ADVERTISEMENT

Any update on Ndongo or Davis signing?

That was with Ron, Geo and JY doing the heavy lifting on the tournament team we won a game and Ron and Geo doing the heavy lifting on the play in game team. Last year with Paul being counted on to do some heavy lifting it was NIT. If you tell me freshman Gavin = Ron, Fernades = Geo and Derrick = JY then maybe I feel better about Paul's minutes. If not, then his minutes need to be reduced.
Somebody with common sense. A rarity in this board 😂

Reactions: RU84
That was with Ron, Geo and JY doing the heavy lifting on the tournament team we won a game and Ron and Geo doing the heavy lifting on the play in game team. Last year with Paul being counted on to do some heavy lifting it was NIT. If you tell me freshman Gavin = Ron, Fernades = Geo and Derrick = JY then maybe I feel better about Paul's minutes. If not, then his minutes need to be reduced.
Fernandes has a better 3-point percentage than Baker did. By all accounts, Griffiths is listed as a great shooter. Jury is out on Simpson, but JY played the role he is more suited for.

But of course Mulcahy's minutes will be reduced if he comes back next year. In terms of rotation at the 1-2-3 spots, we're replacing McConnell with Griffiths and adding Fernandes in place of Miller. With an extra man in the rotation, and a returning Simpson having earned more time, it shouldn't be necessary (or expected) for Spencer or Mulcahy to average the minutes they did last season.

Fernandes has a better 3-point percentage than Baker did. By all accounts, Griffiths is listed as a great shooter. Jury is out on Simpson, but JY played the role he is more suited for.

But of course Mulcahy's minutes will be reduced if he comes back next year. In terms of rotation at the 1-2-3 spots, we're replacing McConnell with Griffiths and adding Fernandes in place of Miller. With an extra man in the rotation, and a returning Simpson having earned more time, it shouldn't be necessary (or expected) for Spencer or Mulcahy to average the minutes they did last season.
If Pike has a good bench everyone's minutes should be reduced. The fact that most starters went 30+ minutes the last two seasons was not good. They really need to be able to go 10 players deep to keep guys fresh and avoid injuries. Doesn't mean he will use all of them every game but when injuries or foul trouble strike it's good to have players you can rely on.

If Pike has a good bench everyone's minutes should be reduced. The fact that most starters went 30+ minutes the last two seasons was not good. They really need to be able to go 10 players deep to keep guys fresh and avoid injuries. Doesn't mean he will use all of them every game but when injuries or foul trouble strike it's good to have players you can rely on.
Totally agree. I’ve been saying this as a reason we have a big down turn at the end of the season. Now that we have depth minutes should be reduced across the board. No one should consistently be playing 30+ minutes throughout the year.

So did I. No need to incorrectly bash Warren to hype Simpson. He is not a supposed 4 star he's a clear but 4 star not even low end 4 star
I'm not bashing Warren at all. I just think Derek is a better player. No offense to Ritchie and other mods, but I evaluated high school basketball players for a lot of years, and as an overall player, outside of his Warren's handle, I think Derek does most everything else better. He's taller, quicker, faster, looks to rebound and has a mid range game. For what it's worth, if he played at Don Bosco or one of the other northern preps he would have likely been a four star. I mean he did drop 30 against Camden and maybe even Elizabeth. Warren's a nice player but I don't think he could ever do that.

I'm not bashing Warren at all. I just think Derek is a better player. No offense to Ritchie and other mods, but I evaluated high school basketball players for a lot of years, and as an overall player, outside of his Warren's handle, I think Derek does most everything else better. He's taller, quicker, faster, looks to rebound and has a mid range game. For what it's worth, if he played at Don Bosco or one of the other northern preps he would have likely been a four star. I mean he did drop 30 against Camden and maybe even Elizabeth. Warren's a nice player but I don't think he could ever do that.
Saying Warren is a supposed 4 star is bashing Warren

Supposed means it's something people believe but isn't actually true. Implying Warren should not be a 4 star when he's rated in the 60s means he would be ranked what? 60+ spots too high to drop to a 3 star

Saying Warren is a supposed 4 star is bashing Warren

Supposed means it's something people believe but isn't actually true. Implying Warren should not be a 4 star when he's rated in the 60s means he would be ranked what? 60+ spots too high to drop to a 3 star
OK, take out the word supposed. I apologize. Stars aren't always accurate and don't always reflect future performance. I still think Derek is better and has a much higher ceiling and he was only a 3*. Hey, Mathis was a 4* and Spencer a 0* with only Loyola to offer. Who turned out better? Harrar at PSU was a 3* and Doucoure a 4*. Who turned out better? I just think Simpson was rated too low and Warren maybe a little too high comparatively speaking. I think Simpson is the better of the two, and has the higher upside.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how Derek develops going into year two.

But don’t underestimate Warren. He appears to be the exact type of playmaking point guard that will work well with stars like Ace, Gavin, Lathen, and hopefully Dylan, and others.

He’s also comparing a current high school junior to a college freshman.
To be fair, Simpson is probably closer in age to Warren than he is to Mulcahy, and more than half of this thread is about Simpson vs Mulcahy comparisons. The reality is that both Simpson and Mulcahy will have to earn their minutes after the additions of Fernandes and Griffiths.

Is it derailing the derailed thread to ask about Ndongo or Davis signing? Asking for a friend….
How many threads actually stay on topic?

Do you recall the one that morphed from a recruit into a conversation around Colombia (the country)? Can't remember if that was on premium side or not.

• Haha
Reactions: RUHouston
Remind me, how did Paul look the year where Ron and geo stopped bailing him out?
A career high in 3P%, more steals/game, an improved assist/turnover ratio, more FT attempts, and fewer PFs?

Very curious what the season would have looked like without the shoulder injuries, but he sacrifices his body too much to get through a season without getting banged up.

OK, take out the word supposed. I apologize. Stars aren't always accurate and don't always reflect future performance. I still think Derek is better and has a much higher ceiling and he was only a 3*. Hey, Mathis was a 4* and Spencer a 0* with only Loyola to offer. Who turned out better? Harrar at PSU was a 3* and Doucoure a 4*. Who turned out better? I just think Simpson was rated too low and Warren maybe a little too high comparatively speaking. I think Simpson is the better of the two, and has the higher upside.
That's all fine. I think Simpson is a better scorer. Warren looks to have better handle and will be a better distributor which will be very important with all the talent around him. Warren is also a very good defender from what I've heard

Remind me, how did Paul look the year where Ron and geo stopped bailing him out?

On one hand your saying Noah is so good he will take all of Paul’s time. Now your saying what - that Paul was only able to start because of Geo and Ron. Isn’t the idea of this whole conversation that we’re hoping we have more offensive weapons like those guys? If Noah is similar to Geo and GG comes in a scorer, plus Mag picks up where he left off - then Paul as a distributor becomes more valuable like he was in previous years.

By the way - I don’t think anyone said Simpson won’t play. We just think he will average 20 minutes vs the 25+ your predicting.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
You're sort of comparing apples and oranges, Warren is a true PG, and that's the role he will play at RU, while Simpson is a combo guard.
Absolutely. Warren's ability to distribute the ball and make tight passes is noticeably superior to Simpson's. They each have their strong points, but Dellquan is a point guard. I've watched game highlights (Not Dellquan highlights) of Keystone Athletic Academy's games, and he can play. Pretty athletic too.

According to some if you don’t think Simpson is the second coming you’re now a detractor. I like Simpson. He’s got a lot of potential and he’s fearless. He also didn’t shoot at a high percentage and is a player without a position right now. If Pike thought he was going to be running this team Fernandes would not be here.

He is built to be the 6th man on a team. Energy and the green light to go score.

Why are you talking about Ndongo in the Simpson thread?
Sorry The Hangover GIF

• Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
According to some if you don’t think Simpson is the second coming you’re now a detractor. I like Simpson. He’s got a lot of potential and he’s fearless. He also didn’t shoot at a high percentage and is a player without a position right now. If Pike thought he was going to be running this team Fernandes would not be here.

He is built to be the 6th man on a team. Energy and the green light to go score.
This is pretty funny. I guess any defense of Simpson is characterizing him as the "second coming." The detractors seem to be obsessed with myopic metrics like his shooting efficiency and magnifying every mistake he made. They're labeling him as a lesser bench piece who didn't show much with dubious upside instead of recognizing the unique positives he brings, the flashes of excellence and his sizeable upside as only a freshman. If you've followed this thread for the last few days you'll notice it's quite the opposite. There's a much higher ratio of posters that apparently feel Paul is the second coming focusing only on his positives while refusing to acknowledge his limitations and weaknesses.

so Davis did the whole family signing event but just didn't announce it?

That sucks for him that he has to wait to announce.
Well,
First off, I would not be insisting on announcing all signed players at once if I was Pike, I don't think it is that necessary

So if Davis wanted to announce and sign at any point I would go ahead with it, let him do it now if wanted

If Pike wants the two recruits announced together, I would try to sign Davis before the announcement , and hopefully Davis is ok with that

Reactions: NickRU714
This is pretty funny. I guess any defense of Simpson is characterizing him as the "second coming." The detractors seem to be obsessed with myopic metrics like his shooting efficiency and magnifying every mistake he made. They're labeling him as a lesser bench piece who didn't show much with dubious upside instead of recognizing the unique positives he brings, the flashes of excellence and his sizeable upside as only a freshman. If you've followed this thread for the last few days you'll notice it's quite the opposite. There's a much higher ratio of posters that apparently feel Paul is the second coming focusing only on his positives while refusing to acknowledge his limitations and weaknesses.

I love how shooting percentages are somehow "myopic", lol

Simpson grew a lot through the year, and he had a unique skillset on last year's roster. He was the only guy who was able to consistently break down his man with dribble penetration and had an ability to get into the paint for pull up jumpers. That was a spark we didn't have, and adding it helped give the offense some needed juice late in the season.

But Simpson was very much a combo guard this past season - he added slashing offense, but didn't really show the outside shooting you'd expect from a SG or assists you'd expect from a PG (and he doesn't really have the size to defend SF/wings). With the addition of Fernandes, who is expected to get the starting PG role, the expectation is that he'd again come off the bench next year.

Fernandes has a similar slashing/pull-up skillset that Simpson has, but he's been a better distributor and three point shooter. Very likely our starting PG/SG will be Fernandes/Spencer in 2023-24, and I'd expect Simpson to get 20+ min split between the PG/SG spots.

Fernandes' stats as a soph-senior at Umass:
32.0 min, 13.4 pts (.442 FG%, .386 3P%, .756 FT%), 3.1 rb, 4.8 ast, 1.3 stl, 2.2 tov
Spencer's stats last year:
31.5 min, 13.2 pts (.444 FG%, .434 3P%, .894 FT%), 3.8 rb, 3.1 ast, 2.0 stl, 1.4 tov
Mulcahy's stats last year:
32.4 min, 8.3 pts (.416 FG%, .370 3P%, .723 FT%), 3.6 rb, 4.9 ast, 1.5 stl, 2.0 tov
Simpson's stats last year:
20.4 min, 7.1 pts (.374 FG%, .217 3P%, .793 FT%), 1.6 rb, 1.5 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.9 tov
Griffiths (TBD)

Assuming Mulcahy returns, those will be the five guys playing the 1-3 spots next year (120 min). My very rough guess is that we start the season with Fernandes/Spencer/Mulcahy, and as we get into conference play this switches to Fernandes/Spencer/Griffiths as GG gets more comfortable at Div-I game speed. My expectation would be that Simpson would pick up 20-22 min behind Fernandes/Spencer, and Davis would play spot minutes as a freshman.

Both Simpson/Davis would then be ready to take on larger roles in 2024-25 when Fernandes/Spencer/Mulcahy all graduate.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT