ADVERTISEMENT

Does Sheppard Get a Couple of Series in the Bowl Game?

I don't remember from GS 1.0 if he did this in bowl games or not. Can't really count the Gator Bowl because of the circumstances. This would be something pre planned and not linked to GW's performance. I would hope that he does.
Any thoughts?
No and I still don't get this dynamic between Wimsatt and Schiano. Schiano always preaches that competition brings out the best in everyone. So, he constantly wants guys pushing each other to become better.

Then we turn to the QB spot and he not only doesn't recruit anyone to compete with Gavin, but he also completely ignores the transfer portal. It's like Wimsatt is holding him hostage. The only way I can explain it is, Gavin has pictures of Schiano with a hooker. Otherwise, it makes completely no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: zebnatto
No and I still don't get this dynamic between Wimsatt and Schiano. Schiano always preaches that competition bring out the best in everyone. So, he constantly wants guys pushing each other to become better.

Then we turn to the QB spot and he not only doesn't recruit anyone to compete with Gavin, but he also completely ignores the transfer portal. It's like Wimsatt is holding him hostage. The only way I can explain it is, Gavin has pictures of Schiano with a hooker. Otherwise, it makes completely no sense.
How do you know he ignored it? Maybe we just couldn’t find a better option for our money.

Reactions: RUref
How do you know he ignored it? Maybe we just couldn’t find a better option for our money.
There's plenty of guys out there. You don't need a million dollar QB like many state to get the job done. When your QB throws dirt rockets 5 yds. away you've got a problem.

There's plenty of guys out there. You don't need a million dollar QB like many state to get the job done. When your QB throws dirt rockets 5 yds. away you've got a problem.
Like who? Neb certainly missed on their transfer. Plenty guys, yes. Plenty of good guys, no.

Like who? Neb certainly missed on their transfer. Plenty guys, yes. Plenty of good guys, no.
How about we start with anybody not ranked last in the NCAA in passing and go from there. If you believe the status quo is fine, then I don't know what team you watched last year. They're not asking the QB position to carry the team, simply help it complete a few more 3rd and 5's a game. It's not a tall ask.

Just one more thread proving the most popular guy on the team is the 2nd string QB.

Last edited:
How about we start with anybody not ranked last in the NCAA in passing and go from there. If you believe the status quo is fine, then I don't know what team you watched last year. They're not asking the QB position to carry the team, simply help it complete a few more 3rd and 5's a game. It's not a tall ask.
It’s not status quo. It’s a team sport. We made huge strides from last year. Changes would be made if we were not winning. Making changes because we didn’t beat Mich, OSU, Iowa, or PSU would be crazy.

Let's face it, unless we have a QB who brings us to the cusp of a national championship game there is always going to be a faction of people who think they KNOW the backup is better, and KNOW more than the coaching staff.. who see the players in practice every day. It's just not worth it trying to reason or argue with them

Reactions: RUref and Kbee3
It’s not status quo. It’s a team sport. We made huge strides from last year. Changes would be made if we were not winning. Making changes because we didn’t beat Mich, OSU, Iowa, or PSU would be crazy.
You go from one extreme to the other. Yes the team did the QB didn't, he was the same QB missing the same passes through out the entire season. No one is saying we have to win the B1G Championship or find the next Heisman trophy candidate at QB. Just an average QB will do, not worst in NCAA if you want to improve.

You go from one extreme to the other. Yes the team did the QB didn't, he was the same QB missing the same passes through out the entire season. No one is saying we have to win the B1G Championship or find the next Heisman trophy candidate at QB. Just an average QB will do, not worst in NCAA if you want to improve.
The facts say otherwise.

I don't remember from GS 1.0 if he did this in bowl games or not. Can't really count the Gator Bowl because of the circumstances. This would be something pre planned and not linked to GW's performance. I would hope that he does.
Any thoughts?
I think it depends on game circumstances, how Sheppard has progressed in practice, and what Schiano thinks about next year's QB situation (i.e. will Sheppard be in the running to start?). Let's not forget how Schiano sat a healthy Vedral in the 2nd half of the Gator Bowl two years ago to give GW some experience.

Let's face it, unless we have a QB who brings us to the cusp of a national championship game there is always going to be a faction of people who think they KNOW the backup is better, and KNOW more than the coaching staff.. who see the players in practice every day. It's just not worth it trying to reason or argue with them
Blind faith. I don't think fans think they know more about football than our coaches but maybe think our coaches have varying priorities and beliefs that bias a decision. Not every starter is the best choice which is why injuries uncover hidden gems, no matter how much the coaches know about the players involved or the sport. Coaches have to weigh 1000 variables that fans have the luxury of not worrying about.

Blind faith. I don't think fans think they know more about football than our coaches but maybe think our coaches have varying priorities and beliefs that bias a decision. Not every starter is the best choice which is why injuries uncover hidden gems, no matter how much the coaches know about the players involved or the sport. Coaches have to weigh 1000 variables that fans have the luxury of not worrying about.

Also of note:
Coaches get fired all the time for incompetence and failure and poor preforming.

Just because someone has a job, doesn't make them an expert at that job.

So people can say "trust the coaches, they know more than you sitting on a coach. They watch them in practice".
Just like any other profession though - not everyone is good at their job.

Appeal to authority isn't always right.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Yeah, that’s not happening and the fan base will always want the backup QB. They will also want the O.C. fired and then the HC fired when points or wins aren’t enough. It’s a fixture of football. Football isn’t real life, where criticism and wanting better is certainly understandable.

Also of note:
Coaches get fired all the time for incompetence and failure and poor preforming.

Just because someone has a job, doesn't make them an expert at that job.

So people can say "trust the coaches, they know more than you sitting on a coach. They watch them in practice".
Just like any other profession though - not everyone is good at their job.

Appeal to authority isn't always right.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
also of note: coaches know a lot more than fans.

Reactions: Kbee3 and NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT