ADVERTISEMENT

Clarifying a constantly stated misconception

How is CVS' salary part of the state debt.

Huh? CVS is a public employee like every other coach at RU. If u want to see her contract just file an OPRA request.
Here is a direct quote from the recent investigation by the Rutgers Faculty Union " Rutgers has funneled nearly a half a billion dollars into athletics from loans, tuition revenue, student fees and taxpayer dollars". The State gives Rutgers a billion dollars a year. You can't track every dollar, but there is no way that Athletics can incur all this red ink with your tax dollars. As in any business, the biggest component of cost = salaries.

Jonathan Holloway
President, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

February 18, 2022

Budget Address to University Senate | Rutgers University

“As a public university we also receive support from the State of New Jersey. When you include state appropriations and state-paid fringe benefits, we receive just over $900 million on an annual basis. This is a lot of money, but it is under 20 percent of our annual needs, and, in my opinion, it is not nearly enough. And while I have an excellent working relationship with Governor Murphy and I know that he wants to do everything possible to support Rutgers, the fact is that state investment in the university is not what it should be. This is a problem that has plagued New Jersey, and the nation, for decades. As of fiscal year 2019, New Jersey ranked 21st among the 50 states in terms of support for higher education per capita. It ranked 40th in the nation in support of higher education when measured against the personal income of state residents. I appreciate every dollar we get from the state—I truly do—but imagine what we could do if the state increased its investment: improved infrastructure, new or refurbished buildings, higher research productivity, and a more accessible institution.”

https://www.rutgers.edu/president/budget-address-university-senate

In budget address on Feb 18th:
"Finally, for those who remain dissatisfied and would prefer to see the athletics program dissolved in order to redirect funds elsewhere in the university, keep in mind that athletics represents 2 percent of the operating budget. Put another way, dissolving athletics would not solve our budget challenges."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT