ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Build Fund Progress

It's because of lists like that that I make my charitable donations anonymously whenever possible.

Separate issues. While I agree overall that there are larger problems, the point of any Organization (whether it be a company or a charity) is to make things easy on the consumer or donor to take their money. Not sure how much traffic the website gets, but its terrible design to have to click in the upper right hand corner to get to the "donate now" link. That should be front and center, not 2 clicks away. This shouldn't even be debatable.
Seriously, I had no problem finding it. I guess you did though.

Wasn't this what Julie complained about and got heat for it?

To be fair though, isn't this a B1G Build Fund list? If the NFL guys contribute, I wouldn't be surprised they contribute directly to FB. I certainly would if I were them.

90% contribute zilch. But they want you to come to their fundraisers...

Reactions: bac2therac
This has to be a joke right?

It's their choice whether they want to donate but if they don't they shouldn't expect others from RU to give to their charities or ever use the RU facilities for personal reasons.

Let's look for Steve Beauharnis on that list. I'm sure we'll find him after his temper tantrum last week.

So did many of us, and we paid for it. I put in sweat equity working 30-35 hours per week to pay tuition and living expenses. They went for free and make multiples of $$ more than most people. But I see PSUNUT's point. They have a short duration to make a lot of $$ early in their career, many times a career that get cut short. But giving NOTHING?
Did you help the university make money? You didn't put in sweat equity for the school. You did it for yourself. They get scholarships from other schools and they decided to come here. Please stop with the free tuition argument. It's really stupid.

Reactions: ATIOH
Did you help the university make money? You didn't put in sweat equity for the school. You did it for yourself. They get scholarships from other schools and they decided to come here. Please stop with the free tuition argument. It's really stupid.
As a matter of fact, I did.
I got scholarships from other schools and decided to go to Rutgers.
Your argument does not hold water.
They did it for themselves to keep playing football and to go to school for free. Best deal going.

As a matter of fact, I did.
I got scholarships from other schools and decided to go to Rutgers.
Your argument does not hold water.
They did it for themselves to keep playing football and to go to school for free. Best deal going.
How did you help Rutgers make money? so a 5 star kid picks RU over Mich, do you think RU is doing the kid a favor or the other way around?

How did you help Rutgers make money? so a 5 star kid picks RU over Mich, do you think RU is doing the kid a favor or the other way around?
You sound like a child. .We have not had a 5 star "kid" come to RU and go to the NFL. Your premise is a false one. Explain to me how much money one football player "makes" for dear old Rutgers. Please show your complete work with a balance sheet of expenses and how that player directly contributed to revenue.

You sound like a child. .We have not had a 5 star "kid" come to RU and go to the NFL. Your premise is a false one. Explain to me how much money one football player "makes" for dear old Rutgers. Please show your complete work with a balance sheet of expenses and how that player directly contributed to revenue.
Do you buy football tickets to see the band? Did Adidas sign Rutgers because of the academics? But you made money for the school right?

Do you buy football tickets to see the band? Did Adidas sign Rutgers because of the academics? But you made money for the school right?

Last time I checked nobody is "making money" for Rutgers Athletics. The Athletic Department does not turn a profit but runs a deficit which is exactly why we need donations from everyone from the alum making 50K a year, to the Millionaire CEO to all of our Letterwinners.

Nobody should be excused from donating, espcially Althetes that have reaped the benefits of previous donors and come back to campus post graduation and use the facilities and ask for donations to their own charities from the RU community.

The Big10 build honor roll came out recently and I was frankly surprised that many diehard RU fans I know have yet to contribute. I know giving is not easy, but a pledge of $500 over 5 years is probably manageable for many of them and would really help the cause. I hope a lot more people will join in at whatever level they can.
A little over $ 8.00 per month.....

Separate issues. While I agree overall that there are larger problems, the point of any Organization (whether it be a company or a charity) is to make things easy on the consumer or donor to take their money. Not sure how much traffic the website gets, but its terrible design to have to click in the upper right hand corner to get to the "donate now" link. That should be front and center, not 2 clicks away. This shouldn't even be debatable.
When I joined, via the website, I called and complained about how confusing it was for me, and was told others have voiced the same concern, and it was being addressed.

Last time I checked nobody is "making money" for Rutgers Athletics. The Athletic Department does not turn a profit but runs a deficit which is exactly why we need donations from everyone from the alum making 50K a year, to the Millionaire CEO to all of our Letterwinners.

Nobody should be excused from donating, espcially Althetes that have reaped the benefits of previous donors and come back to campus post graduation and use the facilities and ask for donations to their own charities from the RU community.
It's a basic question, do you think the school is taking of advantage of the kids or the kids taking advantage of the school? Let me remind you that we are raising money to improve facilities to be on par with other schools. That means these kids are picking to come to a school with lesser facilities and an unproven staff.

For those of you confused about donating or want to donate each of the captains has their own page where you just click on "donate" and it takes you directly to the page for you to fill out your info. You can pledge as little as $4.17/month or, if you don't want to commit to a pledge you can simply choose to make a one time donation.

https://rb1gbuildcaptains.com/campaigns/captain-margaret-sherman#/

Reactions: RUonBrain
April was a good month .. need to continue to see the number of donors increase. Only 2,500 is still not acceptable to me and many others. We have more season ticket accounts than that, a multiple of that number of people on this board daily, etc.

Updated as of today. It's only up ~$300k in two months time. That's not gonna get it done.

Last edited:
Updated as of today. It's only up ~$300k in two months time. That's not gonna get it done.
I mean honestly how much can the average person donate. 300k in a month is a hell of a lot of money for a bunch of middle class people. We simply need more big donors. Is JnJ on that list? You know the largest and most profitable pharmaceutical company in the world whose headquarters are literally 100 feet from Old Queens? What about David Stern. He's worth 30-40 million.

We need those types of donors.

Ticket reps were pushing donated tickets for military game, not B1G build fund during renewals. At least in my personal experience. I think that's a worthy cause on its own, but every single ticket holder account should have at the very least made a donation at some point towards the B1G Build. I'm stopping myself short of saying it should be mandatory. By looking at the numbers, I would guess we don't even have half the season ticket holder accounts donated toward the Build Fund.

I mean honestly how much can the average person donate. 300k in a month is a hell of a lot of money for a bunch of middle class people. We simply need more big donors. Is JnJ on that list? You know the largest and most profitable pharmaceutical company in the world whose headquarters are literally 100 feet from Old Queens? What about David Stern. He's worth 30-40 million.

That's a whopping 12 cents a year per alum for 5 years. You need a better excuse.

We need both many, many more small monthly donors, along with (many) big donors writing nice checks

That's a whopping 12 cents a year per alum for 5 years. You need a better excuse.
We only have 2,000 donors compared to 400,000 alumni. The people who are donating are donating a good amount of money. Many of our alumni don't care about football or don't care to donate.

We only have 2,000 donors compared to 400,000 alumni. The people who are donating are donating a good amount of money. Many of our alumni don't care about football or don't care to donate.
Agreed but you can't tell me have 398,000 alumni that don't give a damm about athletics.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
Agreed but you can't tell me have 398,000 alumni that don't give a damm about athletics.
Apparently not enough to donate. They care when Rutgers is good maybe.

How many of those alumni we're at rutgers when our football team was good? Not many.

Apparently not enough to donate. They care when Rutgers is good maybe.

How many of those alumni we're at rutgers when our football team was good? Not many.
Virtually none. Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, TCU, Baylor, Northwestern etc all have similar circumstances but their alum were proud to go there and donate. Nothing else.

You mean private schools with wealthy alumni?
Plenty of public school examples. Rutgers alumni just have little to no pride in the school. The AD begs and the alumni tighten the grip on their wallet.

Plenty of public school examples. Rutgers alumni just have little to no pride in the school. The AD begs and the alumni tighten the grip on their wallet.
What public school with the athletic history similar to ours? What type of donations do Iowa State or Oregon State get? Washington State? Temple?

What public school with the athletic history similar to ours? What type of donations do Iowa State or Oregon State get? Washington State? Temple?
1:200 alum give. Lowest anywhere. Stop with the excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT