ADVERTISEMENT

For Areyounuts and others--I was wrong !!!

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I didn't get the several year negativity toward Kyle Flood by AYN and others--well I have now. It is not the fault of the student-athletes who are here now,but I really had no idea how bad Flood was at recruiting until the past month.I feel like I am watching Towson,Maine,SUNY-Plattsburgh or Fordham play football,instead of The State University of New Jersey. I hope it does not take too many years for Coach Ash to dig us out of this whole. Hopefully, we can at least look respectable in 2018.

Flood has very little to do with the mess Ash has created. Get a new job and see how many times you could point the finger at the guy you replaced.

Reactions: njrexguy
hey Towson just beat URI on a 55 yrd field goal on last play of games Saturday,leave them out of this!:grimace:

Flood has very little to do with the mess Ash has created. Get a new job and see how many times you could point the finger at the guy you replaced.

Flood had everything to do with what is wrong with the football program, from the arrests, to the bad recruiting, to the news that broke today.

Rutgers should sue him to get back some of the money they paid him as it is obvious he was asleep at the wheel.

In all sincerity, I spent the first two years as a regional sales manager repairing relationships and building back trust all over my sales territory due too the horrible job done by my predecessor. It happens, and I'm the poster boy.

Reactions: tico brown
The only thing Flood had very little to do with was elevating our football program to a higher level. I don't see any schools out there offering him even a job as a position coach! Why not, I ask myself. Could we have been wrong about him all this time?

Only in terms of degree.

Flood cannot be blamed for everything we see.

No he can't! We have young coaches with little experience learning on the job and they have all made their mistakes. But I'll take new coaches with a vision for the future over what I have been witnessing over the the last four years.

giphy.gif

I should be banned because I criticize a head coach who may finish the season with a 2-10 record. I should be banned because I believe the team has no continuity specifically on offense due to a lack of development and coaching. I should be banned because I don't buy into the terrible recruiting angle that is used in order to give Coach Ash an excuse. I understand football well enough to know a team with equal talent can be competitive if the players on that roster are properly developed. You guys want me banned because I have a different opinion on Coach Ash. Well, whose Head are you going to call for after the Maryland game?

Last edited:
I should be banned because I criticize a head coach who may finish the season with a 2-10 record. I should be banned because I believethe team has no continuity specifically on offense due to a lack of development and coaching. I should be banned because I don't buy into the terrible recruiting angle that is used in order to give Coach Ash an excuse. ?

Whereas some of us called this season (and next) as far back as 3 years ago you, and some others, simply refuse to face the reality that is our unbelievable lack of talent, depth, and just as importantly athleticism. Instead you choose to lay the blame on the guy who inherited this roster and is trying to build it back up.

IIRC we dropped 5 passes in 3-series stretch, late 3rd/early 4th, Saturday night. Do you realize how bad our WR's are? Those drops ended potential drives and put PSU back on the field to score against a worn-down D. That's NOT on Ash. That's NOT on playcalling by DM, either. Shit, we might have the single worst group of WR's in the nation, without Grant, and are only marginally better - as a unit - with him.

Last edited:
Whereas some of us called this season (and next) as far back as 3 years ago you, and some others, simply refuse to face the reality that is our unbelievable lack of talent, depth, and just as importantly athleticism. Instead you choose to lay the blame on the guy who inherited this roster and is trying to build it back up.

We dropped no less than 5 passes Saturday night. Do you realize how bad our WR's are? We might have the single worst group of WR's in the nation, without Grant, and are only marginally better - as a unit - with him.

And, slow.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I should be banned because I criticize a head coach who may finish the season with a 2-10 record. I should be banned because I believethe team has no continuity specifically on offense due to a lack of development and coaching. I should be banned because I don't buy into the terrible recruiting angle that is used in order to give Coach Ash an excuse. I understand football well enough to know a team with the lack of talent can be competitive if the players on that roster are properly developed. You guys want me banned because I have a different opinion on Coach Ash. Well, whose Head are you going to call for after the Maryland game?

Short answer: Yes

Reactions: superfan01
I should be banned because I criticize a head coach who may finish the season with a 2-10 record. I should be banned because I believethe team has no continuity specifically on offense due to a lack of development and coaching. I should be banned because I don't buy into the terrible recruiting angle that is used in order to give Coach Ash an excuse. I understand football well enough to know a team with the lack of talent can be competitive if the players on that roster are properly developed. You guys want me banned because I have a different opinion on Coach Ash. Well, whose Head are you going to call for after the Maryland game?

I don't think you should be banned, but you might want to try a. not being a negative whiner in EVERY post and b. not getting facts completely wrong, every time.

Reactions: mildone
I didn't get the several year negativity toward Kyle Flood by AYN and others--well I have now. It is not the fault of the student-athletes who are here now,but I really had no idea how bad Flood was at recruiting until the past month.I feel like I am watching Towson,Maine,SUNY-Plattsburgh or Fordham play football,instead of The State University of New Jersey. I hope it does not take too many years for Coach Ash to dig us out of this whole. Hopefully, we can at least look respectable in 2018.

Don't disparage Fordham. I saw them twice and they looked efficient and well coached. Their spread offense actually works. They're 8-3 with one of their losses to Navy. Joe Morehead did a nice job at Fordham and left a strong team.

Heaven, Flood was awful! His recruiting set us back at least three years. Look at the classes he brought in including the 78th ranked class from last year. Do you think that will cut it in the B1G? (Rhetorical.)

Give it a rest RU31

Give ash 3 years. Let's see how recruiting and improvement goes.
Very reasonable superfan, but it's going to be tough to give him more time than that. One year is gone. Next year even worse. But if we don't have tangible improvement (and I don't mean fewer penalties) we need to consider moving on. I don't expect a winning record but we need to get 4 wins by year 3.

I really hate it when posters use the lack talent argument in defense of Ash and this disaster of a season. I don't think it is fair to the players.

I think some the blame has to go to the coaches, their games plans, play calling, and lack of player development.

I think that the star rating of the team as a whole doesn't warrant labeling them as lacking in talent.

I really hate it when posters use the lack talent argument in defense of Ash and this disaster of a season. I don't think it is fair to the players.

I think some the blame has to go to the coaches, their games plans, play calling, and lack of player development.

I think that the star rating of the team as a whole doesn't warrant labeling them as lacking in talent.

So you don't think that the teams who have blown us out - PSU, Wash, OSU, Mich, MSU - aren't more talented, bigger, stronger, faster, or athletic than us? If so I'm not sure what you're watching. I love every kids who puts that "R" on but facts are facts and our roster simply isn't where it needs to be right now. We have WR's who drop balls left-and-right, an OL that has issues, TE's who can't block, LB's who are incredibly young and inexperienced, a punter and kicker who should not be doing so for a P5 team, and lack quality depth at most position groups. Shit, even Ash basically has said it, multiple times this season, in so many words. The reason we kept certain games tight (Iowa, Minny, IU, Illinois (TO's killed us)) is because, talent and overall athleticism-wise, we're much more similar. Would have been nice to pull 1 or 2 of those out, however!

Very reasonable superfan, but it's going to be tough to give him more time than that. One year is gone. Next year even worse. But if we don't have tangible improvement (and I don't mean fewer penalties) we need to consider moving on. I don't expect a winning record but we need to get 4 wins by year 3.
RUSK!!!!! Please amend your post!!! Four wins by year 3!!!! If you're joking and trying to get a rise out of some posters I get it. However, if your serious please say your expecting a 6-6 or 7-5 season in year three

Flood really dug a hole that really was overlooked because of the decent seasons from 2012 to 2014.

After the 2012 class it went downhill pretty quick in terms of rank. 2013 - 44, 2014 - 58, 2015 - 54, 2016 - 78

The lack of recruiting in 2014 is now being felt.

Throw in that most of these players do not have the skill-set for this offense plus Grant getting injured and you have the perfect storm.

If you compare GS's situation when he started VS. CA now, CA will turn it around quicker.

I believe most of this class will stick, as Ash has been selling this as a rebuilding year. 2 good years of classes ranked 30 or better and we should be on the upswing. Next year may be a 5 or 6 win season.

Last edited:
RUSK!!!!! Please amend your post!!! Four wins by year 3!!!! If you're joking and trying to get a rise out of some posters I get it. However, if your serious please say your expecting a 6-6 or 7-5 season in year three
I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone, but it's a moving target y'know? First step, I want to see who signs letters in February. Next, how much can they contribute next year? I think the true freshmen will play lots of minutes whether or not they're better because they'll fit the schemes better. But I don't expect 2017 to be any less miserable. We might eek out wins against Morgan State and Eastern Michigan, though I expect to lose to the latter too. It's tough to go 1-11 in year 2 to 6-6 or 7-5 in year 3. The best players will be true sophomores. I also don't expect any changes in OC, so playcalling will still be erratic due to inexperience. So 4-8 is what I'd expect in 2018. Less than that and I would hope Hobbs would consider making a change.

Not trying top be political.
But since Washington left office just about every 4/8 years the new guy points the finger at the one he replaced.
But in FB it is true because if the old guy was doing a good job he wouldn't have been replaced ( retirements and moving up career wise are the exceptions and sometime those coaches get the finger) .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT