ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 season discussion thread

I wonder if Benner will be competing for job at 165. I seem to recall him having a pretty strong HS resume.

I wonder if Benner will be competing for job at 165. I seem to recall him having a pretty strong HS resume.
Was he a 1x state champ? That’s a strong HS resume but when competing in d1 big ten up against competition that’s been multiple time champ and nationally ranked that’s not a gtd to crack the lineup.

Was he a 1x state champ? That’s a strong HS resume but when competing in d1 big ten up against competition that’s been multiple time champ and nationally ranked that’s not a gtd to crack the lineup.
Its all relative. I’m talking 165, which is our weakest weight class. And yes, Benner was a 1x champion, but he was also a 2x finalist, which included a finals win over Angelo and a semi finals win over Arigona, both of who should be competing for a starting spot on the roster tgis year. He was also nationally ranked in his weight class coming out of HS.
Never said guaranteed. My question was, is he in the mix to start at the teams weakest spot.

I think we would have heard more about Benner if he was in contention. Clark has been the name at 165 but I don't recall hearing or reading much about his progress either. I've been hoping O'Neill would make the cut; he isn't going to break in at 174 or above.

Reactions: Leonard23
Yeah, that seems about right to me as well. Regarding ONeil, I heard from a very good source that he can’t make the cut. Things obviously can change, but it sounds unlikely.

Wrestle-offs coming up in a few days if I heard that right. How many and who are injured at this point? We know about Raimo, someone recently said Peterson, and there was a comment about maybe Turley.

Wrestle-offs coming up in a few days if I heard that right. How many and who are injured at this point? We know about Raimo, someone recently said Peterson, and there was a comment about maybe Turley.
We'll more than likely find out about the match-ups tomorrow. They usually put out an article with the match-ups a day or two before the event, so that will give us a good indication of people's health and status.

I saw on Track that MVB certified at 157, so that leaves only Rivera and Raimo would haven't certified yet.

Goodale said Raimo will be out for a while and that Peterson and Janzer probably won't be ready to compete on the 7th either, but everyone else is a go

and it looks like there will be extra matches during B1G duals. The coaches discussed it and agreed there be around 3-4 per match rather than the 8-10 that happened last year at times but the good news is that it looks like they will still happen unless they run into any administration issues.

Reactions: njsportsphan
So, no details on Raimo? I hope it doesn't turn into something like Vulakh, who never really got to wrestle. Is Janzer a weight issue or injury?

No details about anyone as they typically don't disclose a ton.

Might have a better chance getting some info from someone like @Lex Knapp around the severity of the injury. It doesn't sound like it would be a potential career ending type of thing, but since there is a log jam this year with Sammy\Rivera at 133\141, there is no point in rushing him back especially if he hasn't been training\wrestling.

Sounds like Andrew Clark has seized the 165 spot with Benner being his backup even if Benner is more of a 157-pounder.
That’s been the working assumption, but other than that, what are you basing this on? Was something reported?

Both OSU and Maryland have their intra-squad/wrestle-offs being broadcasted live on BTN+ right now.

I dont see anything on the schedule for RU for Saturday, but I might be missing something. If not, that’s a big missed opportunity even if Goody isn’t big on them. More exposure.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s that anything is a secret, it’s just not high on the staffs priority list since they don’t put much value in the wrestle offs.

While I get that from the teams evaluation standpoint, it seems like a missed opportunity to not publicize it more or have it on available online somewhere like many schools do. People are looking for engagement as the season kicks off and it seems like the program could do more to engage the fan base as early as possible.

I wouldn’t expect much in terms of updates either as this is what we got for the first match.

A little shocked that Esposito only beat Colucci by 1
They’re both pretty much the same age and although Esposito has more experience, he’s not exactly a big scoring heavyweight. Probably did just enough to get by.

I don’t think it’s that anything is a secret, it’s just not high on the staffs priority list since they don’t put much value in the wrestle offs.

While I get that from the teams evaluation standpoint, it seems like a missed opportunity to not publicize it more or have it on available online somewhere like many schools do. People are looking for engagement as the season kicks off and it seems like the program could do more to engage the fan base as early as possible.

I wouldn’t expect much in terms of updates either as this is what we got for the first match.

No, not a secret but maybe sometimes. Plenty of missed opportunities to get fans engaged. I've written about that before. Information leads to discussion and that engages people. It wouldn't be difficult to find an enthusiastic follower to attend practices and events like the wrestle-offs and report back to the fans. I would like to be more informed of wrestlers' individual progress instead of having to continually ask about wrestlers who haven't been mentioned in months - or even a year. Even simple things like keeping the team roster up to date would help. Goodale mentioned in his pre-season video that he'd feel better if the season tickets were more, then acknowledged that they need to do a better job of engaging fans. Yup, and it isn't that hard to do.

Totally agree with you here. Missed opportunity. Gotta be more creative/think outside the box. Instead of having an open practice earlier, create an inside RU wrestling day that includes scheduled 15 min APC tours, the wrestle-offs and a q and a between coaches, wrestlers and fans and maybe a buffet lunch. Price of admission is the season tix price as tix or a donation. Free to season tix holders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT