ADVERTISEMENT

Exactly what kind of coverage is Rutgers going to get on BTN with 18 teams and the additional media coverage coming?

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
Other than some game coverage here and there I got to believe we're going to get even less spots than we do now. What do folks think the coming exposure and network coverage is going to look like? It's already driven by UM and OSU and the core. OK, late night west coast for those teams but BTN live? "hey Rutgers played today. In other news..."

Maybe football but BTN covers other sports including lacrosse. No West Coast games in the near future. Possibly hoops as well.

Other than some game coverage here and there I got to believe we're going to get even less spots than we do now. What do folks think the coming exposure and network coverage is going to look like? It's already driven by UM and OSU and the core. OK, late night west coast for those teams but BTN live? "hey Rutgers played today. In other news..."
Your instincts may be correct. This past weekend, they were running a bunch of old Rose Bowls from the 1980s or 1990s. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. They'll have to do 20 episodes each on Big Ten Elite for UCLA and USC.

I only care when I am actually at the game.

Rarely watch away games all the way thru, in any sport.

I will peak at the B1G Show if we win just to see what they say. So I guess no real change for me.

Win and it’ll change… it’s really that simple. Look at the Baltimore Orioles right now, horrible forever but now are the darlings of baseball that every national media can’t get enough of because they were able to rebuild and become relevant. If RU managed to creep into the top 25, you’d start seeing the attention

Yeah don’t get BTN or splurge the 9 bucks for peacock ! What great fans we got!
You seem to have RU fans are cheap in your brain.
Where in this thread did anyone or OP state he wasn't watching because of $$?
They simply have concerns about future RU coverage...which is not valid I think...because coverage can perhaps be regional.

They simply have concerns about future RU coverage...which is not valid I think...because coverage can perhaps be regional.
Oh shucks …maybe I got it from the title of the post that starts out “is paying for BTN…?”

I knew we were cheap , but now I see some of us can’t read either !

Reactions: Morrischiano
Thank you.

Is there any way to get the BIG10 without paying for an entire Cable subscription.
I cut the cord and only have streaming.

I wanted to get Fox to get Big10, like ESPN, but when i checked a few months ago it didn't seem possible

Oh shucks …maybe I got it from the title of the post that starts out “is paying for BTN…?”

I knew we were cheap , but now I see some of us can’t read either !
Perhaps I should have said "in the off season" because I would certainly continue to pay for any apps and additional services to get to see away games. Just like I do for BTN+ to get early season basketball OOC games not on the mainstream services.

I only care when I am actually at the game.

Rarely watch away games all the way thru, in any sport.

I will peak at the B1G Show if we win just to see what they say. So I guess no real change for me.

Similar. I don't watch BTN unless a Rutgers game is on.
A handful of times I'll put it on for a different game/sport while scrolling but will instantly bring back up the menu to find something better.
I also don't watch ESPN/NBA TV/NFL Network unless my team is on.

Couldn't care less about pre-game/post-game shows.
None of their opinions or reactions actually impact the play on the field so it's basically worthless to me.
Everyone on the pre-game could pick us to win or lose a game - that doesn't actually make us any more or less likely to win/lose.

Interested in the not watching away games though.
What about other sports (if you watch) that you don't attend all the home games?
Is it just a "sports on TV" thing you can't get into?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Perhaps I should have said "in the off season" because I would certainly continue to pay for any apps and additional services to get to see away games. Just like I do for BTN+ to get early season basketball OOC games not on the mainstream services.
If you like hoops, the off-season is really only four months April to July. You might get a spring sport you’re interested or maybe not.
Seems like we are kinda overthinking this.

If you like hoops, the off-season is really only four months April to July. You might get a spring sport you’re interested or maybe not.
Seems like we are kinda overthinking this.
Perhaps, but I have watched but a couple of mins here and there in August either and we haven't added in the 4 new teams or had coverage on other platforms for away football games. There's been NOTHING there but one Rutgers day with the same ol stuff I have recorded already.

I'm not cheap just thrifty. I'd give the cash to NIL instead btw.

BTN needs to step up their game. You can turn on SEC network at any time and have a better product than what is being aired on BTN. SEC does a better job with Olympic sport coverage (either live or taped delayed) as well as pre-season post-season football content. BTN is nothing but Ohio State and Michigan repeats from the 80's 90's and early 2000's.

Last edited:
Yeah save $10 a month so that you miss 90% of RU MBB and 60% of RU Football games. Instead, buy yourself a sandwich.

WTF with the Penny-pinching handwringing of our fan base? It’s embarrassing.

Reactions: TRU2RU and ldwnmas
Yeah save $10 a month so that you miss 90% of RU MBB and 60% of RU Football games. Instead, buy yourself a sandwich.

WTF with the Penny-pinching handwringing of our fan base? It’s embarrassing.
First of all.. check your math. Since I'll be AT the home games it's less than 40% I would miss. Second, as other channels will now be covering us with 4 more teams and NOT on BTN it will be even less. Third, if you read on before adding your comments you would have seen I was talking more about the off season. You don't know my donor level or what I do with my money so stop. (you want to talk embarrassing I'll repost your Pacheco won't make the NFL unless he learn to long snap post)

Reactions: bac2therac
There, I've edited the title to be more in line with what I was really thinking/asking out loud.

A handful of times I'll put it on for a different game/sport while scrolling but will instantly bring back up the menu to find something better.

None of their opinions or reactions actually impact the play on the field so it's basically worthless to me.
Everyone on the pre-game could pick us to win or lose a game - that doesn't actually make us any more or less likely to win/lose.

What about other sports (if you watch) that you don't attend all the home games?
Kind of am the same way, but I used to watch the post games to see what the commentators had to say after another Rutgers loss, and it got repetitive, especially during the Ash years.
Like you, I look for games I want to watch, and don't tune to a network.
Whenever I scroll through the channel schedule, 90% of the time, there is NOTHING that makes me think to stop and watch BTN.
BTN needs to step up their game. You can turn on SEC network at any time and have a better product than what is being aired on BTN. SEC does a better job with Olympic sport coverage (either live or taped delayed) as well as pre-season post-season football content. BTN is nothing but Ohio State and Michigan repeats from the 80's 90's and early 2000's.
Agreed. It's lame, and the continual recycled games from the 1980's/1990's and the Big Ten elite segments of the same teams over and over is tiresome. As I said above, I rarely stop on BTN when scrolling through the schedule because 90% of the time there is nothing interesting on BTN.

First of all.. check your math. Since I'll be AT the home games it's less than 40% I would miss. Second, as other channels will now be covering us with 4 more teams and NOT on BTN it will be even less. Third, if you read on before adding your comments you would have seen I was talking more about the off season. You don't know my donor level or what I do with my money so stop. (you want to talk embarrassing I'll repost your Pacheco won't make the NFL unless he learn to long snap post)
Ok I stand corrected. Cut B10 Network in the off-season and buy yourself 5 sandwiches.

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Kind of am the same way, but I used to watch the post games to see what the commentators had to say after another Rutgers loss, and it got repetitive, especially during the Ash years.
Like you, I look for games I want to watch, and don't tune to a network.
Whenever I scroll through the channel schedule, 90% of the time, there is NOTHING that makes me think to stop and watch BTN.

Agreed. It's lame, and the continual recycled games from the 1980's/1990's and the Big Ten elite segments of the same teams over and over is tiresome. As I said above, I rarely stop on BTN when scrolling through the schedule because 90% of the time there is nothing interesting on BTN.
Look at it this way. The Big 10 is Ohio State, Michigan and X number of other schools. The Network is the same.

It drives State Penn fans nuts since they can't believe the world doesn't revolve around them (in this conference, the axis goes from Columbus to Ann Arbor). So I'm OK with it.

It's also far better than having the Providence Mob run the conference.

Last edited:

It’s the stress.

There is a filing cabinet in my office that is still mad at me for kicking it when Ito was missing all those FGs at Illinois in 2005. In the past my men have learned not to bother the boss when Rutgers is on. LOL

When I am at the game, regular or bowl/tournament, I’m already “trapped” so I somehow have to deal with my issues.

Last edited:
Look at it this way. The Big 10 is Ohio State, Michigan and X number of other schools. The Network is the same.

It drives State Penn fans nuts since they can't believe the world doesn't revolve around them (in this conference, the axis goes from Columbus to Ann Arbor). So I'm OK with it.

It's also far better than having the Providence Mob run the conference.
Hey, if I were a PSU fan I WOULD be nuts. They add A LOT of football value to this league. But the point of adding Rutgers was getting the NY Market eyeballs and we don't seem to get much of any (non-basketball) coverage and I would bet viewership in this market has fallen. AND my OP was what happens when you add 4 more high profile teams? IF we got our fair share that would be 5.5% of coverage going forward. In reality It is going to be like 2-3 %.

It’s the stress.

There is a filing cabinet in my office that is still mad at me for kicking it when Ito was missing all those FGs at Illinois in 2005. In the past my men have learned not to bother the boss when Rutgers is on. LOL

When I am at the game, regular or bowl/tournament, I’m already “trapped” so I somehow have to deal with my issues.

My neighbor in the South Tower was a big soccer fan - especially EPL.
His fridge had a dent in it from a Liverpool game.
Don't know how he didn't break a toe.

My neighbor in the South Tower was a big soccer fan - especially EPL.
His fridge had a dent in it from a Liverpool game.
Don't know how he didn't break a toe.
A fire, where am I first due and the first one in as the boss, is easier on my heart than a close RU Athletics contest.🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Win and it’ll change… it’s really that simple. Look at the Baltimore Orioles right now, horrible forever but now are the darlings of baseball that every national media can’t get enough of because they were able to rebuild and become relevant. If RU managed to creep into the top 25, you’d start seeing the attention
This. During Schiano 1.0 Rutgers was getting very little airtime. Then that magical 2006 season came and R U became the darling of the sports world.
If Schiano can get RU to repeat something similar we will get lots of press because we live within the NY sports bubble. Winning creates all sorts of good things!

Reactions: cicero grimes
On the plus side, if Rutgers ever starts to be a factor in an 18 team B1G, with teams like OSU, UM, PSU, USC, and Oregon, the media will have no choice but to talk about Rutgers.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think networks can't get enough live game coverage in the age of internet streaming because it's a captive audience for advertisers. They'll make room for games, I suspect.

This. During Schiano 1.0 Rutgers was getting very little airtime. Then that magical 2006 season came and R U became the darling of the sports world.
If Schiano can get RU to repeat something similar we will get lots of press because we live within the NY sports bubble. Winning creates all sorts of good things!
Initially I was going to say, that was a different time and a different kind of media back then. Meaning not as much 24/7 coverage we have now on multiple platforms.

But then there are the two points below…
On the plus side, if Rutgers ever starts to be a factor in an 18 team B1G, with teams like OSU, UM, PSU, USC, and Oregon, the media will have no choice but to talk about Rutgers.

I think networks can't get enough live game coverage in the age of internet streaming because it's a captive audience for advertisers. They'll make room for games, I suspect.
Maybe if we just Al Davis it, baby…we will be okay.🤷‍♂️

yeah.. I am a little worried about this.

Probably more worried about B1G front office trying a cash grab and making BTN+ the prime way to watch.. subscriptions.

I live in upstate NY. I have Spectrum as my provider as do many others here. I find it interesting that they have just the one BIG channel and the one ACC channel while they have a ton of PAC 12 channels! I am going to take a wild guess that there are a lot more fans of the BIG and ACC than there are for the PAC 12.
The game is clearly keep on ponying up more and more money to see your team play. Should be interesting to see what I will be seeing next season with the apparent death of the PAC 12.
I just came back from a trip to the mid-West and was kind of stunned to see the entire BIG 10 overflow channels on my motel TV in Iowa. Watched the RU/VT game.

I live in upstate NY. I have Spectrum as my provider as do many others here. I find it interesting that they have just the one BIG channel and the one ACC channel while they have a ton of PAC 12 channels! I am going to take a wild guess that there are a lot more fans of the BIG and ACC than there are for the PAC 12.
The game is clearly keep on ponying up more and more money to see your team play. Should be interesting to see what I will be seeing next season with the apparent death of the PAC 12.
I just came back from a trip to the mid-West and was kind of stunned to see the entire BIG 10 overflow channels on my motel TV in Iowa. Watched the RU/VT game.

Spectrum in Bergen County. Sports package gets you all 3 B1G channels, 1 ACC and 1 SEC channel. There are about 6 PAC channels that are not included and are a separate charge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT