 4 AA's a year. RU success with Bulsak is a great selling point.... How many wins did he have at NCAA in 4 years? RU trained him and got him to an All American Status.

I was wrong, forgot brooks/cStar/o’tool technically are fresh this year. And yeah we need the next Ash, and Suriano and Seabass were elites that transferred here so there is a draw. Bulsak exceeded so many expectations.. he did not perform well at all at NCAA prior.. maybe won a match or two if that at clarion.

I am sure the staff would love to recruit guys who can make an immediate impact. You need the results before the top ELITE recruits come to RU. RU have 4? straight years with 2 AA's.....Now they need to expand and start producing 3 or 4 AA's a year. RU success with Bulsak is a great selling point.... How many wins did he have at NCAA in 4 years? RU trained him and got him to an All American Status.

This is the double standard that will likely never go away. We've shown results, built a new practice facility, and have one of the best home match environments with top 5 attendance, yet that's not good enough. It's BS.

As for the Buxton effect, he's been here for 5 mins (started in January), so it's unrealistic to expect any results, and it was an unnecessary comment.

I was wrong, forgot brooks/cStar/o’tool technically are fresh this year. And yeah we need the next Ash, and Suriano and Seabass were elites that transferred here so there is a draw. Bulsak exceeded so many expectations.. he did not perform well at all at NCAA prior.. maybe won a match or two if that at clarion.
Aaron Brooks graduated high school in 2018 plus spent a year at the OTC before enrolling at PSU.

This was Staroccis 3rd year of college wrestling (RS year + 2 NCS) and was still technically considered a freshman this year due to the COVID year so neither of those situations are typical.

O’Toole was also a 2nd year freshmen so again that extra year (or two) makes a massive difference.

Yes, there will always be outliers and a true freshman who comes in and dominates but it’s extremely rare and not something we want to count on happening every hear. We should wanting out guys to redshirt and develop.

Aaron Brooks graduated high school in 2018 plus spent a year at the OTC before enrolling at PSU.

This was Staroccis 3rd year of college wrestling (RS year + 2 NCS) and was still technically considered a freshman this year due to the COVID year so neither of those situations are typical.

O’Toole was also a 2nd year freshmen so again that extra year (or two) makes a massive difference.

Yes, there will always be outliers and a true freshman who comes in and dominates but it’s extremely rare and not something we want to count on happening every hear. We should wanting out guys to redshirt and develop.
I get what you are saying but I don’t think freshman AA(and even rarer champs) are as outlier as you may think… literally every year there are a bunch of freshman(true/rs) AA. And if not freshman then def by their soph.

Even when we look at the top seniors every year a big chunk of them were already doing very well there freshman/soph years.. it’s very rare to find a sr that just made a huge jump out of the blue.. can you name me many examples? I can’t think of many.

Ofc he want guys to rs and develop but we need to find the guys with the highest upside. For example, Seabass who was not highly recruited coming out of hs.. but yeah for the majority of college lvl wrestlers I rarely see huge jumps out of no where.. like a non qualifier to a national champ/high AA by sr year type of thing this is even more of an outlier.

This is the double standard that will likely never go away. We've shown results, built a new practice facility, and have one of the best home match environments with top 5 attendance, yet that's not good enough. It's BS.

As for the Buxton effect, he's been here for 5 mins (started in January), so it's unrealistic to expect any results, and it was an unnecessary comment.
Rutgers biggest problem is the physical infrastructure of the university itself. It’s enormous but it’s not a true college campus. It’s 4 small towns interwoven in a big NJ city. You might need to take a 40 minute bus ride to get to your 8am class. That’s not something the best athletes in the world are running to sign up for if there are similar ability programs available.

I get what you are saying but I don’t think freshman AA(and even rarer champs) are as outlier as you may think… literally every year there are a bunch of freshman(true/rs) AA. And if not freshman then def by their soph.

Even when we look at the top seniors every year a big chunk of them were already doing very well there freshman/soph years.. it’s very rare to find a sr that just made a huge jump out of the blue.. can you name me many examples? I can’t think of many.

Ofc he want guys to rs and develop but we need to find the guys with the highest upside. For example, Seabass who was not highly recruited coming out of hs.. but yeah for the majority of college lvl wrestlers I rarely see huge jumps out of no where.. like a non qualifier to a national champ/high AA by sr year type of thing this is even more of an outlier.

Based on this years data, the sweet spot is 4 years removed from high school so for a lot of people that’s a RS sophomore year…so yes it’s definitely not common since only 6/80 (8%) of AAs were two years or less removed from HS.

Based on this years data, the sweet spot is 4 years removed from high school so for a lot of people that’s a RS sophomore year…so yes it’s definitely not common since only 6/80 (8%) of AAs were two years or less removed from HS.
Interesting list, A lot of the sr/jr on that list were already AA their freshman/soph year and a big chunk of the RS soph list is now a multiple time AA. By the time they are sr there will be a new crop of fresh/soph AA.

i think if we had a percentage of how many of those AA had their first AA during their(fresh/soph true/rs)years it would be pretty high.

1-6 in NCAA’s at Clarion. So yes it’s a great selling point to D1 transfers. Hey maybe Rutgers can get me over the hump.

Last edited:
Rutgers biggest problem is the physical infrastructure of the university itself. It’s enormous but it’s not a true college campus. It’s 4 small towns interwoven in a big NJ city. You might need to take a 40 minute bus ride to get to your 8am class. That’s not something the best athletes in the world are running to sign up for if there are similar ability programs available.
Will the excuses ever stop? The facility (fixed), scholarships (fixed), fan base (fixed), nutrition (fixed - visit the APC), weight room (fixed). Now it is riding a bus to class. I bet the kids have first choice on their class schedule and they have an academic advisor to guide them.

Last edited:
Will the excuses ever stop? The facility (fixed), scholarships (fixed), fan base (fixed), nutrition (fixed - visit the APC), weight room (fixed). Now it is riding a bus to class. I bet the kids have first choice on their class schedule and they have an academic advisor to guide them.
You’re right. There’s absolutely no reason the top kids in the country are choosing other schools in every sport. Just a bunch of fake excuses.

Micic, who did not AA, graduated in 2014 which is hilarious.

For anyone who took statistics with Crackers this year, this is a normal distribution which honestly I wouldn’t have expected without the visual. Thanks for sharing.

If it makes anyone feel better Iowa and OSU fans are in disarray with the direction they're headed and how the team is managed. RU fans aren't really different. I think the world is just tired of seeing PSU thrive so much.

It seems to me that the program is headed in the right direction, much like many of the other olympic sports.

It seems to me that the program is headed in the right direction, much like many of the other olympic sports.
Would really love to see them get a female wrestling team before they get lapped. I understand there’s a title ix issue there but there’s gotta be a cheap male sport they can also bring in to offset. Like fencing or something.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Would really love to see them get a female wrestling team before they get lapped. I understand there’s a title ix issue there but there’s gotta be a cheap male sport they can also bring in to offset. Like fencing or something.
Fencing, men's tennis, men's swimming/diving, would work.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Fencing, men's tennis, men's swimming/diving, would work.
Likely cheaper to increase the roster size of some of the existing men's programs, if you need to at all. What's it 10-15 spots?

Reactions: bigmatt718
I assume this was some dig at title 9 that I couldn’t quite follow.
Huh? Nope. It's a factual statement that if you need to offer equal opportunities by adding some men's spots, then it's cheaper to increase existing men's rosters, rather than adding an entire new men's sport.

Reactions: bigmatt718
You don't even have to bring a men's sport on board. Title IX only states you have to give the same amount of opportunities to women's sports as you do men's. There is no Men's version of this, so you can give as many opportunities on the women's side as you want without equal for the men's side.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
You don't even have to bring a men's sport on board. Title IX only states you have to give the same amount of opportunities to women's sports as you do men's. There is no Men's version of this, so you can give as many opportunities on the women's side as you want without equal for the men's side.
Didn’t realize that. So what are we waiting for

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT