ADVERTISEMENT

F Ed Cooley

Wow.. watching his presser afterward I had the exact opposite reaction.. I like that guy.. sure, he whines during the game like Izzo.. but I like Izzo too... just not DURING the games.

Cooley asked young reporters to not just sit there.. to ask the hard questions. How can anyone have a problem with that?

most of the press conference he does come off as pretty likable (compared to his on-court demeanor which makes him look uniquely douchey)

however, the thing with the reporters was weird and unnecessary.

Reactions: RUDead
most of the press conference he does come off as pretty likable (compared to his on-court demeanor which makes him look uniquely douchey)

agree with first part, obviously.. but we don't know what Cooley saw.. here's me stepping in huis shoes and guessing.

Coaches and players HAVE to make themselves available. Do you think they really want to come out and talk to media after a loss? They have to be there. And after he and his players showed up and were willing to answer any questions he sees (my guess part) some young reporters staring at their phones slumped in their chairs.. with nothing to ask.. not respecting the time that the Coach and players has allotted for them.. no respect for them showing up... yeah.. I can see such a reaction. Not necessary.. not even advisable, right? But understandable.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
wow. gotta go racia on ya. G'town has had the fewest starting white kids at that level than any other on the Eas Coast and he comes out to the humble zone, and takes a poor white kid with him? Wuzzup wit dat?

agree with first part, obviously.. but we don't know what Cooley saw.. here's me stepping in huis shoes and guessing.

Coaches and players HAVE to make themselves available. Do you think they really want to come out and talk to media after a loss? They have to be there. And after he and his players showed up and were willing to answer any questions he sees (my guess part) some young reporters staring at their phones slumped in their chairs.. with nothing to ask.. not respecting the time that the Coach and players has allotted for them.. no respect for them showing up... yeah.. I can see such a reaction. Not necessary.. not even advisable, right? But understandable.
I'd love to know what really set him off . Rather than fan speculation does anyone who was there care to clarify

Cooley asked young reporters to not just sit there.. to ask the hard questions. How can anyone have a problem with that?

Exactly.

I'm mentoring a good young student-reporter at USF. I do know that they can get intimidated by coaches. Especially the head coach after his team has lost.

When I asked the kid why he didn't ask the football coach a question about a particular player he told me that "I was trying to get my questions in. I am still learning to use my big kid voice in these press conferences."

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
He's one of the main reasons Cam entered the portal, as it was his expected landing spot after some tampering was involved. However once in the portal, he realized how much more value he actually had.
And Cam grew up about 30 miles from Georgetown, so his interest in them made sense

And Cam grew up about 30 miles from Georgetown, so his interest in them made sense
Interesting.. so Cam Spencer wen to the portal thinking of playing for Georgetown because Cooley was headed there? .. a dream of his? That makes me think more kindly of his move.. eventually, to UCONN.

Great player.. wish we still had him.. but such is life.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Me either. He allegedly threatened to kill Mark Turgeon.

Did he deserve to be killed?

Kidding aside, I give Howard the benefit of the doubt. I admire his competitiveness - just think he just needs to remind himself he’s not a player anymore and needs to consistently carry himself like the leader of one of the most storied programs in bball history - and a mentor and example to young men. All reports are that he’s one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet - off the court.

People being upset because Ed Cooley called out some “ young reporters, ” ahhhhhhhhh shame on him.”

Did he deserve to be killed?

Kidding aside, I give Howard the benefit of the doubt. I admire his competitiveness - just think he just needs to remind himself he’s not a player anymore and needs to consistently carry himself like the leader of one of the most storied programs in bball history - and a mentor and example to young men. All reports are that he’s one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet - off the court.
I don't remember what set him off about Turgeon.

There was also the incident against Wisconsin when he hit one of the Badgers coaches.

his young reporter comments made national news--no one can figure out why he was being a dick

Reactions: RedTeam1994
He just spews negativity - all the time. Never once did I see him offer encouragement or any positive feedback of any kind to his players. All he did was yell at them and, frankly, mock them … all game long. All game. Just a really negative guy.

And btw I didn’t say the same about our friend franny from iowa (as much as he’s a baby towards the refs I didn’t see that negative behavior towards his players)
Actually noticed several times when Cooley hugged a player coming off the court and talked to them

Actually noticed several times when Cooley hugged a player coming off the court and talked to them

maybe he did. but when a player would mess up he often angrily and demonstatively yelled at them and then would turn to the bench and make comments (and the body language was suggesting that he was not making it a "learning moment" (as coaches do) instead it looked like he was basically saying "what the f*#k is he doing?" while throwing his arms up in the way people do when they're saying "wtf?"

as the coach he is the "boss" of the team . and as it goes for any boss - its not good form to bad-mouth an employee to your staff when they mess up. thats what it looked like he was doing in those moments after his players messed up (turning to his players and saying "what the f$%k is he doing" while putting his arms up like "wtf?".

• Love
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Honestly, it seemed like tough love he wanted them to be more engaged and ask questions, not just be happy to be in the room.

Think @Richard Schnyderite or @Alec Crouthamel can provide more context as I think they were there.
He was mad because no one gave a crap about his team. If he cared about the reporters he would have stayed and allowed them to ask questions.

Then he swears and leaves.. class act.

Last edited:
maybe he did. but when a player would mess up he often angrily and demonstatively yelled at them and then would turn to the bench and make comments (and the body language was suggesting that he was not making it a "learning moment" (as coaches do) instead it looked like he was basically saying "what the f*#k is he doing?" while throwing his arms up in the way people do when they're saying "wtf?"

as the coach he is the "boss" of the team . and as it goes for any boss - its not good form to bad-mouth an employee to your staff when they mess up. thats what it looked like he was doing in those moments after his players messed up (turning to his players and saying "what the f$%k is he doing" while putting his arms up like "wtf?".
Cooley has been a pretty successful coach over a long time . He has a good enough body of work to say his style works and he is a good coach

• Haha
his young reporter comments made national news--no one can figure out why he was being a dick
Because he wasn't being a dick. He could have been friendlier but his team lost & he's getting mediocre questions so he's probably wondering why he is there.

From the USA TODAY story:
It’s unclear from the video who was in the room, but Cooley is not wrong for asking for more accountable journalism. However, if he felt some young writers needed to jump at the opportunity to grow, he also had to create a welcoming environment for them."

Also from the USA TODAY story:
A little bit of grace and understanding goes a long way.

Reactions: Plum Street
Because he wasn't being a dick. He could have been friendlier but his team lost & he's getting mediocre questions so he's probably wondering why he is there.

It’s unclear from the video who was in the room, but Cooley is not wrong for asking for more accountable journalism. However, if he felt some young writers needed to jump at the opportunity to grow, he also had to create a welcoming environment for them."

Jerry Recco, who calls the games on radio for RU, said something similar during his update the next morning on Boomer and Gio on WFAN. Jerry said he wasn't in the room at the time, but mainly Rutgers beat guys were covering the game in person and they probably weren't too interested in what Cooley had to say, so they didn't ask many or very good questions, as heard on the audio.

Jerry speculated that he was probably like, "Why am I wasting my time with this?" and was likely annoyed. He's right though. If you're going to be in the room, make some sort of effort. It's not like he's a nobody in college basketball and the storyline of rebuilding a one-time blue blood that has fallen on very hard times is an interesting one.

He just spews negativity - all the time. Never once did I see him offer encouragement or any positive feedback of any kind to his players. All he did was yell at them and, frankly, mock them … all game long. All game. Just a really negative guy.

And btw I didn’t say the same about our friend franny from iowa (as much as he’s a baby towards the refs I didn’t see that negative behavior towards his players)
Coach Fran at least isn't an unlikeable douche towards his own players or off court from what I've seen.

Out of character from Ed, though an objective hearing of the entire interview shows most of it went smooth before he zinged the youngsters in the room.

At Providence, Ed was respected as a coach who gave his players credit when the team won - which was most of the time as PC went to 7 NCAA tournaments in Ed's 12 years there - and accepted the blame when the team lost. Unlike Greg or Pike, Ed is a household name in Rhode Island because Providence College basketball has been the biggest sports draw for decades.

Seems like Ed got under people's skin. Perhaps he's flustered that has big fish in small Providence pond and now is unknown in his new job playing more games in major markets. Let's wait and see what Ed accomplishes with the Georgetown turnaround try.

Jerry Recco, who calls the games on radio for RU, said something similar during his update the next morning on Boomer and Gio on WFAN. Jerry said he wasn't in the room at the time, but mainly Rutgers beat guys were covering the game in person and they probably weren't too interested in what Cooley had to say, so they didn't ask many or very good questions, as heard on the audio.

Jerry speculated that he was probably like, "Why am I wasting my time with this?" and was likely annoyed. He's right though. If you're going to be in the room, make some sort of effort. It's not like he's a nobody in college basketball and the storyline of rebuilding a one-time blue blood that has fallen on very hard times is an interesting one.
If there wasn't media from Washington, DC that covers Georgetown at the game then Cooley should be upset at his SID for bringing him into the room.

If there were only a couple media members from Washington, DC then he could have done an interview with them outside the locker room and then headed to the bus.

Either way, the more I learn about the situation the more it seems like the Georgetown SID needs to be better at their job, unless there is some Gavitt Games requirement to do a post game interview in the media room.

Reactions: RUPete
If there wasn't media from Washington, DC that covers Georgetown at the game then Cooley should be upset at his SID for bringing him into the room.

If there were only a couple media members from Washington, DC then he could have done an interview with them outside the locker room and then headed to the bus.

Either way, the more I learn about the situation the more it seems like the Georgetown SID needs to be better at their job, unless there is some Gavitt Games requirement to do a post game interview in the media room.
Good point and I don’t know about a Gavitt Games requirement. Could be an agreement between the leagues to ensure accessibility.

Fox News article wonders why he was annoyed at questions asked and it's unclear why he reacted as he did. Do you have any idea what pissed him off? I heard more than several questions asked but was he pissed that his guard was asked what when wrong and took a mea culpa?

Fox News article wonders why he was annoyed at questions asked and it's unclear why he reacted as he did. Do you have any idea what pissed him off? I heard more than several questions asked but was he pissed that his guard was asked what when wrong and took a mea culpa?
It was probably more than one thing that got under Cooley's skin.

I'm surprised Cooley brought players in the room with him on the road after a loss. I'm REALLY surprised that he brought Brumbaugh. He is a freshman and he committed five turnovers and shot it poorly.

Below are the questions that were asked. The first three were good then it went downhill fast.

Early offense got you back into the game in the first half, but it didn’t carry over into the second. What happened?

Would it mean a lot to you for the Big East to pull [out a win in the Gavit Games] and how do you think the Big East has done with the Gavit Games so far?

Dontrez Styles played pretty well in the first half, then struggled a little bit in the second and got hurt. Has he now established his base line with you in terms of production?

What did you think of Rutgers’ guards?

Rowan [Brumbaugh], how would you rate your performance today, personally?

What other differences did Rutgers provide from this year to last year?

Remember, these coaches don't want to do these press conferences. Win or lose they don't want to do these press conferences, they want to move on to the next game.

Their expectation of the media is that we're going to be professional and we're going to have good questions for them.

The 'what did you think of Rutgers' guards,' question made me cringe. It was a lazy time wasting question that was a pretty good indicator that the media had probably run out of good questions.

As soon as it was answered I was expecting the Georgetown SID to rescue the coach and players and say "We have time for one more question."

He is a tough love kinda person. Ed Cooley is the kind of coach who is loved by his players but hated by fans of the opposing teams.

I think he will win a lot of games at Georgetown.
Maybe he can try winning tournament games at this stop?

Sure as hell didn’t do that as the last one

I don't see it that way
The worst thing he said was basically don't sit there and be afraid of asking the tough question you want to ask

I think most fans here are interpreting it wrong

A lot of coaches would love to get through a press meeting without painful questions, after a loss

He did not insult any individual reporter
He is different, and better for it

Last edited:

To be fair, most of these pressers stink

It took a long time for someone to ask schiano about the Michigan sign stealing scandal in the Indiana post game.
This site did a whole interview with ambrosio without even asking about the Michigan kick .
And It was the great plum that exposed the caroo arrest BS in 2015 . Legendary !!

To be fair, most of these pressers stink

It took a long time for someone to ask schiano about the Michigan sign stealing scandal in the Indiana post game.
This site did a whole interview with ambrosio without even asking about the Michigan kick .
And It was the great plum that exposed the caroo arrest BS in 2015 . Legendary !!
Ya know, it always comes back to Plum.

Maybe he can try winning tournament games at this stop?

Sure as hell didn’t do that as the last one
Cooley hasn't won many NCAA Tournament games but Providence advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2022.

So he sure as hell won some tournament games at his last stop.

Cooley hasn't won many NCAA Tournament games but Providence advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2022.

So he sure as hell won some tournament games at his last stop.
Cooley coached Providence to the NCAAs in 7 out of 12 seasons, including last season. Not bad for a tiny Catholic college in a small city within a region with a shallow pool of star recruits.

To put Ed's accomplishments in perspective, Rutgers has been to 8 NCAA tournaments in school history.

Too much Ed hating here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT