ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing ride and a missed opportunity here, sums up the Ron Harper Jr era

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Wow. What an amazing game. It had that feel who ever had the ball last was gonna win. Big shot after big shot. Tip my hat to these guys for leaving it all on the floor and to Pike for what I thought was a very well coached game on the whole.

Today I think sums up the last three years perfectly. An amazing ride, filled with huge moments and missed opportunities.

2020 The Maryland and Purdue wins
2021 JY steal and Minnesota takeover
2022 4 wins in a row against top 25
(And many more through the years)
but ultimately at the end of each ride, a real opportunity to keep the ride going was missed:

2020 Covid
2021 Houston collapse w/ weak bracket ahead
2022 Heartbreaker where don’t make it to opening weekend

There were many little moments that could fill pages and pages. But as the Ron Harper Jr era likely comes to end, you can’t help but feel thankful and little bit of what could’ve been. What a career.

Last edited:
A well coached game??? He was schooled today by Brey.
I thought he was great out of the timeouts. Drew up some great sets.

Decision to go without Rieber and go small paid dividends in 1H. Probably wouldn’t have gone back to it again as much after Brey had time to adjust at half.

Shortened rotation pretty significantly.

Great play end of regulation to get Ron a WIDE OPEN 3 for the game.

Only real blunder I saw was deliberately wasting a 2 for 1 at half (that lucked into McConnel bucket) and not calling time out after that aforementioned Ron miss before Geos missed buzzer beater.

Ron’s big deficiency is his rebounding. Especially as a 4….He either doesn’t block out, or stands around. A lot. This is documented year in year out. Maybe he will learn to play better D in tge G league.

Ron’s big deficiency is his rebounding. Especially as a 4….He either doesn’t block out, or stands around. A lot. This is documented year in year out. Maybe he will learn to play better D in tge G league.
Agreed. Hi n the last play and many others 3 RU guys were looking at the ball instead of finding someone to box out!!!

Any talk of next year's tournament chances is TBD until the roster is finalized. We have some pieces and some holes. Does anyone really think it's that awful if Jones stays and steps up, we land the Lafayette center, and a scorer in the portal?
Yeah all we can do is speculate until we know how who is leaving and begin to see/hear how the roster is managed.

Same deal as last year. We knew last year after player announcements and priority portal targets were declared what this years team would ultimately be. The roster management means pretty much everything.

Reactions: gregkoko
Harper played with a injury most of the season which is the reason he had shortened practice participation prior to games and none after half time.Many times during games he wasn't active on offense saving his energy for big spots.He was a great player and will be missed next season.

Eh I'm still holding out hope he returns.
Just can't see why leave Rutgers with still a year of eligibility left?
I would think a transfer is more likely (hopefully not likely at all though) than leaving college for an uncertain next step.

Note - I've never had to juggle school and being an elite athlete like he has though.

Agree but it’s not just the Ron Harper Jr. era.

It’s the Ron Harper Jr., Geo Baker and maybe Caleb McConnell era.

Weird title until I saw OP ;)
You beat me to it. I think it’s a clear diss toward Geo by the OP.

You beat me to it. I think it’s a clear diss toward Geo by the OP.

He does it on purpose to get people riled up and then acts like he doesn’t.

It’s an odd passive/aggressive style of posting he has lol.

Not cool though considering Baker and McConnell were a big part of this program. OP finally came around on McConnell but has a weird dislike of Baker.

He does it on purpose to get people riled up and then acts like he doesn’t.

It’s an odd passive/aggressive style of posting he has lol.

Not cool though considering Baker and McConnell were a big part of this program. OP finally came around on McConnell but has a weird dislike of Baker.
Another hijack of a positive thread. Geo is a great kid I have said nothing bad of him here. Mcconnell is a ptp - best games were in biggest games.

It is truly a shame that Yeboah never got a shot in March. He was such an x-factor for that year's team.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Another hijack of a positive thread. Geo is a great kid I have said nothing bad of him here. Mcconnell is a ptp - best games were in biggest games.

Im not trying to hijack your thread but it’s Bush League to create a thread about an end of an era like this and not mention Baker (and McConnell).

You did it on purpose and you know it lol.

I love Ron but this era was more than just him.

As other posters always say, Sojo gonna Sojo.

Im not trying to hijack your thread but it’s Bush League to create a thread about an end of an era like this and not mention Baker (and McConnell).

You did it on purpose and you know it lol.

I love Ron but this era was more than just him.

As other posters always say, Sojo gonna Sojo.
I mention Geo and Caleb in all kinds of threads. Ones about similar topics. Geo doesn’t have to be mentioned in every one.

Geo has tons of his own threads and you’re never posting “I see you left out Ron on purpose”. Whatever you are inferring I am not implying. Not everything is about your burning desire to assume negative intent.

Nothing more to say about your hijack attempt after this.

I mention Geo and Caleb in all kinds of threads. Ones about similar topics. Geo doesn’t have to be mentioned in every one.

Geo has tons of his own threads and you’re never posting “I see you left out Ron on purpose”. Whatever you are inferring I am not implying. Not everything is about your burning desire to assume negative intent.

Nothing more to say about your hijack attempt after this.

You’ve gotten all bent out of shape in the past when people started Baker threads and left out Ron…I’m just doing the same to you bud.

Crazy to talk about the end of an “era” and only mention Harper lol.

You have a weird dislike for Baker and everyone knows it.

You’ve gotten all bent out of shape in the past when people started Baker threads and left out Ron…I’m just doing the same to you bud.

Crazy to talk about the end of an “era” and only mention Harper lol.

You have a weird dislike for Baker and everyone knows it.
The difference is I don’t say anything other than my opinion. You say you’re opinion, and then go on to call me out with some hidden agenda. Like every time. If you can’t see that then we will be doing this endlessly as you always instigate out of nowhere.

The difference is I don’t say anything other than my opinion. You say you’re opinion, and then go on to call me out with some hidden agenda. Like every time. If you can’t see that then we will be doing this endlessly as you always instigate out of nowhere.

Except only you think it’s a hidden agenda Lolol.

No worries I’m gonna take a break from this board for awhile so I won’t instigate anymore.

Reactions: RUsojo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT