ADVERTISEMENT

A few little non conseqential tidbits about the St Johns Game....

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
1. Fred Hill Jr was at the game. Sitting courtside by center court. WTF? How does this clown get courtside seats and furthermore gets hugged by Hobbs at halftime. I get the Seton Hall connection but give me a break with this clown of a HC / Character who tried his best to ruin RU BB. If FHJ wants seats, put him in the 300's.

2. Pikiell was pissed after the game. You can see it emotionally on his face as he walked off the court.. I don't blame him.

3. Kiss looked like he had a cut (gash) above his left eye which did not occur during the game as I noticed it in warmups.

4. Thought I saw Paul Mulcahy at the game sitting behind the RU bench.

1. That takes balls.
2. Wasn't happy with the effort during post press conf.
3. You got good eyes Phil.
4.I've seen him before at games. Nice to see.

to be fair to Tim, the BOG wouldnt let him fire him...of course until a month later Tim was able to engineer a trap for Freddie and they still payed him almost all his money

Pretty sure Gary Waters didn't want him, nor have a say in his hiring. Don't think Pernetti wanted to keep him either. I think the original Hill hiring, promotion to head coach, and extension, are wholly on Mulcahy.

Gary didn’t want him? Prove it.
Everything I read and saw at the time said it was Gary’s idea and he was on board with it. Are you saying the news media screwed up?
I may be wrong, so please post a link, quote or tidbit about Gary not wanting him. Otherwise we can only go by what was fact.

Last edited:
Could the Fred Hill Jr. seat belong to Fred Hill Sr.?

BTW.. he did not work out here.. but EVERYONE here thought it was a good idea. EVERYONE here tabbed him as a top recruiter.

I still wonder whether Mulcahy let Jay Wright off the hook in coming here because Nova was his dream job (and Mulcahy was a Nova grad). Heck.. I wonder if Mulcahy SUGGESTED Wright to Nova people... do his alma mater a solid.

I remember we all thought Jay Wright was ours.. and then.. he's not. The rest is history.

to be fair to Tim, the BOG wouldnt let him fire him...of course until a month later Tim was able to engineer a trap for Freddie and they still payed him almost all his money
Oh, come on. The BOG is not telling Pernetti (or Hobbs) that he can't fire an underperforming coach. What they are doing is telling the AD that he has to manage his budget. Sure, paying a fired coach a full buyout makes it tougher to manage a budget, but it still shouldn't be a herculean task. Pernetti always had the option to fire Hill for underperforming, just like Hobbs has that option with Ash.

What trap? This sounds ridiculous. BOG wont fire a coach for incompetence, but let’s AD set a trap?

Could the Fred Hill Jr. seat belong to Fred Hill Sr.?

BTW.. he did not work out here.. but EVERYONE here thought it was a good idea. EVERYONE here tabbed him as a top recruiter.

I still wonder whether Mulcahy let Jay Wright off the hook in coming here because Nova was his dream job (and Mulcahy was a Nova grad). Heck.. I wonder if Mulcahy SUGGESTED Wright to Nova people... do his alma mater a solid.

I remember we all thought Jay Wright was ours.. and then.. he's not. The rest is history.

no everyone did not think it was a good idea...hardly

no everyone did not think it was a good idea...hardly

I didn’t know much about him at the time but, No, nearly everyone did. We couldn’t get over the hump in recruiting yet Waters had the team playing tough ball. He was suppose to be the answer.

Hill did a lousy job and Pernetti was able to can him by coming up with the most convenient "insubordination" excuse of all time. His father is royalty at Rutgers and, to me, Hill's tenure is ancient history at this point. If Hill feels comfortable coming back, I think everyone should let bygones be bygones. We've certainly had more disastrous head coaching tenures around here.

Hill was known as an ace East Coast (i.e. NOT Midwest) recruiter so bringing him on staff as an assistant made sense. Making him the head coach was absolutely NOT a no-brainer so if that's the argument that's not accurate.

Last edited:
FHJ is a good guy and a good assistant coach. Just not a good head coach. I get to see him out socially once in a while at my friends parties and he is always fun to be around.

If we are talking about inconsequential tidbits from the game, the new video "enhancements" they were playing with is stupid. Superimposing horse's heads on the St. John's players while the shooting free throws was bush league. I thought it was funny when they showed a bunch of Knight mascots in the student section, but don't mock the opponent when you are getting thrashed.

Reactions: S_Janowski
I made sure I said hello to FHJ and Dennis Gregory at the game

Both are great guys and better human beings. In fact, FHJ was there for Quincy Douby last year as he was inducted into the RU Athletics HOF.

Despite the obvious failures of his time here, it's hard to deny that most basketball people in the area have a fondness for him. Obviously, it's also very easy to see why a RU basketball fan could feel differently though.

Bottom line for me...FHJ and his entire staff always treated JK and I most graciously. They will always have our respect!

Most thought Hill was a good recruiter.

If I remember correctly, RU fans were fearful that SHU was going to hire Hill as their head coach. RU was afraid of losing him and made the move to make him our head coach.

That is the way I remember it as well. I think too many people are being petty over FHJ being at the game. He was here and it didn't work out. Just let it be there are more important things in life to worry about.

Reactions: RUDead and RUDutch
Another thing to add.....Myles Johnson got pissed (in a controlled way) that he didn't get the ball in the paint. Baker saw this and gave him a pat.

I love that Johnson as a freshman wants the ball and can ask for it.

Regarding FHJ......9 months ago GSB game ends and FHJ and Pikiell were there. FHJ is on Mulcahy 60 seconds after the game ends as he is going off the court and in to the locker room. FHJ is our competition. He wants to stay relevant and we had recruits there. He is VERY relevant and special when he is sitting on the floor.

he banned him from returning to the BE baseball tourney game the next day and found him either hiding in the bushes or his car
I LOL'd at the description of him hiding in bushes. I truly hope that's how it happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT