ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

Lee was never wrestling, everyone knew that. He wasn’t even listed as probable. Why travel all the way to Iowa and not bring another 125er if you have no intention of wrestling? Seems incredibly stupid.
Glory didn't even try to make weight after Lee ducked for seeding. Sheesh. The real issue is the load management and ducking that Iowa and Brands instilled to maintain seeding. Sports suck with all this nonsense at every level. Just wrestle.

Glory didn't even try to make weight after Lee ducked for seeding. Sheesh. The real issue is the load management and ducking that Iowa and Brands instilled to maintain seeding. Sports suck with all this nonsense at every level. Just wrestle.

If Lee stepped on that scale you best believe Glory would have been ready to role.

Reactions: Leonard23
What was the dual score?
Iowa won 32-12

Cassioppi, Iowa heavyweight (U23 Champ) put Garbino on his back but got rolled over and pinned. Big upset there. Kind of a fluke IMO.

Princeton was never really in it. Iowa sent out like 5 backups. Monday #7 from Princeton handled Young #6 easily with a 9-5 win.

Exactly. Glory didn't go to wrestle some backup. Wrestling will lose fans and participants with this nonsense. Duals matter for the growth of the sport, despite the focus on national championship or bust.
I agree though, all of the ducking is the worst part about the sport currently.

Sure, but why not wrestle someone at 125? Fans paid to watch 10 matches. Forfeits benefit no one. No problem with sitting Glory but why not send out a wrestler?
You want them to burn someone's RS to wrestle 125 after Lee ducked Glory (I know Ivies don't officially RS but you don't use his eligibility for nothing)? Kayal may not have even traveled out there.

You want them to burn someone's RS to wrestle 125 after Lee ducked Glory (I know Ivies don't officially RS but you don't use his eligibility for nothing)? Kayal may not have even traveled out there.
I find it hard to believe they have 0 non-RS wrestlers besides Glory at 125

I find it hard to believe they have 0 non-RS wrestlers besides Glory at 125
I'm not sure why you think that, but Princeton's roster is really small with only 23 listed and Kayal is literally the only other 125, as Spellman is up at 133 now. Nonetheless, it's irrelevant because the entire team doesn't travel to away matches so who knows who did and didn't, but feel free to reach out to Ayers.

I'm not sure why you think that, but Princeton's roster is really small with only 23 listed and Kayal is literally the only other 125, as Spellman is up at 133 now. Nonetheless, it's irrelevant because the entire team doesn't travel to away matches so who knows who did and didn't, but feel free to reach out to Ayers.
C’mon. Iowa made it clear well in advance Lee wasn’t wrestling. If PU knew they would only wrestle Glory if Spencer was wrestling then they knew to bring a back-up 125. If PU does not have a back up 125/only 23 rostered wrestlers then that is poor roster management. The administration is not limiting them to 23 wrestlers. My issue is with Ayers (whom I like and respect) puffing out his chest on Twitter. Lee is going to be on a very restricted schedule and only put in to get the requisite # of matches/when he is needed most. He wrestling with zero ACL’s.

C’mon. Iowa made it clear well in advance Lee wasn’t wrestling. If PU knew they would only wrestle Glory if Spencer was wrestling then they knew to bring a back-up 125. If PU does not have a back up 125/only 23 rostered wrestlers then that is poor roster management. The administration is not limiting them to 23 wrestlers. My issue is with Ayers (whom I like and respect) puffing out his chest on Twitter. Lee is going to be on a very restricted schedule and only put in to get the requisite # of matches/when he is needed most. He wrestling with zero ACL’s.
Oh please. The Monday morning quarterbacking and constant questioning of every coach by our fans that think they always know better than actual college coaches is comical. Poor rostering? Sheesh.

This ESPN+ feed and production from Cornell (vs Stanford) is... interesting... Friedman Center looks like a HS gym complete with the outdated 70s scoreboard, audio is very low, camera is literally on the mat and can't fit the entire mat on the screen, no wrestlers' names on the screen for the bout score (just Cornell/Stanford), but we have a young Marv Albert on the call... I'm so thankful for the RAC and BTN/BIG+

Last edited:
This ESPN+ feed and production from Cornell (vs Stanford) is... interesting... Friedman Center looks like a HS gym complete with the outdated 70s scoreboard, audio is very low, camera is literally on the mat and can't fit the entire mat on the screen, no wrestlers' names on the screen for the bout score (just Cornell/Stanford), but we have a young Marv Albert on the call... I'm so thankful for the RAC and BTN/BIG+
“Grow the sport”

• Haha
Yianni/Abas match was weird. Neither did anything. How does Abas get called for a penalty for grabbing laces on a shot? It's his fault that Yianni's laces are that long and not taped? Bizarre. Griffith loses 3-2 to Ramirez from Blair.

Oh please. The Monday morning quarterbacking and constant questioning of every coach by our fans that think they always know better than actual college coaches is comical. Poor rostering? Sheesh.
Don’t lump me in with whomever you are criticizing here re. coaches. Iowa released a probable lineup early in the week for the Princeton match. Spencer was not on it. Multiple wrestling outlets reported that Lee would not wrestle the match. The Princeton coaches were fully aware of this and chose to bring an on weight Glory then sit him to make a useless point/posture for NCAA seeding down the road. As I said, the only thing I take issue with is Ayers puffing out his chest on Twitter. And, why is it then that Princeton only has 23 rostered wrestlers? They had 33 in 2019 which is more than the RU admin allows. The roster isn’t capped at 23 so whose responsibility is it to fill the roster? Princeton had an able bodied on weight 125lber and an opponent for him but chose not to wrestle. Roster size is irrelevant. Then they acted like it was some shocking surprise/issue that Lee wasn’t wrestling and an insult to the sacrifice that Glory made to come back from U23, travel to Iowa and make weight. That’s bs by the coaches and should be called out for what it is.

Last edited:
Lee ducking Glory is comical. You don't think it has anything to do with his bad knees Leonard?

Horrible take

Lee ducking Glory is comical. You don't think it has anything to do with his bad knees Leonard?

Horrible take
It entirely has to do with his bad knees but Lee shouldn’t be sitting out matches if he constantly wants to be this guy who wrestles in the national tournament and brag “I have no ACL’s” and pretend to be some heroic warrior.

Theres something like 80 D1 wrestling programs. It’s very rare that you get two non conference teams that each have a guaranteed AA on their roster in the same weight class. For not only one of those guys, but both of those guys to not wrestle is bad for the sport. If duals aren’t going to be treated seriously then don’t schedule them, or don’t charge your fans entry. It’s nonsense.

It is not good for the sport. Go have your knees fixed, take the year off and come back next year.
Yes, but it looks like Lee is thinking about the team/team race first and foremost. This year, with him wrestling in NCAA’s is Iowa’s best shot at another title for the foreseeable future. They graduate, Eierman, Marinelli, Kemerer, etc…

Peterson is registered at 125 for the Cleveland State Open on Saturday. Looks to be the only one from RU thus far, but Brett Ungar (Cornell), Logan Heil (CSU), Brady Koontz (tOSU), Jacob Moran (Indiana) are in the bracket so I'm definitely excited to see him back on the mat.

Just tried googling and couldn't find it - is it being streamed?

Yeah looks like he didn’t make it out there. That’s a shame, was definitely interested in seeing him back on the mat.

Hopefully it’s not injury related, but rather logistical issues getting out there or something like that.
Yeah looks like he didn’t make it out there. That’s a shame, was definitely interested in seeing him back on the mat.

Hopefully it’s not injury related, but rather logistical issues getting out there or something like that.
Scott seemed very convincing he was going. Wonder if it had to do with Weather situation last night. Weather was brutal in mid west. Have to think lots of flights cancelled etc

Scott seemed very convincing he was going. Wonder if it had to do with Weather situation last night. Weather was brutal in mid west. Have to think lots of flights cancelled etc
Very true, that’s a good point.. I actually just watched the press conference and he mentioned that Peterson was wrestling today multiple times so the weather impact would make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT