ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

DU
You know I really feel spry and quickness in my step. Funny story. Yesterday I walked into the Motor Vehicle office in Somerville and the woman there looked at me walking in and said “wow you sure have a spring in your step”. I turned around and said to her, “not bad for an 80 year old going on 81”. She said to me, “ no freaking way. What kind of vitamins do you take?” I told her none!

Reactions: DUForever
Crackers
Try hitting the big 80!
Bill, I'm hoping I can. I haven't been doing too many marathons anymore. The knees are starting to hurt and the back. Been doing a lot of fishing though. Spring is right around the corner.Gonna get on my high horse and start putting some mileage in again.

Crackers
This may bite me in the ass but I have no aches or pains, still have all my original parts and joints and just passed my annual physical Monday with flying colors. Happy fishing!

Crackers
This may bite me in the ass but I have no aches or pains, still have all my original parts and joints and just passed my annual physical Monday with flying colors. Happy fishing!
I think the grind of all my grappling years has really taken a toll on my body. The knees have taken the most pounding with the twisting and turning in funk positions. Plus, all the road miles I did after my wrestling career was over. I was supposed to come out to visit some buddies from the Passaic County area in either April or June but needed to cancel both dates. Definitely coming back July. Would love to meet up in the Rutgers area if available. See ya Bill

Be careful Crackers, Bill might be trapping you into meeting with some wrestling dads that want to fight you

Holden and Reece Heller from Hofstra transferring to Pitt. Would have liked to see us make a run at them. They are 157/165 and redshirted this year. Think they could have really helped us at those 2 weights. They are very funky wrestlers. With our staff think they could have done well. Not huge names like everyone thinks of but have seen them wrestle a lot and could have been solid additions and contributors at questionable weights for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS-RU
I think he's done due to health reasons. I just read a post of his on Twitter and the first comment from a friend essentially said that.
Yea, you might be correct. I saw that tweet and was hoping he was alluding to his career at Cornell being over(since he graduates...no Grad students in Ivy).

Yea, you might be correct. I saw that tweet and was hoping he was alluding to his career at Cornell being over(since he graduates...no Grad students in Ivy).
I was actually thinking about him being available recently. He would be another great grab!

We really need to concentrate all of our transfer efforts in the 157/165 range as those are biggest holes in the lineup currently. Ideally would love to grab someone like Zach Hartman (Bucknell) with his last year but not sure if he is looking to transfer or who else might be out there eventually.

White had a great RS season but so did Kanniard in 2020 when he went 13-5 as compared to White's 13-4 vs. D1 competition. Obviously the B1G is a whole different ball game so nothing should be considered a shoe-in here. Hopefully White finds success, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to find a guy with 1-2 years left in this range to give him some additional time to develop and get stronger.

197/184 could be a mess/weak spot as well depending on what happens with Poz (redshirt) and the plan with Soldano is.

Given what we know today, the lineup should be some combination of the below:

125 - Shawver
133 - Peterson / Raimo
141 - Olivieri / Garcia
149 - Alvarez / White
157 - Kanniard / White / Clark
165 - Clark / Kanniard / O'Neill
174 - Turley / Soldano / O'Neill
184 - Poz / Janzer / Soldano
197 - Poz / Janzer / Casale
285 - McDermott / Hamilton / Casale

Reactions: SCNJ
Would 141 still make for a miserable experience for Sammy? I'm not in favor of anyone having to cut too much weight, so I don't see O'Neill at 165 or Soldano at 174 and question whether Turley can make 174 again. Same for Janzer at 184.

Would 141 still make for a miserable experience for Sammy? I'm not in favor of anyone having to cut too much weight, so I don't see O'Neill at 165 or Soldano at 174 and question whether Turley can make 174 again. Same for Janzer at 184.
If Sammy goes 141 where would Olivieri go?? Battle Peterson for 133? Think Sammy would fit perfectly at 149 btw Gomez and Lovett were both same fresh class as Sammy when they were all 133 seems like bumping up did them wonders.

I thought O’Neill was already going 165 until Turley went down so he bumped up to take over 174 no? Either way Turley looked fine at 174 if he went up to 184 it could create a huge log jam…

Doesn't Joey O have a red shirt available?

Also, does Alvarez have a redshirt?

That certainly doesn't sound promising.

Hopefully he has a lot of credits and can graduate in a year.... Then he could explore grad transfers. Who knows.

He will have suitors and the potential is there. He has yet to wrestle in a NCAA tournament. He is proven he will be a threat to AA, but it is not a given. We have several good people that he could train with.

We really need to concentrate all of our transfer efforts in the 157/165 range as those are biggest holes in the lineup currently. Ideally would love to grab someone like Zach Hartman (Bucknell) with his last year but not sure if he is looking to transfer or who else might be out there eventually.

White had a great RS season but so did Kanniard in 2020 when he went 13-5 as compared to White's 13-4 vs. D1 competition. Obviously the B1G is a whole different ball game so nothing should be considered a shoe-in here. Hopefully White finds success, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to find a guy with 1-2 years left in this range to give him some additional time to develop and get stronger.

197/184 could be a mess/weak spot as well depending on what happens with Poz (redshirt) and the plan with Soldano is.

Given what we know today, the lineup should be some combination of the below:

125 - Shawver
133 - Peterson / Raimo
141 - Olivieri / Garcia
149 - Alvarez / White
157 - Kanniard / White / Clark
165 - Clark / Kanniard / O'Neill
174 - Turley / Soldano / O'Neill
184 - Poz / Janzer / Soldano
197 - Poz / Janzer / Casale
285 - McDermott / Hamilton / Casale
Hope White can bulk up to 157 and Kanniard can bulk up to 165.

Maybe Kennedy Monday wants to be close to his brother? Apparently, he has 1 or 2 years left as a grad student and is considering a return 🤷🏻‍♂️. Hard to follow as it looks like tweets keep getting deleted.

Last edited:
I heard a story earlier this week. It may not be 100% accurate, but I’m sure there are elements of truth to it. Alvarez told the coaches he can’t make 133 anymore. Coaches told him if he’s not going to make 133 he might as well just quit. Im assuming this was told to him as a motivational thing, not literal. Alvarez didn’t back down from his inability to make 133 and the coaches were pretty annoyed about it as they feel he could make the weight if he stayed mentally focused. Alvarez didn’t want to stay down at this weight though so he left for a little bit.

Judging by the fact he’s still hanging out with the team tells me he’s not quitting though.

I heard a story earlier this week. It may not be 100% accurate, but I’m sure there are elements of truth to it. Alvarez told the coaches he can’t make 133 anymore. Coaches told him if he’s not going to make 133 he might as well just quit...
Wow, if true, that sounds as demoralizing as any bashing I've seen here.

I heard a story earlier this week. It may not be 100% accurate, but I’m sure there are elements of truth to it. Alvarez told the coaches he can’t make 133 anymore. Coaches told him if he’s not going to make 133 he might as well just quit. Im assuming this was told to him as a motivational thing, not literal. Alvarez didn’t back down from his inability to make 133 and the coaches were pretty annoyed about it as they feel he could make the weight if he stayed mentally focused. Alvarez didn’t want to stay down at this weight though so he left for a little bit.

Judging by the fact he’s still hanging out with the team tells me he’s not quitting though.
Might as well quit huh .. that’s pretty harsh

I still don’t get the move to try for 133 again after not being able to make it the year before…that just sounds like a very bad idea…I’d have to imagine Alvarez and MVB were pretty close at 149 and if spent a whole year bulking up who knows who wins that battle… and even if don’t win the spot coulda at least RS to not waste the year.. 🤷‍♂️ I’d imagine the passion had to have taken a huge hit now that two season wit no nationals

I think the grind of all my grappling years has really taken a toll on my body. The knees have taken the most pounding with the twisting and turning in funk positions. Plus, all the road miles I did after my wrestling career was over. I was supposed to come out to visit some buddies from the Passaic County area in either April or June but needed to cancel both dates. Definitely coming back July. Would love to meet up in the Rutgers area if available. See ya Bill

You did a lot of road miles in college as well; I recall seeing you run quite often around the Douglas/Cook campus back in the early eighties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT