ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy at St John's

That Providence team was fun to watch. Made them one of the top-scoring teams in the country and took them to a FF in his second year. They shot 42% from 3 as a team in 86-87, why would you take any 2's? 😃
Maybe that yeah shouldn't have. It was over generalized to the detriment of the game

Well, if you shoot 50% from 2 and 33 1/3% from 3, you score the same number of points per possession. So at 35% from long range, you score more by bombing away. Most teams cannot muster the 50% mark from 2 consistently, either. It's just math.

Well, if you shoot 50% from 2 and 33 1/3% from 3, you score the same number of points per possession. So at 35% from long range, you score more by bombing away. Most teams cannot muster the 50% mark from 2 consistently, either. It's just math.
Exactly. If you look back, it's amazing how long it took basketball in general to figure this out.
A lot of people still don't get it.
Once you see it, it seems like the most elementary, obvious thing.

Now go play pickup with 1's and 2's and try explaining it to guys who don't get it. Ughhh!

There is a coach on the Pitino skill level who said that there are only 2 shots in basketball. A layup and a 3-pointer. His name is Pete Carril.
I think Carril is even higher on the skill level. And he too, is wrong on this point.

The value of a shot is a function of how easy the shot is for you, multiplied by how much and in which direction you are affected by the context in which you take it (in flow, under duress, clutch), multiplied by the value of the shot.

A shot that you are good at and feels good in flow should be taken.

Reactions: RUChoppin
The challenge comes when your lineup doesn't have shooters who mostly can hit threes at 33% or better, and the defense takes away the paint. What then? The offense gets stagnant trying to probe for openings for layups and ends up kicking out to poor shooters late in the clock?

The midrange game shouldn't be your primary method of scoring as an offense - you should be working primarily to get layups and threes (for those who can hit them at a consistent clip). But players need the ability to adapting to where the weak points are in a defense. Hitting a few midrange jumpers forces the defense to respect that shot - which can open up the paint for layups again.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I think Carril is even higher on the skill level. And he too, is wrong on this point.

The value of a shot is a function of how easy the shot is for you, multiplied by how much and in which direction you are affected by the context in which you take it (in flow, under duress, clutch), multiplied by the value of the shot.

A shot that you are good at and feels good in flow should be taken.
This is silly
I’m not wasting more words

Reactions: RUsojo
Really. It is mathematically and conceptually correct.

May not be how you think about it and that's fine. But if you were building a model, it's where you would start.

or do you think it's silly to suggest Carril>Pitino
It’s 4-5th grade level coaching
There is a line on the court and shots behind it are worth more- that matters
You have teammates who/where they are and their abilities matter
There is a shot clock- it matters
There is a game score and game clock those matter too

All true.
But we are talking about the expected value from a shot.

And if you can hit a third or more of the three pointers that your offense generates, that is a pretty good bet. But if not, then the two point proposition rises in importance.

Reactions: RUChoppin
An hour ago,Wusu,Posh Alexander and Storr entered the portal. They are all seriously good. Pitino clearly is going to start from scratch.Cant imagine Curbelo will be back. He is literally going to build a team around Soriano and the portal $$$.He is all over Ledlum and Timberlake,but UNC is still strongly pursuing Timberlake. If he pulls this off and Dances with a brand new roster,it would be at a minimum revolutionary. And a game with them still could happen.He did it his way.
It's the Kansas State blueprint, as Tang only started with 2 returning players in his first year of coaching KSU last year. Can't stand Pitino and hope he falls flat on his face, although I'm sure he'll do well, as he is a good coach even if he is a scumbag.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article273189510.html

I think Pitino will do well, but not great with St. Johns. He is a good/very good court coach with a big name who at least initially will bring in talent.

However his biggest "skill" has been getting exceptional talent through under the table means. I do not like a lot about the NIL, but I will say that at least most of the money being "above the table" really negates the recruiting advantages guys like Pitino has enjoyed.

I do not think he will be a flop, but would really be surprised to see St. Johns, rise to a powerhouse as well.

Last edited:
"indiscretions" ???
Is that what we call providing hookers to players and recruits now ?
How are other schools supposed to compete with that ?
We gotta up the game. I've heard there are a few "hookers and blow" experts on this board. We need to make them part of the staff (only kidding of course).

I’m
I think Pitino will do well, but not great with St. Johns. He is a good/very good court coach with a big name who at least initially will bring in talent.

However his biggest "skill" has been getting exceptional talent through under the table means. I do not like a lot about the NIL, but I will say that at least most of the money being "above the table" really negates the recruiting advantages guys like Pitino has enjoyed.

I do not think he will be a flop, but would really be surprised to see St. Johns, rise to a powerhouse as well.
An interesting point
A big advantage before was under the table money and perks, which players can now get elsewhere out in the open
So I dont think he will have a further advantage beyond his name as a good coach and the actual coaching
Name and coaching should and will make st johns better, how much? Some of it might be blunted by the evening up of player benefits

Reactions: Miggins
Would Rutgers be better next year if we only returned Cliff Mag and Spencer and decided in the beginning of the offseason the next 5 guys to play came from the portal? It’s an interesting question. Certain programs it’s probably an easy question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT