ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

How can I watch the midlands?

Interesting that Goodale mentioned Shawver in the presser. He was definitely hobbled after his win, wonder if his status for the tournament is in question

How can I watch the midlands?

Interesting that Goodale mentioned Shawver in the presser. He was definitely hobbled after his win, wonder if his status for the tournament is in question
Heard the same thing. Hoped I was reading into it too much.

Hopefully this is precautionary and not due to COVID issues within the club/program.

I'd guess it's precautionary to limit increased exposure chances, as they don't want outsiders in the room potentially getting college coaches and wrestlers sick or resulting in a + test. Everything will tighten up. Tons of HS programs have shutdown unofficially or officially over the past week or 2, and even before then, many had issues. I unfortunately could see a bunch of HS stuff being canceled the next 2 weeks.

Reactions: mikemessner
Sucks that he is wasting a year but the surgery will be for the best and I’m assuming he is a lock for a medical redshirt.

Suriano is probably the odds on favorite now
Lee should have had surgery each of the last 5 years but wanted to be a tough guy warrior hardo. I highly doubt it’s a coincidence that this is the year he opts out and Nick Suriano happens to be back at 125.

So is it safe to assume Sammy is done for the year? Unless he went up to 49, which I can’t see, we’d have to assume as much, right?

Lee should have had surgery each of the last 5 years but wanted to be a tough guy warrior hardo. I highly doubt it’s a coincidence that this is the year he opts out and Nick Suriano happens to be back at 125.
You think Lee is ducking Suriano? Really? Up until this year, Lee has had at least one good ACL. If he wrestled this year, he would be wrestling on 0.

3x NCAA, US NC, 2x Jr World Champion, Cadet WC afraid of a 1xer. I've seen some hot takes, but man.

You think Lee is ducking Suriano? Really? Up until this year, Lee has had at least one good ACL. If he wrestled this year, he would be wrestling on 0.

3x NCAA, US NC, 2x Jr World Champion, Cadet WC afraid of a 1xer. I've seen some hot takes, but man.
Ducking isn’t really the right word. I don’t think he’s necessarily afraid of Suriano but I think he sees next year as the path of way less resistance.

Im sure his knee issues are legitimate, but I’m over his whole warrior act. He should have had surgery after high school but he wanted to be a hero. Now he deals with it for 4 relatively easy years where no one was really going to challenge him outside of Suriano his freshman year, and to his credit he won. But since then it’s been guys like Mueller and Glory who aren’t in the same class. Rivera seemed to have his number but never got to him in nationals. Now Suriano, who is a legit threat to his 4 peat comes back and he taps out knowing the easy path is there again next year. Would be a strange coincidence for a spartan like Lee to suddenly not be able to handle his knee issues.

And let’s be real. Calling Suriano a 1x-er is misleading. He’s a 2x-er if Penn State doesn’t stop him his freshman year, and then the only separation between him and Lee in the title race is the head to head matchup that Lee won fair and square.

I think the correct wording should Janeen Lee did not want to wrestle Suriano with defective ACL

Ducking isn’t really the right word. I don’t think he’s necessarily afraid of Suriano but I think he sees next year as the path of way less resistance.

Im sure his knee issues are legitimate, but I’m over his whole warrior act. He should have had surgery after high school but he wanted to be a hero. Now he deals with it for 4 relatively easy years where no one was really going to challenge him outside of Suriano his freshman year, and to his credit he won. But since then it’s been guys like Mueller and Glory who aren’t in the same class. Rivera seemed to have his number but never got to him in nationals. Now Suriano, who is a legit threat to his 4 peat comes back and he taps out knowing the easy path is there again next year. Would be a strange coincidence for a spartan like Lee to suddenly not be able to handle his knee issues.

And let’s be real. Calling Suriano a 1x-er is misleading. He’s a 2x-er if Penn State doesn’t stop him his freshman year, and then the only separation between him and Lee in the title race is the head to head matchup that Lee won fair and square.
Listening to his interviews since the announcement, sounds like Lee was in some pretty bad pain before, during, and after every practice and competition this year. And, he didn't look like the same wrestler, either, against some kids he should have beaten worse than he did. I don't blame him for not wanting to endure that, no matter the competitive situation.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I don’t blame him for having it done. I would just love to see Nicky and him both wrestle at their best. Remember when they wrestled in the finals Nick had been sick in the hospital with that bad infection

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don’t blame him for having it done. I would just love to see Nicky and him both wrestle at their best. Remember when they wrestled in the finals Nick had been sick in the hospital with that bad infection
100% with you here. Injuries suck for the wrestlers and the fans.

Idk I don’t think it’s in Lee to duck anyone. NS tightens up in big matches and doesn’t like to be pressured I don’t think he beats Lee and I think glory has a shot to beat him.

I agree. I don't think anyone can beat Nick this year. Now anything can happen in March, but he's too dominant in folkstyle for either Vito or Glory.
He just needs to maintain his weight and him/dad need to stay in the good graces of the Michigan team/coaches for a few months. That seems possible.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Joey Olivieri will be Rutgers’ 133-pounder the rest of the way.

The three-time Hanover Park state champion will stay in the lineup after burning his redshirt last weekend, coach Scott Goodale told NJ Advance Media. Olivieri made his debut in last Sunday’s loss at Wisconsin after previous starter Sammy Alvarez’s weight cut was deemed unsustainable.

Alvarez is healthy and will be the swing guy behind 141-pounder Sebastian Rivera and 149-pounder Mike VanBrill. The St. Joseph of Montvale state champion projects as the Scarlet Knights’ 141-pounder next season after Rivera exhausts his eligibility, but he could eventually grow into a 149-pounder.

Maybe we see Sammy tomorrow at 141 and let Seabass concentrate on Nick Lee Sunday?

“He’s still on our team. He’s going to wrestle,” Goodale said. “Depending on what happens with Seb and Mikey, that’s his role right now. The weight, it just wore on him. I’ve got to protect the student-athlete. It’s too much. ... It’s a bump in the road. In three months, he’s our guy.”

“He’s still on our team. He’s going to wrestle,” Goodale said. “Depending on what happens with Seb and Mikey, that’s his role right now. The weight, it just wore on him. I’ve got to protect the student-athlete. It’s too much. ... It’s a bump in the road. In three months, he’s our guy.”
Wonder if that means this offseason. Would really be a shame if they can’t find a spot for him in the big 10 tournament.

Wonder if that means this offseason. Would really be a shame if they can’t find a spot for him in the big 10 tournament.
Where exactly would that be? 133 door closed and obviously Sebastian at 141. Only chance would be big weight class step up mid year to 149. Seems highly unlikely that he would be the one to go at 149 in 2 months.
Coach said 3 months and clearly that means after this season, Sammy will dictate whether he moves forward at 141 or 149.

Where exactly would that be? 133 door closed and obviously Sebastian at 141. Only chance would be big weight class step up mid year to 149. Seems highly unlikely that he would be the one to go at 149 in 2 months.
Coach said 3 months and clearly that means after this season, Sammy will dictate whether he moves forward at 141 or 149.
Don’t know. Think he deserves a shot to battle with MVB for a spot at the very least. This team is really good on paper but there’s too many guys wrestling at a weight class they probably shouldn’t be at. Alvarez is clearly better suited at 141 or 149. Rivera has looked great but he’s probably got a better shot at a title at 133. Kannaird belongs at 165.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT