ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 17 Iowa: Dogged Resolution

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
The early season losses certainly put a question mark on where this team was headed and everyone wondered what happened to the team we thought we knew. How it could it bleed out so bad? Yet on the brink of oblivion, Rutgers has responded in such remarkable ways that are fulfilling the love tank of Rutgers fans. The character of this team has been questioned at times. We as fans have been very demanding. Yet this team continue to quell our fears showing incredibly moxy and pluck. The defense tonight was beyond elite. Perhaps one that will down in RAC history as one of the greatest team performances ever. This wasnt one guy...this was everyone. Locked in and loaded like a well oil machine churning out defensive stop after defensive stop, forcing at least a half dozen shot clock violations. Thoroughly smother the best offensive team and player in the Big 10. I said after half that the defense was going to have to single handedly going to have to win this game. That they did. Missed layups, turnovers, missed opportunities on offense, no problem, RU just went down and got the stops. Keeping their eye of the prize, never flustered when the shots did not go on, a stark contrast to a game like Penn State. The wheel kept turning and chugging.

Something has to be said for having a veteran team. This is your classic example of a veteran team "knowing". They have been through these wars before. Never seen such tenacity from a group of kids than tonight. Dogged resolution....Rutgers was going to continue to do it their way tonight even if that journey was going to be incredibly difficult. Balls of steel tonight. Rutgers was riding the starters and two of them going down in cramps. It was evident some of them were battling some fatigue in the late stages but they were not going to let this one go. Their coach "knows" too. He has been through this before. More rapid than eagles, his coursers they came. And Pikiell whistled and Pikiell shouted and Pikiell called them by name On Omoruyi, On Mulcahy, On Caleb, On Baker On Harper and Reiber! Mr Pikiell had them pounding nails and chewing tacks. Creating a beautiful ugly mosiac that only a Rutgers fan could appreciate.

First the first time in my life, I experienced my heart sinking from my chest to the pit of my stomach as that baseball heave was caught cleanly by Murray just beyond the 3 point lead. This was not happening again. **** no! No it did not happen again, it was a great look, it fell short. The gods smiled at Rutgers again. Winners win but almost always they get some luck somewhere down the line. Like these things even themselves out. Was that a bad call on Murray on Harper? How can you call that with 2 seconds left away from the basket. Poppycock I say! I do not want to hear anything. Its part of the game. You take what you get and you never apologize or you never feel bad for getting a lucky call down the stretch and especially since RU has seemingly been on the wrong side of way too many of these.

Cliff just a monster on the boards with 14 and while the shot wasnt going down, he certainly is growing into his role as a defensive warrior. Coming back from his cramping issue that looked scary, he effected almost every play inside. Not Myles yet but the leap Cliff has taken in the last few weeks. A man becoming a stud. Iowa could really get nothing going inside nor outside. Caleb just harrassed Bohannon totally and made him rush everything. Quiet offensively he pulled down 7 boards, it was all about defense for him. Geo Baker struggled mightily with his shot but his block around the 10 minute mark which led to a layup and the drive to the hoop where he was fouled and drained 2 free throws was the catalyst for Rutgers making it a rock fight the last 10 minutes. Game was tied at 38 but from then on this became a slugfest where neither team would budge. RU would keep Iowa from a fg for over 9 minutes. Rutgers would be almost as futile hitting just 2 buckets in about 8 minutes. But doggone it Rutgers was not going to lose this one. Rutgers fittingly would lean on Ron Harper down the stretch. It was time for Ron to take over, he didnt have a lot of shots 30 minutes in. Ron would score 8 of RU's last 10 points in the final 9 minutes, 4 of them on free throws including the game winners. Ron was just 5-10 for the night. Credit Iowa, they didnt give anything easy to Ron all night and the battle between him and Murray seemed more defensive than offensive. Fitting that both were involved in the final plays that decided the game. Paul Mulcahy certainly an up and down game. No shot at all tonight but he did hit one of only 2 3s for RU but Paul gutted it out with a mercurial 39 minute night and dished out 7 assists. Yes that turnover late really was bad but Paul isnt perfect yet he played his part tonight as floor general. You dont want to just hand Iowa easy transition opportunities and I thought Paul was pretty good at controlling the tempo of this game which was not going to work to Iowa's favor.

The bench got some minutes and for the majority including Hyatt who was a dreadful 0-7 and could be regressing and Mag 0-3 seems to have lost confidence. However the surprise continues to be the growth of Dean Reiber. 4 points 7 minutes, 1 block but 2 assists and a crucial one to Ron for a layup with about 3:20 to give RU a lead 44-43 that they never would relinquish. The emergence of Reiber as a player that can be a plus player changes everything. If he can continue to play his role and to make the most of his opportunity, RU might just be able to survive the times that Cliff finds himself in foul trouble. Have to give props to Agee, forced into action because both Cliff and Dean picked up 2 fouls, Agee had a quick flurry of 4 points. Again thats what role players do, he fulfilled his role. Its all Pike asks of him.

The RAC crowd was solid tonight. Again another surprising 7k or so, Yes the incessant mask requirement does mute the loudness in the RAC no doubt. It was tough for the fans to get involved in the first half and the beginning stages of the 2nd half but I felt they really came through at times late and the student section was full and put in a strong effort. Certainly another assist awarded to the fans tonight. Rutgers continues to defend their house in the Big 10. If all the Big 10 games were played at the RAC, RU would be favorites to win the league.

Going forward, its the same mantra. Game by game. Hope to take the confidence of knowing how to win, knowing how to come back from adversity and find that dog in them that will give them the resolution to keep pounding nails right to the finish. Hopefully Minnesota game gets played. Obviously it presents different challenges against a team that is surprising with some younger talent where again RU will need to create their own energy. This win was rough on the ticker. I am sure others are feeling the same way. Enjoy this win for a couple of days. This is turning into exactly like the "farewell tour" we were expecting to see at the RAC this season

The early season losses certainly put a question mark on where this team was headed and everyone wondered what happened to the team we thought we knew. How it could it bleed out so bad? Yet on the brink of oblivion, Rutgers has responded in such remarkable ways that are fulfilling the love tank of Rutgers fans. The character of this team has been questioned at times. We as fans have been very demanding. Yet this team continue to quell our fears showing incredibly moxy and pluck. The defense tonight was beyond elite. Perhaps one that will down in RAC history as one of the greatest team performances ever. This wasnt one guy...this was everyone. Locked in and loaded like a well oil machine churning out defensive stop after defensive stop, forcing at least a half dozen shot clock violations. Thoroughly smother the best offensive team and player in the Big 10. I said after half that the defense was going to have to single handedly going to have to win this game. That they did. Missed layups, turnovers, missed opportunities on offense, no problem, RU just went down and got the stops. Keeping their eye of the prize, never flustered when the shots did not go on, a stark contrast to a game like Penn State. The wheel kept turning and chugging.

Something has to be said for having a veteran team. This is your classic example of a veteran team "knowing". They have been through these wars before. Never seen such tenacity from a group of kids than tonight. Dogged resolution....Rutgers was going to continue to do it their way tonight even if that journey was going to be incredibly difficult. Balls of steel tonight. Rutgers was riding the starters and two of them going down in cramps. It was evident some of them were battling some fatigue in the late stages but they were not going to let this one go. Their coach "knows" too. He has been through this before. More rapid than eagles, his coursers they came. And Pikiell whistled and Pikiell shouted and Pikiell called them by name On Omoruyi, On Mulcahy, On Caleb, On Baker On Harper and Reiber! Mr Pikiell had them pounding nails and chewing tacks. Creating a beautiful ugly mosiac that only a Rutgers fan could appreciate.

First the first time in my life, I experienced my heart sinking from my chest to the pit of my stomach as that baseball heave was caught cleanly by Murray just beyond the 3 point lead. This was not happening again. **** no! No it did not happen again, it was a great look, it fell short. The gods smiled at Rutgers again. Winners win but almost always they get some luck somewhere down the line. Like these things even themselves out. Was that a bad call on Murray on Harper? How can you call that with 2 seconds left away from the basket. Poppycock I say! I do not want to hear anything. Its part of the game. You take what you get and you never apologize or you never feel bad for getting a lucky call down the stretch and especially since RU has seemingly been on the wrong side of way too many of these.

Cliff just a monster on the boards with 14 and while the shot wasnt going down, he certainly is growing into his role as a defensive warrior. Coming back from his cramping issue that looked scary, he effected almost every play inside. Not Myles yet but the leap Cliff has taken in the last few weeks. A man becoming a stud. Iowa could really get nothing going inside nor outside. Caleb just harrassed Bohannon totally and made him rush everything. Quiet offensively he pulled down 7 boards, it was all about defense for him. Geo Baker struggled mightily with his shot but his block around the 10 minute mark which led to a layup and the drive to the hoop where he was fouled and drained 2 free throws was the catalyst for Rutgers making it a rock fight the last 10 minutes. Game was tied at 38 but from then on this became a slugfest where neither team would budge. RU would keep Iowa from a fg for over 9 minutes. Rutgers would be almost as futile hitting just 2 buckets in about 8 minutes. But doggone it Rutgers was not going to lose this one. Rutgers fittingly would lean on Ron Harper down the stretch. It was time for Ron to take over, he didnt have a lot of shots 30 minutes in. Ron would score 8 of RU's last 10 points in the final 9 minutes, 4 of them on free throws including the game winners. Ron was just 5-10 for the night. Credit Iowa, they didnt give anything easy to Ron all night and the battle between him and Murray seemed more defensive than offensive. Fitting that both were involved in the final plays that decided the game. Paul Mulcahy certainly an up and down game. No shot at all tonight but he did hit one of only 2 3s for RU but Paul gutted it out with a mercurial 39 minute night and dished out 7 assists. Yes that turnover late really was bad but Paul isnt perfect yet he played his part tonight as floor general. You dont want to just hand Iowa easy transition opportunities and I thought Paul was pretty good at controlling the tempo of this game which was not going to work to Iowa's favor.

The bench got some minutes and for the majority including Hyatt who was a dreadful 0-7 and could be regressing and Mag 0-3 seems to have lost confidence. However the surprise continues to be the growth of Dean Reiber. 4 points 7 minutes, 1 block but 2 assists and a crucial one to Ron for a layup with about 3:20 to give RU a lead 44-43 that they never would relinquish. The emergence of Reiber as a player that can be a plus player changes everything. If he can continue to play his role and to make the most of his opportunity, RU might just be able to survive the times that Cliff finds himself in foul trouble. Have to give props to Agee, forced into action because both Cliff and Dean picked up 2 fouls, Agee had a quick flurry of 4 points. Again thats what role players do, he fulfilled his role. Its all Pike asks of him.

The RAC crowd was solid tonight. Again another surprising 7k or so, Yes the incessant mask requirement does mute the loudness in the RAC no doubt. It was tough for the fans to get involved in the first half and the beginning stages of the 2nd half but I felt they really came through at times late and the student section was full and put in a strong effort. Certainly another assist awarded to the fans tonight. Rutgers continues to defend their house in the Big 10. If all the Big 10 games were played at the RAC, RU would be favorites to win the league.

Going forward, its the same mantra. Game by game. Hope to take the confidence of knowing how to win, knowing how to come back from adversity and find that dog in them that will give them the resolution to keep pounding nails right to the finish. Hopefully Minnesota game gets played. Obviously it presents different challenges against a team that is surprising with some younger talent where again RU will need to create their own energy. This win was rough on the ticker. I am sure others are feeling the same way. Enjoy this win for a couple of days. This is turning into exactly like the "farewell tour" we were expecting to see at the RAC this season

The RAC was more or less dead until that Geo block around the 10 minute mark. Woke everyone up and they finally got into it for the rest of the game.

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
Excellent recap that captured my two takeaways besides the complete effort and unrelenting team intensity--the emergence of Cliff on defense and his much improved rebounding in addition to Reiber making a positive contribution in the few minutes he was out there. I thought you were too tough on Hyatt--yes his shot was off but his defense was ok and he got some key rebounds. Mag is playing with some hesitancy which is frankly understandable with all his missing teeth . But I do think he will improve once he becomes more comfortable out there.

Excellent recap that captured my two takeaways besides the complete effort and unrelenting team intensity--the emergence of Cliff on defense and his much improved rebounding in addition to Reiber making a positive contribution in the few minutes he was out there. I thought you were too tough on Hyatt--yes his shot was off but his defense was ok and he got some key rebounds. Mag is playing with some hesitancy which is frankly understandable with all his missing teeth . But I do think he will improve once he becomes more comfortable out there.

I want to like Hyatt but his handling at times his poor. He is trying to do too much but why? Its not like he didnt play at LSU. Also the shot selection..seems like Hyatt wants to prove something. D is coming around for him.

That was a fun game to watch. Incredible defensive performance. I was so impressed they were able to keep it up the whole game.

Hyatt was 0-7 but 3 of them were from that time he got a rebound and missed 3 put backs.

Reactions: Scangg
Hyatt was 0-7 but 3 of them were from that time he got a rebound and missed 3 put backs.
I thought he D'd up Murray well a few times but offensively his shot looked terrible. Would still prefer him over Palmquist

I want to like Hyatt but his handling at times his poor. He is trying to do too much but why? Its not like he didnt play at LSU. Also the shot selection..seems like Hyatt wants to prove something. D is coming around for him.

Feel like he is pressing in his limited minutes to get shots up to prove he deserves more time. As we know that is not the way to earn the trust, it is playing within the game and taking the opportunities when they come along (i.e. Maryland and some other BIG games). No problem with his couple open 3 looks but def seems to be pressing. One positive of his game is he was working on the glass on a couple of those put back attempts and can get to the line better than some on this team. Still an adjustment but agree his defense is growing and that will earn the trust of the staff for more minutes.

Regarding Hyatt, he seemed to suffer from a common issue with role players fighting for limited minutes. Mag too seemed to be forcing his shots last night instead of taking them in the flow of the game.

One thing amazes me with RHJ, is that he never seems to force his shot. Not because he's limited in his offense, but he just seems to always take them at the right time. Usually it's only when he's got an open look or a driving lane is open, otherwise he immediately passes off.

Great recap Bac and a great team win for RU! The U.S. has a missle system know as the "Iron Dome" for its ability to knock incoming missles out of the air. That is what Rutgers defense was last night, it was an Iron Dome of the entire Rutgers team knocking anything the hawkeyes put up out of the air.
While the offense was lacking, we know Rutgers can have a great offense and a great defense. Rutgers can be an elite team if they figure out to making buckets, playing the blistering defense that showed last night and play for an entire 40 minutes. Pike is doing a great job with these young men and I think in time he will get us to the top levels of college hoops!

One of the most anazing aspects of this game was the score being tied 10-10 for over five minutes.Neither team had a answer on offense because Rutgers stopped the driving lanes and fast breaks while on offense too many turnovers and missed shots around the basket. If either team had a pulse on offense, they could easily have built a double digit lead.It was a defensive war from the opening tap to the last shot of the game.The questionable referee calls throughout the game and expecially fouling Harper with less than two seconds remaining will be talking points whenever this game is discussed.

Reactions: RW90 and RUDiddy777
Great review per usual.

Rutgers has so often been the victim of putrid officiating so I am stunned that for once in the history of both the Big East and the B1G, that we finally received the benefit of a bad call and/or bad officiating. I guess that means we’ve “officially” arrived. Having said that, that was a ridiculously bad call.

I’m not complaining. I thought Harper not getting an “and 1” on his drive a few minutes earlier was also ridiculous.

Thought the 12 points we got from the Center position in the first half kept us in the game. Reiber is getting better right before our eyes. Agee provided a nice spark with two clutch shots and deserves some kudos.

Like the offense going through Paul in the half court offense but still very leery of him bringing up the ball especially in a press situation. He stopped his dribble in the exact wrong spot. I think I would rather Caleb or Ron handling the ball in that situation. Having said that it looked like he might have been fouled, couldn’t tell from camera angle.

That was a defensive effort for the ages. Cliff is becoming better and better defensively. Oddly with Geo’s shot not falling, he is becoming better and better defensively. It’s cool to see. Agree with Pike that Caleb is best defensive player in the league. Bohannon and McCaffery were frustrated. In the last minute Iowa was afraid to shoot wide open good looks. When does that happen?

Harper’s foul shots were as clutch that he has ever made.

If Hyatt and Cliff make the bunnies maybe we win by 8. If they start hitting those we may be really good. I think they will.

Only downer is that Mag is really struggling and actually hurt us offensively.

I also thought as outstanding as our transition D was, there were several times after we made some nice shots that Iowa quickly responded with shots of their own and took away some momentum. Guess it will give Pike something to coach after one of the most impressive defensive efforts in RU history.

Great win!

Last edited:
Reactions: NBHPRU and Degaz-RU
RU's NET goes from 113 to 105.

Iowa's NET goes from 21 to 25.

I thought we would see more dramatic swings than that.

In other news, only one team in the bottom 40 of the NET rankings has a quad 1 or quad 2 win. Yes, you guessed it. That team is Lafayette and the victim is RU.

Reactions: Eagleton96
It's the next day and I still cannot believe how good our defense was last night. This was not a game where Iowa was just "off" with its shots, as is often the case when teams have poor nights.

No - Our defense absolutely SUFFOCATED them into multiple shot clock violations (or desperation heaves with the clock running out) and airballs. They could barely get an open look all night, and it wasn't because Iowa had an off night, but because of our stifling defense.

I cannot imagine there will be a more elite defensive effort in the entire B1G this year.

It's the next day and I still cannot believe how good our defense was last night. This was not a game where Iowa was just "off" with its shots, as is often the case when teams have poor nights.

No - Our defense absolutely SUFFOCATED them into multiple shot clock violations (or desperation heaves with the clock running out) and airballs. They could barely get an open look all night, and it wasn't because Iowa had an off night, but because of our stifling defense.

I cannot imagine there will be a more elite defensive effort in the entire B1G this year.
Its a two way street with Rutgers scoring only 48 points.

Bohannon missed a bunch of unguarded looks as did others. They also had a bit of an off night. But so did we. We missed a bunch of 3s and bunnies and our shooting percentage was way below our average. So, in summary, we beat them because we were better and we deserved to win.

Reactions: NBHPRU
Hyatt definitely is looking to prove he can be a scorer off the bench. It's a role that's needed.

He and Mag both are looking to get shots up as soon as they get in the game.

Hyatt's defensive effort has gotten much better. You can tell he is really trying harder

Hyatt still is struggling to find his role and get comfortable. He's got a nice stroke when he's on and can create off the dribble and get to the rim. Draw contact and pick up fouls. It's just not quite coming all together for him just yet but he has so much potential and his body is great for bball. Tall muscular with body control

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Bohannon missed a bunch of unguarded looks as did others. They also had a bit of an off night. But so did we. We missed a bunch of 3s and bunnies and our shooting percentage was way below our average. So, in summary, we beat them because we were better and we deserved to win.
Every basketball game ever played will have some open looks. Those open looks don't go down when you have been harassed all night and out of any type of rhythm

Missing unguarded looks is a product of defense. Guys having "an off night" is a product of defense.

Good defenses will speed up the offense; disrupting their flow and rhythm; making them play at a pace they are not comfortable with. A simple task becomes difficult when you have to do it faster than normal and without rhythm. Those misses, including the wide open looks, were because of our relentless defense.

Missing unguarded looks is a product of defense. Guys having "an off night" is a product of defense.

Good defenses will speed up the offense; disrupting their flow and rhythm; making them play at a pace they are not comfortable with. A simple task becomes difficult when you have to do it faster than normal and without rhythm. Those misses, including the wide open looks, were because of our relentless defense.
Bohannon has been in a multi game slump. I don't think it's taking anything away from RU to acknowledge that both teems weren't shooting well compared to their averages, and that contributed to the low score on both sides.

Cliff gets visibly better every game
Imagine by tournament time if he keeps improving...

Also chances we play teams in the dance who have no one to stop him. The B1G has some big strong 5's that you don't see everywhere. We could matchup with a smaller conference school where Cliff is a matchup nightmare

Getting ahead of ourselves Yada Yada Yada

Mentally to me, every game here on out should be treated as a tournament game. You beat Lafayette and UMass, you get a lot more slack, but now you gotta just go win.

As far as the crowd goes, offense is what really gets a crowd going. Sure, a big stop is great but then when you go down the other end and can't score it's deflating and frustrating for the fans. There weren't any offensive runs to sustain that juice.

The defense was totally lights out tonight. They have to figure out a way to bring that every game.

The defense was totally lights out tonight. They have to figure out a way to bring that every game.
This. Offense won't be there every game but the defensive intensity and effort should be there nearly every single game

As to the point of Paul picking up his dribble, I agree. Don’t pick up dribble just across halfcourt esp. along sideline. I’m sure Paul knows, and realized his mistake as soon as he made it.

As to the point of Paul picking up his dribble, I agree. Don’t pick up dribble just across halfcourt esp. along sideline. I’m sure Paul knows, and realized his mistake as soon as he made it.
He was thinking I can draw the defense by attacking here and swing it over to Geo as soon as I cross half court. It didn't work out. In general you don't want to do that though

He was thinking I can draw the defense by attacking here and swing it over to Geo as soon as I cross half court. It didn't work out. In general you don't want to do that though
Problem with Paul is that he dribbled so fast into that coffin corner he had no out if he couldn’t get a clean pass off. He was totally out of control and he didn’t have the reversal to Geo available because he has crossed halfcourt so fast and Geo was in the backcourt still. Generally you want to make a couple reversals to get the defense moving and then attack.

I thought he D'd up Murray well a few times but offensively his shot looked terrible. Would still prefer him over Palmquist
Me too - Palmquist looks timid out there. Hyatt will be a big contributor at the end of the season and especially next year.

Problem with Paul is that he dribbled so fast into that coffin corner he had no out if he couldn’t get a clean pass off. He was totally out of control and he didn’t have the reversal to Geo available because he has crossed halfcourt so fast and Geo was in the backcourt still. Generally you want to make a couple reversals to get the defense moving and then attack.
I agree with the rest but I don't think he was totally out of control at all. It was just a poor decision

Reactions: cm_13
Doesn’t relate to my post at all. Not sure what your point is. Is Rutgers’ elite defensive performance any less elite merely because Iowa also played good defense on the other end?

I do agree that good D can throw a team off and they then miss open looks when they get them. But from the Rutgers offense perspective I thought we missed some easy looks right out of the gate. Mulcahy specifically early.

Not looking to criticize, but just saying.

One of the most anazing aspects of this game was the score being tied 10-10 for over five minutes.Neither team had a answer on offense because Rutgers stopped the driving lanes and fast breaks while on offense too many turnovers and missed shots around the basket. If either team had a pulse on offense, they could easily have built a double digit lead.It was a defensive war from the opening tap to the last shot of the game.The questionable referee calls throughout the game and expecially fouling Harper with less than two seconds remaining will be talking points whenever this game is discussed.

Caught the beginning at a restaurant think it was 5-5 or 7-5 when we headed over. Walked into the RAC 15 mins later and it was 10-10.

Bac - great write up as always !

Get to my age, Bac, and that feeling you had with your heart - I have experienced it many times...lol

Could not believe that was almost deja vous again.

Epic defensive effort !

Offensively game was very reminscent of Lafayette as we missed gimme after gimme.

Unsung hero of game was Caleb.

Could not believe Courtney Greene - of all refs - gifted us that foul call at end of game. He historically kills us to the point that my entire section warns me when they see him pre game...lol

I owe him...won't yell at him for 1 game.

Bit concerned about Minnesota game given possible emotional letdown and fatigue of starters.

Our bench vs Minny will be critical ! Need production !

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Two things. One, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good offensive team throw up so many air balls. And two, one of the announcers commented Rutgers on a 6-0 run, over 8 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT