ADVERTISEMENT

Differences between HC GS & HC SP

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Where do I start....

1- recruiting. Look at what GS has done this year with two losing years under his belt this time around. And he's not done. He's like the Eveready bunny bringing in more and more talent including the number one players in New York and New Jersey this year. He doesn't go looking for under recruited players like Chris Ash did and HC Pike does... Seeking under recruited players is a total losing strategy at this level.

2- GS realized where his team was extremely weak (OL) and aggressively recruited in that area turning it into a future strength with tons of talent and tons of depth. In hoops we are extremely weak at the four and five positions... Do you guys have the confidence that Pike will be as successful as GS and recruiting his biggest area of weakness.

3- Cutting Coaches. In year 2 GS let go 2 coaches that are his friends and he's coached with a long time. And he got what appears to be major upgrades especially in recruiting. Pike is an ex guard and he has three ex guards as his fellow coaches. How can an ex guard coach a big man effectively while never playing the position, and more importantly recruit quality big men. Am I the only one that sees this as a huge problem... Guards recruiting big men????

We'll start with three points tonight... To be continued

You’re comparing a second stint, not “year 2.” GS 1.0 is a more apt comparison.

You’re comparing a second stint, not “year 2.” GS 1.0 is a more apt comparison.
GS in his 6th year the first time around won national coach of the year and his team finished 12th in the country. Let me repeat that was in Greg's 6th year his first time around and Pike is in his sixth year..... Thank you for reminding me.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Pike has accomplished a lot more than GS 2.0 has. I am very optimistic on the future of the football program but I’m not going to anoint someone based on recruiting until the games are actually won. Similarly I’m not going to write off pike based on recruiting until the games are actually played.

GS in his 6th year the first time around won national coach of the year and his team finished 12th in the country. Let me repeat that was in Greg's 6th year his first time around and Pike is in his sixth year..... Thank you for reminding me.
You clearly hate pike and want him gone which is fine. No one is going to convince you otherwise. But you’re cherry picking year 6 and ignoring years 4,5 where he made two tourneys, got a win there, had an 18-1 home record, had the RAC selling out every game, and had a nationally ranked team.

Currently he has 6 conference wins with 9 more to play.

Want to know who came after Schiano 1.0. Flood and then Ash. We are still picking up the pieces a DECADE later going into year three of Greg 2.0. Don’t forget the next guy after you run pike out of town may not be the answer.

This thread is unreal. One coach has made us, if nothing else, a consistently competitive, average to above average Big Ten team for four years running now, including many memorable wins over ranked teams, and even had us ranked nationally a couple of times. The other guy is still coaching a laughingstock that can't even sniff a .500 conference record and gets blown out by every good team they play.

To some Schiano can do no wrong. Yet he continued to play a QB who gave us no chance of winning.
In fairness both have done the impossible (Schiano V1) but both are stubborn / value defense and are clueless about offense. Both have faults. Both have strengths. Both are probably competitive program builders - where their ceilings are. Pike has given me many cherished wins over the years. Both seems to duck tough OOC schedules. At least Pike is funny and personable. I ll take Pike in a 12 round unanimous convincing decision.

You should probably at least wait until Greg Schiano 2.0 has a winning season before making this comparison.

It will still be an incredibly dumb comparison at that point in time, but it will at least have somewhat of a point I guess.

Last edited:
You clearly hate pike and want him gone which is fine. No one is going to convince you otherwise. But you’re cherry picking year 6 and ignoring years 4,5 where he made two tourneys, got a win there, had an 18-1 home record, had the RAC selling out every game, and had a nationally ranked team.

Currently he has 6 conference wins with 9 more to play.

Want to know who came after Schiano 1.0. Flood and then Ash. We are still picking up the pieces a DECADE later going into year three of Greg 2.0. Don’t forget the next guy after you run pike out of town may not be the answer.
Flood and Ash are on the AD's.... There have to be many better options than Pike, such as a young up-and-commer who can get his players excited to play from the opening tip. Why do we always fall behind and play frenetically to try to dig ourselves out.....

Steve took a team that was 7-25 and rated # 279 in the country to being very respectful. Greg apparently has recruited well this season but his team was only 2-7 in the BIG and got DESTROYED by Northwestern, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State and Maryland. They were only 5-8 overall and have a long way to go to even get to .500 in the BIG Ten. They never even passed the 50 yard line against Penn State and didn't show a pulse against Northwestern or Maryland much less Wisconsin or Michigan State. At least our basketball team is competitive in almost every Big Ten game.

To some Schiano can do no wrong. Yet he continued to play a QB who gave us no chance of winning.
In fairness both have done the impossible (Schiano V1) but both are stubborn / value defense and are clueless about offense. Both have faults. Both have strengths. Both are probably competitive program builders - where their ceilings are. Pike has given me many cherished wins over the years. Both seems to duck tough OOC schedules. At least Pike is funny and personable. I ll take Pike in a 12 round unanimous convincing decision.
Phil I've respected your opinion till now but Pike has the cupboard bare very bare... His recruiting is horrible lately and he has a state of the art facility which no prior coach ever had to recruit with. How can this team fall 24 points behind in the second half and then try to claw its way back... That's not a winning strategy Phil

One thing I will give Schiano....Pike was never gifted a postseason appearance because his players have good grades. That's all Greg.

When I am feeling down, I open up this site and read, read and read some more. When I am done LOL, I no longer feel down.

Schiano and Pike have one thing in common. They both agreed to undertake the challenge that is Rutgers.

Schiano and Pike have one thing not in common. Schiano proves to be a tremendous recruiter, Pike proves to be tremendous coach getting the most out of the least.

Schiano took football to low to mid-level bowl games, Pike took the team to the NCAA tourney and won two games, in the same time frame.

The both have brought respectability to the programs and school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT