ADVERTISEMENT

Cool Home Fan Experience/Away Intimidation Plus-up to National Anthem

iMigz

Redshirt
Feb 10, 2020

You’re not changing the anthem, you’re simply participating in it during key moments that reflect the core of Rutgers - Scarlet “RED” and night “Knight(s)”

That is a state of Maryland thing. Orioles and Ravens fans do the same thing. Obviously, the O stands for Orioles.

Even during the Super Bowl, you could easily hear "and the home of the CHIEFS!"

That is a state of Maryland thing. Orioles and Ravens fans do the same thing. Obviously, the O stands for Orioles.

It’s not even just a Maryland thing...there are so many teams across the country that do it. Example in the tweet are from NJ and Orlando. I definitely think it’s an awesome add.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but I’m old fashioned and I don’t agree with shouting out anything during the National Anthem until the last word is sung. To me, it’s disrespectful. My hat is off, my hand is on my heart. I’m taking it all in. Proud to be an American!

What’s the difference between this and singing along that many people do? What makes singing along traditional? Again, you’re not changing the words. You’re highlighting key moments and words that match Rutgers core.

Reactions: Scangg
Not to be a Debbie downer, but I’m old fashioned and I don’t agree with shouting out anything during the National Anthem until the last word is sung. To me, it’s disrespectful. My hat is off, my hand is on my heart. I’m taking it all in. Proud to be an American!
Get off my lawn!

Reactions: iMigz
amen brother.

What’s the difference between this and singing along that many people do? What makes singing along traditional? Again, you’re not changing the words. You’re highlighting key moments and words that match Rutgers core.

the difference is honoring the song as intended to be sung and not selectively hyped to take it from the reason it is being sung, to one of creating self promotion. And sounds like mockery.

I can't stand when I hear fans do this and if we start doing it to be like other fan because its "cool" they shout THIER part...I'll lose all respect for our fanbase. Which I think has always been pretty classy.

and I'll add to this that if you do this then you have nothing to say about players not standing. Because nobody said you have to stand and at least they are keeping quiet.

the difference is honoring the song as intended to be sung and not selectively hyped to take it from the reason it is being sung, to one of creating self promotion.

I can't stand when I hear fans do this and if we start doing it to be like other fan because its "cool" they shout THIER part...I'll lose all respect for our fanbase. Which I think has always ben pretty classy.

It’s being sung exactly the same way. Being proud to be an American can also be inclusive of being proud to be a part of Rutgers.

You must be new here. So you're trying to organize Rutgers fans to do a coordinated cheer or chant with organization?

Reactions: hoquat63
It’s being sung exactly the same way. Being proud to be an American can also be inclusive of being proud to be a part of Rutgers.

yeah, IF I could be confident everyone is doing that and not just hitting the key words...maybe. But I highly doubt that would be the case.

And what about when some person is up there singing it solo and doing their best to provide a wonderful momoment? People singing along to that (NOT) and then shouting out in the middle?

Let this out of the barn and watch what it becomes. My hunch would be that RU moves to instrumental performances.

Reactions: NJDOVES
yeah, IF I could be confident everyone is doing that and not just hitting the key words...maybe. But I highly doubt that would be the case.

And what about when some person is up there singing it solo and doing their best to provide a wonderful momoment? People singing along to that (NOT) and then shouting out in the middle?

Let this out of the barn and watch what it becomes. My hunch would be that RU moves to instrumental performances.

There are countless examples of this being done throughout the country from professional sports and college - original post if you need a reference. Those singers were not effected at all. It’s called managing expectations and the educating whoever the specific singer is that day that it will occur.

There are countless examples of this being done throughout the country from professional sports and college - original post if you need a reference. Those singers were not effected at all. It’s called managing expectations and the educating whoever the specific singer is that day that it will occur.

yup, and they ALL SUCK in my humble "boomer - older man-traditionalist-patriotic" opinion. which I am sure is not in the majority. I undestand the cause. I certainly do. I'm just more of an organic fan and not a follower type. peace out.

You must be new here. So you're trying to organize Rutgers fans to do a coordinated cheer or chant with organization?

What are you talking about?
We do a great "...UUUU....RRRR..." chant all the time.

Boomers hate this idea. Lol at the thought this is disrespectful in any way shape or form. Take the stick out of your anus

Horrible idea. The national anthem is not there to create an intimidating environment for the visitors. I’m not sure why it’s played in the first place but If it’s going to be played is it too much to ask to show respect for 2 minutes? I’m as far as you can get from the “love it or leave it” crowd and don’t put my hand over my heart or anything but the “RED” at Red Bull’s games and “O” at Orioles games always rubs me the wrong way.

Boomers hate this idea. Lol at the thought this is disrespectful in any way shape or form. Take the stick out of your anus
So, when your at an event and someone is singing our Star Spangled Banner, and someone is yelling out something or not removing their hat (on purpose) or kneeling, it’s not disrespectful? I disagree, that’s all. No big deal, I don’t make an issue of it and I don’t have a stick up my ass.

Love the idea.. you can even say KNIGHTS!

It was a 25 hour battle.. maybe 6am when it started it was still dark... in any case, its been many (k)nights and our flag is STILL THERE!

(late term boomer.. not stick inserted anywhere)

You are standing, respecting, enjoying, following the words.. no different than applauding and cheering before the end. If you want ultimate respectful silence.. play Taps.

Reactions: iMigz
So, when your at an event and someone is singing our Star Spangled Banner, and someone is yelling out something or not removing their hat (on purpose) or kneeling, it’s not disrespectful? I disagree, that’s all. No big deal, I don’t make an issue of it and I don’t have a stick up my ass.

It’s not as simple as ‘yelling something’ - it’s participating in the moment. Would completely agree if it was something along the lines of “Illinois Sucks” but it’s not.

The situations you mentioned all have nothing to do with what is being discussed at all. It's insulting to conflate them

This shows a level of appreciation and engagement with the fans and it is part of the anthem. Just signing one word of it.

Keep looking. Its up there somewhere. Just stuck real deep

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT