ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash at Arkansas

RUvictory

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Anyone else concerned about Ash's time at Arkansas and how Robb Smith turned around their defense when he left?

Reactions: Leonard23
I am. In addition to being concerned that:
1) Fans booed Laviano.
2) Ash is coaching the bowl game.
3) Julie dissed EL.
4) The Kurds are on the move.
5) GS didn't want us.
6) Rettig didn't get a fair shot.
7) Russo isn't euphoric.
8) We don't have an OC yet.
9) ISIS promotes Lone Wolf terrorism.
10) Ash hasn't bought a house yet.
11) Hobbs was seen cheering for SHU.
12) Barchi is Christie's puppet.
13) Coughlin is senile.
14) We shouldn't run a pro set.
Amongst other issues that make me want to whine and cry.

Not really. One year at the program. Hoping the results at Wisconsin and Ohio State are more indicative of his talent.

Grant ran a punt back in game to get us back in the game.

Yes he was there for one season before Belima started to turn the program around. OP FAIL.

He's attempting to turn the Rutgers defense around. OP, for the short term and until he can upgrade the talent, it's a legit concern.

We should worry about one season at a school that had neglected to recruit defensive players for a few seasons? (Ignoring that the defense at Arkansas was terrible this year.) How about the massive increase at Ohio State the last two seasons? Or his very good defenses at Wisconsin?

We are also not Arkansas. Why worry about the one bad season he has had, where there is clear underlying reasons for it. Unless one simply wants to worry and/or bad mouth our new coach on day -1.

Reactions: knightfan7
We are also not Arkansas. Why worry about the one bad season he has had, where there is clear underlying reasons for it. Unless one simply wants to worry and/or bad mouth our new coach on day -1.

Defensive a little about opinions that are different than yours? You're right. Ash's Arkansas defense was better than the current Rutgers defense. Ash was a good DC. He coached to the level of his talent at OSU as Meyer's first 2 recruiting classes matured when he arrived. His HC record is 0-0. Maybe we'll get lucky with this roll of the dice. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Not defensive. Annoyed at opinions devoid of logic. I would happily have a dialogue with either you or the OP if either of you would like to expand on why the his first season at Arkansas should outweigh his other seasons.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I am. In addition to being concerned that:
1) Fans booed Laviano.
2) Ash is coaching the bowl game.
3) Julie dissed EL.
4) The Kurds are on the move.
5) GS didn't want us.
6) Rettig didn't get a fair shot.
7) Russo isn't euphoric.
8) We don't have an OC yet.
9) ISIS promotes Lone Wolf terrorism.
10) Ash hasn't bought a house yet.
11) Hobbs was seen cheering for SHU.
12) Barchi is Christie's puppet.
13) Coughlin is senile.
14) We shouldn't run a pro set.
Amongst other issues that make me want to whine and cry.
Hobbs was seen cheering for SHU?

Not defensive. Annoyed at opinions devoid of logic. I would happily have a dialogue with either you or the OP if either of you would like to expand on why the his first season at Arkansas should outweigh his other seasons.

His one season at Arkansas doesn't outweigh his other seasons, however, is part of his record. He coached kids for 1 season that for the most part he didn't recruit. The year prior to his arrival Arkansas ranked 74 in total defense giving up 409 yds/game. His season at Arkansas resulted in a ranking of 76 giving up close to the same amount of yards. He didn't make them better or worse in a short 1 year time period. He most likely coached to their talent level.

He will inherit a Rutgers defense that ranked 113 giving up 462 yds./game.

It's a modest concern, in that you could make an argument that Ash's defenses don't overachieve relative to their talent level. His Wisconsin defenses (which weren't peppered with five-star recruits) were very good, though.

I think the bigger concerns with Chris Ash will be how he handles being a first time head coach, but those who work under Urban Meyer tend to be better prepared than most.

It's a modest concern, in that you could make an argument that Ash's defenses don't overachieve relative to their talent level. His Wisconsin defenses (which weren't peppered with five-star recruits) were very good, though.

I think the bigger concerns with Chris Ash will be how he handles being a first time head coach, but those who work under Urban Meyer tend to be better prepared than most.

Agree, his Wisconsin defenses were excellent. Their system, player development and offensive run scheme is perfectly tailored for great defenses. Aranda's Wisconsin defenses over the past 3 years are slightly better and it's interesting how Aranda is transitioning the defense to a smaller, quicker defense compared to how we view Wisconsin's defenses of the past, as well as, this was the first year where Aranda did not have a run balanced offense to rely upon.

I always wondered how he weaseled his way onto Ohio State ( which ultimately lead to him getting the RU job) after his Arkansas D was ranked like #109 the prior year.

Reactions: Leonard23
I always wondered how he weaseled his way onto Ohio State ( which ultimately lead to him getting the RU job) after his Arkansas D was ranked like #109 the prior year.
UrbanMeyerChrisAsh.jpg

Reactions: RUaMoose
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT