ADVERTISEMENT

brandon paetzell Leaving Rutgers

Glory is still a junior in HS, I don't think he would be a factor in Paetzell's decision and he's not a commit anyway. Raimo a soph.
Probably just take Paetzells words at face value. It's probably going to cost his family a whole
lot more as well.

I'm getting a little nervous about Perrotti's tweeting. First with the support for Downey and then this one. While anybody is allowed their opinion, and while he's not officially on staff (worked for SKWC last year), I'm not sure how much our coaches want him being so vocal on an open forum like that.

I couldn't agree more. As an example of how his words could be harmful, I remember about about a month ago, Anthony "liked" a short quote placed on Twitter by a highly prized HS wrestler. So, Anthony obviously "follows" this athlete. If this athlete, in turn follows Anthony because of Anthony's affiliation with Rutgers, he will read these disparaging quotes. So, whether or not Anthony still has any role with SKWC or the team itself is immaterial because it seems like he does. As stated by a few others earlier, this is troubling and could be destructive.

My son explained to me that Paetzell is going back HOME to the Lehigh Valley. The whole area is like a wrestling country unto itself. It's also a recruiting area that is key to our long range plans. $$$$

I honestly believe it's not a big lose. I never want us to lose anyone but he will def not make or break us with his transfer. B1G isn't for everyone. Just look at all the top notch blue chip recruits PS will have not in the lineup in the next few years. They will have studs burning years to be a 2 year AA or a 2 year finalist instead of a 4 year starter somewhere else and be a face for the program

Reactions: KidDagger
Practice today was incredible. Had 20 or more in the room in off season including Tyler Graff, Perrotti, big Wilkins (currently 303) and little Raimo as well as Kyle DiNapoli ex Vorhees) who is transferring here from George Mason. All of the coaches were there and it was a spirited get after it. Wonderful seeing Graff go at it with Raimo. Good lesson for the youn man. Wilking gives Gross a big guy to roll around with there. Our coaches are all over it and developing these kids is showing. The new weight guy last year is killing it in morning lifts. Our boy Richie Lewis is back and working with Donny P twice a week. Going to be a fun year folks. Get your season tickets. Firestone coming adds more depth.

How do Gross, Mulligan, Gravina and Correnti look in practice? Going up against a 300+ lb guy in practice has to be a crash course in strength building on the fly.

Mackall is a full go and will be at Universities. Probably not at full capability since he has not wrestled competitively in a year. Good to have him back and he is slapped together. Gross, Correnti and Mulligan are all doing great.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm getting a little nervous about Perrotti's tweeting. First with the support for Downey and then this one. While anybody is allowed their opinion, and while he's not officially on staff (worked for SKWC last year), I'm not sure how much our coaches want him being so vocal on an open forum like that.

WNG: What is going on with Perrotti? He is starting to be embarrassment to the program.

WNG: What is going on with Perrotti? He is starting to be embarrassment to the program.

Why, b/c he spoke the truth? Paetzell is leaving due to competition after gaining great experience at RU. RU put in a ton of resources to develop him and he just picks up and leaves when competition rolls in. Other kids didn't leave when Paetzell was coming in... Whatever.

WNG: What is going on with Perrotti? He is starting to be embarrassment to the program.[/QUOTE
C'mon, that seems a bit too harsh/an overstatement. My only point is that discretion is the better part of valor sometimes. Perrotti was and is a good ambassador for Rutgers Wrestling.

Perrotti tweets aside, I do wonder how much the Firestone transfer played into this decision.

Eitherway, best of luck to Brandon.

Perrotti tweets aside, I do wonder how much the Firestone transfer played into this decision.

Eitherway, best of luck to Brandon.

I liked Paetzell did a good job this year. My guess is ----he felt he might not be able to beat Mackall. Firestone is not a 125lber, so the only way he comes into play if Paetzell is thinking after a redshirt year he will be a 133lber? At this time I cant see Brandon as a 133lber, he would get horsed around.

Reactions: RU93
I really have no issue with Perrotti's tweets. If his response was being truthful, Paetzell said he was going to Lehigh because they are a better program. I have zero issues with AP calling him out on that -- and neither will any recruits.
Lehigh being better than Rutgers is bullshit. We are neck and neck as a program...2-2 in the last 4 duals vs Lehigh. Once the B1G money rolls in along with the B1G wrestlers we are acquiring, Lehigh will be behind us as a program.

Reactions: RU93
If Brandon wants to go work out with an NCAA champ for a year and Scotty Parker fine. Tyler Graff is a PAN Am champ and Scotty Del is even in bouts with Parker so the difference is minimal at best. We had to separate BP and Del because Del was beating up on him in practice. What was that saying, flight or fight?

I liked Paetzell did a good job this year. My guess is ----he felt he might not be able to beat Mackall. Firestone is not a 125lber, so the only way he comes into play if Paetzell is thinking after a redshirt year he will be a 133lber? At this time I cant see Brandon as a 133lber, he would get horsed around.

This is true. Perhaps the timing of it all was purely coincidental with Firestone coming on board and Brandon really just wanted to be closer to home.

I really have no issue with Perrotti's tweets. If his response was being truthful, Paetzell said he was going to Lehigh because they are a better program. I have zero issues with AP calling him out on that -- and neither will any recruits.

Wrestling is a different animal. You can call guys out for not being up to your standard of toughness. It's a beautiful thing and it says a lot about what type of killers we want in the room.

Wrestling is a different animal. You can call guys out for not being up to your standard of toughness. It's a beautiful thing and it says a lot about what type of killers we want in the room.
Exactly...I consider Perrotti calling out Paetzall the exact opposite of embarrassing. Wrestling, just like football, is a highly mental sport and I want that bloodthirsty, killer instinct to permeate through the whole team. If you initiate intimidation, you've won half the battle already.

Questioning his "toughness" after most (if not all) posters praised Brandon throughout the year for stepping in as a true-frosh and doing a heck of job competing seems unfair to me. I get that he is no longer a Knight, but we're better than that.

Not to sound like a gentle snowflake, but let's not lose sight of the fact he's just a kid.

Additionally, I'd prefer people in leadership positions (i.e., coaches such as Perrotti) carry themselves with a bit more restraint.

Brandon is a kid and a nice one. Was all in for RU and if he feels his future would be better served at Lehigh so be it and that is his choice. It does not question his toughness but that he may have felt that after his red shirt year next year, he would not have been 1st string at RU. Much the same as Dippery decided who is a great kid. Perrotti is not officially an RU coach or SKWC coach I believe so that is not a violation of his contract as he may not have one. He helps out by volunteering his services now. So he would fall into the category of you or me tweeting. Thank God I don't tweet and never want to learn how to tweet. I am lucky I can type this.

This thread is one big fat SMH. Some of you have got to be kidding with what you posted here, especially the resident insider. Wngarbarini – you said thank G-d you don’t tweet but you should keep in mind this is a public message board, visible to the whole world - same as a tweet.

Being over-recruited, or losing a spot is a fact of life in wrestling, but to have this turn so fast from BP being a touted, scholarship kid, to being trashed by those close to the program, is inexcusable. Nothing good comes out of that. The kid went into the Big10 as a true freshman, is that not worth some respect?

It would be a class move by the COACHES to publicly wish BP well.

You think other kids and coaches aren’t watching this?

Brandon is a kid and a nice one. Was all in for RU and if he feels his future would be better served at Lehigh so be it and that is his choice. It does not question his toughness but that he may have felt that after his red shirt year next year, he would not have been 1st string at RU. Much the same as Dippery decided who is a great kid. Perrotti is not officially an RU coach or SKWC coach I believe so that is not a violation of his contract as he may not have one. He helps out by volunteering his services now. So he would fall into the category of you or me tweeting. Thank God I don't tweet and never want to learn how to tweet. I am lucky I can type this.
This thread is one big fat SMH. Some of you have got to be kidding with what you posted here, especially the resident insider. Wngarbarini – you said thank G-d you don’t tweet but you should keep in mind this is a public message board, visible to the whole world - same as a tweet.

Being over-recruited, or losing a spot is a fact of life in wrestling, but to have this turn so fast from BP being a touted, scholarship kid, to being trashed by those close to the program, is inexcusable. Nothing good comes out of that. The kid went into the Big10 as a true freshman, is that not worth some respect?

It would be a class move by the COACHES to publicly wish BP well.

You think other kids and coaches aren’t watching this?

He's to be respected for what he did but let's not forget he
quit on his coaches and team! Kids and coaches might think there's
something wrong if they weren't a little emotional about this. Good
luck to him but I don't feel like an apology or pat on the back is needed.

Reactions: Leonard23
He's to be respected for what he did but let's not forget he
quit on his coaches and team! Kids and coaches might think there's
something wrong if they weren't a little emotional about this. Good
luck to him but I don't feel like an apology or pat on the back is needed.

There's obviously no need for a pat on the back or an apology. It's part of the sport - everyone knows the coaches will always be recruiting for the best kids they can get and the best guy gets the spot. The roster is tiny it's clearly beneficial to both the program and the kid if a wrestler buried on the roster decides to leave.

But how about showing a little class? Why would anyone think it makes sense to publicly trash a popular local kid who chooses to leave after apparently getting squeezed out? It can only have a negative impact on the reputation of the program. If your game is to try to over-recruit at all weights and get the best possible kids regardless of roster need, then you need to avoid ticking people off, because it's gonna keep some prospects away.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Ro89
This is a public messsge board but so don't think the people following this thread approaches those following teeets. I never said anything negative about Brandon. I happen to be very fond of him. I hope he does well at Lehigh except when he wrestles an RU kid. I happen to know what happens in that room as I am there very often. I agree about not trashing a kid. He tried hard but was overmatched against the better kids. Fact. Hope he muscles up during his red shirt year.

There's obviously no need for a pat on the back or an apology. It's part of the sport - everyone knows the coaches will always be recruiting for the best kids they can get and the best guy gets the spot. The roster is tiny it's clearly beneficial to both the program and the kid if a wrestler buried on the roster decides to leave.

But how about showing a little class? Why would anyone think it makes sense to publicly trash a popular local kid who chooses to leave after apparently getting squeezed out? It can only have a negative impact on the reputation of the program. If your game is to try to over-recruit at all weights and get the best possible kids regardless of roster need, then you need to avoid ticking people off, because it's gonna keep some prospects away.

Nobody trashed anybody , especially any of our program insiders.. you're overreacting.

You are right though, no need to get on someone's case if we don't know all the details , but we had one of our own (perrotti) say something and we trusted his feeling on it.

Next man up. No parting gifts when you can't make it here.

But how about showing a little class? .
Class begets class. The kid threw RU under the bus as he walked out the door. That's not class and his statement upon leaving reciprocated a corresponding response. Doesn't make either side right, but the initiator should expect the same type of treatment he bestowed on to others. Sometimes there is a need to speak up and protect your own house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Underdogs88
Class begets class. The kid threw RU under the bus as he walked out the door. That's not class and his statement upon leaving reciprocated a corresponding response. Doesn't make either side right, but the initiator should expect the same type of treatment he bestowed on to others. Sometimes there is a need to speak up and protect your own house.

You couldn't be more more wrong.

Reactions: dicemen99
You couldn't be more more wrong.
How so? Do you feel it's OK for someone to disparage your program without a rebuttal defending it? If Perrotti didn't state his opinion on the situation we wouldn't have another view point on what transpired. All anyone would have is Paetzell's opinion that he wanted to go to a superior program and that we couldn't provide him with the necessary tools to compete. You reap what you sow.

How so? Do you feel it's OK for someone to disparage your program without a rebuttal defending it? If Perrotti didn't state his opinion on the situation we wouldn't have another view point on what transpired. All anyone would have is Paetzell's opinion that he wanted to go to a superior program and that we couldn't provide him with the necessary tools to compete. You reap what you sow.

He did not disparage anything or anyone. Perrotti made the situation worse. Goodale should tell AP to calm down with Twitter'
Read Paetzell's words, he just felt like getting closer to home would be better for him. You know why kids from Pburg, Easton, Beca etc gravitate to Pa schools ? Because thats how they are raised.

Last edited:
He did not disparage anything or anyone. Knuckleheads like Perrotti made the situation worse. Goodale should tell AP to STFU or drop him from the SKWC, he's a blabbermouth. Stick to digging ditches.
Read Paetzell's words, he just felt like getting closer to home would be better for him. You know why kids from Pburg, Easton, Beca etc gravitate to Pa schools ? Because thats how they are raised.
Maybe I misconstrued his statements. Probably looked too deeply into them, but these are what formed my misguided opinion.
" at Lehigh I would have a national champion. You can't beat that"
"I'll be getting better wrestling guys like that"
"Once I decided to leave and got my release I felt like a new person."
"My attitude towards everything changed."
"I lacked motivation and was stressed".

Maybe I misconstrued his statements. Probably looked too deeply into them, but these are what formed my misguided opinion.
" at Lehigh I would have a national champion. You can't beat that"

"I'll be getting better wrestling guys like that"
"Once I decided to leave and got my release I felt like a new person."
"My attitude towards everything changed."
"I lacked motivation and was stressed".

First 3 quotes I remember reading and seem fine to me.
Don't see the last 2 quotes, where's your link ? , and even if true. what's the big deal ?
Paetzell didn't seem to want to talk but was pressed by reporters. The kid is a Boy Scout,, yet some want to rip him apart.

He did not disparage anything or anyone. Knuckleheads like Perrotti made the situation worse. Goodale should tell AP to STFU or drop him from the SKWC, he's a blabbermouth. Stick to digging ditches.
Seriously?? He was just expressing his raw authentic feelings. AP would defend our program till the end.

Reactions: Underdogs88
After reading Brandon's statements, it's hard to come to the conclusion he threw Rutgers under the bus. In fact, he went out of his way to make sure he didn't do that.

Before all you Monday morning quarterbacks start badmouthing AP did you ever think for one minute he knows the real truth. Maybe you should ask BP's father why BP left. You can't control the situation in college like you could in HS. Maybe he did not like what he was told by the coaches. You all need to relax.

First 3 quotes I remember reading and seem fine to me.
Don't see the last 2 quotes, where's your link ? , and even if true. what's the big deal ?
Paetzell didn't seem to want to talk but was pressed by reporters. The kid is a Boy Scout,, yet some want to rip him apart.
In the linked article the op posted there's another link. I'm not one to make stuff up to make a point, I try to do some research before I counterpoint. Like I mentioned I may have misjudged the context of the statements and could see where others might as well.

Abro I have always considered you a fair weather fan. So basically you need to STFU. Don't test me.

BTW after AP posted his tweets he volunteered his time to help the team out. To the best of my knowledge he was not criticized by the coaches by his tweets. So what does that tell you about this situation. BP said Lehigh was a better program then RU. If any of you are not offended by that statement then your not a loyal RU fan.

Reactions: RickB113
Abro I have always considered you a fair weather fan. So basically you need to STFU. Don't test me.

lol ! Why should I care who you are? I speak what I truly feel. I graduated RU in 1975 and have seen almost every home football game and many home BB games and wrestling matches since 1971. I've officiated for many years for the NJSIAA. I sit in Section 127 Row 12, seat 3. I tailgate w friends at Olde Queens Island near Gates A/B. I'm the easiest guy to find. Come on by, ask for Abro, everyone there will point me out.

ADVERTISEMENT