ADVERTISEMENT

A high school player who chooses Alabama

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Think about how good the kid is just to get an offer, then think about a kid who loves the game, was rarely off the field being by far the best player on his high school team and in all likelihood will only play 1 of the next 5 years, if that.
I get it, our 03 could play there.
But think about how important he is to us....they’ve got 10 guys just like him

What need to be done, using Gus Edwards as an example, is to emphasize that the pros are paying serious attention to RU as well.

On the one hand, you have the "playing with the best" theory. But, can you really say that you are playing if you are not on the field?
It really shows the levels of college football. A few are just ridiculously good like Alabama and then you have the schools like OSU that are really good too but, as we saw last night, not in the same league.
This is why when I see posts talking about Rutgers becoming a NC, I just shake my head. We are lucky to even see a 5* consider us much less sign on.

Reactions: Jimpeg and RUJMM78
Madness.
You would think I’m being disrespectful by saying the 3rd deep at every position at Bama would play a meaningful, contributing roll at RU.
But I’m not.
Did you see the back up to Nijee Harris?
My Gosh!!!!

Reactions: beaced
To me it’s similar to uconn with women’s basketball. Regardless of the benefits of competing with “the best” every day in practice and the “superior“ coaching as reasons for choosing that program, a high level recruit must still be motivated to be part of a national championship team over actual playing time. Yet there still aren’t guarantees.

Our hope lies with getting some of the upper talent that is motivated to see the field, to make an early and long term contribution, and play. Some of these uconn/Alabama athletes are gambling with ever seeing meaningful playing time.

Gotta recruit the lunchpail types. Beat the best. Don't join em. Beat em.

Saban has won 6 championships in 12 years at Alabama. A player who commits and stays 4 years is going to be on 2 NC teams. The players who think that's important are likely to go there.

Reactions: Rokodesh and beaced
Saban has won 6 championships in 12 years at Alabama. A player who commits and stays 4 years is going to be on 2 NC teams. The players who think that's important are likely to go there.
As an ex high level athlete, the single greatest honor of my career was when my manager told me I was the starting shortstop and I was going to be in the lineup every day.
I would not have traded that for World Series Championship every year watching from the bench as a backup.
For me it was all about the fun of playing

As an ex high level athlete, the single greatest honor of my career was when my manager told me I was the starting shortstop and I was going to be in the lineup every day.
I would not have traded that for World Series Championship every year watching from the bench as a backup.

Similarly, as an underclassman being told by the HC of the varsity that I'm being moved up from JV to varsity and was going to see playing time that coming Saturday.

Each year the OL of Alabama is equal to or better than that of many NFL teams.

And that’s every year.
Definitely not true. Look at how many Bama O Linemen have even made it to the league over the past 10 years. I'd bet it not even 1/4 of them.
I understand KM's point...Their OL is loaded every year. But RH is the truth. The worst OL in the NFL is lightyears ahead of the Kids at Alabama in any given year.

Agree with this...And if you are a 4/5 star or good enough for the top team in the nation to come after you...Find a team that has the full support of the University and who has a bright future. You will make the next level if you are good enough AND if you play. I will bet there is more than 1 guy who has one or more of those 6 Rings that didn't get enough time on the field to showcase their skills, who may have been able to show they were an NFL talent if they got on the field for someone else.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Similarly, as an underclassman being told by the HC of the varsity that I'm being moved up from JV to varsity and was going to see playing time that coming Saturday.
The problem is that all these kids think they are going to be playing when they get there. They are also certain that they will get a chance to play for the NC.

Reactions: RU-05 and newell138
The problem is that all these kids think they are going to be playing when they get there. They are also certain that they will get a chance to play for the NC.
Don't disagree either...it is a very tough decision for a kid.

I always think of my Step Son...he came to Rutgers as a 2 star without much fanfare - I didn't have any clue of these sites and or the process. Going to guess that many on here back then did not figure him as a top starter, much less an NFL player.
He never had any doubt. So much so- I went in from Day 1 figuring he was only waiting his time to start. Never even a question in mind. In his mind- he was going to play in the NFL since the 8th grade. Never a doubt. His decision for being at Rutgers had nothing to do if he thought it may be an easier road to play.

I understand KM's point...Their OL is loaded every year. But RH is the truth. The worst OL in the NFL is lightyears ahead of the Kids at Alabama in any given year.

Perhaps one could say the the OL in the NFL are where the Alabama kids will be after 3-4 more years of experience and "strength & conditioning"

The talent discrepancy is unreal. Lotta factors go into kids decisions but remember they're not choosing between 'Bama and Rutgers. They're choosing between 'Bama, Georgia, Clemson, OSU, etc.

Plus with transfers becoming so easy now, there isn't really a downside to going to one of these schools because you can always transfer out is PT isn't coming to fruition (cough cough Fields).

Reactions: RU-05 and Phi_1055
In the days before the big money,players wanted to be traded to the Yankees because it almost guaranteed them a WS share,which in lesser player cases almost equalled their yearly salary.Today,the stars and many of the rest of the rosters are playing for less than their regular season rate.

I totally agree, but as underclassmen in that program it means jumping over guys, you gotta be in select company to do that.
They always seem to have 1 or 2 freshman start every year, imagine getting jumped like that if you’re in you 3rd year and a 4 star recruit

Perhaps one could say the the OL in the NFL are where the Alabama kids will be after 3-4 more years of experience and "strength & conditioning"
2-3 of the Bama kids will be. Big difference between elite school OL and the normal good college OL...all 5 starters would start just about everywhere in college. A good OL in college May have 2 NFL type guys and the other 3 no where close to them.

Reactions: koleszar and zappaa
2-3 of the Bama kids will be. Big difference between elite school OL and the normal good college OL...all 5 starters would start just about everywhere in college. A good OL in college May have 2 NFL type guys and the other 3 no where close to them.
I think they average around 330 led by a 6-7 360 pound tackle.
And they all can move and bend

Reactions: Rokodesh
Many of the players if you don't make the two deep in three years are gone, one way or the other. They simply recruit over the one's not making it and send them packing or medically retire them. They had 12 of those in one year.

Many of the players if you don't make the two deep in three years are gone, one way or the other. They simply recruit over the one's not making it and send them packing or medically retire them. They had 12 of those in one year.
I was thinking the same, their transfer ratio must be enormous.
To add insult to injury their QB returns and technically has 2 more years.

Both Bama and RU have 18 players listed as OL on the 2020 roster. total of 36 players. If you we to rank these players when would you rank the first RU OL? Would it be in the top 10?

Reactions: Jimpeg
JH was king of the medical retirement while at Stanford. Kids would agree to it with a scratch on their finger to stay in school on scholarship to get that education. For JH- allowed him to just clean out everyone not on the two deep as he wanted.

I was thinking the same, their transfer ratio must be enormous.
To add insult to injury their QB returns
You know how UConn women's basketball ruined the sport as a viewing pleasure, this current same 3 to 4 schools is doing the same for me with these playoffs. Through the entire playoffs I watched Alabama for a total of 3 qtrs.. I'm not sure who could view that as viewing pleasure besides Alabama fans.

It's not competitive football. I used to love the National Championship game. Different schools, maybe you get a small run from one school but then a new king. Now money has made the haves and have not divide too great, I don't really care who wins the National Title anymore.

You know how UConn women's basketball ruined the sport as a viewing pleasure, this current same 3 to 4 schools is doing the same for me with these playoffs. Through the entire playoffs I watched Alabama for a total of 3 qtrs.. I'm not sure who could view that as viewing pleasure besides Alabama fans.

It's not competitive football. I used to love the National Championship game. Different schools, maybe you get a small run from one school but then a new king. Now money has made the haves and have not divide too great, I don't really care who wins the National Title anymore.
I know . But what do you say to geno and saban ? Stop winning ?

I would not even wear the ring if all I did was sit on the bench.

Most part of me says every year that I'm kind of sick seeing the same 4-5 programs circle in/out of the college playoff. The whole system of college recruiting and construction of teams just doesn't make any sense from a competitiveness standpoint. And I understand it was never intended or created to be competitive. I hope at some point when I'm sure the whole model will have to be blown up and re-imagined - that whatever body it becomes that it at least considers competitiveness and fairness.

Reactions: koleszar
I know . But what do you say to geno and saban ? Stop winning ?
No, it's fine for some who like these dynasties, I just can't stand them. Let's put it this way, most times the last few years I didn't even remember CBS was showing college football. Because every time I turned it on it was Alabama 35 sacrificial lamb 0 so I stopped even checking the guide for that station. I do love college football but no way in hell am I watching that crap. I didn't even know Devante Smith was that good except the 3 qtrs. I saw him play.

I may want to walk back my original post about Bamas OL being NFL worthy.

Then again I’m a Jets fan, so my POV may not be totally accurate on this issue.
It is ok with your original thought anyway...Those 5 guys at a unit just make so OL's just look like HS. So- we do all get the point you were making.

Reactions: Knightmoves
JH was king of the medical retirement while at Stanford. Kids would agree to it with a scratch on their finger to stay in school on scholarship to get that education. For JH- allowed him to just clean out everyone not on the two deep as he wanted.

An Administrative Scholarship (what a medical is actually called) is NOT authorized by the Head Coach. The Medical Staff which include the Medical Doctors that work with the team, usually from the local Hospital AND the Head Trainer fill out medical reports that are forwarded to the NCAA.

The NCAA makes the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT