ADVERTISEMENT

35-14 a little better than 78-0. Improvement is what we wanted to see and we're seeing it.

There has been obvious improvement in several areas, including but not limited to coaching.

There will be plateaus and dips in the progress, both in performance on game day and in recruiting. And this will surely keep some of our negative fans happy. But the overall trend seems positive at the moment.

We still have a long way to go, but at least we seem to be moving in the right direction. A few years of coaching continuity can only help both the current players and recruiting. Having the same OC for a few years running would not only be great, but would be unusual for this team looking back a bunch of years.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yes, I feel the same way. I was 1) against the hiring of Julie from the START, 2) against the hiring of Flood from the START of his head coaching tenure, and 3) against the hiring of Ash from the START. And--yes, I'm a die-hard Rutgers fan. I am not changing my opinion. You have your opinion. I have mine. I am not an Ash supporter. I really wanted Babers to be our coach. Yes, you can be a Rutgers fan yet believe that the coaches hired here are incompetent.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Are we going to pretend that Michigan isn't drastically worse than they were last year? Are we going to pretend that Michigan didn't get the doors blown off them a week before by Ohio State? Are we going to pretend that Michigan hasn't beat ANYBODY by more than 25 points this year? Are we going to pretend that Michigan played a RS Freshman QB and rushed for 300 yards on us. Tell yourself whatever you want to feel better but the Michigan team we played wasn't that good. We faired about as well as Air Force and Cincinatti.

Are we going to pretend that Michigan isn't drastically worse than they were last year? Are we going to pretend that Michigan didn't get the doors blown off them a week before by Ohio State? Are we going to pretend that Michigan hasn't beat ANYBODY by more than 25 points this year? Are we going to pretend that Michigan played a RS Freshman QB and rushed for 300 yards on us. Tell yourself whatever you want to feel better but the Michigan team we played wasn't that good. We faired about as well as Air Force and Cincinatti.

Well that is better than most of us expected this year.

I saw this game and Rutgers is still pretty bad. They just don't have the players. We are still very weak on both lines to scare any Tier 2 teams in the BIG.

We have to play close games for us to say we are improving. Michigan had a freshman QB and still manhandled our defense.

We lack speed, strength, size and toughness. We are at best an average Tier 3 team in the BIG.

Since when is 10-14, 104, 1 TD "manhandling" a defense? Stop. Where we got "manhandled" was at the LOS by their OL and running game to the tune of 344 yards. SMDH.

Reactions: BlockR and shields
I disagree with about everything you have said over the year, Are You Nuts. I am a die hard fan, season ticket holder for decades just as I'm sure you are...it is just amazing that two Rutgers fans--you and I-have disagreed about just about EVERYTHING about Rutgers football. The best thing I can say is we agree to disagree. You have been largely satisfied with Rutgers football over the years. I've been largely dissatisfied. We are just completely different Rutgers fans. But Rutgers fans.

LOL all good BUT where were you when I was calling out Kyle Flood's on and off field issues for nearly 3 years and getting shouted down by, at first, 2/3rd of the board? To the point where, getting into arguments for speaking the truth - speaking realistically - I got banned for 9 months?

I see the exact opposite so far under Ash, that I saw under Flood, DESPITE him taking his first 3 teams to bowl games and THAT is a good thing IMHO.

[cheers]

Reactions: shields

Well at least you don't have to pretend you don't know shit about football. Or spelling.

Well at least you don't have to pretend you don't know shit about football. Or spelling.

Please tell me what I said that's not true? You're honestly going to tell me that Michigan this year is as good as Michigan last year?

Please tell me what I said that's not true? You're honestly going to tell me that Michigan this year is as good as Michigan last year?

No, I don't think they're quite as good as last year, but they're not "drastically" worse than last year - they're still 6-2 and likely to finish 8-4 or 9-3 vs. 10-2 last year. And if they hadn't lost their starting QB, I'm sure they would've done better against MSU and PSU (they didn't play OSU yet).

Are you telling me you don't think Michigan still has a lot more talent than RU and that RU didn't play much better against them than we did last year? Do you really not think we're an improved team with 2 B1G wins this year vs. none last year? That's the only point most of us are making and most of us think going from 78-0 to 35-14 (and a game still in some doubt until the 4Q) is just another sign of that improvement. Yes, a long way to go still, but demonstrably better. Do you agree or not?

No, I don't think they're quite as good as last year, but they're not "drastically" worse than last year - they're still 6-2 and likely to finish 8-4 or 9-3 vs. 10-2 last year. And if they hadn't lost their starting QB, I'm sure they would've done better against MSU and PSU (they didn't play OSU yet).

Are you telling me you don't think Michigan still has a lot more talent than RU and that RU didn't play much better against them than we did last year? Do you really not think we're an improved team with 2 B1G wins this year vs. none last year? That's the only point most of us are making and most of us think going from 78-0 to 35-14 (and a game still in some doubt until the 4Q) is just another sign of that improvement. Yes, a long way to go still, but demonstrably better. Do you agree or not?

There was a 0% chance that Michigan team was beating anybody by 78 points this year. That's such a ridiculously low barometer that it's absurd. Michigan scored 40 points or more zero times this year. Their offense isn't good. They scored 40+ points six times last year. They beat Penn State and almost beat Ohio State last year. This Michigan team is going to get slaughtered by Ohio State. And of course Michigan has more talent than RU. But we didn't play the same Michigan team that we did last year. Keep pretending that Michigan didn't lose 11 players to the NFL draft. We played better but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Like at all. Michigan's offense is almost as horrible as ours. We shouldn't pat ourself on the back for doing thing that Cincinnati and Air Force did against Michigan. They aren't Ohio State. Let's see how we do against Penn State.

The Michigan team we played was #4 in the Country when we played them and finished top 10. The 2017 Michigan team isn't a top 10 team. No chance in hell they finish in the top 10. Keep drinking your Rutgersal Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
You're right Chuck. We suck and should just tank the rest of the season in hopes we don't falsely give anyone hope we'll ever get better. Wouldn't want any decent recruits to give Coach Ash a chance, right?

I don't know what team you're a fan of, but I'm hoping you crawl back to their board before you catch a banhammer and have to wade onto Tor to create another username with a different IP.

Well let's run the reverse on that. Do you not see a big improvement from Rutgers last year to this year?

Also, from watching one game, I think I can say with confidence, that Michigan's main issue this season is QB play. O'Korn is clearly not that good, his #'s in their 2 losses, like his #'s vs Rutgers are dreadful, and I'm thinking Speight is not that good either, but put in a talented player at that position and the team looks dramatically different.

So factor that into the lackluster results Michigan has had this season. They are still a very talented team, and we saw their best version.

Will be interesting to see if they go with Peters the rest of this season. How could they not?

Well let's run the reverse on that. Do you not see a big improvement from Rutgers last year to this year?

Also, from watching one game, I think I can say with confidence, that Michigan's main issue this season is QB play. O'Korn is clearly not that good, his #'s in their 2 losses, like his #'s vs Rutgers are dreadful, and I'm thinking Speight is not that good either, but put in a talented player at that position and the team looks dramatically different.

So factor that into the lackluster results Michigan has had this season. They are still a very talented team, and we saw their best version.

Will be interesting to see if they go with Peters the rest of this season. How could they not?

Michigan is more talented than us. They are not a bad team. But they aren’t as good as they were last year. It’s a little disingenuous to say they didn’t score 78 points on us this year so we can conclude the only explanation is we got better and not that Michigan got worse. Michigan hasn’t scored 40 points on anyone this year. We are clearly better. That’s obvious. But the constant patting ourself on the back after double digit losses is ridiculous.

I really wanted Babers to be our coach.

Babers walked into a much easier coaching job than Ash. Had Babers been hired here to clean up Flud's mess while playing in the best Division in college football he wouldn't have done any better. Ash has made some mistakes for sure but we're seeing progress and I expect better going forward.

Michigan is more talented than us. They are not a bad team. But they aren’t as good as they were last year. It’s a little disingenuous to say they didn’t score 78 points on us this year so we can conclude the only explanation is we got better and not that Michigan got worse. Michigan hasn’t scored 40 points on anyone this year. We are clearly better. That’s obvious. But the constant patting ourself on the back after double digit losses is ridiculous.
1)Agree, we are clearly better and that is the point.

2)I always go back to the "that's what these message boards are made for" argument. If you take out the redundant posts there is very little going on. Who wants that? So whether it's a million posts praising Ash or the path we are on, or clobbering Ash and the path we are on, I'm all for it. Now the incessant OT posts? That's another matter.

Edit:

3) I again go back to QB play. Most likely Michigan has 1 loss this season if Peters had played at time of Speight injury. Also likely the score vs PSU is not as bad. So again, I'm not sure Michigan is much less talented team then last year, especially in the games that we played them.

This is an offensivley challenged Michigan squad this year.RU went with five down lineman and Michigan sill torched them on the ground to the tune of over 340 yards. If they had a better passing QB,it could have been a 50 plus score .
Ru was better due to the offense keeping the defense off the field for a longer time period.

1)Agree, we are clearly better and that is the point.

2)I always go back to the "that's what these message boards are made for" argument. If you take out the redundant posts there is very little going on. Who wants that? So whether it's a million posts praising Ash or the path we are on, or clobbering Ash and the path we are on, I'm all for it. Now the incessant OT posts? That's another matter.

Edit:

3) I again go back to QB play. Most likely Michigan has 1 loss this season if Peters had played at time of Speight injury. Also likely the score vs PSU is not as bad. So again, I'm not sure Michigan is much less talented team then last year, especially in the games that we played them.

Peters didn’t do much. He had 124 yards and he threw mostly 5 yard passes. We had zero pass rush and he had all day to throw. He threw maybe three really good balls. But we didn’t lose because of Peters. They ran for 300 yards!

Reactions: BlockR

Michigan gets stocked with top 5 to top 10 classes year in and year out. Sure, the defense was basically replaced. Do you think there are a bunch of 2 star talents who filled in this year? Freshman QB or not. He played solid and had gobs of time to make his throws. You can't accept progress, can you?

Chuck won't give you an answer..he is hanging his hat on the negatives.

There was a 0% chance that Michigan team was beating anybody by 78 points this year. That's such a ridiculously low barometer that it's absurd. Michigan scored 40 points or more zero times this year. Their offense isn't good. They scored 40+ points six times last year. They beat Penn State and almost beat Ohio State last year. This Michigan team is going to get slaughtered by Ohio State. And of course Michigan has more talent than RU. But we didn't play the same Michigan team that we did last year. Keep pretending that Michigan didn't lose 11 players to the NFL draft. We played better but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Like at all. Michigan's offense is almost as horrible as ours. We shouldn't pat ourself on the back for doing thing that Cincinnati and Air Force did against Michigan. They aren't Ohio State. Let's see how we do against Penn State.

The Michigan team we played was #4 in the Country when we played them and finished top 10. The 2017 Michigan team isn't a top 10 team. No chance in hell they finish in the top 10. Keep drinking your Rutgersal Kool-Aid.

Washington was a top 10 team in the country when we played them. Did they hang anywhere close to 78 on us? You can't accept progress, can you?

Peters didn’t do much. He had 124 yards and he threw mostly 5 yard passes. We had zero pass rush and he had all day to throw. He threw maybe three really good balls. But we didn’t lose because of Peters. They ran for 300 yards!

Why such a sour person?

Michigan gets stocked with top 5 to top 10 classes year in and year out. Sure, the defense was basically replaced. Do you think there are a bunch of 2 star talents who filled in this year? Freshman QB or not. He played solid and had gobs of time to make his throws. You can't accept progress, can you?

Chuck won't give you an answer..he is hanging his hat on the negatives.

Washington was a top 10 team in the country when we played them. Did they hang anywhere close to 78 on us? You can't accept progress, can you?

Why such a sour person?

Michigan wasn’t scoring 78 points on us. They haven’t scored 40 on anyone. They are not as good as they were last year. Why can’t you see that?

Compare his #'s to O'Korn. Huge difference. So even if Peters was merely decent it was a significant upgrade over O'Korn's dreadful.

Maybe because we had to back off and respect his passing ability? O'Korn threw a pick early and was uncomfortable in the pocket.

Michigan wasn’t scoring 78 points on us. They haven’t scored 40 on anyone. They are not as good as they were last year. Why can’t you see that?
but even if we accept that premise we can still accept op's conclusion.

Reactions: mildone
Maybe because we had to back off and respect his passing ability? O'Korn threw a pick early and was uncomfortable in the pocket.
O'Korn's been dreadful since he stepped into the position. If Harbaugh had went Peters at the time of Speight's injury it's very possible Michigan would currently be sitting in the top 10.

Last year we averaged 12.36 points per game (not counting the 1AA blowout)
Going into Michigan, we were averaging 20.6 points per game (not counting the 1AA blowout)

Michigan...
Averaged 39.27 points per game last year (not counting the Hawaii blowout)
Going into our game, they were averaging 24.5 points per game (not counting the Air Force game)

So Michigan is around 14 points worse last year than this year, Rutgers was 6 points better than they were last year.

Our average PPG went down after Michigan and theirs has since gone up, obviously.

Last edited:

Stop it. We didn’t back off. Our line got manhandled. OKorn was Laviano but Peters didn’t do anything great.

Last year we averaged 12.36 points per game (not counting the 1AA blowout)
Going into Michigan, we were averaging 20.6 points per game (not counting the 1AA blowout)

We were the worst team I’ve seen in my entire life last year. That’s a low bar.

Weren't around for 1-11 in the Big East? Or the o-fers some other coaches have submitted? You're a troll. I'm sure of it. Do you post on the NJ.com message boards a lot?

Stop it. We didn’t back off. Our line got manhandled. OKorn was Laviano but Peters didn’t do anything great.
He didn't fumble any snaps or throw any picks, and didn't make any ill-advised runs when the pocket started fracturing.

So what's your point exactly? Is it only that Michigan is not as good as last year?
No, but he was good. Certainly efficient completing 10 of 14. Michigan was better with him in the game.

Weren't around for 1-11 in the Big East? Or the o-fers some other coaches have submitted? You're a troll. I'm sure of it. Do you post on the NJ.com message boards a lot?

I’m a troll because I don’t celebrate 21 point losses? Okay.

Reactions: BlockR
So what's your point exactly? Is it only that Michigan is not as good as last year?

No, but he was good. Certainly efficient completing 10 of 14. Michigan was better with him in the game.

My point is comparing the Michigan game last year isn’t a good comparison because they are worse. If we played the Michigan team from last year they would beat us like Ohio State.

He didn't fumble any snaps or throw any picks, and didn't make any ill-advised runs when the pocket started fracturing.

He was okay maybe even good. But they still ran for 300 yards!!!

My point is comparing the Michigan game last year isn’t a good comparison because they are worse. If we played the Michigan team from last year they would beat us like Ohio State.
I already compared season averages. Do you have a comment on that?

I already compared season averages. Do you have a comment on that?

We got better, they got worse. I already said that 500 times. The averages aren’t exact as Rutgers and Michigan played different teams and have different strengths of schedule. Illinois is a lot worse than they were last year. Starting Freshman and walk ons. And Iowa is better than Purdue.

If you had made this reasonable post instead of your ridiculous initial post, below, where you gave RU zero credit for improvement this year or against UM, we wouldn't be arguing. I think everyone agrees this year's UM isn't as good as last year's (but they ain't no Indiana or Rutgers either), but I also think most people see an improvement in RU, which was the whole point of the thread.

The anti-Ash posters are REALLY starting to show their ignorance AND/OR pure dislike for him and this staff. That's all.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT