ADVERTISEMENT

Big Picture: This was ALWAYS a Rebuild Year and We’ve Exceeded Expectations

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Stop with MAG! Please! He’s not the reason we suddenly stink!!

This loss had ZERO to do with depth
Agreed. The on court IQ has always been suspect and has cost us in the past. This was no different with the exception of there being multiply brain farts resulting in the loss.

Maybe I am being too hard but multiple times during games I saw WTF are you doing/thinking. Maybe that is the same with other teams, but I just don’t think that is the case.

we had a 10 point lead with 70 seconds and the new hot take is that we lost because Mag isnt playing

If you’re referring to what I posted i was not saying we lost tonight because of Mag. It was about the full body of work with and without him.

Minnesota is one of the worst Power 5 teams in the country and we played okay all game and then like complete dogshit in then last few minutes…of course we didn’t lose because of Mag.

We obviously should have won anyway. No one is disputing that. No one.

It blinds you to the fact that we would have won with Mag

We beat Minnesota by 35 with Mag

we lost to seton hall and scored 43 with Mag too

obviously the loss of Mag is why we went from possible 4 seed to possible NIT one seed but it doesnt excuse the horrific play of certain players on the team...and im leaving Cliff out of this and mostly Cam though his defense directly resulted in the last shot be open

The premise of this thread is bullsh!t, and tonight is a bad time to start shoveling in this board.

we lost to seton hall and scored 43 with Mag too

obviously the loss of Mag is why we went from possible 4 seed to possible NIT one seed but it doesnt excuse the horrific play of certain players on the team...and im leaving Cliff out of this and mostly Cam though his defense directly resulted in the last shot be open
Pointing to a random loss with Mag is meaningless

No one is excusing anything. Everyone is rolling the team and the coach in every thread

Worst basketball loss I have ever seen. Worse than Reggie Miller crushing Knicks in playoffs and flashing choke sign in 1990s. Sigh.

Worst basketball loss I have ever seen. Worse than Reggie Miller crushing Knicks in playoffs and flashing choke sign in 1990s. Sigh.
Quite honestly, I think the brutality of the loss will either affect their play Sunday and we lose, or even if we somehow win, at best we get Dayton, if not still outside looking in.

If they make the tournament this loss will have no impact on their play. Why would they even care? The purpose of winning this game is to make the tournament. They're not going to be suiting up for the tournament game and thinking back to the Minnesota loss.

Reactions: FinalFourOrBust
Mag started every game and was arguably our best defender. He brought 8pts a game to a team that struggles to score and also did well on the glass (5 rebs a game).

We went 8-4 with Mag against some of the tougher teams in the conference.

We lose Mag and have to fill his 25 minutes a game across a very thin bench.

We then go 2-5 against a bit of easier schedule of conference.

Sorry you can’t tell me that has nothing to do with Mag.

But it’s our starters that have been horrible. Not our bench.

You can argue Simpson is the reason we beat PSU. Would Simpson had played if Mag wasn’t hurt? You can argue Plamqvists 3’s kept us in other games as well.

We aren’t losing cause of a thin bench. We’re losing because our starters-Paul, Caleb..have been ice cold

Reactions: William J. Leggett
If they make the tournament this loss will have no impact on their play. Why would they even care? The purpose of winning this game is to make the tournament. They're not going to be suiting up for the tournament game and thinking back to the Minnesota loss.
Committee will leave them out unless they get two in a row, IMO. This loss gives them all the ammunition in world to not put RU in unless we beat NW by like 20, which won't happen.

I think he's referring to the actual game in which we beat Minnesota by 35 with Mag lol

Ha…ok. But that’s a dumb thing to do. We lost to Michigan State bt 17 with Mag. Beat them without him for most of the game

Committee will leave them out unless they get two in a row, IMO. This loss gives them all the ammunition in world to not put RU in unless we beat NW by like 20, which won't happen.
Meh, don't agree.

I will say that if we DO lose Sunday and Mulcahy has the gall to blame it on this game like he did with SHU/OSU I will lose my shit.

Meh, don't agree.

I will say that if we DO lose Sunday and Mulcahy has the gall to blame it on this game like he did with SHU/OSU I will lose my shit.
If Paul is that gutless and has the gall to blame that on spineless play should this team lose to NW then I want him gone after the season.

I believe there remains a negative Rutgers bias based on history. We have gotten bids last three years, but we earned them late. This year we are falling apart late, and team isn't the same as it was before Mag went down. I think they use this horrific loss to bury our chances, unfortunately.

But it’s our starters that have been horrible. Not our bench.

You can argue Simpson is the reason we beat PSU. Would Simpson had played if Mag wasn’t hurt? You can argue Plamqvists 3’s kept us in other games as well.

We aren’t losing cause of a thin bench. We’re losing because our starters-Paul, Caleb..have been ice cold

Our starters haven’t been horrible for every game during the 2-5 stretch, or even during all of the losses.

Our margin for winning and depth were very thin with Mag.

The body of work with and without Mag is enough now for me to say - yes his loss is a factor in going 2-5.

Agree to disagree.

I believe there remains a negative Rutgers bias based on history. We have gotten bids last three years, but we earned them late. This year we are falling apart late, and team isn't the same as it was before Mag went down. I think they use this horrific loss to bury our chances, unfortunately.
We got a bid with a shaky resume last year. I don't think there's any evidence of an anti-Rutgers bias. And I'm not sure why there would be.

Our starters haven’t been horrible for every game during the 2-5 stretch, or even during all of the losses.

Our margin for winning and depth were very thin with Mag.

The body of work with and without Mag is enough now for me to say - yes his loss is a factor in going 2-5.

Agree to disagree.

A factor. Sure. No doubt,

The reason? No way.

“Factor” in going 2-5.

“Reason” in going 2-5.

If he was a factor in losing 5 out of 7 games then maybe we don’t lose 5 out of 7 games….seems like semantics to me.

And if Paul suddenly didn’t suddenly get ice cold…maybe we don’t lose 5 out of 7 games.

Lots of factors going into this slump. But there’s no one reason

We have to stop with blaming the slump on Mag.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT