ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff vs. GG Free Throw Percentage 2023-24

NiTeKnight

Junior
Nov 28, 2003
Just looking over some team stats and noticed this.
Hard to believe but Cliff has a 61.5 free throw percentage and Gavin has a 55.6 free throw percentage.
How did that happen, seems impossible?

And Austin Williams and Ogbole are both 41.2 % free throw shooters. Another head scratcher.

Last edited:
Safe to say Gavin’s shooting prowness significantly under delivered this year. But those free throw averages for him worry me a lot whether this is just a freshmen growing pain. Good shooters make free throws .. at all levels of basketball. That part has nothing to do with adjusting to the college game.

They're called free throws for a reason. Uncontested free baskets. Unbelievable how bad this team shoots free throws. It really is mind boggling. You can include lay ups as well. You learn how to make a lay up basically as soon as you learn how to dribble. Hopefully these issues improve, they can and will cost you games.

Reactions: RUJMM78
They're called free throws for a reason. Uncontested free baskets. Unbelievable how bad this team shoots free throws. It really is mind boggling. You can include lay ups as well. You learn how to make a lay up basically as soon as you learn how to dribble. Hopefully these issues improve, they can and will cost you games.
Teaching and executing basic fundamentals is lacking .Players have shown very little improvement from the first game to the last game.Massive roster changes are required to complement the freshmen class.Tough love is required in roster formation.

Late in the year it looked like Gavin rushed at the line even more than he did earlier in the season. I actually thought at one point maybe he’s not comfortable with everyone looking at him. Either way, it can be fixed. He should be a 75%+ guy.

He started out 4-4 against Boston U, and looked like he could make them in his sleep. I think it's all a mental thing. He needs to take a proverbial deep breath this offseason and figure things out.

Hard to believe but Cliff has a 61.5 free throw percentage and Gavin has a 55.6 free throw percentage.

And Austin Williams and Ogbole are both 41.2 % free throw shooters. Another head scratcher.
It almost seems that, whenever he's scouting a recruit and the recruit goes to the line, Pike gets up to go to the bathroom .

• Haha
Reactions: Goku and dconifer
Safe to say Gavin’s shooting prowness significantly under delivered this year. But those free throw averages for him worry me a lot whether this is just a freshmen growing pain. Good shooters make free throws .. at all levels of basketball. That part has nothing to do with adjusting to the college game.
His left foot was moving backward on the shot, most of the season, which definitely has an affect. My thought has been it's a prep to get back on D quicker but who knows. Definitely not natural.

FYI - let's compare "apples to apples." Cliff shot 41.4% from the line as a frosh. I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that GG is over 70% by next season.

Gavn is shooting "flat" lately. Not enough arch on the ball coming out of his hands whether he is shooting 3s or FTs and why he keeps hitting front of the rim.
Its so odd because he has such nice form and a good shot

I'd be pretty surprised if Gavin was sub 70% next season

He really should be aiming for 80% as a floor if he's the shooter he was made out to be as a recruit

Reactions: NiTeKnight
By my count Gavin shot ~27 FTs all year (less than one per game). He only attempted FTs in 10 games - often with significant gaps between attempts/game.

I don't think it's a lack of shooting percentage or motion, it does come down to leg strength and the ability to keep his stamina up, if he's going to play 25 + minutes. There are certain players who just aren't athletic enough to play well at 32, 34+ minutes a game and not have it effect rebounding or shooting.

Gavin may ultimately be a 4 year player that takes more time to develop....what you just can't teach, is his arm length or being 6'7 or 6'8"....as he gets more muscle, he'll revamp the shooting touch.....but shooting and rebounding starts and ends with leg strength and he needs that to take the next step.

I don't think it's a lack of shooting percentage or motion, it does come down to leg strength and the ability to keep his stamina up, if he's going to play 25 + minutes. There are certain players who just aren't athletic enough to play well at 32, 34+ minutes a game and not have it effect rebounding or shooting.

Gavin may ultimately be a 4 year player that takes more time to develop....what you just can't teach, is his arm length or being 6'7 or 6'8"....as he gets more muscle, he'll revamp the shooting touch.....but shooting and rebounding starts and ends with leg strength and he needs that to take the next step.
I agree with this. You could tell GG was winded at times and said to my friend he was going to be short on shots as a result. That was also regarding my comment about getting more arch on the ball to overcompensate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT