ADVERTISEMENT

Calling RU72/Richard Kent

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
You've been very quiet. What are you hearing/thinking about the team? I know you're only posting on the Round Table so would appreciate any insight.

Pretty focused on preparing my broadcast of Princeton-Yale tonight,but will chime in since you asked:
The TRO filed on behalf of Williams is certainly meritorious at law and I would hope that it is granted before the Michigan game. I would grant it if I was sitting on it.

Gavin sat largely because of 2 fouls and not because of his defense,which has indeed been porous. Oskar is not playing more minutes than him going forward.

I am hopeful that Jay Young will be back next season and it is more than pure speculation.

Derek isn't going anywhere and will certainly be a rotation player next year.

Gavin will never be a portal kid. It is not who he is or who his family is.

I am dubious that Princeton will be on the schedule. Mitch has offered a 2-1 and I don't see it happening.

It is maybe like 25-75 that Cliff will be back.

UConn is getting NBA calls about Cam who should get a look there and is no. 71 on one pre-draft board.

I have no indication that Rutgers will be in the Jimmy V. from my inquiries,but there are still 2 spots open.

Pretty focused on preparing my broadcast of Princeton-Yale tonight,but will chime in since you asked:
The TRO filed on behalf of Williams is certainly meritorious at law and I would hope that it is granted before the Michigan game. I would grant it if I was sitting on it.

Gavin sat largely because of 2 fouls and not because of his defense,which has indeed been porous. Oskar is not playing more minutes than him going forward.

I am hopeful that Jay Young will be back next season and it is more than pure speculation.

I am dubious that Princeton will be on the schedule. Mitch has offered a 2-1 and I don't see it happening.

UConn is getting NBA calls about Cam who should get a look there and is no. 71 on one pre-draft board.

I have no indication that Rutgers will be in the Jimmy V. from my inquiries,but there are still 2 spots open.
What about Mag?

Please stop with the "One NBA scout told me they have player X on their draft board."
We've already been down that road with Tosan and Dingle.

Dubious about Princeton on the schedule?
Wasn't that the prevailing "insider" theme (HC Pike will never play Princeton) that turned out to be completely wrong?
I'll just wait for official announcements on the schedule.

A few different people have suggested to me that Rutgers could be playing Duke. It would be a neutral venue,so it could possibly be the Jimmy V. The Jimmy V. is focused on UNC,Duke and UConn for tv eyeballs and it is Duke's turn.

Please stop with the "One NBA scout told me they have player X on their draft board."
We've already been down that road with Tosan and Dingle.

Dubious about Princeton on the schedule?
Wasn't that the prevailing "insider" theme (HC Pike will never play Princeton) that turned out to be completely wrong?
I'll just wait for official announcements on the schedule.
My man Nick-Tosan is on the Grizzlies. Check their roster. I never said an NBA scout told me anything. Cam is on 3 draft board projections. Dingle is making $500000 plus at St. John's and I never said he would be a sure fire NBAer. Steve wouldn't play Princeton until the Gazelle group put together a Princeton-Mississippi State package, which he had to agree to because there were no other neutral site options remaining. And you might want to check the spelling of acumen. You're puerile hatred is hysterical. Go have an ice cream on me at the Pru and repeat your prophesy that UConn and Cam stink.

This post was certainly meritorious. 😉

Thank you Richard for sharing your thoughts and insights. On another note, I am curious if there has ever been discussions about scheduling a game at the Palestra. I think it would be a great venue for our team to play in.in , esp our incoming class with Ace and Dylan. Maybe we could play Princeton? Honestly, though any opponent would be good.

its criminal that Pike with Ace/Dylan still is a stubborn mule who refuses to take advantage by playing in Jimmie V
its called being smart. Lose 13 games you probably don't make the NCAA tournament. Why play a game that is almost a guaranteed loss.

its criminal that Pike with Ace/Dylan still is a stubborn mule who refuses to take advantage by playing in Jimmie V
The mentality is scheduling a easy out of conference schedule to enhance chances of winning 20 games.With Bailey and Harper the focus should be marketing the team in high profile games /tournaments to enhance future recruiting.

My man Nick-Tosan is on the Grizzlies. Check their roster. I never said an NBA scout told me anything. Cam is on 3 draft board projections. Dingle is making $500000 plus at St. John's and I never said he would be a sure fire NBAer. Steve wouldn't play Princeton until the Gazelle group put together a Princeton-Mississippi State package, which he had to agree to because there were no other neutral site options remaining. And you might want to check the spelling of acumen. You're puerile hatred is hysterical. Go have an ice cream on me at the Pru and repeat your prophesy that UConn and Cam stink.

Hope you have plenty of ice cream ready. Where shall we start?
I'll stick to just the topics at hand and not bring up the "Rutgers is losing a player but it'll be okay" (implying Mag to set to transfer).

Tosan:
Tosan went undrafted and did not get a Two-Way Contract from a team.
Ultimately he joined the Pistons G-League team and was never called up to the NBA team.
This week Memphis signed him to a 10-day hardship contract. It's not a normal 10-day contract to fill an empty roster spot. Because Memphis has so many injuries - they got an exception to sign extra players (above the 15 man roster limit) until players return from injury. This makes it very unlikely Tosan (or any hardship 10-day contract) player gets signed for the full season.
His 1st game on the roster was last night: DNP-Coach's Decision

Dingle:
  • I still think there is a 50% chance he is in the NBA in September and if not St John's should dance,but are not close to a Natty contender.
    (Note: this was in May 2023 after he had already not been invited to either the NBA Draft combine or the G-League Combine. When I asked about how it's 50-50 he's in the NBA when he didn't even get a combine invite, I don't believe an answer was given.)
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/jordan-dingle-to-portal.260502/post-6296013
  • This is only his third year playing. He has one more at Penn and if he is not drafted, wants to continue at a university with academic credibility and a strong MBA program as he is at Wharton now.
    (Note: This was the past off-season before he ultimately left Penn and didn't get his Wharton degree because he transferred to St. Johns and their great academic credibility with a strong MBA program. Just guessing as I know nothing about St. Johns academics.)
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/dingle.257746/post-6182660
  • I have many NBA scout friends.They know the NBA better than you and better than me. No one doubts that he is an NBA player.He has an NBA body.He has an NBA release and he has a great athletic pedigree.
    (
    Note: This is from a private direct message that I didn't reply to. Maybe I"m wrong but seems to imply you are saying he's a sure fire NBA player.)

Princeton:

Spelling of "acumen"
  • I didn't put that in my post but good attempt at a "diss" I guess.
Prophesy that UConn and Cam stink
  • A prophesy is a prediction. Please cite any post of such. I'll save you the time - it's not there.
  • Perhaps you are thinking of my comments when I attended the UConn-SHU game where I said the following:
    UConn stinks. Defense is terrible.
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...rning-cam-spencer-mention.271263/post-6613278
    SH came back with Klingan out to end the 1 st half. He just went all way back to locket room with an ankle injury. UConn defense terrible without him.
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-shu-uconn.271454/post-6613310

That was a game they lost to Seton Hall by 15pts. They did stink and their defense was terrible. Would you disagree?

Regardless, those are still not a "prophesy" since they were said during the event and not a prediction before the event.

Last edited:
How has Pike been successful?

Recruiting under the radar players
Building program with defense
Having success with upperclassmen

Ace and Dylan are going to come in to the program just like Gavin having never had to play defense. There is a huge learning curve.

The script for success has been be Top 25 on D and be good enough on offense to win. Now he is attempting to flip it.

Ace and Dylan are going to come in to the program just like Gavin having never had to play defense. There is a huge learning curve.

The script for success has been be Top 25 on D and be good enough on offense to win. Now he is attempting to flip it.

You are living in a climate that no longer exists

What do you define success 19-11?

Have to do better than bubbling every season

You are living in a climate that no longer exists

What do you define success 19-11?

Have to do better than bubbling every season
cmon bac....we have both been thru years of hell.

Sign me up for bubbling every year as you never know when you get lightning in the bottle.

ARe you really ready to give up on a guy if he can't take us to a perenial top 15 program?

cmon bac....we have both been thru years of hell.

Sign me up for bubbling every year as you never know when you get lightning in the bottle.

ARe you really ready to give up on a guy if he can't take us to a perenial top 15 program?

Not giving up but Pike WILL have to adapt. Its a great sign that we have 2 one and dones. Its shows a willingness to win

Gavin needs to bulk up. Ace is a grown man and Dylan has a pretty solid frame as well. Inexperience isn’t really the biggest issue there in my mind and don’t think the latter two are comparable to Gavin.

Reactions: Rutgers36
Duke and Kentucky dont have Simpson as their 1st team point guard and Hyatt as 1st string forward.

Our awful talent is being masked by our defense.
So then next year when we will have better talent and probably similar defense to what we’ve had for 7 years now, we should be good. You keep dwelling on age and ignoring that Dylan and Ace are likely top 5 picks and day 1 NBA starters.

So then next year when we will have better talent and probably similar defense to what we’ve had for 7 years now, we should be good. You keep dwelling on age and ignoring that Dylan and Ace are likely top 5 picks and day 1 NBA starters.
watch film of Dylan and Ace in HS or AAU....they don't play defense.

They will play offense with their heart rates at bare minimum 10-15 BPM higher than they are playing offense now. That will be a huge adjustment. There is no way our defense will not skip a beat next year with them playing 35+ minutes. Not happening.

Gavin needs to bulk up. Ace is a grown man and Dylan has a pretty solid frame as well. Inexperience isn’t really the biggest issue there in my mind and don’t think the latter two are comparable to Gavin.
Gavin is a grown man too....without muscles.

watch film of Dylan and Ace in HS or AAU....they don't play defense.

They will play offense with their heart rates at bare minimum 10-15 BPM higher than they are playing offense now. That will be a huge adjustment. There is no way our defense will not skip a beat next year with them playing 35+ minutes. Not happening.
Dylan’s defense has been praised by scouts. I don’t think a Ruppert Park exhibition should change that and Pike has proven he can get the most out of players on D. We should have a top 3-5 defense next year, especially if Jay Young comes back.
Gavin is a grown man too....without muscles.
If you’re really trying to equate Gavin’s and Ace’s builds then you’re not having a serious conversation. Ace has an NBA body in high school. Gavin needs more time to fill out.

Reactions: cshelley
Dylan’s defense has been praised by scouts. I don’t think a Ruppert Park exhibition should change that and Pike has proven he can get the most out of players on D. We should have a top 3-5 defense next year, especially if Jay Young comes back.

If you’re really trying to equate Gavin’s and Ace’s builds then you’re not having a serious conversation. Ace has an NBA body in high school. Gavin needs more time to fill out.
I have watched 2 of dylans hs games. He isnt expending energy on D. Doesnt mean pike wont get him to. Even if he does start playing defense he now is expending energy on both sides of the court. He has never had to do it.

With my heart rate below 80 i could make 50-60% of 3 pointers (high school line). Bump that up to 120 and it is a completrly different story.

Watch players in warm up. The good ones rarely miss. Bunp the heart rate up a different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT