ADVERTISEMENT

Big Picture: This was ALWAYS a Rebuild Year and We’ve Exceeded Expectations

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Remember when threads were started that said “Snip Snip” regarding my statement that it was so inconceivable to me that wed finish top 5 thatd id get a vascetomy if we did.

I came into the season predicting 16-15 which was 8-3 OOC and 8-12 in B1G play.

We came into this season losing the heart and soul of the program in ron and geo. We had no alpha. We had a total lack of depth. We had a lack of athletes. We had a lack of proven scorers. Yet you all said I was insane to think we were in for a rebuild type of year.

Then came purdue and that really just warped peoples minds. People really thought we were a potential 4 seed! Had we not beaten purdue, tonight still wouldve sucked but you guys wouldnt have gotten ahead of yourselves with your unrealistic expectations.

Tonight was a bad loss but the season as a whole is a success. We shouldnt even be in position to be on the bubble with this kind of roster. Next year will be another transitionary year where hopefully we can land on the bubble again as we hand the baton off to Gavin and he grows into a 4 year leader for us.

Just take a step back, realize that you were unrealistic and appreciate that with this roster we are even in position to land a bid

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when threads were started that said “Snip Snip” regarding my statement that it was so inconceivable to me that wed finish top 5 thatd id get a vascetomy if we did.

We came into this season losing the heart and soul of the program in ron and geo. We had no alpha. We had a total lack of depth. We had a lack of athletes. We had a lack of proven scorers. Yet you all said I was insane to think we were in for a rebuild type of year.

Then came purdue and that really just warped peoples minds. People really thought we were a potential 4 seed! Had we not beaten purdue tonight still wouldve sucked but you guys wouldnt have gotten ahead of yourselves with your unrealistic expectations.

Tonight was a bad loss but the season as a whole is a success. We shouldnt even be in position to be on the bubble with this kind of roster. Next year will be another transitionary year where hopefully we can land on the bubble again as we hand the baton off to Gavin and he grows into a 4 year leader for us.

Just take a step back, realize that you were unrealistic and appreciate that with this roster we are even in position to land a bid

Your vascetomy could easily be determined from the last minute of an epic collapse against one of the worst Power 5 teams in the country.

But we were unrealistic?

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004

Then came purdue and that really just warped peoples minds. People really thought we were a potential 4 seed! Had we not beaten purdue tonight still wouldve sucked but you guys wouldnt have gotten ahead of yourselves with your unrealistic expectations.

We lost to 1-16 Minnesota up double digits with a minute and change left.

Reactions: bac2therac

Agreed that this isn’t a ncaa tournament roster. Definitely overachieved this year. I think if Cliff comes back and we get a good guard in the portal, we’ll be a tourney team next year. I think Gavin is going to be really good even as a freshmen

Reactions: William J. Leggett
We came back from 19 on the road as well.
Wow I’m surprised you’re the voice of reason. Excited to see the team with some true scorers and point guards who are a threat to drive to the basket. It may have taken Pike a bit long to figure out missing pieces but he clearly figured it out and is on the way to fixing it with A+ recruiting.

We came back from 19 on the road as well.

The team played great ball to end the PSU game.

Also, not sure what that has to do with my statement “your vascetomy could easily be determined from the last minute of an epic collapse against one of the worst Power 5 teams in the country”.

You’re saying we were unrealistic when all signs would point to YOU being unrealistic.

Please. Team is a bunch of mental midgets and thankfully are about to be recruited over. Paul might be the most mentally weak senior player I've ever seen.

Buddy you gotta stop. We lost one guy. Its sports. Im sorry but players get hurt
Yea and like I said... some teams have more depth and can overcome it. Others can't.

We have a serious depth problem so losing one important starter hurts us more than it would other teams. It's not a difficult concept to comprehend

At full strength our record is very good. We also lost games when Paul and Caleb were out

Reactions: S_Janowski
Yea and like I said... some teams have more depth and can overcome it. Others can't.

We have a serious depth problem so losing one important starter hurts us more than it would other teams. It's not a difficult concept to comprehend

At full strength our record is very good. We also lost games when Paul and Caleb were out
Depth is kind of a big thing for a team. Its not will a player or multiple players get injured, it is when. To not take that into account is really foolish

I don’t think this is a horrible take. Healthy we were really pretty good this year but depth definitely an issue and made the team fragile with the injuries.

Reactions: Scangg
Depth is kind of a big thing for a team. Its not will a player or multiple players get injured, it is when. To not take that into account is really foolish

If Mag didn’t go down you would be getting snipped.

Did you predict Mag would tear his a
ACL?

I must have missed that.

Reactions: RUDead
It's not guaranteed that every team heading into the post season is missing a starter

I was at the SDSU game the other day. Kid I was with said they have 0 injuries

How many B1G teams are currently missing a starter? I'm sure there are plenty that have all starters available

It hurts because we are Rutgers. Us making the tourney and bouncing the first game…those type of teams get honored for 30 years here.

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
Stop with MAG! Please! He’s not the reason we suddenly stink!!

This loss had ZERO to do with depth

this this this

]
RU controlled the entire game, it never was within 7. Sure we would have liked to been up more but Minny never threatened until the last 1 minute..that has ZERO to do with Mag and everything to do with our starters and coaches

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
We had some pretty bad losses while healthy. seton hall…Ohio state…Iowa.

We were never a “pretty good” team, imo.
We only have a handful of healthy losses all season and those are basically the list which includes a game we actually should have won and got screwed on

Eh seton hall beat uconn. Ohio state had some good wins. Pretty good teams lose once in a while to teams that aren’t great.

Then came purdue and that really just warped peoples minds. People really thought we were a potential 4 seed! Had we not beaten purdue, tonight still wouldve sucked but you guys wouldnt have gotten ahead of yourselves with your unrealistic expectations.

Who hacked kyk's account?

7 of our 12 losses we were missing a starter

If you think that's not related to depth, you're living in denial

Reactions: S_Janowski
Im kind of in this camp as well. I think we overachieved to start the year and have come back to earth. All though even with the talent on our roster we shouldn’t be playing THIS bad. At the end of the day in order for this year to be a success coming into the year we decided we needed Paul and Mcconnell to lead us and produce on offense. We got lucky early on with Cam and Mag but we are back to the fact of a lack of production from Paul especially

ACL?

I must have missed that.
If we win tonight we are in a 7- way tie for 2cd...LOL...We are better than the OP thinks but not as good as everyone thought after Purdue...Typically here everyone overreacts to wins and losses...

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
7 of our 12 losses we were missing a starter

If you think that's not related to depth, you're living in denial
Its definitely related to depth lol. Depth is a big part of sports haha

It doesn’t have anything to do with Mag

Mag started every game and was arguably our best defender. He brought 8pts a game to a team that struggles to score and also did well on the glass (5 rebs a game).

We went 8-4 with Mag against some of the tougher teams in the conference.

We lose Mag and have to fill his 25 minutes a game across a very thin bench.

We then go 2-5 against a bit of easier schedule of conference.

Sorry you can’t tell me that has nothing to do with Mag.

ACL?

I must have missed that.
Nah but i did say depth was an issue in my preseason prediction. Again, its sports. Its not will someone get injured its when will they get injured

Mag started every game and was arguably our best defender. He brought 8pts a game to a team that struggles to score and also did well on the glass (5 rebs a game).

The narrative that losing an 8ppg 5rpg player can sink a program just points to depth being a MAJOR issue that people conveniently ignored

The narrative that losing an 8ppg 5rpg player can sink a program just points to depth being a MAJOR issue that people conveniently ignored

Agree but I don’t think you made your vascetomy bet because you were assuming we would lose a starter for the rest of the year….which is essentially what it came down to.

Of course injuries can happen but the vast majority of teams don't lose a starter for the season. Kyk makes it seem like a lock to happen to every team

We needed to stay healthy and unfortunately we didn't

Agree, in general, but tonight had nothing to do with Mag. We should have won that game by 15.

Agree but I don’t think you made your vascetomy bet because you were assuming we would lose a starter for the rest of the year….which is essentially what it came down to.
Nah i said that due to a lack of depth. Didnt know who would get hurt but its sports and every year someone does. I actually noted caleb at the beginning of year dealing with a knee issue and also pointed to his back issues hes always had.

Again, very very foolish to just think no one would ever get hurt. Very foolish

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT