ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

Any updates on the FranBrown-TU situation? I seee elijah robinson liking a tweet that voices support for him to TU
From the stuff I’ve read and heard on the “Rutgers Rant” podcast, he doesn’t seem to be one of the top candidates for Temple HC. Whether or not he would be considered for a DC type position is another issue. The HC choice should be announced in the next few days .

I’ve said before if I’m them I’d go for the Chip Kelly’s of today like Josh Heupel or Jeff Lebby. If they leave so what as long as they can win big and who knows if they would leave.

Give them the budget to hire a top DC and let them do their thing on offense.
westwing-punctuation.gif

RU really ripped off Chris Ash. 😂 🤦‍♂️
Another report that the compensation is even more lol.

Venables is doing what I thought he might years ago (even before Flood was fired). He hired a strong OC. A defensive coach who appreciates the necessity of having a productive offense and knowing where to go…demonstrated by his hire of Lebby. Venables came up with strong offenses at OU and Clemson. If only Ash took it as seriously and wasn’t so confused. Was always hopeful, but wasn’t a fan of any of his OC hires.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m surprised to read he turned down Tenn. and now is thinking about Duke and UVA.
That's one of the reasons I feel Elloitt will only take a HC position if offered a long term deal of 8 years . A program like Duke would make that a good move.
Virginia despot what Bronco did, needs a lot of work to make it a top program , so 5 years might be too short of a time to make that happen before the natives get restless.

Elliott's reputation will increase fanbase expectations and cause impatience.
We see that with the RU fanbase, giving Schiano a shorter leash than most new HCs would get.
Greg recived an 8 year contract and that's what I feel Elliott wants, but with a higher salary

That's one of the reasons I feel Elloitt will only take a HC position if offered a long term deal of 8 years . A program like Duke would make that a good move.
Virginia despot what Bronco did, needs a lot of work to make it a top program , so 5 years might be too short of a time to make that happen before the natives get restless.

Elliott's reputation will increase fanbase expectations and cause impatience.
We see that with the RU fanbase, giving Schiano a shorter leash than most new HCs would get.
Greg recived an 8 year contract and that's what I feel Elliott wants, but with a higher salary
UVA just approved a 10 million dollar transfer from the endowment to Athletics and a proposed 65 million dollar football building. That might coincide with an announcement of coach being hired.

Looks like Roof's time at Clemson as a Defensive analyst last year paid off for him
Venables must have felt Roof could be in charge of the Sooner's D and not stray from what he wanted

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Conflicting info on UGA DC to Oregon. I'd rather go for Heupel and see if with all your Nike money you could pry Lanning away from UGA as DC.

Duke taking my advice lol. After Mullen I thought Elko was next best choice. He could follow in Clawson footsteps potentially.

Football Scoop:
Florida: Darnell Stapleton has been named an assistant coach working with the offensive line. Stapleton spent last season in the same capacity for Billy Napier at Louisiana after previously coaching the offensive line at Sam Houston (FCS - TX) for a few seasons.

I'm quite scatterbrained when I post lol. If you're looking for good grammar forget it. Missing words, typos bad punctuation etc...the whole nine yards. Most of the time it's just stream of conscious from my brain to my fingers and the rest to hell with it haha.
Lol. Not judging. Just teasing. I had to read the post 4 times before I could figure out what you were saying, so I made a funny.

I wonder what Joe Moorhead has been thinking about since Mario left for Miami particularly if they wind up with Lanning. While he may have wanted to come back east I think the timing of him accepting the Akron job was bad. I get he was there before and might be familiar with the territory but I think he may have short changed himself.

Just read this entire thread in one sitting and kudos to the OP and primary contributors. I am not an advocate of the trends in the college football hirings and firings. It no longer matters whether you are successful or not at your new destination because these deals all seem guaranteed. The lengths and annual salaries now seem to exceed most NFL jobs and you have to wonder if some of the pro coaches would be candidates if the timing worked better.

A little surprised Gary Patterson did not land somewhere but perhaps his choice not to accept something. Matt Campbell's stock also seemed to have taken a hit which does not make a lot of sense to me.

Dabo has benefitted from staff continuity for many years and now has to replace his two top guys and work with a new AD. Will be interesting to see if the hires come from in house or outside.

Looks like the RU staff will stay together again this offseason. I think this is good news and I would not be concerned about losing Fran Brown to Temple in any role other than HC. GS will not let that happen. Hopefully we hold the current class together and get signed commitments come Wednesday. Then its all about the transfer portal.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I wonder what Joe Moorhead has been thinking about since Mario left for Miami particularly if they wind up with Lanning. While he may have wanted to come back east I think the timing of him accepting the Akron job was bad. I get he was there before and might be familiar with the territory but I think he may have short changed himself.

Just read this entire thread in one sitting and kudos to the OP and primary contributors. I am not an advocate of the trends in the college football hirings and firings. It no longer matters whether you are successful or not at your new destination because these deals all seem guaranteed. The lengths and annual salaries now seem to exceed most NFL jobs and you have to wonder if some of the pro coaches would be candidates if the timing worked better.

A little surprised Gary Patterson did not land somewhere but perhaps his choice not to accept something. Matt Campbell's stock also seemed to have taken a hit which does not make a lot of sense to me.

Dabo has benefitted from staff continuity for many years and now has to replace his two top guys and work with a new AD. Will be interesting to see if the hires come from in house or outside.

Looks like the RU staff will stay together again this offseason. I think this is good news and I would not be concerned about losing Fran Brown to Temple in any role other than HC. GS will not let that happen. Hopefully we hold the current class together and get signed commitments come Wednesday. Then its all about the transfer portal.
Kudos to you for reading this all in one sitting. I don’t think even a junkie like me could do that lol.

Kudos to you for reading this all in one sitting. I don’t think even a junkie like me could do that lol.
It was either that or go to the scoop and read their daily postings going back a similar period. Hard to miss many of these high profile job changes but I am always interested in how they go about staff hirings.

Could be a good hire for PSU. He’s been up and down as DC in his career. He found his way to Pennsylvania eventually.

Last edited:
Could be a good hire for PSU. He’s been up and down as DC in his career. He found his way to Pennsylvania eventually.

Probably has some good connections recruiting wise in Florida as well. While his recruiting was criticized at Miami, with PSU and Franklin behind you, I would think there might be greater emphasis there going forward. I think Pry was more of a DMV guy where PSU traditionally does very well.

NFL news but could become college news in a year or so.

I really hope that ahole Meyer gets fired. Runs renegade programs then has the audacity to write books on character. Hard to be a great coach when you don’t have the best players, isn’t it Urban?

Reactions: redking

Who could he be calling a loser?

I really hope that ahole Meyer gets fired. Runs renegade programs then has the audacity to write books on character. Hard to be a great coach when you don’t have the best players, isn’t it Urban?
but he'll land on his feet.
If a top P-5 program isn't available, Urban will go to ESPN and be a highly paid commutator until top programs start shedding their HC and you can bet Meyer will get plenty of offers that will be at top dollar..
For most top programs, it doesn't matter how he got it done, what matters is he got it done
and his pro gig at Jacksonville isn't he same as a HC position at a top P-5 program most AD's probably feel

but he'll land on his feet.
If a top P-5 program isn't available, Urban will go to ESPN and be a highly paid commutator until top programs start shedding their HC and you can bet Meyer will get plenty of offers that will be at top dollar..
For most top programs, it doesn't matter how he got it done, what matters is he got it done
and his pro gig at Jacksonville isn't he same as a HC position at a top P-5 program most AD's probably feel
I hope he goes back to tv, preferably Fox. He’s very good at it.

If he wanted to coach there would be plenty of schools happy to have him.

Reactions: MADHAT1

No other high profile college jobs to leverage so why not a NFL one. No idea if there’s any truth to it but his agent might be looking to get OSU to bring up his contract to level of the ridiculous contracts that have been recently signed.

Last edited:
Wow…Wilcox turned down Oregon to stay at Cal. Maybe expectations are too high for him. Kind of hard to believe but two people are reporting it. Originally I thought it was one of those “removed my name from consideration” deals when someone else gets the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT