ADVERTISEMENT

From Paul Mulcahy Twitter

Greene I saw the transition in my own family. My grades and SATs were only slightly better than my younger sister who is four years younger. I was admitted to every college in New Brunswick . My sister was waitlisted and didn’t get in until late June I believe. I do not think I would get in today.

Obviously a typo. For years a few people on this board have been saying that all of the smart kids look down on Rutgers and want to head out of state.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Keep in mind that what you are referencing the SAT too

The 1320 sat is the 90th percentile...which is very good as an average score

But, as a frame of reference ...the average and median. SAT score is now about 1050

When I took it 87...the median SAT score is 920.

So, old guys like me, carefully not to compare the SAT score today to our SAT score of “our time”...apples and oranges

Still an OUTSTANDING number and even better for the school of business

Keep in mind that what you are referencing the SAT too

The 1320 sat is the 90th percentile...which is very good as an average score

But, as a frame of reference ...the average and median. SAT score is now about 1050

When I took it 87...the median SAT score is 920.

So, old guys like me, carefully not to compare the SAT score today to our SAT score of “our time”...apples and oranges

Still an OUTSTANDING number and even better for the school of business

Interesting to compare over time.

FWIW my SAT in the late 90's (I am RU class of 2000) was exactly 1320, and I am almost certain it was 90th percentile at that time. Maybe 91st or 92nd...can't find the exact stats (I did find the average...between ~1010 and 1020 while I was in college).

I am confused...The average score that Paul gave is not accurate?

EDIT..... oh the 1068 is the average score from all SAT takers and not RU.

The RU Honors College is gaining in stature even with the wealthy families. I know several that had older children who didn't give Rutgers a visit. Both now have daughters at the RU Honors College and one had offers from two Ivies while the second had offers from UVA, BC and Georgetown.

I live in one of those NJ towns where students at the top of the class have not given Rutgers a sniff. This even happened with my own kids. But the other day I wore an RU hat into the local deli and the kid behind the counter couldn’t stop telling me how excited he is to be going to the RU Business School, how hard it is to get into, etc. He was really, really pumped up. Made my day.

Is this 1319 score out of a perfect score of 1600 or out of 2400?

Hasn't the SAT become a three part test with a maximum score of 2400?

My SAT score in 1976 was 1130 and I thought that was pretty good (I did get into Rutgers with it). I have no idea how to compare it to scores of today but back then if someone in my high school broke 1300 it was a pretty big deal.

I think college has gotten so expensive and the “future of work” somewhat unclear that it’s made state schools a hell of a lot more appealing — even to upper middle class parents. That might be contributing to this up-tick in competitiveness.

RU also has a lot more mainstream visibility now due to the football program’s solid 10-year run & establishment of the Block R as a “identity” for the RU brand.

Lots of seniors here in Cranford heading to Rutgers, including my son (School of Engineering). When it came down to it, you cannot beat the value for such a world class education. But I can't lie, it was dicey there for awhile thanks to Ash and Jordan.

As an aside, lots of kids heading to Seton Hall this year also. They offered free applications and are throwing a lot of money at the good students. Wonder if this is an attempt to raise their own academic profile.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I was able to fog a mirror....I’m guessing I fit the village idiot quota since I barely beat the mid-80’s median....glad to hear smart kids are getting in now!

I occasionally work with high school kids in affluent towns and they seem to have a pretty good opinion on Rutgers as do their parents. I find that Asian and Indian students have a better opinion than some of the rich white families. I think the move to the Big Ten has helped a lot along with the recent campus constructions. The honors college has been great for the reputation as well.

I occasionally work with high school kids in affluent towns and they seem to have a pretty good opinion on Rutgers as do their parents. I find that Asian and Indian students have a better opinion than some of the rich white families. I think the move to the Big Ten has helped a lot along with the recent campus constructions. The honors college has been great for the reputation as well.

One thing's for certain: The number of kids driving Benzes, Beamers and Maseratis around campus has gone up big time!

Lots of seniors here in Cranford heading to Rutgers, including my son (School of Engineering). When it came down to it, you cannot beat the value for such a world class education. But I can't lie, it was dicey there for awhile thanks to Ash and Jordan.

As an aside, lots of kids heading to Seton Hall this year also. They offered free applications and are throwing a lot of money at the good students. Wonder if this is an attempt to raise their own academic profile.

I don't think it was Ash and Jordan as much as parents and kids are finally figuring out that walking out of college with six figure debt is an enormous drag on your life.

I don't think it was Ash and Jordan as much as parents and kids are finally figuring out that walking out of college with six figure debt is an enormous drag on your life.

Agreed, but I was referring specifically to my son. Big time sports was important to him and he's been a huge Rutgers fan since he was 4 or 5, but had become so disenchanted with all the losing and embarrassment he was looking at other schools.

Agreed, but I was referring specifically to my son. Big time sports was important to him and he's been a huge Rutgers fan since he was 4 or 5, but had become so disenchanted with all the losing and embarrassment he was looking at other schools.

There is no doubt that big time sports can have a big impact on where 17-18 year olds go. Rutgers is losing that edge with football.

Bottom line, no kid who has options wants to go to a school that has a reputation as being a "loser" or punching bag. Just be competitive. Like under GS. Your eyes don't lie, when you watch a game and see your lines being pushed back, you realize that you have zero chance of winning.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The numbers I am reading are of the kids who are admitted to RU, not the kids who are coming. Maybe this is how this is reported these days, but it doesn't seem quite right to me.

The numbers I am reading are of the kids who are admitted to RU, not the kids who are coming. Maybe this is how this is reported these days, but it doesn't seem quite right to me.
The tweet says “incoming class” and “7500 students accepted our offer”. Are you looking at different numbers?

The tweet says “incoming class” and “7500 students accepted our offer”. Are you looking at different numbers?
Basically, yes. There is something wrong here. A score of 1320 is somewhere between the 88th and 93rd percentile nationally (depending on whether you use all college applicants, or just kids who took the SATs). If you look at the RU statistics on the University website, it says that the mid 50% is in the range that might make the average 1319, as in the tweet. But it also says that these are the kids who are admitted to Rutgers, not necessarily the kids who end up on campus. RU admits around 58% of its applicant (yep, same as when you applied, folks), or slightly over 20,000 applicants. The RU New Brunswick stats (the ones reported) are that about 1/3 of the kids take RU up on the offer and come here.

The relevant question is what are the stats on that group? I'm guessing the average entering first year student has a mean SAT well below 1320. Furthermore, the College Board lets you send only your best scores now, and many universities (don't know about RU) pick the highest verbal and the highest math to use. Why? Because it then lets them report higher scores for the student body.

But hey, if this is how the game is played, so be it. I looked up the stats for PSU and Maryland. We sit in between those two.

Rutgers entry into the Big Ten and merger of the medical school into Rutgers have , in my opinion, had enormous positive influences on Rutgers. Years from now Barchi will be praised as a very fine college president.

Reactions: Scarlet Engineer
Jon, I think we are just starting to see the positives of the Med School merger because some of the previous UMDNJ alumni may not be saying Rutgers when patients or others ask them where they went to school. That is now changing as we are just about to see in a few years a tsunami of doctors,dentists,etc. who will be saying RUTGERS when asked. In addition, the numbers of nurses graduating from the three campuses has grown,especially on the Camden campus. The overall view will be much more positive because many people are very impressed by these titles which we have not been able to claim in the past. This is also an area where everyone in the public encounters from time to time. I know we have an excellent philosophy department but most people are not going to see a philosopher three or four times a year.

Jon, once the new RWJ Barnabas Center is opened, will you be having anyone from the Sports Medicine on your podcast to talk about the benefits to RU athletes and current and future benefits to the growth of Sports Medicine programs for RBHS students. I would think there will be more interest from high school kids thinking of Sports Medicine and undergrads considering Rutgers for those types of Health careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT