ADVERTISEMENT

Does this season make Pike rethink his OOC scheduling?

I think he has his philosophy and if anything this reinforces it. He had his weak OOC schedule go about as bad as possible (more often than not it won't go this poorly) and still has a chance to get in the tournament. Only way he maybe changes it is if you guys get 2 more wins and the committee still turns around and says nah.

I think we will be playing Southern Cal at MSG and Seton Hall at home. I don't know if we will be in the Gavitt games and the Big 10-ACC Challenge but if so that will be four major games already. Maybe we could add one more and just try not to lose any other OOC games next season. Hopefully Caleb will return and maybe we get a huge surprise with Ron returning but that is asking a lot but you never know.

I think it does to an extent, I don't think it was Pike's fault, I think it was the player's attitude towards playing this weak sauce schedule, like any college football team showing up against an FCS opponent and expecting them to roll over and play dead or Mike Tyson facing Buster Douglas.

Reactions: RU89
Does he start scheduling tougher opponents?
No. But he needs to make sure he plays to win and not screw up the chemistry on the floor. It was inexcusable to lose to Lafayette and UMASS.

Reactions: rume
to paraphrase Brad Wachtel:

Go find teams that will be pretty good in really crappy conferences....
This was probably a good idea in the RPI days because RPI would favor those teams as opponents (as they will have a good winning percentage). Not sure that really does anything now.

This was probably a good idea in the RPI days because RPI would favor those teams as opponents (as they will have a good winning percentage). Not sure that really does anything now.
it does a lot... a team that will probably not be Q4 mean wins mean more and losses mean less...... you want to play teams that have a smaller "anticipated score differential" and better offensive and defensive efficiency by the end of year.

"Gooder" teams will have that more often than #315+ teams like a Lafayette.

Playing a crap team like Lafayette does almost NOTHING for you unless you blow them out by 40+ and can only hurt you otherwise..

playing a team that is "fairly good" but probably nowhere near your level is much better... (again, win will help more and a loss (though not great) hurts less).

::I did a crap job explaining:.... can't recommend enuf:

Last edited:
Reactions: RedTeam1994
Problem with gavitt and ACC games, ESPN and Fox has biggest say in matchups. They want best rating matchup, ie Duke Michigan, UCONN Ohio St. RU is still not a name team so we will never get paired with Duke, UNC, or Nova…but hopefully we finally do better than Miami Clemson and DePaul. Give us ND and Xavier next year

Reactions: bac2therac
Zzzzzz. Ridiculous! We play a 20 game BIG schedule. We play SHU when they don’t chicken out. We play the ACC challenge and the Gavitt games. That’s 23 games!
Play Princeton and stop your b*tchin!! What do you want? Ridiculous!!!

There are plenty of lower tier pre-season tournies played on neutral courts. We need to be in a position to play a few Oakland and Praire View types on neutral floors like the Michigan schools.

I also don’t get why we have to pick the worst possible local mid-majors. Why not Wagner or Monmouth?

it does a lot... a team that will probably not be Q4 mean wins mean more and losses mean less...... you want to play teams that have a smaller "anticipated score differential" and better offensive and defensive efficiency by the end of year.

"Gooder" teams will have that more often than #315+ teams like a Lafayette.

Playing a crap team like Lafayette does almost NOTHING for you unless you blow them out by 40+ and can only hurt you otherwise..

playing a team that is "fairly good" but probably nowhere near your level is much better... (again, win will help more and a loss (though not great) hurts less).

::I did a crap job explaining:.... can't recommend enuf:
This explains why you want to play better teams but not why you specifically want the top teams from bad conferences.

Is there some specific reason why playing say Cleveland St is preferable to playing Georgia?

If losing early to some Q4 team is as important as beating multiple Q1 teams including the then #1 and 4 other top 20 in a row then I know nothing. Which is certainly possible.

This explains why you want to play better teams but not why you specifically want the top teams from bad conferences.

Is there some specific reason why playing say Cleveland St is preferable to playing Georgia?
1) Georgia probably has more talent and is therefore more likely on a given day to pull the upset.

2) The downside of a loss is worse with Georgia. Never good to have a loss to another conference basement dweller. When you lose to a good mid-major that ends up with a gaudy record, the win ends up being perceived as a signature win for them and not that bad a loss for you.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Lol. Nailed it again. On a roll lol.
Nobody is talking about the OOC SOS. they are calling out the losing. Had Rutgers not lost that all of this NCAA talk wouldn't be.
For years Syracuse’s OOC was nothing but shitty teams with almost every game at home. If away it was always in NY state. But they won them all and nobody ever talked about it

Problem with gavitt and ACC games, ESPN and Fox has biggest say in matchups. They want best rating matchup, ie Duke Michigan, UCONN Ohio St. RU is still not a name team so we will never get paired with Duke, UNC, or Nova…but hopefully we finally do better than Miami Clemson and DePaul. Give us ND and Xavier next year
Gavitt games are pretty much every other year as there are only 8 games played. I think that’s why we scheduled USC because no Gavitt game next year.

Reactions: shields
Does he start scheduling tougher opponents?
Pike is very stubborn. He won’t change. And especially won’t change schedule for next year given team will be a work in progress given Geo and Ron graduating etc.

Why? That’s stupid. How’d UMAss and DePaul work out?
Okay Temple and Princeton. Done and done! SMH

Maybe take 1 or 2 of the 300s and slightly upgrade.

easier said then done because it is tough to know for sure what a team will be.

Reactions: cm_13
There’s also a big difference in scheduling 100 to 200 ranked schools as opposed to 200 to 358 ranked schools. There are plenty of options out there aside from the Central Connecticut’s of the world.

Reactions: GORU2014
I asked Pike about a neutral court tourney several years ago at a Court Club meeting and he told me that the conference has to approve. A Pinocchio maybe for Pike. 😂🤔
I don’t know if the conference would block RU from playing in an a specific tournament for specific reasons, but that would be an exceptional situation. Pike just doesn‘t want to play in them. This comes from someone I know whose job it is to manage some
of the tournaments mentioned at various times on these boards.

Last edited:
I think it does to an extent, I don't think it was Pike's fault, I think it was the player's attitude towards playing this weak sauce schedule, like any college football team showing up against an FCS opponent and expecting them to roll over and play dead or Mike Tyson facing Buster Douglas.
You can only use this excuse for one game. How many times do you need to be punched un the face and knocked out?

What is the goal for SOS? We are in the 30s now. The higher it is, the less room for error. Let's see if Michigan gets in with their high SOS... total losses is a real concern if we schedule too many tough OOC games.

We might get in and Michigan might get left out bc theirs was a bit too hard and ours was just soft enough

We would have gotten crushed all early season. We were bad even in some cupcake wins. If we had a harder schedule this year we would probably have a couple more losses and be completely out

What is the goal for SOS? We are in the 30s now. The higher it is, the less room for error. Let's see if Michigan gets in with their high SOS... total losses is a real concern if we schedule too many tough OOC games.

We might get in and Michigan might get left out bc theirs was a bit too hard and ours was just soft enough

We would have gotten crushed all early season. We were bad even in some cupcake wins. If we had a harder schedule this year we would probably have a couple more losses and be completely out
Would you stop being so damn logical?

It ruins the narrative!!!

The thing is - when you know you have a pretty good team returning, there is zero reason not to expect that if your average level of OOC difficulty is a home game against Wagner, your going to come out at least 6-4 (which is what we did in OOC). I understand not scheduling this way in a full on rebuild year when nobody returns - but this year when your saying “best team ever” a min of a 6-4 record should expected.

The goal is to avoid too many losses but also WTF losses to teams like Lafayette and Fordham. Since you never know which given day your team will be a complete no show, the best way to reduce the odds of Lafayette disasters is to schedule fewer games like that.

Reactions: Scangg
Schiano 1.0 did the same thing - get wins and get bowl eligible because the conference season is so unpredictable.

We had Marquette this year but we scheduled NJIT so the game didn’t happen.

• Angry
I doubt it happens because of the loss of scoring from Baker and Harper and the time required to rebuild the team with bench players and new recruits.

Next year I don't think he changes, but I could see in two years with more returners he enters a bigger tournament at the beginning of the season. With so many question marks next year, I wouldn't be surprised to even see a local D2 team come to the RAC to make sure everyone gets minutes and test a few different lineup combinations under less pressure.

I also think the trip abroad to Spain was so important for team chemistry for this group and would love to see another trip abroad once they are eligible in 2023 (I think).

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT