ADVERTISEMENT

Court to be named after CVS

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Yes we can talk about CVS retiring. Good lord.. pretty big news and the court will be named after

Mod go take a powder and let us discuss

She’s a Hall of Fame coach who had the majority of her wins at Rutgers.

Of course we’ll name the court after her, and it will be the name of the court for guys games as well.
Are we going to name the wrestling mat after Tom Young ? How about Bob Reasso Field at Rutgers Stadium ?

I dont know...are they one of the most transformative coaches in their respective sports
Others are certainly welcome to have their own viewpoint on the court naming. Bac, perfectly fine with her name for the girls games. I know Tennessee has Pat Summits name for both teams and I know Stringer is in the HOF, but no one would put her at the level of Pat Summit.

Theresa Grentz brought us a National Championship. Just have the girls Court be called Grentz/Stringer Court. Will cover decades of mostly successful teams and both coaches. Name the mens Court after Tom Young and/or Jim Valvano.

• Haha
Reactions: Rutgers56
I know Tennessee has Pat Summits name for both teams and I know Stringer is in the HOF, but no one would put her at the level of Pat Summit.
Yes, they would.... and Pat Summitt would have been at the top of the list. C. Viv's accomplishments as a pioneering black woman in collegiate sports will be spoken about long after she is gone.

Last edited:
Let’s move on. I trust Pat to bring in a well named coach. We are a Big Ten school with a 100k APC, the flagship school of New Jersey and of course the trapezoid of terror.

I would think RU is a very attractive destination for many a coach. It has tremendous new facilities, a history of WCBB excellence, and fertile recruiting ground in tri-state area.

No doubt that Chicago native Cappie Pondexter was the greatest to play for CVS at RU, but almost everyone I'd list after her was local:

Essence Carson, Matee Ajavon: NJ
Kia Vaughn, Epiphany Prince: NYC
Kahleah Copper, Shawnetta Stewart: Philly
Betnijah Laney: Delaware

The team that made the championship game started 5 players who were all from NJ or NYC.

Others are certainly welcome to have their own viewpoint on the court naming. Bac, perfectly fine with her name for the girls games. I know Tennessee has Pat Summits name for both teams and I know Stringer is in the HOF, but no one would put her at the level of Pat Summit.
It’s sad that many Rutgers under appreciate what CVS did at RU. No one was winning at RU when she did. Schiano is the only one who is in her class and he didn’t even have the same success. The fans hating this are letting their own personal opinion of CVS cloud what she accomplished.

If Rutgers is going to do this, have both.
Yes I understand that is what you are proposing. I am trying to understand your logic.

For me I think CVS has/had a much more accomplished career if we are talking about naming a court after someone.

Yes the last couple of years did not go well but I don't think some people understand what a big influence and name she is in basketball. What she has done is historic. Literally never been done before.

This is a proud moment for Rutgers. I like/love this idea.

Naming the court is great. For anyone who really cares and is upset, If rutgers wants to really get to next level, the RAC will be a thing of the past and that new facility will bring a new court to name for the next great rutgers coach.

Naming the court is great. For anyone who really cares and is upset, If rutgers wants to really get to next level, the RAC will be a thing of the past and that new facility will bring a new court to name for the next great rutgers coach.
I think we are committed to The RAC for at 20 more years if the renovation/expansion proceeds as it sounds like it will fairly soon. Now, when we start a Rutgers Hockey Division 1 program, we will have a big decision whether to go with something like Wisconsin’s hockey/basketball Kohl Center or do we go the State Penn route and build a 6,000 seat hockey only arena.

how many times did Reasso get soccer to Final Four? He is close.

Yes I understand that is what you are proposing. I am trying to understand your logic.

For me I think CVS has/had a much more accomplished career if we are talking about naming a court after someone.

Yes the last couple of years did not go well but I don't think some people understand what a big influence and name she is in basketball. What she has done is historic. Literally never been done before.

This is a proud moment for Rutgers. I like/love this idea.

112 coaches have been inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame. 15 of them are women. CVS is one of those 15 (and the only Black woman).

She is beyond deserving.

**Dawn Staley is also in HOF, but as a player.

It will be interesting to see the next time a Hall of Fame coach signs on at Rutgers.
Among her many accolades, coming to Rutgers is highly laudable. Not many coaches of CVS’s stature would have the guts to do it.
With AD Hobbs recently in southwest Florida, let’s hope he took the time to stop in and greet FGCU’s amazing women’s hoops coach Karl Smesko. It’s time for Smesko to step up the coaching ladder.

Any chance we name a new coach today or tomorrow ? Sunday is the last day Fall and Winter student-athletes can enter the transfer portal without sitting a year. It might give us a chance at getting transfers in and not losing any more current kids.

I can understand disagreeing, but getting so ticked off I don’t. I’m much more in the, “Okay, good for Viv. Now who’s the next coach?” Camp.

Can’t even bring myself to read the whole thread. What court? Can’t possibly be talking about the RAC? If so, excuse me while I go upchuck.

You honor the most successful, longest tenured (aside from Fred Hill Sr.) coach, who's retiring as a Scarlet Knight by making her share the honor with someone else? Granted, Theresa Grentz is not just any someone, but no.
Whether it’s named for only her or with someone else, I don’t care. CVS deserves something.

It’s long overdue that the coach who delivered Rutgers’ lone team national championship should have something done for her as well. Who better to name the court after than these two?

Reactions: tm_nj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT