ADVERTISEMENT

Ajani threw the best ball of the day.

That was a beautiful ball to I believe Robinson who had a few drops today, including the first pass of the day. But the good thing the kid will learn and get better.

HOT TAKE:

Shep is the best QB on our roster, and has been since last season. Would love to see him get a legit shot to battle it out w/ AK for QB1 this season; then we'll see how long he (AS) can hold off Surace moving forward (kyk was right, kid is an absolute stud).

GW, love him, but the trajectory of the program is simply outpacing his development.

Sunday morning QB begins. All four QBs looked good throwing the ball. The best throw I thought was GW TD pass. It was an athletic throw under pressure
Shep and Gavin threw the same route. One was on the button the other overthrew 🤷🏻‍♂️

Shep and Gavin threw the same route. One was on the button the other overthrew 🤷🏻‍♂️
AJ threw an interception on a similar route, overthrowing the receiver, but the receiver seemed to not run the route.

All in all, it seems AK and GW overthrew or underthrew on several plays, but perhaps the receivers missed the routes on these plays.

Ajani looked sharp. AJS looked great for a true freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSGS
Sunday morning QB begins. All four QBs looked good throwing the ball. The best throw I thought was GW TD pass. It was an athletic throw under pressure
That would possibly support my theory that GW is just not a pocket QB.. if his feet are still he will screw things up.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense.. that QB accuracy can improve while moving.. but I'd test that with him if I were teh QB coach. Have him throw at same static target 20-30 times.. from in a pocket and then rolling towards it.. rolling away should be far worse.. but test that too.

If results support moving him.. then test moving targets.. WR drags, deep balls, etc.

I just think he doesn't get his feet going correctly in the pocket to step into throws.

Reactions: RCBeta79
HOT TAKE:

Shep is the best QB on our roster, and has been since last season. Would love to see him get a legit shot to battle it out w/ AK for QB1 this season; then we'll see how long he (AS) can hold off Surace moving forward (kyk was right, kid is an absolute stud).

GW, love him, but the trajectory of the program is simply outpacing his development.
Been singing his praises from the beginning. We'll see if he gets a legit shot. Wouldn't bet the farm on it.

GW will be the starter, not much to debate about that. He now has a ton of experience, has enough fire power to keep the defense honest, and has the skills of a RB. And he learned not to turn the ball over.
With OSU and Michigan off the schedule and the offensive like looking pretty good, Rutgers is in really good shape. It will be fun to see RU vs the new California teams.

GW will be the starter, not much to debate about that. He now has a ton of experience, has enough fire power to keep the defense honest, and has the skills of a RB. And he learned not to turn the ball over.
With OSU and Michigan off the schedule and the offensive like looking pretty good, Rutgers is in really good shape. It will be fun to see RU vs the new California teams.
New here?

I really think you're gonna see AK named starter. As for the spring game, IMO GW was the 4th best QB out there. Idk why Ajani doesn't get more praise and snaps. Maybe he doesn't go through his progressions well enough, couldn't tell on TV.

Ridiculous
GW decision making and more importantly his inability to sustain any drives with a passing offense will continue to result in losses against the tougher teams on our schedule. AK gives the team the best chance to win in 2024. Beyond that Sheppard will be the starter providing he does not leave.

Always been intrigued by him...looks a little smaller but he looks good throwing and is a pretty smooth runner as well.

AK- 405 passing attempts. Played in 32 games
GW- 455 patent passing attempts. Played in 25 games

Seems AK has more game experience.

HOT TAKE:

According to scarletknight.com Wims threw for a TD and ran for two more (including one 37 yd TD run). How are three TDs being "outpaced" in even a throw away game?

Supposedly with the 37 yd run Wims was "untouched." That's the kind of run GW makes when the field is open because he just eats up yards before people can catch him - just needs that opening.

That highlights something I think people miss. With a better WR group - with guys that can speed long and make the catches - the field will be more open than it was last year. Greg said they had to hold back on the long passes because of OL. If the field is more open, GW's game will expand quite a bit and really screw with DC's heads. Passing accuracy is a legit concern but the QBs are playing two different games.

"QB Gavin Wimsatt completed eight passes for 76 yards and a touchdown to lead the Scarlet, also finishing with five carries for 64 yards and two scores on the ground."

Come on. The dude couldn't even hit a RB in the backfield during a glorified scrimmage. He doesn't look any better than his career best 47.8% completion rate. Looking at running stats in a green jersey two hand touch environment is silly.

Come on. The dude couldn't even hit a RB in the backfield during a glorified scrimmage. He doesn't look any better than his career best 47.8% completion rate. Looking at running stats in a green jersey two hand touch environment is silly.
AK threw 2 TD passes and a long of 42 yards, 10 completions for 147 yards (14.7 yards per completion)
GW threw 1 TD pass and a long of 18 yards, 8 completions for 76 yards (9.8 yards per completion)

On those numbers AK seems like the better passing thread, however, he had Brantley at WR and Fletcher at TE.

As Greg said, it was a Spring game for the fans, not to draw any conclusions.

Reactions: PaKnight
AK wasn't even on the team last year. He has to learn a whole new system.

Schiano says he knows the system because of his Kirk ties from Minn.

He was also used to WRs like this who know who help QBs.
This pass wouldn't have been a TD at RU last year
WRs aren't just hands

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
GW will be the starter, but there is a lot to debate. He now has a ton of experience, has enough fire power to keep the defense honest, and has the skills of a RB. And he learned not to turn the ball over.
New here?

I fixed it lol

Ajani Sheppard threw the ball very well . We have 4 QB’s with AJ still needing more time in the weight room . AK gets it… Gavin is just off a bit on his release. He still releases on the ball an upward trajectory. He should be doing the same thing a hitter does in baseball ( hitting down on the ball) . If he can improve 5% on his release by August he probably keeps the job. We have some real offensive weapon possibilities this season.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
How about from the scrimmage? Get real. The kid put the ball in fantastic spots. He’s got so much more accuracy than Gavin, not even close… still.
nothing from the scrimmage but we all agree, he did great!

Reactions: SBP
I thought none of them looked good. Like not better than Gavin last year. Not even Gavin.

GW is the QB starting the season, there is not competition and no debate. We lose to VTech and Washington, I think you might see a change for Nebraska. But Greg is a stubborn man, he might ride GW for the entire season no matter what our record.

• Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
AK looked better than GW to me. Throws on target. GW dual threat is to run or make an inaccurate throw. I want a QB that puts the ball where the receiver is going in stride.

AK looked better than GW to me. Throws on target. GW dual threat is to run or make an inaccurate throw. I want a QB that puts the ball where the receiver is going in stride.
He was the better passer. Except that’s not what Schiano wants. He wants a running QB, 3rd and short, low turnover risk offense. GW fits that 1950 philosophy best.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MCRU93
I really think you're gonna see AK named starter. As for the spring game, IMO GW was the 4th best QB out there. Idk why Ajani doesn't get more praise and snaps. Maybe he doesn't go through his progressions well enough, couldn't tell on TV.
This is comical .

he looked like #2 to me and would love to have seen Greg mix the set with the scarlet team in the 1st half

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT