ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament Thread

Turley dominated and then looked ill or shut it down in the 3rd. Survive and advance. Soldano didn't scramble well.

Turley dominated and then looked ill or shut it down in the 3rd. Survive and advance. Soldano didn't scramble well.
Turley looked like he died 3/4 through that match. Lol

Soldano is just so frustrating bc you know talent is there and these are guys he should beat.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Poz wins 6-2. Controlled the entire match. BTN TV and B1G+ streaming are about a minute out of sync with B1G+ many times ahead of TV, which is a little annoying and it's usually the opposite. Poz looked to have 2 backs on a chin back that the ref was too slow on getting down, and Sollars could've been hit for stalling again in 2nd after laying there.

Nice, solid win by Poz. Controlled the entire match. Sollars should have been hit with stalling once again at the very least.

Reactions: RUpop and Leonard23
Why doesn't Yara let him up and then take him down for a tech?

Poz wins 6-2. Controlled the entire match. BTN TV and B1G+ streaming are about a minute out of sync with B1G+ many times ahead of TV, which is a little annoying and it's usually the opposite. Poz looked to have 2 backs on a chin back that the ref was too slow on getting down, and Sollars could've been hit for stalling again in 2nd after laying there.
I was ok with the no call. You really need to get that 6 inches on the chin back. Would have liked him to finish that duck under late in the first. That is where the 197 size comes into play.

Reactions: RUpop and Leonard23
I was ok with the no call. You really need to get that 6 inches on the chin back. Would have liked him to finish that duck under late in the first. That is where the 197 size comes into play.
Fair enough, maybe only 1 swipe then. Yeah the bigger taller guys are harder to finish that on and the announcers commented about that being harder for him to finish on bigger guys so it's an adjustment.
Soldano needs to redshirt and come back at 174 to ever have a shot at AA
Redshirt, yes, but I'm not sure about 174. Big cutting isn't for everyone and he's never cut a ton so I'm not sure he's interested.

When he did do it, the opponent did a good job of running off the mat to escape a couple of late near takedowns.
I always thought that “go for tech/pin” strategy in a tournament is beyond stupid. Team score is stupid, especially for Rutgers who has no chance at a top 3 finish. Take your win and move on.

One day some one is going to let a guy up to try and go for team points and they’re gonna get caught and taken to their back, and it’ll go viral.

Other than soldano a good first session right?
I'd say very good except for Soldano.

-Dean avenged the earlier loss
-Moore pin was unexpected.
-Middle three we hoped for Cetta but most knew it was wishful thinking, the other two have no chance in this tournament.
-Turley concerning at the end but still won
-Soldano at this point, just a disappointment
-Poz/Yara did what they should and controlled or dominated each match.

I always thought that “go for tech/pin” strategy in a tournament is beyond stupid. Team score is stupid, especially for Rutgers who has no chance at a top 3 finish. Take your win and move on.

One day some one is going to let a guy up to try and go for team points and they’re gonna get caught and taken to their back, and it’ll go viral.
I don't think it's about team points. Go end the match. If one more takedown ends it... Don't take a bad shot but if you have a good set up, go and execute.

When he did do it, the opponent did a good job of running off the mat to escape a couple of late near takedowns.
I get it but that's because he waited until they're only 30 seconds left in the match. He had so much riding time accumulated I feel like he should have started with a minute to go. But I'm no expert which is why I am asking.

Peterson looking good/strong through two periods. Great takedown at the end of the period. That absolutely has to stand.

Reactions: SCNJ
I don't think it's about team points. Go end the match. If one more takedown ends it... Don't take a bad shot but if you have a good set up, go and execute.
Rather take no risks and just lay on top of the guy for 30 seconds. Can’t lose while on top.

I agree if there was risk, but I just didn’t see any real risk here, only upside. But he did eventually cut him loose, so I assume that’s what they were thinking as well. I’m obviously not an expert here, but I was hoping he would cut him loose a little earlier to try to get the tech.

I’m watching on my phone. If anyone can post what mat the matches they’re talking about that would be really appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT