ADVERTISEMENT

All of the Final Four teams hardly play their bench

In the pre-season I posted the old adage: Play 7, trust 5. We didn't really need to play Miller, Palmquist or even Hyatt. When they walk on the court, a more talented player walked off the court. I get Miller and Hyatt brought energy and a different skill set. I get Palmquist mostly played due to foul issues.
You still need to get young kids game reps, however. Hyatt will be an important part of the team next year. Longterm growth doesn't happen without some kind of game time.

In the Final Four games Saturday:
Villanova - all 5 starters played over 31 minutes with one bench player playing over 2 minutes.
Kansas - all 5 starters played over 29 minutes with 2 bench players playing over 9 minutes.
North Carolina - all 5 starters played over 33 minutes (two played 40 minutes) with one bench player playing over 3 minutes.
Duke - all 5 starters played over 17 minutes (one 38 and one 39) and only two bench players played, but they each were over 14 minutes. This seemed to be because one of the starters (Williams) was in foul trouble.

Pretty amazing how little the Final Four teams played their benches. And Duke, the team that gave the most minutes to their bench (43 minutes) lost. Crazy!

Rutgers is not the only team in the 2022 NCAA's that didn't play their bench much. That being said, RU really needs to improve their bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Duke player goes under the screen when Love hit the decisive 3. The individual skill level was off the charts in the game. The attention and effort on D was not off the charts.

Duke was an average defensive team this year with a few elite offensive players. It was impressive Coach K got them this far.

Duke was an average defensive team this year with a few elite offensive players. It was impressive Coach K got them this far.
Elite players are difference makers which explains why the blue blood programs have played in so many final four games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT