ADVERTISEMENT

Certain Posters Should be Ashamed

It has really pissed me off over the last 24 hours to read all these negative posts about Pike and the coaching staff. The combined experience on this staff has forgotten more about basketball than the collective angry mob will ever know.

Pike and Co did not suddenly become dummies when the calendar flipped to 2021. I was infuriated by a few posters calling for his seat to be warm - they simply do not deserve the pleasure to be fans of this team and obviously have a very short memory that this job has been a coaching graveyard for the past 30 years.

What has changed in the last 2 weeks is that guy's with injuries are being forced to play more minutes than they should be, and in a very physical conference, our best big man is being forced to play tentative as he has good reason to believe he is being unfairly targeted by the refs. Those calling for Pike to get T'd up and show emotion are just idiots, a technical foul potentially loses us games, and Pike is certainly not a shrinking violet on the sidelines.

Finally, as Pike correctly pointed out yesterday, we thrive on transition. When we get outrebounded, we can't set up our transition game, and additionally, the huge foul disparity doesn't allow us to play transition basketball either.

Mac is back, which improves our defense, depth and FT shooting, getting Cliff back will improve MYLES, and most importantly, having time off will allow RHJ Geo and whoever else might be hurt, time to heal. Our best basketball is ahead of us, those negative posters don't deserve a seat on the bandwagon when it starts back up
I get what you're saying and sometimes find people's instant-negativity slightly irritating.

I'm more analytical than emotional about sports in general (unless I'm playing). So when things aren't going well, I either don't post much (applying the "say nothing if nothing nice to say" principle) or else my posts revolve around support for the team and/or my opinion(s) about what we might possibly do to fix any problems. Usually, at least.

But lots of sports fans are truly fanatical about it. Deeply emotional. Combine that with some that have a propensity for negativity and blame-mentality in all things and there are always going to be a few who feel it necessary to throw tantrums at the expense of the players or coaches (or each other).

I figure there's nothing wrong with it. Just a different way of being a fan and it's a free country. Is up to me to not let others negativity affect me.

Sports fans are gonna sports fan.

Reactions: ancienthooper
RuRahh, remember there are some clowns on the site who are pretend Rutgers fans. They are actually fans of other schools who have nothing better to do than come on our sites and be negative. It took me years to realize this. Some of them use Rutgers references in their names. Some are on here every single day and some only post when something bad happens-a kid drops out, a basketball or football loss to a minor school like Fordham or Temple. Just put them on ignore.
I have noticed, on the free FB forum, a pattern whereby the game threads slow down when things are going really well, resulting in fewer pages to the thread. But when things are going really poorly, the number of posts seem to explode and the page-count of the thread increases rapidly.

Not sure what that says about people. I guess misery really does love company. 😀

I get what you're saying and sometimes find people's instant-negativity slightly irritating.

I'm more analytical than emotional about sports in general (unless I'm playing). So when things aren't going well, I either don't post much (applying the "say nothing if nothing nice to say" principle) or else my posts revolve around support for the team and/or my opinion(s) about what we might possibly do to fix any problems. Usually, at least.

But lots of sports fans are truly fanatical about it. Deeply emotional. Combine that with some that have a propensity for

But lots of sports fans are truly fanatical about it. Deeply emotional. Combine that with some that have a propensity for negativity and blame-mentality in all things and there are always going to be a few who feel it necessary to throw tantrums at the expense of the players or coaches (or each other).

I figure there's nothing wrong with it. Just a different way of being a fan and it's a free country. Is up to me to not let others negativity affect me.

Sports fans are gonna sports fan.
“Is up to me to not let others negativity affect me.”

What gets me is the way certain posters turn on the players and coaches during periods of adversity. It goes beyond negativity and strikes at issues of loyalty and support when it’s most needed. Great lesson and message, though.

“Is up to me to not let others negativity affect me.”

What gets me is the way certain posters turn on the players and coaches during periods of adversity. It goes beyond negativity and strikes at issues of loyalty and support when it’s most needed. Great lesson and message, though.
I understand completely. It's a personality thing, I guess. Some people just get miserable when their team is losing.

Takes all kinds. Which keeps things interesting, at least.

It’s called sports talk and it’s been going on for every fan base for over a hundred years.
The Brooklyn fans called their team “da bums” with 5 hall of famers on the team
It wasn't "da bums" as in lousy players. It was more like from the real working class, other side of the tracks borough.

To go back to my OP, I have no problem with posters criticizing lack of hustle or poor shooting choices, etc. But it has been crystal clear that Pike has developed most every player far beyond their recruiting ratings and those who criticize him for his offensive scheme must be watching a different game because we are missing a ton of shots within 2-3 feet of the rim. If you watch the team after time outs, it's clear that a good offensive set is being run , Pike is doing everything possible except physically putting the ball in the basket.

The things that are coachable include rebounding, defense, hustle, player rotation and diagramming plays, and Pike has been above average to exceptional

It has really pissed me off over the last 24 hours to read all these negative posts about Pike and the coaching staff. The combined experience on this staff has forgotten more about basketball than the collective angry mob will ever know.

Pike and Co did not suddenly become dummies when the calendar flipped to 2021. I was infuriated by a few posters calling for his seat to be warm - they simply do not deserve the pleasure to be fans of this team and obviously have a very short memory that this job has been a coaching graveyard for the past 30 years.

What has changed in the last 2 weeks is that guy's with injuries are being forced to play more minutes than they should be, and in a very physical conference, our best big man is being forced to play tentative as he has good reason to believe he is being unfairly targeted by the refs. Those calling for Pike to get T'd up and show emotion are just idiots, a technical foul potentially loses us games, and Pike is certainly not a shrinking violet on the sidelines.

Finally, as Pike correctly pointed out yesterday, we thrive on transition. When we get outrebounded, we can't set up our transition game, and additionally, the huge foul disparity doesn't allow us to play transition basketball either.

Mac is back, which improves our defense, depth and FT shooting, getting Cliff back will improve MYLES, and most importantly, having time off will allow RHJ Geo and whoever else might be hurt, time to heal. Our best basketball is ahead of us, those negative posters don't deserve a seat on the bandwagon when it starts back up
Couldn't agree more...Same people who prob bought in to the 2 seed nonsense...

Reality is that we have a lot of bandwagon “fans”. We were pretty bad for decades and last years success and our early success this season brought a lot of new “fans” in. There’s also quite a few trolls that lurk these boards and stir the pot with the negative posts. Where were you guys during the Jordan, Rice, FHJr, Littlepage era’s when it was much worse. I get it, everything is not rosey right now, but I trust in Pike and the coaching staff to get us back to basics. Hopefully starting with D.
One thing I’ve learned over the years. Rutgers sports fans have an unusually large number of people with very low sports IQ.

It’s called sports talk and it’s been going on for every fan base for over a hundred years.
The Brooklyn fans called their team “da bums” with 5 hall of famers on the team
It was different then Zap. Trashing players face to face drunk in a bar is a lot different than posting on forums. Look at our country today. It’s all this Internet tough guy fighting that’s causing it along with the brutal media. Politicians are just riding the wave and watching us fight as they cash in. But I digress. I’m okay with sports talk live but feel there is no need to put every negative emotion that each of us have in a place that millions of people can see it.

Open the bars Murphy! We need an outlet to talk trash.

The combined experience on this staff has forgotten more about basketball than the collective angry mob will ever know.

Is that the problem?

Early this season.. when things were going very well.. a few people here posted how we STILL do not run an offense. That we have not yet installed an offense.

I did not think of that.. but on reading that and watching the games.. it is obviously true. Either that or the players choose not to run it while being forced into half-court possessions.

Reactions: bac2therac
It wasn't "da bums" as in lousy players. It was more like from the real working class, other side of the tracks borough.
Zappa, looked it up. The nickname was coined in the '30's when, in fact, the Dodgers weren't very good at all. It also came to incorporate the notion of a working class team from the other side of the tracks. So it had both elements associated with it. As far as I know the Dodger fans never tried to disassociate the team from "Dem Bums".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT