ADVERTISEMENT

Al Dukes is a Piece of Garbage

Salvi's Headband

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
I called the WFAN morning show today and got through. I wanted to talk about the excitement around Rutgers hoops, and the team being ranked for the first time in decades. Al "Dukes" Hughes told me that nobody cares about Rutgers sports and it was boring to take calls about the team. Keep in mind, at this precise moment on the show, Boomer and his idiot co-host were talking about the Suffolk County Hall of Fame and even taking calls about it.

It was actually the third time this week that a WFAN screener turned me away for wanting to talk about the basketball team.

Screw them all.

I called the WFAN morning show today and got through. I wanted to talk about the excitement around Rutgers hoops, and the team being ranked for the first time in decades. Al "Dukes" Hughes told me that nobody cares about Rutgers sports and it was boring to take calls about the team. Keep in mind, at this precise moment on the show, Boomer and his idiot co-host were talking about the Suffolk County Hall of Fame and even taking calls about it.

It was actually the third time this week that a WFAN screener turned me away for wanting to talk about the basketball team.

Screw them all.
First of all local college sports are hardly discussed on NYC radio stations because pro sports get most of the attention.Jerry Recco is on the show and he mentioned today about Rutgers ranking.

Al was probably just following orders. I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt considering how tight he seems to be with Jerry Recco but yeah it's disappointing how he has zero interest in RU considering he grew up in Woodbridge and lives in Matawan.

That's the problem though with having two guys (Norman J. Esiason and Greg G.) from where they're from hosting the morning show. New Brunswick might as well be Mars to them even though it's closer to their studio than basically all of "Suffolk County."

Last edited:
First of all local college sports are hardly discussed on NYC radio stations because pro sports get most of the attention.Jerry Recco is on the show and he mentioned today about Rutgers ranking.

It's late January.....there is literally nothing going on locally. Gonna talk about the Mets managerial situation for 3 hours? The Islanders? What? Can't take a ten second call about Big Ten basketball?

It's late January.....there is literally nothing going on locally. Gonna talk about the Mets managerial situation for 3 hours? The Islanders? What? Can't take a ten second call about Big Ten basketball?

You're right, of course but those guys are too set in their ways to change.
Do yourself a favor an get a SiriusXM subscription for $6 a month if you want to hear Big Ten discussion. Their college sports channel spent more time talking about RU yesterday than you'll get on WFAN until March.

Haven't listened to the Fan in years. Used to be rude and uninformed hosts, bad callers and realized it's a complete waste of time. Hated those calls about people's fantasy trades where their favorite team gets an All Star and in return gives up a minor league player, as if they think they're the smartest wanna be GM in the world.

The station has always solely focused on the NY professional teams and their knowledge on college athletics is zippo.

This is not unique to NY. They barely talk college sports in philly. I’m sure it is the same in Boston and DC. It’s just the way it is here..

Reactions: RUJMM78 and DirtyRU
I've never seen the guy but I expect someone with the look of a 60 year old virgin... So what did you expect?

Screw them all.
Gregg Giannotti actually brought up Rutgers and talked about us being ranked when introducing Jerry Recco on the 6:30 update. They talked about it for a bit. So it was actually discussed on the show very positively. But they’re not going to start taking a bunch of calls on it on the Morning Show. While Jerry was doing his update, they actually had a guy on who complained that Jerry wasn’t talking about Seton Hall who was ranked #10. Of course, it was Gio that brought up Rutgers and Jerry hadn’t even really gotten to it in his update yet. So Boomer, Jerry, and Gio explained what was what to the guy.

They need to cater to the middle 80% of their fanbase.

That's pretty much Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets & Knicks.

Think about how little they talk about the Rangers & Islanders for a minute.

And those are two NY pro teams.

It's like them devoting 15-20 minutes to talk about MLS -- you're going to turn the dial to something else.

Give them a special season & we'll get all the coverage we can handle.

Reactions: hiwater
If you want to talk about it and squeak in a mention, then you need to lie to them. Call in and say you want to talk about the big topic they want to talk about. When you get on the air, you mention that you are calling in to talk about topic X that they think is so damn important, but then you first make your point about Rutgers basketball being ranked for the first time since the 1970s and it's pretty cool.

They have a pretty crappy stance on college sports and rutgers. Most of them did not go to rutgers or care about rutgers, and therefore don't want to talk about it. Francessa hated Rutgers. But he would talk about his college teams, ND and St. Johns Hoops. They all talk about college football and the good teams, but not the local teams. They stick with pro sports and the bandwagon college sports teams. They don't want to take callers on Rutgers Basketball because all of them know nothing about it and don't want to lose control of their show and being the authority of the conversation by having someone go on and talk more about the sport than they know.

So the way you get them to have to listen to you is you sneak it in. They then get pissed at the producer for allowing a call like that to sneak in, but you got your airtime

I don't listen to the FAN ever anymore. NY sports are basically all pathetic at this time except for the Yankees. I would much rather listen to my favorite cd's when I am driving.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Boomer's CBS Sports Minute update was on Rutgers reaching the AP Top 25 for the first time since the 70's.
This plays in Atlanta too. I heard it this morning on my drive in. Was SHOCKED to hear it. Usually it is mainstream sport's/high profile news or his usual NY bias on Mets, Yanks/Rangers/Knicks so when it was on Rutgers doing something good I was amazed!

Boomer is not all bad

I remember being at the 2006 Louisville game when Mike and the Dog setup by the front gate.Several drunks were calling Mike all sorts of names,it was totally uncalled for and embarrassing. I heard Marc Malusis who was then tech support for the show say,"Mike will never comeback here again or talk Rutgers.Couple that with Greg stopping the tradition of Mike and Dog coaching the Spring Game { where Mike thought he was Parcells } and you have the WFAN bias on all things Rutgers. Oh, and also the dimiss of their hero Imus over his comments about our Women's team

Screw them all.

lol

giphy.gif

Reactions: thegock
Yea just call up and lie. Say you want to talk about AB's CTE problems and then just go on a Rutgers rant

If you want to talk about it and squeak in a mention, then you need to lie to them. Call in and say you want to talk about the big topic they want to talk about. When you get on the air, you mention that you are calling in to talk about topic X that they think is so damn important, but then you first make your point about Rutgers basketball being ranked for the first time since the 1970s and it's pretty cool.

They have a pretty crappy stance on college sports and rutgers. Most of them did not go to rutgers or care about rutgers, and therefore don't want to talk about it. Francessa hated Rutgers. But he would talk about his college teams, ND and St. Johns Hoops. They all talk about college football and the good teams, but not the local teams. They stick with pro sports and the bandwagon college sports teams. They don't want to take callers on Rutgers Basketball because all of them know nothing about it and don't want to lose control of their show and being the authority of the conversation by having someone go on and talk more about the sport than they know.

So the way you get them to have to listen to you is you sneak it in. They then get pissed at the producer for allowing a call like that to sneak in, but you got your airtime
Lots of Syracuse grads end up in media jobs in the tri-state....

Gregg Giannotti actually brought up Rutgers and talked about us being ranked when introducing Jerry Recco on the 6:30 update. They talked about it for a bit. So it was actually discussed on the show very positively. But they’re not going to start taking a bunch of calls on it on the Morning Show. While Jerry was doing his update, they actually had a guy on who complained that Jerry wasn’t talking about Seton Hall who was ranked #10. Of course, it was Gio that brought up Rutgers and Jerry hadn’t even really gotten to it in his update yet. So Boomer, Jerry, and Gio explained what was what to the guy.
Yup- this is accurate and they mention Rutgers quite a bit because of Jerry’s play by play gig at RU. This thread is silly.

Reactions: soundcrib
WFAN is made up of extremely low IQ hosts that cater to a generally very simple sports crowd. Think of your most stupid friend and their takes on sports, and now imagine that same friend hosting a radio show.

I always find it funny that Gianotti thinks people give a flaming sh*t about his opinions on anything but especially football.

You're sitting next to a former NFL QB you self important toad. That's who we want to hear from.

Rutgers25 said:

I’m sure it is the same in Boston...

It is. For every story on BC basketball they have three on "Is Gronk coming back?"
[/quote]
Nothing different in the SF Bay Area. It’s the Niners, Giants, A’s, Warriors, Sharks, and some Earthquakes (Raiders too, but now LV). Very little on Cal and Stanford. Nothing on USF, Saint Mary’s, San Jose St or Santa Clara.

It's not about what they want to talk about it is about what the majority of the listeners want to hear. You need to understand that business. And the business is about ratings. College anything doesn't generate business. Here in Philly during Nova's runs to multiple Championships you never heard anything about them during the season. Stop taking it personal.

Reactions: bac2therac
This is not unique to NY. They barely talk college sports in philly. I’m sure it is the same in Boston and DC. It’s just the way it is here..
That was something that really surprised me when I moved to south Jersey 20 years ago. Always thought of Philly as such a great college hoops town, but all the radio wants to discuss is Eagles/Phillies/Sixers/Flyers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT