ADVERTISEMENT

Does Corey think he has unfinished business at RU!?

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
If he does (getting his degree and getting RU to a winning season and thinking shot at the NCAA) ...he will find away to be back

If not, he will forego for his senior year

The Corey we saw dialed into at the garden ...for an entire season
....is a type of player that gives us a shot to dance in 18-19

If he does (getting his degree and getting RU to a winning season and thinking shot at the NCAA) ...he will find away to be back

Corey knows what is needed at Rutgers to have a winning season and participate in post season play ,namely,more players on the court that can score consistently.His decision,however,might be more personal taking into account family concerns and the desire to play basketball as a professional player.

Reactions: Kbee3
NBA talent level has never been the issue. Performing at that level consistently has been. To me, if he leaves this year it will be to be paid in Europe. If he wants the NBA he can stay and demonstrate to the them that he has matured into a consistent player. Maybe he proves me wrong and goes to the NBA but I can't see them taking a chance on him. NBA teams can wait and see how he grows into the role in Europe or the D league type of competition. When you look at his season long stats he was in the middle of the pack for BIG guards. That doesn't include the rest of the college/world class players. I will be surprised if he gets drafted. For his sake, I hope I am wrong and he has a wonderful NBA career. For our sake, I hope he stays.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
Maybe coach can plant the bug in his ear to come back and gain respect from the entire Big Ten.

I don't know him personally but from some posters who seem to know a bit more this seems to be about the money and supporting his family back home. If that's the case then I totally understand him leaving to play in Europe or some other league where he can make money.

That said I hope he comes back and can Channel the way he played the last couple of games. Our team will be much much tougher.

Good points. But here is a slight dilemma: Corey was able to explore the NBA and get a full evaluation the past two years without having to commit to leaving college. He has used up that privilege. He can't do that this year. If he does, he has to leave college and go pro. Now, whether that means the D league or Europe I don't know. If Corey decides to stay here, he needs to make up his mind without any official exploration this time. I would love to see Corey back.

The shot making I saw in the past 3 days has the look of a player that can play in the NBA. The lack of a catch and shoot perimeter shot is a killer though.

I am not a NBA guy and Corey isn't 6' 4'', but his game is like Dwayne Wade. I don't think he will ever get a sniff in the NBA, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Reactions: BillyC80
IF he puts a season next year together that mirrors the B10 run

The NBA is NOT out of the question...

Yes it is. He is still far too inconsistent from 19 feet and he isn't a good enough FT shooter. He isn't going to drive into the trees that are in the NBA and get his shot off unless his defender respects his 3 pointer. To be a guard in the NBA you need to be pretty good from 24 feet. His game is not an NBA game. Again this is not a knock on Corey he just isn't in the 0.1%

Quincy Douby was a significantly better player than Sanders. He got a shot in the NBA and then found glory in China. Corey needs to play with more consistency--which means coming back. Still don't think he can play in the NBA, but it would give him a shot at the higher-paying foreign leagues.
TL

No. Guy wanted to go pro since he stepped on campus. Played great in the B1G tournament but where was that player every game all year? You have to look at his total body of work. He didn't even make the all Big Ten Third team. I don't see him as NBA player but he should stay to improve his game for the Europe league.

This. I figured he was 90% gone before this run to play overseas. Down to 75% now because if he plays like that for a prolonged period he's at least a G-league player.
Thinking same thing.

I had him at 100% gone before Big10 tourney. Perhaps he has some second thoughts after his terrific play and the overall strong play of the team this week. Maybe he sees he might have fun his sr year with a legitimate shot to lead RU to a post season bid--NIT possible, Big Dance long shot...
[cheers]

Reactions: GORU2014
Quincy Douby was a significantly better player than Sanders. He got a shot in the NBA and then found glory in China. Corey needs to play with more consistency--which means coming back. Still don't think he can play in the NBA, but it would give him a shot at the higher-paying foreign leagues.
TL
To be fair, Douby is a much different player. Douby entered the NBA and was drafted as a shooter. His job was to come off the bench and hit a 3 ice cold. If he hit he would stay on the floor if he missed a couple he sat back down. Incredibly difficult to stick in the NBA doing that.

Corey is much more of a Westbrook type player (obviously he isn’t Westbrook level), but a team drafting him would be looking for a guy that can attack the rim and look to dish.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Corey is more of a Dennis Schroder. If he ever made it to the Association that would be his game. Similar size. Has to keep developing his 3 ball because the NBA is a make or miss league now from out there.

To be fair, Douby is a much different player. Douby entered the NBA and was drafted as a shooter. His job was to come off the bench and hit a 3 ice cold. If he hit he would stay on the floor if he missed a couple he sat back down. Incredibly difficult to stick in the NBA doing that.

Corey is much more of a Westbrook type player (obviously he isn’t Westbrook level), but a team drafting him would be looking for a guy that can attack the rim and look to dish.
100%

Corey has entertainment ..did you see that value that will be worth price of admission somewhere.

Corey has been our stud player since he stepped foot on the banks. He has matured tremendously as a person and his interviews are thoughtful and are praising Coach and the team and how hard they play. The last 3 days he showed the consistency and NBA talent. He needs to work on his left hand and his three point shooting to have a legitimate shot to make the league. He has become a great Scarlet Knight and made us proud to get us on our way back to becoming a basketball school.
Unfortunately, it is unlikely he is returning next year. He will be sorely missed.

Saw Douby play in Orlando vs the Hawks, and he looked lost at times. But he could hit the 3. Corey was 22 for 98 this year; thankfully, he finally stopped shooting the 3. Corey is a mid-range shooter. He will not last long trying to drive to the rim. Way too many Pachulia-types.
Douby was close to Sanders' size--6'3 175, and hung around outside. Westbrook is 6'3 190, and a strong 190. Corey is 6'2 175, and if a guard, in particular, can't hit the 3, the NBA says no, thanks. He can have a nice career overseas. Hopefully for a better team than the Balls play for--5-18 in a bad league in Lithuania.
TL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT