ADVERTISEMENT

Does Bolin have the Edge to be Starting QB?

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._offers_1st_take_on_kyle_bolin_johnathan.html

"Kyle is really a grown man,'' the Rutgers coach said. "He's mature. He's intelligent. You can tell he's been around a high-level game of football. He's been well-coached, understands offense and concepts. He's a competitor, and he's just a good teammate, too.

"He's done a good job of building relationships with other players, whether it's the quarterbacks or offensive players, he's done a great job of building relationships with a lot of guys.''

10 reasons why B

Last edited:
It is probably Gio's to lose but they didn't bring Bolin over to not compete for it and Bolin did not decide to come here to sit on the bench. Even if Gio is the starter against Washington it is very possible Bolin will be the starter at some point during the season. Remember we also have a untested Oline.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It is probably Gio's to lose but they didn't bring Bolin over to not compete for it and Bolin did not decide to come here to sit on the bench. Even if Gio is the starter against Washington it is very possible Bolin will be the starter at some point during the season. Remember we also have a untested Oline.
I hope we will not see any similarities in the Gio vs. Bolin situation to those we saw in CL vs. HR.

I honestly think we need a running QB in this offense but if Bolin can win it out I'm all for it. He's probably going to be a upgrade in accuracy.

Bono has the Edge. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
r-U2-THE-EDGE-large570.jpg

Reactions: RedSpartan
if it was a returning OC,I would say GIO has the edge,but Bolins been here for last several weeks also,doing passing drills in all the camps,I,m sure with his experience,picking up the new offense from Kill,who has only been here a few months himself,wouldnt be hard. Id like to see Lewis red shirt.

Remember that Gio played most of his time limited by a hamstring injury which he got\in the Minnesota game. He played very good up until then so I think he definitely has the edge going into camp. IMHO

It was really only one half of a game, not much of a resume. He probably will take the first snaps when camp opens, but I don't think he will be viewed as the incumbent and it will be an open competition.

Would be nice to see us have a highly touted Frosh QB recruit be ready to play and perform at a level beyond his years. Have we ever had/done that in the past 30 yrs. (or more)?

Bolin shouldn't have the edge. It should either be an open competition or Gio should have the edge as a returning starter.

Reactions: Ruthinking
I never get this knee jerk reaction to red shirt players. Personally I would rather have Lewis get some experience this year so that we do not have an inexperienced QB seeing 1st action next year. Have you seen Lewis, he isn't some underdeveloped HS kid. We need to start winning sooner than later and we are not at a point where we can stockpile players.

Reactions: PaKnight
I never get this knee jerk reaction to red shirt players. Personally I would rather have Lewis get some experience this year so that we do not have an inexperienced QB seeing 1st action next year. Have you seen Lewis, he isn't some underdeveloped HS kid. We need to start winning sooner than later and we are not at a point where we can stockpile players.

This. Need to have him ready to compete in 2018.

He absolutely should not have the edge over the incumbent starter. The question I think most really want the answer to is what are his(or Lewis') chances of unseating Gio to be the Game 1 starter?

if it was a returning OC,I would say GIO has the edge,but Bolins been here for last several weeks also,doing passing drills in all the camps,I,m sure with his experience,picking up the new offense from Kill,who has only been here a few months himself,wouldnt be hard. Id like to see Lewis red shirt.
However, you just don't hand the position to a transfer. Gio went through spring practices and has spent more time with Kill and Ash. Bolin needs to beat him out on the field so Gio has the edge day 1.

Would be nice to see us have a highly touted Frosh QB recruit be ready to play and perform at a level beyond his years. Have we ever had/done that in the past 30 yrs. (or more)?

That seems to be extremely rare for true freshman. Guys like darnold, manziel and Winston all redshirted. savage and nova were talented enough to keep things afloat but it's rare for a true freshman qb to be above average.

Now that I've typed that out, I actually think freshman nova is a solid comparison. Both guys come from parochial powers in NJ, probably better built for D1 as true freshman than most, and were around the same level recruit.

Reactions: madchuck
Bolin "wins" starting job at some point in the season, if not out of the gate, RU's version of going "Bolin" this season.

That seems to be extremely rare for true freshman. Guys like darnold, manziel and Winston all redshirted. savage and nova were talented enough to keep things afloat but it's rare for a true freshman qb to be above average.

Savage was a freshman All American but still relatively average compared to the rest of the QB's in the country. Nova and Teel had about the same freshman year. The kept things afloat but probably shouldn't have been out there.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
However, you just don't hand the position to a transfer. Gio went through spring practices and has spent more time with Kill and Ash. Bolin needs to beat him out on the field so Gio has the edge day 1.

Gio is the incumbent starter and went through spring practice but let's not act like Gio played great last year. He played well for approximately one half of one game. He threw as many touchdowns as he did interceptions and threw for like 800 yards. Everyone has a similar starting spot, with Gio starting a little bit ahead. But it's certainly not his job to lose.

Gio is the incumbent starter and went through spring practice but let's not act like Gio played great last year. He played well for approximately one half of one game. He threw as many touchdowns as he did interceptions and threw for like 800 yards. Everyone has a similar starting spot, with Gio starting a little bit ahead. But it's certainly not his job to lose.
I thought Gio looked like an average college QB last season. He had some big play ability but he would also make mistakes. He was both a better passer and athlete than Laviano.

I'm hoping Bolin wins the job and proves to be above average like his stats seem to indicate. Not sure about having an edge per se, but he has the experience to get us to 5-7 or so, and an outside shot at 6-6, which would be a major improvement.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
Where did I annoint Gio the starter. My point was incoming transfer has to earn the spot on the field. Gio has the advantage of going thru spring practice. They have probably played similar amounts in games. We'll will see what happens when August rolls around.

I like Gio because he is in year 4 of the program and is a good physical runner. He needs to get wiser on when to lower the shoulder because on first second down or too far from the sticks he should slide or go out of bounds. He looked good at full health. Completion percentage needs to improve but I think it will with better coaching and play calling. Gio deserves to go into fall camp as the 1 but if Bolin beats him out so be it. Happy to have Bolin and I think both play due to the tough schedule wearing players down. I don't expect much from true freshmen, particularly qb's.

Reactions: Peteyd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT