ADVERTISEMENT

Damion Hahn

rpiseman

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
If ru were to move on from Goodale, I’d Damian Hahn the guy? Great coach, jersey legend, develops wrestlers.

Thoughts?

IF they moved on from goodale (I’m not advocating it)
You back the brinks truck up to current Jersey Resident (who plans on living in NJ for the future) Jordan Burroughs. You want recruiting? He’s the only guy right now that could possible rival Cael when he walks in a living room. His career very likely is over after the 24 Olympics. What can he do after he retires that keeps him in Jersey, involves wrestling, and pays very well? Rutgers head coach.

I don’t think Burroughs wants to be a head coach. Hahn is great but why would he leave where he’s at? I still don’t think Goodale is a problem and one bad season doesn’t mean the program is in the dumpster.
The same reason the guy before him left. A bigger program with more money and better opportunities will come knocking. It’s just a matter of who and when. What Hahn has that Bono didn’t is a new training facility which certainly helps.

I don’t think Burroughs wants to be a head coach.
I have no inside information. When I saw he was affiliated with the Philly RTC, the first thing I thought of was Penn. They were ranked right around us all year.

When Goodale moves on, it should be Pritzlaff. I believe he'll do a fantastic job here as a HC, and as much as Hahn would be wonderful here, we need to reward loyalty. I know Goodale has built this program, and I give him his due respect, but his credential as a wrestler is weak compared to all the HCs we are recruiting against, and I do think he is holding us back. I think Hobbs needs to recognize this and award Goodale with a cushy administrative job within the Athletics dept. and have Pritzlaff further build up the program to our true potential.

When Goodale moves on, it should be Pritzlaff. I believe he'll do a fantastic job here as a HC, and as much as Hahn would be wonderful here, we need to reward loyalty. I know Goodale has built this program, and I give him his due respect, but his credential as a wrestler is weak compared to all the HCs we are recruiting against, and I do think he is holding us back. I think Hobbs needs to recognize this and award Goodale with a cushy administrative job within the Athletics dept. and have Pritzlaff further build up the program to our true potential.
That may be true, but if Donny would do better, why isn't that apparent now? Is Goodale holding him back? That would suggest the program would be better off if it were delegated to Donny, and Goodale stayed in his office. Donny has the wrestling credentials, but is there evidence that he can run a program any better? I agree that he would be deserving based on his service and dedication; however, advancing the program, if Goodale can't figure it out, might require close examination and reevaluation, based only on a competitive needs basis.

I do think Goodale could make it happen, but he has to get smarter and I'm not certain he can get smarter. I hear a lot from him like "we need to...", "we have to start...", "need to figure out...", etc. We all know that; now we need someone that can do it and show that they can do it. It would be nice if he answered the question of how.

I am not advocating for a coaching change. But if Rutgers is going to move on from Scott the replacement has to have a legitimate coaching pedigree. Both as an assistant coach under a successful head coach and then as a successful head coach. The Jersey ties are a bonus. Damion Hahn checks the boxes along with being a ”big man” which helps significantly
Jordan Burroughs is an all time great obviously but that won’t necessarily translate into being a great head coach which carries a lot of different responsibilities outside the wrestling room. Damion Hahn or somebody like him has shown that ability to run the complete operation Needs to be the choice.

Be very careful just moving on from Scott. He is not nearly as bad as he is portrayed by people on here. But I can see why some would be looking for a change

I am not advocating for a coaching change. But if Rutgers is going to move on from Scott the replacement has to have a legitimate coaching pedigree. Both as an assistant coach under a successful head coach and then as a successful head coach. The Jersey ties are a bonus. Damion Hahn checks the boxes along with being a ”big man” which helps significantly
Jordan Burroughs is an all time great obviously but that won’t necessarily translate into being a great head coach which carries a lot of different responsibilities outside the wrestling room. Damion Hahn or somebody like him has shown that ability to run the complete operation Needs to be the choice.

Be very careful just moving on from Scott. He is not nearly as bad as he is portrayed by people on here. But I can see why some would be looking for a change
There are ways of accomplishing it if they were able to think out-of-the-box. So far, not.

Reactions: William J. Leggett

If you’re gonna move on you would keep Scott in the athletic department. He s a hell of a person and runs a tight ship and not someone you would want out of your university.

If you’re gonna move on you would keep Scott in the athletic department. He s a hell of a person and runs a tight ship and not someone you would want out of your university.
I would definitely like to keep Goodale in the athletic department. He seems like a great person and he brought the program back from the dead. I just think he peaked as a coach and it’s time to shake things up.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Need a change.

Keith Gavin, the Pitt HC, has done a great job turning around the Pitt program in a relatively short time thru recruiting and development without the resources and facilities that Rutgers has. That would be my vote....

Keith Gavin, the Pitt HC, has done a great job turning around the Pitt program in a relatively short time thru recruiting and development without the resources and facilities that Rutgers has. That would be my vote....
Keith is a Pitt alumni and was their last national champion until last night. That’s going to be a tough guy to get.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You could definitely offer him a position involving alumni relations and fund raising. The only way it can happen is Scott and the AD would have to come to an understanding that Rutgers is making a change and they would like him to continue on in this capacity and allow Scott to announce he is stepping down from the grind of being a head coach and he is moving into this new position on his own accord. You can’t fire him or force him to resign publicly and then offer this. It has to be done in a way that it appears it was Scott’s decision and was done with no animosity.

Rutgers 10 AA
Pitt 4 AA

2023:
22. Pitt 27 (1 AA: 1)
34. Rutgers 8 (0 AA)

2022:
20. Rutgers 28.5 (2 AAs: 3, 8)
24. Pitt 20.5 (1 AA: 5)

2021:
11. Pitt 40.5 (2 AAs: 2, 2)
13. Rutgers 37.5 (3 AAs: 4, 4, 8)

2019:
9. Rutgers 51.5 (3 AAs: 1, 1, 8)
34. Pitt 9.5 (0 AA)

2018:
11. Rutgers 42.5 (2 AAs: 2, 6)
31. Pitt 10.5 (0 AA)

Rutgers 10 AA
Pitt 4 AA

2023:
22. Pitt 27 (1 AA: 1)
34. Rutgers 8 (0 AA)

2022:
20. Rutgers 28.5 (2 AAs: 3, 8)
24. Pitt 20.5 (1 AA: 5)

2021:
11. Pitt 40.5 (2 AAs: 2, 2)
13. Rutgers 37.5 (3 AAs: 4, 4, 8)

2019:
9. Rutgers 51.5 (3 AAs: 1, 1, 8)
34. Pitt 9.5 (0 AA)

2018:
11. Rutgers 42.5 (2 AAs: 2, 6)
31. Pitt 10.5 (0 AA)
Ha, grass is greener kind of thing. Probably more resources at Rutgers but it is pretty funny that one of the more popular replacement ideas is basically a lateral move.

Ha, grass is greener kind of thing. Probably more resources at Rutgers but it is pretty funny that one of the more popular replacement ideas is basically a lateral move.
2008 NCAA National champion @ Pitt
Won US National Championship in 2013-2014
Rookie Coach of the year 2017
2021 ACC Co-Coach of the Year

They went 10-4 this season beating #13 Lehigh, Illinois, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and lost to #3 Iowa State 15-16 and they placed 2nd at the Midlands. They're a program on the rise and he has built it up since arriving in 2017.

Look at Pitt's trajectory and look at where we're at.

Gavin Year-by-Year
2017-18: 4-11, 2-3 ACC (6th at ACC, 31st at NCAA)
2018-19: 13-3, 3-2 ACC (4th at ACC, 34th at NCAA)
2019-20: 10-4, 3-2 ACC (2nd at ACC, NCAA cancelled)
2020-21: 3-4, 1-4 ACC (5th at ACC, 11th at NCAA)
2021-22: 8-6, 2-3 ACC (3rd at ACC, 24th at NCAA)
2022-23: 10-4, 4-1 ACC (3rd at ACC, 22nd at NCAA)

33 NCAA Qualifiers, 12 ACC Champions, 8 All-Americans, 1 NC

They went 10-4 this season beating #13 Lehigh, Illinois, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and lost to #3 Iowa State 15-16 and they placed 2nd at the Midlands. They're a program on the rise and he has built it up since arriving in 2017.

Gavin Year-by-Year

Same time span for Rutgers:
36 NCAA qualifiers, 9 all americans, 2 national champs.

Gavin Year-by-Year

LMAO counting the "AA" that were named after the cancelled 2020 championships. He has 4 AAs.

If things don’t change after next season, Goodale is certainly going to feel the heat. No doubt about that and rightfully so.

I hope he spends a lot time this off-season and really evaluates the entire program top to bottom… bring in a new coach or two, change the way the team prepares, lands elite recruits from HS or in the portal, not bring back certain guys if they aren’t buying in, etc..there is no doubt that something needs to change. Keeping the status quo and producing the same level of results would be disastrous for him.

I get he is big on loyalty and riding with his guys, but sometimes you need to make tough decisions and that’s why he gets paid the big bucks

If things don’t change after next season, Goodale is certainly going to feel the heat. No doubt about that and rightfully so.

I hope he spends a lot time this off-season and really evaluates the entire program top to bottom… bring in a new coach or two, change the way the team prepares, lands elite recruits from HS or in the portal, not bring back certain guys if they aren’t buying in, etc..there is no doubt that something needs to change. Keeping the status quo and producing the same level of results would be disastrous for him.

I get he is big on loyalty and riding with his guys, but sometimes you need to make tough decisions and that’s why he gets paid the big bucks
My gut feeling is that process you’re talking about began when Alvarez left

My gut feeling is that process you’re talking about began when Alvarez left
It seems that way and that's all well and good as long as it drives your expected outcomes and improves the program. You can't send a top 2/3 guy on the team walking and not have the ability to replace him and then use the excuse we have a young team, need more depth, etc... you can't have it both ways.

What about Pat Pop from NC State? I'm willing to bet we can throw B1G money at him. With that said you absolutely keep Goodale around in an admin role in the AD if it comes to changing coaches down the road.

What about Pat Pop from NC State? I'm willing to bet we can throw B1G money at him. With that said you absolutely keep Goodale around in an admin role in the AD if it comes to changing coaches down the road.
A top team in the country right now. Rutgers would be a downgrade at this point.

If moving on from Goodale comes to pass, I don't see how having him around in some type of administrative role is going to make it easier to find the best replacement. Lets hope he does what is necessary to get things moving back in the right direction and then it can truly be his choice when he wants to do something else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT