ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

Don’t know. Think he deserves a shot to battle with MVB for a spot at the very least. This team is really good on paper but there’s too many guys wrestling at a weight class they probably shouldn’t be at. Alvarez is clearly better suited at 141 or 149. Rivera has looked great but he’s probably got a better shot at a title at 133. Kannaird belongs at 165.
Not gonna take a kid like MVB out of the lineup when he's done everything asked of him. It's MVB spot in March Alvarez will be the backup 141/149. He certed 133 was doing fine and couldn't maintain it. He doesn't deserve to knock a starter out of the line up. Also he's not beating MVB right now at 149

Don’t know. Think he deserves a shot to battle with MVB for a spot at the very least. This team is really good on paper but there’s too many guys wrestling at a weight class they probably shouldn’t be at. Alvarez is clearly better suited at 141 or 149. Rivera has looked great but he’s probably got a better shot at a title at 133. Kannaird belongs at 165.

Rivera got 4th last year and looks much stronger now. Last year he looked way undersized and his strength wasn't there. He was near even with Lee.

This year, Jayden looks like a shadow of himself. Mimic just got handed by Cole Mathews (he is up from 133 in folk). I'm not sure where Lee stands, but Lee is really good so he probably got better.

Where I'm getting at is, he definitely has a strong shot at 141. I can't wait for Sunday. I don't think either wrestler will duck. The more opportunities to face Lee the better.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't think Rivera has any interest in cutting that much to make 133. And I don't blame him. Cutting weight sucks and he was cutting a ton to make 125 and 133 for as long as he did.
Not gonna take a kid like MVB out of the lineup when he's done everything asked of him. It's MVB spot in March Alvarez will be the backup 141/149. He certed 133 was doing fine and couldn't maintain it. He doesn't deserve to knock a starter out of the line up. Also he's not beating MVB right now at 149
Alvarez absolutely deserves a shot to wrestle off at 149 if he wants. How can you say he doesn't? Honestly, it was very stupid for him to even try 133 again after last season. They should've figured out how to convince him to go 149 a long time ago. I have no idea if he can beat MVB. Anyone know if they wrestle much in practice and how it goes?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
It really is poor that Alvarez in the same position he was in March 2021. He and the staff and his family had 5-6 months to really figure it out. That doesn’t mean things always work out after careful thought and planning but I’m bummed for him. Really really hope he stays at RU! I like his style and potential and believe he can be a special wrestler.

It really is poor that Alvarez in the same position he was in March 2021. He and the staff and his family had 5-6 months to really figure it out. That doesn’t mean things always work out after careful thought and planning but I’m bummed for him. Really really hope he stays at RU! I like his style and potential and believe he can be a special wrestler.
I don’t blame Alvarez. Willing to bet it was a selfless decision. Staff probably sat with him and said Rivera is going 141 and MVB is going 149. You can challenge either one of them, or you can try and go 133 where we don’t really have anyone else other then some redshirts.

I don’t blame Alvarez. Willing to bet it was a selfless decision. Staff probably sat with him and said Rivera is going 141 and MVB is going 149. You can challenge either one of them, or you can try and go 133 where we don’t really have anyone else other then some redshirts.
In that scenario the ultimate decision still with him, no?

Maybe we see Sammy tomorrow at 141 and let Seabass concentrate on Nick Lee Sunday?
Just a heads up that both RBY and Nick Lee were fighting an illness last week and neither were in the lineup last Sunday against Indiana. Don't be shocked if they do not wrestle this week either. Hope they are both healthy though. Looking forward to a good dual!

Not sure but wondering if this storm could mess with this Penn St match on Sunday. The match starts at 5 pm so RU would be heading home around 8 PM through this storm. It looks like they are supposed to get over a foot of snow in central PA.

Not sure but wondering if this storm could mess with this Penn St match on Sunday. The match starts at 5 pm so RU would be heading home around 8 PM through this storm. It looks like they are supposed to get over a foot of snow in central PA.
That's a good point. I wonder if it's possible to get an earlier start time.

I don't think Rivera has any interest in cutting that much to make 133. And I don't blame him. Cutting weight sucks and he was cutting a ton to make 125 and 133 for as long as he did.

Alvarez absolutely deserves a shot to wrestle off at 149 if he wants. How can you say he doesn't? Honestly, it was very stupid for him to even try 133 again after last season. They should've figured out how to convince him to go 149 a long time ago. I have no idea if he can beat MVB. Anyone know if they wrestle much in practice and how it goes?
No him trying 133 wasn't stupid. He certed there and was maintaining that weight. Do you know what he weighed when he came in the room for practice everyday? And what left at? Was it a difficult pull yes but he knew that was his only way in the lineup. He's not beating Van Brill regardless of what you think

Sammy didn't have issues making weight this year, he was maintaining his weight. The ankle injury prevented him from practicing the way he needed to maintain the weight. He returned to practice on Wednesday before the two dual meets. It just wasn't enough time on a ankle that wasn't 100% to make weight.

Is Olivieri’s RS pull indicative that the coaches don’t think all that highly of Garcia? There were some here that were considering Garcia as a possible starter next year.

Sammy didn't have issues making weight this year, he was maintaining his weight. The ankle injury prevented him from practicing the way he needed to maintain the weight. He returned to practice on Wednesday before the two dual meets. It just wasn't enough time on a ankle that wasn't 100% to make weight.
Exactly. He was doing better this year that last year. He got hurt wasn't discipline and couldn't make it back down. And probably didn't want to keep doing it. Plus you can't wait until Big 10 and have it happen. Gotta go with Joey O and get him matches now and be ready. Alvarez can go 141 next year or maybe 149. He will be in the room making guys better until then

Reactions: mikemessner
Is Olivieri’s RS pull indicative that the coaches don’t think all that highly of Garcia? There were some here that were considering Garcia as a possible starter next year.
If Garcia is here and in the room I was told he will wrestle 141. I haven't been in the room this month.

Exactly. He was doing better this year that last year. He got hurt wasn't discipline and couldn't make it back down. And probably didn't want to keep doing it. Plus you can't wait until Big 10 and have it happen. Gotta go with Joey O and get him matches now and be ready. Alvarez can go 141 next year or maybe 149. He will be in the room making guys better until then
Sammy was saying his future would be probably 149. He has the frame for it, just needs to dedicate himself to the weight room.

Where exactly would that be? 133 door closed and obviously Sebastian at 141. Only chance would be big weight class step up mid year to 149. Seems highly unlikely that he would be the one to go at 149 in 2 months.
Coach said 3 months and clearly that means after this season, Sammy will dictate whether he moves forward at 141 or 149.
Seabass isnt obviously at 141 as you think. I'm gonna throw it out there. I think there's a chance Seabass tries 33, Sammy goes 41, MVB 149. The only thing that doesnt make sense to me in that scenario is Olivieri burning his RS.

Seabass isnt obviously at 141 as you think. I'm gonna throw it out there. I think there's a chance Seabass tries 33, Sammy goes 41, MVB 149. The only thing that doesnt make sense to me in that scenario is Olivieri burning his RS.
Seb will stay at 141, he's feeling strong this year at 141. Seb will be a National Champ at 141.

No him trying 133 wasn't stupid. He certed there and was maintaining that weight. Do you know what he weighed when he came in the room for practice everyday? And what left at? Was it a difficult pull yes but he knew that was his only way in the lineup. He's not beating Van Brill regardless of what you think
All this talk of him going 149 after last season, why didn't he bulk up to 149? How does he do against MVB in the room, as no one has answered that question? How do you know he can't beat him? We'll have to agree to disagree on the decision, because he had too much difficulty with 133 last season and plenty of the same uncertainty was at play this season with covid and injuries that make it more difficult to make weight are always possible. Needing everything to be nearly perfect isn't an ideal plan.
Interesting. What makes you think that he's dropping to 133?

I think a lot of us probably had a similar initial reaction when we heard Sammy was going to try 133 again, which was a bit of a head-scratcher from the outside looking in. If a week or two layoff basically led to the weight issue last year, had to assume it was also a risk going into this season. Margin for error was virtually zero here and everything had to go perfectly in order for Sammy to make weight. Really unfortunate his season ended early two years in a row.

Hold on the one glaring thing nobody brought up is that even with the injury he only missed weight by .4
So if he’s that close the ankles ok bc he’s practicing what happened from when he’s .4 from making 33 to the next day he’s done?? Doesn’t make sense unless he was killing himself to get down but from what’s been posted he was good with weight until the injury.

Hold on the one glaring thing nobody brought up is that even with the injury he only missed weight by .4
So if he’s that close the ankles ok bc he’s practicing what happened from when he’s .4 from making 33 to the next day he’s done?? Doesn’t make sense unless he was killing himself to get down but from what’s been posted he was good with weight until the injury.
It’s been said that it has been extremely difficult as well as mentally taxing. It’s not viable for him to keep it going the rest of the year unfortunately. They need to look out for his health and best interests first and foremost.

According to mikes post Sammy wasn’t having issues until the ankle and even then he’s only .4 over. How do you go from only misssing by .4 Monday to its a wrap on Tuesday?? Unless of course he blew up after not making weight 😳

• Love
You've to certify at a weight in order to make that weight. Seabass didn't cert 133

According to mikes post Sammy wasn’t having issues until the ankle and even then he’s only .4 over. How do you go from only misssing by .4 Monday to its a wrap on Tuesday?? Unless of course he blew up after not making weight 😳
You're missing the point. He probably had to starve and dehydrate to even get to 0.4 over because he couldn't get in all the additional workouts needed to make weight. That's not sustainable.

Reactions: mikemessner
You're missing the point. He probably had to starve and dehydrate to even get to 0.4 over because he couldn't get in all the additional workouts needed to make weight. That's not sustainable.
Your not getting it. Per Mike he’s had no issues until the ankle making 133. . With the injury/lack of practice he still got to 133.4! So if the info is rite that hes making 133 easy (no issues= starving, plastics, 5 over match day) then he misses 1-2 matches and back on schedule. Or like I said maybe he lost it and blew up after not making weight. It happens it’s a mental grind and he only has that spot in the lineup

Thanks for the info on Sammy. It makes a lot of sense. It’s an unfortunate situation however if Sammy can bulk up a little could be a very good thing for us ne

Your not getting it. Per Mike he’s had no issues until the ankle making 133. . With the injury/lack of practice he still got to 133.4! So if the info is rite that hes making 133 easy (no issues= starving, plastics, 5 over match day) then he misses 1-2 matches and back on schedule. Or like I said maybe he lost it and blew up after not making weight. It happens it’s a mental grind and he only has that spot in the lineup
No, I get it. Who said he got to 133.4 after the injury without any issues? I doubt it was without issues. If he can't get in all the extra workouts to make weight due the injury then it's not sustainable to just starve and dehydrate.

No, I get it. Who said he got to 133.4 after the injury without any issues? I doubt it was without issues. If he can't get in all the extra workouts to make weight due the injury then it's not sustainable to just starve and dehydrate.
I don’t if your reading the posts or not but it’s been explained twice. Mikes in the room and others said he hasn’t had any issues this year. Gets injured and barely misses weight (only one saying he starved is you). He’s in range at .4 over WITH the injury. So you would think that with injury healed he’d be back to his routine able to workout and be issue free again. It’s not like was 4 lbs over wo an injury and able to work out. He’s .4 over unable to wo. That’s all 😳😳

It's a fair question to ask. A lot probably depends on how severe the ankle injury is and how much he's able to work out.

Others would know more so than I, but hopefully its not an issue of being undisciplined like it was last season. Which Sammy admitted himself. I'm not saying it happened again, but in that hypothetical it would be a bit concerning.

I don’t if your reading the posts or not but it’s been explained twice. Mikes in the room and others said he hasn’t had any issues this year. Gets injured and barely misses weight (only one saying he starved is you). He’s in range at .4 over WITH the injury. So you would think that with injury healed he’d be back to his routine able to workout and be issue free again. It’s not like was 4 lbs over wo an injury and able to work out. He’s .4 over unable to wo. That’s all 😳😳
You're still missing my point. No one said that after the injury he would be fine making weight. If you're injured and can't work as hard and get in all the extra workouts needed, then you starve and dehydrate more to make it, which isn't sustainable.

Def don’t get your point. When he was .4 over the injury was healed he was weighing in to wrestle. So if he’s making weight easy for 2 months is out a week and a half and comes in .4 over why would he not be back where he was before injury. Worse case he misses the match he’s able to work out & drop the .4 unless your thinking it was 4 lbs I don’t get your point.

Wonder if we are sending anyone to the Edinboro Open tomorrow. We have sent people in the past and I noticed it was listed SKWC events page, but can't find any registration details yet. Something to keep an eye on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT