ADVERTISEMENT

Flo - NCAA D1 Dual Rankings

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
RU checks in at #15 nationally and #7 in the B1G. I agree with the projected starters except for 165, I'm assuming Kanniard goes there since he was wrestling there at the end of last year.

Projected Starters
125: #19 Nic Aguilar
133: #6 Sammy Alvarez
141: #2 Sebastian Rivera
149: Gerard Angelo/Ryan Vulakh
157: Robert Kanniard/Mike Van Brill
165: Brett Donner
174: #23 Joe Grello/Jackson Turley
184: John Poznanski
197: #16 at 184 Billy Janzer
285: Christian Colucci/Boone McDermott/Alex Esposito

Sebastian Rivera adds more spark to an already fun Scarlet Knight’s lineup. Just imagine what Nick Suriano would do to it? While the NCAA champion is enrolled for summer school, it’s still yet to be determined if he will wrestle for Rutgers this coming season. This is another team that I really like their upside with either Gerard Angelo or Ryan Vulakh at 149, Robby Kanniard at 157, John Poznanski at 184 possibly, and Colucci or Bonne McDermott will be an upgrade at heavyweight from last season.

2020-21 NCAA D1 Dual Rankings

Vanbrill will be manning the 157 weight class again after really coming on strong at BIG Ten tournament. He will make another jump in his last year.

Vulakh is going to have a productive season as long as he is healthy.

Kanniard should be able to compete for 165. He should be a lot bigger and stronger.
I see Turley redshirting this season.

The only thing that concerns me about Kanniard is that when he wrestled Van Brill in the Open tournament, he was ridden for about 4 minutes if I'm remembering correctly, seemed out muscled and couldn't score, Van Brill won fairly easy 7-2. He could be out muscled by Donner as well, but maybe Kanniard also gets bigger and stronger for this season. It will be fun to watch how it all shakes out.

Vanbrill dominated him in the wrestle off plus beat him twice if im not mistaken in tournaments ...not saying he wont be challenged but not by Kanniard imo

I’m not expecting Rivera to wrestle this year. He came to RU to wrestle in front of his home fans. Unless something drastically changes, I don’t expect fans to be in attendance and if they are, it’s going to be very limited capacity.

Reactions: elvis7
Vanbrill dominated him in the wrestle off plus beat him twice if im not mistaken in tournaments ...not saying he wont be challenged but not by Kanniard imo
Kanniard in October wasn’t the same wrestler as Kannaird in March. MVB also improved but to say Kanniard won’t challenge him is kind of silly. Probably doesn’t matter though since they’ll likely be at different weights.

Reactions: koleszar
The only thing that concerns me about Kanniard is that when he wrestled Van Brill in the Open tournament, he was ridden for about 4 minutes if I'm remembering correctly, seemed out muscled and couldn't score, Van Brill won fairly easy 7-2. He could be out muscled by Donner as well, but maybe Kanniard also gets bigger and stronger for this season. It will be fun to watch how it all shakes out.
Bottom is usually where true-frosh have the most difficult time adjusting to college wrestling. A full year of wrestling in a college room should pay big dividends in that regard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT