ADVERTISEMENT

Calling RU72/Richard Kent

I think it's a very sound thought process for Pike to not want to load up the OOC schedule with all tough games

With all these freshman it's likely we are better end of season than the start. If we take too many losses early we might play ourselves out of the tournament before we get a chance to hit our stride

I think it's a very sound thought process for Pike to not want to load up the OOC schedule with all tough games

With all these freshman it's likely we are better end of season than the start. If we take too many losses early we might play ourselves out of the tournament before we get a chance to hit our stride

Hes going to have to schedule a tough game

If the program is afraid with getting one and dones rated #2 and #3 then what really is the point of all this

watch film of Dylan and Ace in HS or AAU....they don't play defense.

They will play offense with their heart rates at bare minimum 10-15 BPM higher than they are playing offense now. That will be a huge adjustment. There is no way our defense will not skip a beat next year with them playing 35+ minutes. Not happening.
Bruh, we are not Loyola Marymount. What Rutgers does is not that physically hard.

I have watched 2 of dylans hs games. He isnt expending energy on D. Doesnt mean pike wont get him to. Even if he does start playing defense he now is expending energy on both sides of the court. He has never had to do it.

With my heart rate below 80 i could make 50-60% of 3 pointers (high school line). Bump that up to 120 and it is a completrly different story.

Watch players in warm up. The good ones rarely miss. Bunp the heart rate up a different story.
Pretty impressive, I’m 100% sure that your shooting rivals 2 NBA lottery picks with or without elevated heart rates

Pretty impressive, I’m 100% sure that your shooting rivals 2 NBA lottery picks with or without elevated heart rates
Dylan and Ace in an empty gym can make 70-75 3 pointers out of 100.

Big difference between a set shot and a jump shot. Shooting a basketball is not a difficult thing for some to master in a low pressure setting, without a hand in your face and a low rate heart rate.

watch film of Dylan and Ace in HS or AAU....they don't play defense.

They will play offense with their heart rates at bare minimum 10-15 BPM higher than they are playing offense now. That will be a huge adjustment. There is no way our defense will not skip a beat next year with them playing 35+ minutes. Not happening.
I felt that way going into this year and look at this year’s defense. Pike will get them to play defense. Not worried about that. Maybe a small drop off but pike has proven he can get it done on D.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I felt that way going into this year and look at this year’s defense. Pike will get them to play defense. Not worried about that. Maybe a small drop off but pike has proven he can get it done on D.
He probably will get Ace and Dylan to play D, but it will impact their offense.

I realize Ron and Dylan Harper are 2 different people. Take a look at Ron's freshman year. It is a huge adjustment to go from not having to play defense to having to play defense. It impacts you on offense.

This . Play seton hall at the RAC , Jimmy V againat duke in the garden and 9 layups

The goal in November is to enter December to find a split in the first two big ten games , seton hall and one marquee OOC….and enter January 1-1/11-2.

January is gonna be a roller coaster with a young team trying to mold…and your goal is to leave January 5-5 in confrence, 15-6 overall, with 10 to play and out put it together in February and March by winning 7 or 8 of ten games and be 12-8/22-9 or 13-7/23-8….

Messing around with the OOC and going 7-4 versus 10-1…do you want to be 12-8/19-11 headed into the big ten tourney

we will be ready for the big ten tourney and the ncaa if we develop

With a young group , You play November to get ready for the four game in 10 day stretch in the first third of December to figure out what we have , then have 3 weeks to evaluate , rest , improve and get ready for the big ten season. And you play January for February so be as hot and cohesive as possible for March .

Young teams get burned out . Must stay fresh and not overschedule early

He probably will get Ace and Dylan to play D, but it will impact their offense.

I realize Ron and Dylan Harper are 2 different people. Take a look at Ron's freshman year. It is a huge adjustment to go from not having to play defense to having to play defense. It impacts you on offense.
Superior players differentiate because they are able to maintain consistency when under mental/physical duress. None of us really knows what will happen with Ace/Dylan.... Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, but prospects are generally not ranked in the top 5 lightly....they are overly scrutinized.

I think you're missing a couple important points in your campaign to not have Pike bring in high level recruits. Not all of the middling recruits he brings in perform as planned. Many end up transferring after 1-2 years and he brings in other portal transfers who are here only 1-2 years. So there is a significant amount of churn either way. Further, not all upper classmen are able to perform as planned on O /D. This season is a testament to that. Also, while its true that Dylan/Ace will not reach their peak as freshman, its also true that they are very likely starting at a much higher level than most middle recruits in terms of talent/performance.

This team can always go back to middling. I think most of us are excited to see something different and with higher expectations.

Superior players differentiate because they are able to maintain consistency when under mental/physical duress. None of us really knows what will happen with Ace/Dylan.... Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, but prospects are generally not ranked in the top 5 lightly....they are overly scrutinized.

I think you're missing a couple important points in your campaign to not have Pike bring in high level recruits. Not all of the middling recruits he brings in perform as planned. Many end up transferring after 1-2 years and he brings in other portal transfers who are here only 1-2 years. So there is a significant amount of churn either way. Further, not all upper classmen are able to perform as planned on O /D. This season is a testament to that. Also, while its true that Dylan/Ace will not reach their peak as freshman, its also true that they are very likely starting at a much higher level than most middle recruits in terms of talent/performance.

This team can always go back to middling. I think most of us are excited to see something different and with higher expectations.
my level of conviction that Pike is making a mistake is not very high. I very well could be very wrong here....and i really hope i am.

The reality is i have no idea how things work in college basketball. I don't know where the money comes from. If there is/was any impact of Ace and Dylan being here with money available to others.

I do stand by my view that it is going to be a big adjustment for both Pike and Ace and Dylan next year.

Anybody can manage short. Anybody can manage long. Balancing those two things is what management is. - Jack Welch

What’s true in business is true in sports. Pike isn’t stupid. He knows he’ll have very young team next year and can’t rush things but he also knows he has a great opportunity to market RU basketball for the future. He’s eager to schedule a couple of meaningful OOC games.

Ace and Dylan could’ve played anywhere but they chose one of the most defensive minded coaches in the country. They don’t expect that they’ll simply be running up and down the court not playing defense. In fact, quite the opposite — learning defense from someone like Pike will help them at the next level.

I have watched 2 of dylans hs games. He isnt expending energy on D. Doesnt mean pike wont get him to. Even if he does start playing defense he now is expending energy on both sides of the court. He has never had to do it.

With my heart rate below 80 i could make 50-60% of 3 pointers (high school line). Bump that up to 120 and it is a completrly different story.

Watch players in warm up. The good ones rarely miss. Bunp the heart rate up a different story.
You can make 50-60% 3 pointers?!?! Give Pike a call!!!

my level of conviction that Pike is making a mistake is not very high. I very well could be very wrong here....and i really hope i am.

The reality is i have no idea how things work in college basketball. I don't know where the money comes from. If there is/was any impact of Ace and Dylan being here with money available to others.

I do stand by my view that it is going to be a big adjustment for both Pike and Ace and Dylan next year.
Honestly, next year is going to be the most highly anticipated year in Rutgers Basketball history with the 2 highest ranked recruits coming to play for us. Yet you continually shit on everything about next year because we have not just one but two one and dones.

You want Pike to stick to recruiting under the radar guys, Well this year is what you get with that philosophy. Your thinking is so shortsighted on all of the benefits these 2 highly ranked players bring to this program in the longer term, especially if they are successful going forward into their NBA careers.

Open your mind up to the tremendous benefits next year can bring us and stop focusing on the potential struggles of 2 freshmen. Most of us know there will be a transition period for these 2. You see people expressing that in their posts in this very thread. But what a wild ride next year has the potential to be.

Hope you have plenty of ice cream ready. Where shall we start?
I'll stick to just the topics at hand and not bring up the "Rutgers is losing a player but it'll be okay" (implying Mag to set to transfer).

Tosan:
Tosan went undrafted and did not get a Two-Way Contract from a team.
Ultimately he joined the Pistons G-League team and was never called up to the NBA team.
This week Memphis signed him to a 10-day hardship contract. It's not a normal 10-day contract to fill an empty roster spot. Because Memphis has so many injuries - they got an exception to sign extra players (above the 15 man roster limit) until players return from injury. This makes it very unlikely Tosan (or any hardship 10-day contract) player gets signed for the full season.
His 1st game on the roster was last night: DNP-Coach's Decision

Dingle:
  • I still think there is a 50% chance he is in the NBA in September and if not St John's should dance,but are not close to a Natty contender.
    (Note: this was in May 2023 after he had already not been invited to either the NBA Draft combine or the G-League Combine. When I asked about how it's 50-50 he's in the NBA when he didn't even get a combine invite, I don't believe an answer was given.)
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/jordan-dingle-to-portal.260502/post-6296013
  • This is only his third year playing. He has one more at Penn and if he is not drafted, wants to continue at a university with academic credibility and a strong MBA program as he is at Wharton now.
    (Note: This was the past off-season before he ultimately left Penn and didn't get his Wharton degree because he transferred to St. Johns and their great academic credibility with a strong MBA program. Just guessing as I know nothing about St. Johns academics.)
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/dingle.257746/post-6182660
  • I have many NBA scout friends.They know the NBA better than you and better than me. No one doubts that he is an NBA player.He has an NBA body.He has an NBA release and he has a great athletic pedigree.
    (
    Note: This is from a private direct message that I didn't reply to. Maybe I"m wrong but seems to imply you are saying he's a sure fire NBA player.)

Princeton:

Spelling of "acumen"
  • I didn't put that in my post but good attempt at a "diss" I guess.
Prophesy that UConn and Cam stink
  • A prophesy is a prediction. Please cite any post of such. I'll save you the time - it's not there.
  • Perhaps you are thinking of my comments when I attended the UConn-SHU game where I said the following:
    UConn stinks. Defense is terrible.
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...rning-cam-spencer-mention.271263/post-6613278
    SH came back with Klingan out to end the 1 st half. He just went all way back to locket room with an ankle injury. UConn defense terrible without him.
    https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-shu-uconn.271454/post-6613310

That was a game they lost to Seton Hall by 15pts. They did stink and their defense was terrible. Would you disagree?

Regardless, those are still not a "prophesy" since they were said during the event and not a prediction before the event.
Tosan played 16 min and scored his first points in the NBA yesterday.

Reactions: NickRU714
Tosan played 16 min and scored his first points in the NBA yesterday.

Correct.
Which was never the topic (despite the attempt at moving goalposts - moving away from draft results and onto NBA roster status).
Tosan wasn't drafted and didn't get a two way contract.

Saying "Cam is on two team draft board" is meaningless when previously it was "all 30 teams have come to see him".
As if it means anything.

So I reiterate my point - stop with the meaningless draft info as if it means something. Just like it didny with Tosan, it doesnt with Cam. (not you obviously the original poster propping up Cam).

Correct.
Which was never the topic (despite the attempt at moving goalposts - moving away from draft results and onto NBA roster status).
Tosan wasn't drafted and didn't get a two way contract.

Saying "Cam is on two team draft board" is meaningless when previously it was "all 30 teams have come to see him".
As if it means anything.

So I reiterate my point - stop with the meaningless draft info as if it means something. Just like it didny with Tosan, it doesnt with Cam. (not you obviously the original poster propping up Cam).
Not sure you picked the right day to downplay Cam..

Reactions: Scangg
Not sure you picked the right day to downplay Cam..

Who downplayed Cam?
Specifically his playing ability at UConn?
I'll save you the time looking for it. You won't find it.

The original statement was about Cam being on the draft boards of 2 teams.
I correctly pointed out that we've heard that before from the poster and it meant nothing (citation - Tosan who had the same "insider reports" but still went undrafted and didn't even get a 2 way contract.

Thanks. Very Fair view.

Thank you Richard for sharing your thoughts and insights. On another note, I am curious if there has ever been discussions about scheduling a game at the Palestra. I think it would be a great venue for our team to play in.in , esp our incoming class with Ace and Dylan. Maybe we could play Princeton? Honestly, though any opponent would be good.
The Palestra is a historical basketball mecca. Absolutely a must see venue. Saw Kelvin Troy drop 27 at the Palestra.

I would love a game there.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Do you really think RU should have said no to Ace and Dylan? He is also bringing in three other pretty good kids who are not one and done. BTW, in today's game everyone player should be considered a one and done
No how could you.

Agree with your last sentence

Hes going to have to schedule a tough game

If the program is afraid with getting one and dones rated #2 and #3 then what really is the point of all this
100% want to see a tough game or two OOC. Just don't overdo it. If we try to play too many and get off to a slow start with all the freshman then we run the risk of digging too big of a hole to climb out of

Reactions: Loyal-Son

I am with you because the mental game is just as important as the bball side. They are Frosh and if the supporting cast isn’t there (can’t rely on the other freshman solely and need competent upper classmen ) it will be a bumpy ride.

I do recognize neither has shied away from competition and am hopeful the team USA experience gave them a taste of the environment they will enter in the BIG.

Will need more horsepower to exceed and it puts a ton of pressure on Pike to get those guys in the portal.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

I think what your missing in the pessimism is the reason why the number 2 and 3 national recruits chose Rutgers. That’s important. These are guys who could’ve gone anywhere. We came up with “enough” money not to lose them, sure, but there’s no way they chose Rutgers because we were the highest bidder. They wanted to come here because of Pike - and that means they must respect his style which anyone watching even a little knows prioritizes D. This is very different from your next tier level recruits like Jaden Jones choosing RU where they might have a vision of being able to come here and just outscore everyone. When scouts rate you number 2 in the country - your not choosing Rutgers or any other school with this in the back of your mind as your reason. Your going to be starting from day 1 wherever you go no matter what.

What is this at the bottom of your posts?: "Hire based on coaching accumen - not what zip code they were born in"

Is that a signature or somethin'?

Yes. A signature that shows up under every post.
I think you can only see it on desktop and not mobile.

Context: I couldn't care less about "Rutgers hired a new LB coach. He's a great recruiter."
But can he actually coach?
Every hire for Schiano 2.0s first staff was "coaching? Doesn't matter. They can recruit!" I believe we even swapped the RB and OL coach at one point. Because it's so easy to just coach different position groups on the fly.

Basically the exact thing Syracuse did hiring HC Brown with minimal (at best) actual coaching experience.

How has Pike been successful?

Recruiting under the radar players
Building program with defense
Having success with upperclassmen

Ace and Dylan are going to come in to the program just like Gavin having never had to play defense. There is a huge learning curve.

The script for success has been be Top 25 on D and be good enough on offense to win. Now he is attempting to flip it.

I love Pike. We all do. He has also only won a single NCAA tournament game. Let’s try upgrading the talent level and see what happens.

Yes. A signature that shows up under every post.
I think you can only see it on desktop and not mobile.

Context: I couldn't care less about "Rutgers hired a new LB coach. He's a great recruiter."
But can he actually coach?
Every hire for Schiano 2.0s first staff was "coaching? Doesn't matter. They can recruit!" I believe we even swapped the RB and OL coach at one point. Because it's so easy to just coach different position groups on the fly.

Basically the exact thing Syracuse did hiring HC Brown with minimal (at best) actual coaching experience.
I guess that's the spelling that Richard was pointing to.

Reactions: NickRU714
I guess that's the spelling that Richard was pointing to.

Makes sense he'd worry about the spelling of a word.
Keeps the focus away from the "insider reports."

I couldn't even tell you when my signature was written. Forgot it was even there since you don't see signatures on mobile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT