ADVERTISEMENT

46 years ago today...

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
What a looooooonnnnnnnnnggggg strange trip it's been.

24132029_10213083290369989_3905152529339997240_o.jpg

Last edited:
I was at that game and have that game program. The first game that I saw at the RAC was a week or 2 before that Rutgers game - a Nets exhibition game vs. the Indiana Pacers. The floor you see in the picture is a wood floor on top of a cement slab. There is no way a NBA game would be played on that type of floor today. It was rock hard and there is no agent that would let his client / player take that kind of abuse on his legs. Imagine that the Nets played 2 or 3 seasons of home games on that surface.

When Bob Wenzel was the coach they put a portable court on top of that floor which made things much better for the players. Over the years there have been several improvements to the floor and today we have a state of the art floor in the RAC.

The first game that I saw at the RAC was a week or 2 before that Rutgers game - a Nets exhibition game vs. the Indiana Pacers... Imagine that the Nets played 2 or 3 seasons of home games on that surface.
That Nets-Pacers exhibition was in mid-Oct. 1977. The Nets' first regular season NBA game in NJ was 10/21/77 at the RAC. I attended that game. Maravich torched the Nets for 41 points that night. The Nets played four seasons at the RAC (1977-1981). I've always liked this photo of Pistol Pete at the RAC. It's amazing how many great players have graced the court at the RAC over the years.

guard-pistol-pete-maravich-of-the-new-orleans-jazz-jumps-for-a-lay-up-picture-id56401788

I was there as well and I am quite certain I still have that program. After a while I had so many that some I only saved the cover from but this one I believe I still have.

Mike

I have this program and was there as well

Did you go to the exhibition game before that between Rutgers vs U.S.S.R.? (Soviet national team)

Shack, I didn't attend the U.S.S.R. exhibition. In fact, I didn't attend a Rutgers game at the RAC until we hosted St. Peter's in the semifinals of the Jersey Classic on 12/27/77. The following night, we beat Seton Hall again for the tournament title.

I think the first ever event was a Nets-Celtics pre-season game. Not sure of the date, but I was there for that and that Seton Hall game.

Interesting tidbit regarding the RAC:

If you're wondering what event has drawn the most fans into the building since its opening in 1977, you can read about it in the link below. I remember speaking with Charlie Theokas, the former Nets GM. He said, paraphrasing, "We (the Nets) oversold the game. Everyone wanted to be there to see John Havlicek one last time before he retired. The announced attendance was the official capacity (9,050), but the actual attendance was well over 10,000. It was a total gaffe on our part. Let's just say we were glad the fire marshal didn't attend that game."

http://www.nytimes.com/1978/02/27/archives/basketball-nets-lose-to-celtics-didnt-give-us-room.html

I was in section 106 row 5 for about the first 5 years in the RAC and yes I was at that first college game. I did attend a Nets game before that but I don't think it was the
first to be played at the RAC. It's been one hell of a ride.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I was at that game and have that game program. The first game that I saw at the RAC was a week or 2 before that Rutgers game - a Nets exhibition game vs. the Indiana Pacers. The floor you see in the picture is a wood floor on top of a cement slab. There is no way a NBA game would be played on that type of floor today. It was rock hard and there is no agent that would let his client / player take that kind of abuse on his legs. Imagine that the Nets played 2 or 3 seasons of home games on that surface.

When Bob Wenzel was the coach they put a portable court on top of that floor which made things much better for the players. Over the years there have been several improvements to the floor and today we have a state of the art floor in the RAC.
Speaking of the floor. I worked concessions/usher for some Nets games when I was at Rutgers.
I remember prior to one game the floor was very slippery and unplayable. We were asked to get on our hands and knees and wipe the floor down. The things you do for money in college.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Damn, look how close the student section is to the baseline.

@AreYouNUTS
YESSSSS!!!! So many posters DO NOT believe it when I bring this up!!! Moved back so the cheer/dance teams had enough space for each member to set up a camp site. THANK GOD Pat Hobss is aware of this and the plans are to MOVE THE STUDENT SECTION BACK closer to the baseline!!

I remember RU beating the Soviet Union national team. I recall that they shut down their star (Belov?) but a guy named Korkia played very well for them. The Soviet Union team had just lost to St. John’s as well, but the Soviet coach was kind enough to say that RU was a better team than St. John’s.

I sat right behind the SHU bench for the game mentioned above. I got to see Bill Rafferty work the officials from the very first seconds of the game, and it was incredible. The very first time a whistle blew, he screamed at the top of his lungs “my guys have just as much a right to win this game as theirs.“ And he never let up after.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Mike

I have this program and was there as well

Did you go to the exhibition game before that between Rutgers vs U.S.S.R.? (Soviet national team)
Went to the Russian game and the SHU
game
The Russian game was the only time I had seats in the 100’s

As do I. One of my favorite memories was insisting that Rutgers' honor the waiting lines for Syracuse tickets (looie and Booie) on the first day that Rutgers ever closed due to snow. I walked from Birchwood Terrace, about an hour in those conditions and my girl friend was at Douglass. We both were first in line. And got our tickets.

also Jabbar autographing a wedding dress at a wedding I was at at the days inn South Plainfield when the Lakers were in town.

I was at all those games

Lot of memories in the RAC early years beteeen RU and the nets

Those nets teams were fun …even thought not great

Bernard king
Super John Williamson
Fast Eddie Jordan
Mike Newlin
Mike Gminski and Mike O’Koren

And of course for RU it was the ABC front line …beating at John’s and Syracuse in first year there

Beating the Louie and Bowie show was great even though baikey had foul trouble ….

I remember RU beating the Soviet Union national team. I recall that they shut down their star (Belov?) but a guy named Korkia played very well for them. The Soviet Union team had just lost to St. John’s as well, but the Soviet coach was kind enough to say that RU was a better team than St. John’s.

I sat right behind the SHU bench for the game mentioned above. I got to see Bill Rafferty work the officials from the very first seconds of the game, and it was incredible. The very first time a whistle blew, he screamed at the top of his lungs “my guys have just as much a right to win this game as theirs.“ And he never let up after.
Forgot about that one! Thanks!

RAC opened my sophomore year. Still has the same amount and same bathrooms as 46 years ago........LOL

Best of Luck,
Groz
Do people use the bathroom more than they did 46 yrs ago....nvmd lol. Young people nowadays can't go 10min without sipping from their hydroflask.

One of the refs was brought in by the Russians, and he tried to call some stuff against RU that just was wrong...the other refs got together and overruled one of his calls.... something you normally don't see happen

Always thought the USSR game was the first one; somehow had tickets behind our bench. Maybe they let students sit in that section back then. Some of you remember stuff during that game more than I do; just remember what happened during our national anthem.

Man I feel old. I remember the excitement as a senior in high school in Central Jersey about this shiny new arena that was opening up on the Rutgers campus. I remember Brad Underwood doing an interview last year talking about the RAC. One of his comments was "the place is old as hell"

Always thought the USSR game was the first one; somehow had tickets behind our bench. Maybe they let students sit in that section back then. Some of you remember stuff during that game more than I do; just remember what happened during our national anthem.
Students could sit behind the bench back then. I was right behind the SHU bench. I am trying to remember if that was the game where SHU sat where the home team usually sits. I will never forget what a wild man Raftery was up close though.

Wasn’t it Tom Young who caught a lot of heat because he didn’t want to give up a practice at the RAC for a potential Springsteen Concert?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT